Monday, April 27, 2015

Coveted recruit Ingram to declare Monday

Brandon Ingram of Kingston High School in Kingston, North Carolin, is seen before the Three-Point Contest in the Under Armour Elite 24 Skills Competition on Friday, August 22, 2014, in New York.

Monday is Decision Day for prize basketball prospect Brandon Ingram, who is ranked No. 3 in the recruiting Class of 2015 by ESPN and No. 4 by Rivals.com.

Ingram, a 6-foot-8, 198-pound forward from Kinston (North Carolina) High, will at a 5:10 p.m., Central time, news conference announce for one of three in-state schools — Duke, North Carolina or North Carolina State — or one of three out-of-state contenders — Kansas University, Kentucky or UCLA.

“I think it’s going to come down to the best relationships and where I can develop myself the best to get to the next level after college basketball,” Ingram told the Kinston Free Press on Friday. “I’m just going to go back with my family and discuss it.”

Ingram averaged 24.3 points, 10.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 3.0 blocks and 1.6 steals a game in leading Kinston (26-4) to its fourth straight state title. He had 28 points in a 60-43 state-title-game win over East Lincoln, 15 points in the recent McDonald’s All-America game and 12 in the Nike Hoop Summit.

“The duration of his recruitment and the fact that UNC, Duke and N.C. State all want him — and have for a while — have made Ingram’s recruitment perhaps the fiercest in North Carolina in recent memory,” wrote Andrew Carter of the Raleigh News and Observer.

Ingram is friends with former Kinston High standouts Jerry Stackhouse and Reggie Bullock, who both went to North Carolina. In fact, Ingram played on Stackhouse’s AAU team. Kinston High also is the alma mater of Cedric “Cornbread” Maxwell (UNC Charlotte), Charles Shackleford (N.C. State) and Craig Dawson (Wake Forest). Ingram’s brother, Bo, played at Texas Arlington.

National recruiting analysts have deemed Duke the favorite to land Ingram, partly because Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski was the only coach recruiting Ingram to receive two in-home visits in a recent week’s span. UNC’s Roy Williams was the last coach to hold an in-home, last Wednesday. Meanwhile the News and Observer noted Ingram wore a Kansas shirt to school Friday.

Ingram’s dad, Donald, was asked about KU in an interview with kinston.com.

“Kansas has James A. Naismith, where basketball originated. I can’t say enough about Kansas as far as the staff and the way we were treated. The facility is just dynamic. ... I like the facility and I love the coaches; they’ve been good and they contact us on the regular. ... They call and talk about your lifestyle, ‘What’s going on with you?’” Donald Ingram said.

Brandon Ingram, who can play the 1 through 4 positions, was measured 6-9 1/2 in shoes at the Nike Hoop Summit with a 7-3 wingspan. He scored 12 points off 5-of-6 shooting with three rebounds in the Hoop Summit.

Wrote draftexpress.com: “Although he didn’t get a ton of looks in 26 minutes, Ingram was the US Team’s most efficient player as he showed his versatile skill set and potential on the offensive end. Ingram knocked down a spot up mid-range jumper, hit two pull up jumpers, got the defender up in the air on the perimeter with a head fake, and got to the rim in a straight line and finished. He also got to the line off of a straight line-drive going right. Ingram is very skilled and has excellent size and length for wing. He has a lot of work to do on his body and can improve his overall effort level but there’s a lot to like about Ingram, and he showed why on Saturday (at Hoop Summit).”

The bottom line on his decision was provided to Zagsblog.com by his dad.

“We have done our homework. I think the decision he makes Monday when he makes the announcement will be very satisfactory to everyone. What we’re asking is we know a lot of people are institution fans, whether its Carolina, Duke, N.C. State, Kansas, Kentucky, you are a fan of the institution. We are asking regardless of where he goes to continue to be a Brandon Ingram fan. You don’t have to be a fan of where he goes; you can still be a Brandon Ingram fan. That’s all we ask. We appreciate the support everyone has given us and we’re going to continue to support him,” Donald told the website.

Comments

Rodney Crain 7 years, 2 months ago

Hoping for the best, prepared for the expected.

Encouraged by his fathers comments, wondering if it is enough.

Karen Holmes 7 years, 2 months ago

So he wore a KU shirt to school on Friday. Hope that is a nod to US.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 2 months ago

don't count on him, just because he wore a Kansas shirt on Friday to announce Kansas. a lot of these kids will do whatever to try and keep people guessing, although I do feel they Brandon and his family have a lot of respect and interest in KU, I would be totally shocked if he went anywhere other then Duke unfortunately. Plus with all 3 of the schools recruiting him so hard and being in state, close to home it would be almost impossible to pull him out of state. will keep up to date and paying attention but by far figuring a Duke announce, just like just about everyone else. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 2 months ago

I predict, he is picking a major college to play next year. You heard it here first! No need to applaud, but I do accept donations.

Luca Rossi 7 years, 2 months ago

Really like this kid and would be elated if he picks KU today. Will continue to be a fan of his wherever he picks though, as long as its not Kentucky of course. It sounds like Brandon has put a lot of thought into this decision which makes me think KU has a decent chance.

Will be doing some celebrating if any of these last 3 big recruits pick KU. Rock Chalk.

Jim Stauffer 7 years, 2 months ago

Wondering since I don't know the rosters where he has the best opportunity to start from day one. Would seem to me it was Duke and KU, but as I said, I don't know the rosters well enough to be sure of that.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 2 months ago

Two Brandon's on KU would be fantastic, however,

C-R-I-T-I-C-A-L to Kansas is spelt D-I-A-L-L-O...or something like that!!!

Glen Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

Seems like he's going to be staying in Carolina, but would be ecstatic if he came to KU. Either way, I wish this kid the best and hope that if he doesn't come to KU that our fans don't act like tools and hate on a kid for his college choice. It's embarrassing for anyone from any school to be so hateful to these recruits for simply picking another school.

Benz Junque 7 years, 2 months ago

It would be foolish to hate on a kid for choosing to play for the defending national champion that is also located in his home state but some people are simply foolish. I am sure I will cringe at the reaction of a few KU fans but hopefully they can control themselves well enough to not be a total embarrassment to the program.

Benz Junque 7 years, 2 months ago

Do we really need so many different articles all stating the same thing? WE KNOW, HE'S ANNOUNCING TODAY.

I fully expect that he will end up at Duke. It sounds like Kansas did a great job pitching their program to him and was a serious consideration but I think the allure of playing for an excellent local team will be too much to overcome. If Winslow stayed at Duke then I think he would have been ours but so it goes.

Scott Burton 7 years, 2 months ago

They say the way he has his hair cut, he is going to Duke

Jack Joiner 7 years, 2 months ago

If he can play defense he won't have any problem fitting in with Green because Green will be riding the bench more. And if Ingram can truly play 1-4 there will always be a place for him.

Michael Bennett 7 years, 2 months ago

If he doesn't choose KU I hope he goes to UNC. I'm still a fan of Roy, and they're looking really good next year already.

Nick Willets 7 years, 2 months ago

I still think I would put our chances of landing Ingram, Diallo, or Brown somewhere near 'good'. I'm back and forth on which one of these dudes would be most helpful to next year's team. Let's just get (at least) one of them.

Robert Brock 7 years, 2 months ago

Ingram will choose between Duke, Duke, and Duke. I hope that he chooses wisely.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

Being Kansas born and raised, if I had Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and KU looking at me, NO ONE could talk me out of going to KU. Simply put, it's my home and I grew up loving KU. Not sure if that's how Ingram see's Duke or UNC, but I'd say there's a good chance.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 2 months ago

Explain Willy Cauley Stein then. And wasn't there a KC area kid in the last few years that went to Duke? Too bad that Conner didn't work out. There is something to be said about recruiting the top KS HS kids. Maybe he was expected to be more like Grayson Allen(sp?), but he just didn't gain enough physically to compete.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Semi Ojeleye is the kid who went to Duke, he's actually from Ottawa, not KC, and has already transferred out of Duke and will play at SMU. His older brother played at KSU so KU didn't really have much of a shot at him to begin with.

WCS was someone with a bunch of red flags surrounding his academics, work ethic, and skill level coming out of HS. There was also speculation that his AAU team (MoKan Elite) played a big role in KU not recruiting him either. Keep in mind with WCS, that KU wasn't the only major program not touching him, Missouri was still relevant and they weren't sniffing him either. KSU was the only regional program actively recruiting him with the others being SEC schools.

Hind sight is 20/20 and knowing how WCS turned out, it would've been nice to have him (also would mean KU never lands Joel Embiid and like Landen Lucas), but there were definitely enough red flags around him to justify not recruiting him at the time.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 2 months ago

I was giving my opinion on what I would do if given the choice based on my preferences. I wasn't giving my opinion on what other recruits are or aren't doing, or what they should or shouldn't do. My statement at the end is merely an assumption from how I would feel to how I would think Ingram might feel. My comparison is between my opinion if I were in that situaton and Ingram's recruitment. Not sure how Willey Cauley Stein fits into this. Thanks for reading my post though.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Hoping to get some boys that will be 4 year players. No more 1 and dones for this program.

Tom Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. Conference championships, tourney streak, elite status...these are not necessary. Let's stop going after the top talent and just become Missouri.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't agree completely with that, Doug. I can stomach the occasional OAD, but it does seem the OADs in larger numbers just create havoc with recruiting, chemistry, system, etc. So I "mostly" agree with what you're saying, but I don't necessarily want to completely get away from it, either.

Joe Ross 7 years, 2 months ago

As long as Coach Self feels different--and he does--and as long as he remains head coach, we will see more OADs.

Ryan Zimmerman 7 years, 2 months ago

As far as top recruits, I'm afraid Bragg is it this year gentlemen... I'd love Ingram and I'd love Diallo, but seeing that Diallo has hit St John's twice and Ingram (other than a KU tee shirt) is a heavy lean in state, I think we better get going on some transfers or JUCOs unfortunately. Or Georges...

Michael Haughey 7 years, 2 months ago

Not that anybody cares, but I will not be an Ingram fan if he goes elsewhere. I detest UK, Duke and UNC. Not a fan of NC State or UCLA. If he goes to one of those schools I hope he fails miserably, and I hope he contributes to awful years for that school. I understand that I am a petty and vindictive person, a character flaw I have. But you agree with me. I felt it needed to be said.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 2 months ago

I too am a vindictive person, but not in this circumstance, not with a 17 year-old ball player, however talented. Be parsimonious in dispensing such venom--sadly, a person has only so much to spew in a given lifetime

Michael Haughey 7 years, 2 months ago

Nope, I possess an infinite amount of venom.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 2 months ago

That may be the karma that did in Alexander.

Andrew Holmes 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't agree with you at all. I detest UK, I detest Mizzou, I don't like Wichita State or K-State, but I'm not going to hope for a kids failure just because he didn't pick KU. I hope that he picks the right school for the right reasons for him and his family.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

No, I don't agree with you. I may not actively cheer for the team Ingram goes to or for him specifically, but I'm also not going to actively cheer against the kid either. I've never been a Duke fan, but that team this year was a lot of fun to watch.

William Weissbeck 7 years, 2 months ago

No it wasn't fun to watch. Okafor was the equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain. There is a real shortage of agile big men in college. There was no one that could defend him. He only beat himself. What K has figured out is that most college teams do not have the guards that can defend the drive. Late in the games this year, he simply unleashed Tyus Jones. Replay the last minutes of the UNC-Duke game at Duke. Okafor simply clears the lane. This is what Self should be doing with Mason and Selden. Also, K has figured out that you must have 5 scorers. You can take your chances on whether they play defense. K figures out who you can't guard and then goes after you. Duke was the first non top 25 defensive team to win the title in decades. They weren't even in the top 50 I think.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

You just rattled off all the reasons why I enjoyed watching this Duke team play this year. Do I wish it was KU doing that? Absolutely, but they weren't.

Caden Ford 7 years, 2 months ago

And to think Jones and Okafor had KU on their final list for their package deal....sigh

Ryan Zimmerman 7 years, 2 months ago

Going to see how my crystal ball is Got Miss St so far with Newman picking UNC for Ingram, even though Duke seems to lead Jayden Brown UCLA Thon Maker - ASU hoping Diallo picks us, but afraid of the SJU and Mullin feeding him NBA pillow talk

Ryan Shelton 7 years, 2 months ago

Rumor is Coach K was seen in OKC today for Thunder job. Will this have an effect on Ingram's decision?

Ryan Zimmerman 7 years, 2 months ago

For the love of all things Holy, please let Calipari leave the NCAA

Drew Doerfler 7 years, 2 months ago

recruiting is not looking good this year.....latest 257 has ingram to duke (no suprise) and then 5 new projections of j brown to michigan.....with zero recruits projected for ku. so not only does this hurt for next year, but it really hurts 2 to 3 years down the road because we will have no players in the 20 to 50 range developing...we will be relying upon one and dones to hopefully come in.....which we are finding out can bite you in the @#!@ when you wait for them too long

RJ King 7 years, 2 months ago

I think he's assuming Bragg gone to the NBA in 2 or 3 years.

Joe Ross 7 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps, but if he is I would argue that Kansas is not in the business of recruiting only guys who are committed to staying for four seasons. Bragg fits the description of the guy Drew says we need (20-50 range developing, not likely OAD).

Ben Simonett 7 years, 2 months ago

Correct analysis.

Glad to see i;m not alone in my perceptions

Drew Doerfler 7 years, 2 months ago

hate to say it, but coach k is schooling the other coaches right now....with ingram, he has the number 1 recruiting class this year....and won the national championship with basically one and dones.......love self, but he needs to step his game up

Ben Simonett 7 years, 2 months ago

Yup.

Callipari and K are the two coaches using the most OADs. They;re also the two coaches having the most recent success. Coincidence?

Rob Bedford III 7 years, 2 months ago

Don't worry Lucas and Selden will improve over the summer and make us all forget about all the top recruits KU missed out on.

Drew Doerfler 7 years, 2 months ago

i really hope you are correct, but i didn't really see any improvement in selden between his freshman and sophomore year........and lucas is limited by his athletic ability.....although, i do love his aggressiveness and toughness

Rob Bedford III 7 years, 2 months ago

I was beating some of the other posters to saying that. I know Selden and Lucas will not be any better. Hopefully Bragg is the real deal and can produce along side Ellis.

Michael Haughey 7 years, 2 months ago

On the bright side, I think over the last few years KU now has the most 5 star recruits list the Jayhawks as their 2nd to 4th picks of where they're going! I think I might invest in KU hats, since so many of the best players purchase them and leave them unselected.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Not a surprise, UNC has Justin Jackson coming back and we have Svi and Greene while Duke had nobody coming back to challenge him for a starting spot. Do I think Ingram could've beaten Svi and Greene, probably but nobody to heat is easier than 2 players to beat.

Diallo and Maker have been the only 2 recruits for awhile now that KU has a realistic of landing. KU was eliminated from Newman's list when Selden officially returned and lost out on Jaylen Brown when Svi and Greene decided to return and lost out on Ingram when Justice Winslow declared.