Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Late Night plans set

Kansas fans unable to enter pile up at an entrance on the north side of Allen Fieldhouse after the maximum amount had been let in for Late Night in the Phog, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s 30th-annual Late Night in the Phog will run from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Friday Oct. 10, in Allen Fieldhouse, KU officials announced Tuesday.

Admission is free for the ticketless, first-come, first-served event. Fieldhouse doors will open at 3 p.m. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Doors will be closed when the arena reaches capacity. No re-entry passes will be distributed.

Because of fans storming the doors and jumping ahead of others in line last year, KU Athletics on Tuesday announced steps to ensure safety.

— KU and Lawrence Public Safety personnel will provide an increased presence.

— KU Athletics officials will open the fieldhouse entrances early if warranted by a large-enough crowd of fans gathering to enter.

— KU Athletics will increase communication with fans throughout the day, using social media, conventional media and on-site communication.

— As on game nights, KU students will enter through their customary separate entrance on the northeast side of the fieldhouse.

In anticipation of the construction of the DeBruce Center at the northeast corner of Allen Fieldhouse, workers have installed fencing that restricts access to some sidewalks next to the fieldhouse. The best way for students to access their entrance is to approach that entrance from the west side of the parking garage.

Late Night, which will include skits by KU’s men’s and women’s teams and scrimmages of both squads as well as various videos, will be shown live on the Jayhawk TV Network, including ESPN3. It also will be aired on radio stations 1320 and 610. Fans are asked to bring nonperishmable food items to be donated to “Just Food” of Douglas County.

Zimmerman update: KU target Stephen Zimmerman, a 7-foot senior center from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, will wait until late February to orally commit to a college, his mom, Lori, told several recruiting services on Tuesday.

Lori told Zagsblog.com her son will not be signing an official letter at any time.

“It doesn’t protect the student-athlete, only the university,” Lori told the website. Indeed, if a player signs a letter with a school and the school’s coach leaves, the player must attend the university unless he receives a release.

Zimmerman, who is ranked No. 10 in the recruiting Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, will visit North Carolina on Oct. 3, KU on Oct. 10, Kentucky on Oct. 17. UCLA on Oct. 24 and Arizona on Oct. 31. He’s also considering UNLV.

Brown may not wait until spring: No. 2-rated Jaylen Brown, a 6-7 senior forward from Wheeler High in Marietta, Georgia, who has said all along he’d pick a school in April, now tells ESPN.com there’s a chance he could sign in November.

Brown, who will visit KU on Oct. 10 and Kentucky on Oct. 17, also has UCLA, Georgia and Georgia Tech on his list.

Bragg may sign early: Carlton Bragg, a 6-9 senior forward from Villa Angela St. Joseph High in Cleveland who is considering KU, Kentucky, Arizona, Illinois and UCLA, tells ESPN he is “leaning toward signing during the early period and get it over with.”

The No. 14-ranked player will attend KU’s Late Night.

Newman update: No. 3-ranked Malik Newman, who will sign in the spring, has yet to set up his visit date to KU. He’s headed to Texas A&M; on Oct. 10, Kentucky on Oct. 17, North Carolina State on Jan. 11 and also will likely visit Miami.

Overseas option: Brown says he and other top preps could follow Emmanuel Mudiay’s lead and skip college to play overseas a year leading up to the NBA Draft. Former SMU signee Mudiay will bypass college for China where he’ll earn $1 million. He also has a shoe deal reportedly worth $3 million.

“Absolutely,” Brown told Evan Daniels of Scout.com, asked if he would consider playing for pay in China instead of a one-and-done college season.

“I have a family to take care (of). I don’t want my mom to work anymore, so it’s something I’ll have to talk about, and if it’s on the table for me then I’ll definitely think about it.”

Comments

Greg Lux 8 years, 2 months ago

China may end the OAD situation before the NBA can raise the age. How can a young man from a poor family pass up a Million dollars that can get his family out of trouble? I totally understand any players who wants to help his family going overseas and passing on one year in collage. I know not all will feel the immediate need but some will and for those who need that immediate help God Bless them.

Steve Corder 8 years, 2 months ago

Agree completely. NBA-D League proposals by owners like Mark Cuban and other pro venues will help return the "student" (I know, here comes the sneering skeptic) to college basketball and provide ancillary benefits to the fans and campus community.

Glen Miller 8 years, 2 months ago

Like Self will be leaving KU...... I mean come on. Let's be honest, he's going to wait to see who's leaving and who's staying as far as players go. Not the coaches. I don't have a problem with it, but his mom should have just been straight up about it. It's not violating any rules to wait and see what schools have playing time available.

Benz Junque 8 years, 2 months ago

Robert Robinson 8 years, 2 months ago

While I understand things might be tough, and its hard to pass up money, I can't see, my mom anyway, telling me to pass on a free education to go make money so she can quit her job. Again, I know money is probably tight for them, but if it were my kid, I think I would work a few more years to make sure my kid got what was best for him, not me. Just saying.

Freedman Moor 8 years, 2 months ago

Have you considered that he may be both capable of making decisions for himself and genuinely concerned about his mother's general we'll-being? Just saying.

John Boyle 8 years, 2 months ago

"don’t want my mom to work anymore"-Brown My mom still worked while I went to college and many years after that. Why does Brown think that his mom shouldn't work to make a living??

Freedman Moor 8 years, 2 months ago

Why do you feel like your life situation is even remotely relevant to his? This is why so many athletes now act like statues during interviews. Regardless of what they say, someone is going to find reason to be self righteous.

Aaron Paisley 8 years, 2 months ago

Zimmerman's sounds like he's leaning to Kentucky. Calipari us the only coach on his list that may not be around next year should he return to the NBA. There's no legitimate reason to believe any of the other coaches are going anywhere so the only reason for Zimmerman to jot sign an LOL is if he's leaning to Kentucky and Calipari decides to jump back to the NBA after Zimmerman commits.

I don't see Mudiay having a ton of influence on players headed overseas. The same talk happened a few years ago with Brandon Jennings and there wasn't a significant increase in players headed overseas then. The only two high profile players who have gone overseas out of high school have been two kids who were deemed academically ineligible by the NCAA and that will continue to be the trend going forward on that front.

Suzi Marshall 8 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts exactly on both points.

As for kids signing for cash early, more power to them. I'm all in for the way baseball does it. Let the kid go pro out of HS. If he signs a LOI, then I'd like to see him ineligible for the NBA draft for two years. Off shore opportunities will always be an option.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 2 months ago

When in the history of college did anyone consider 6:30 - 9:30 LATE NIGHT. Move the scrimmage back to 0000.

Aaron Paisley 8 years, 2 months ago

The people in Indianapolis at NCAA headquarters.

Mike Riches 8 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know if Late Night will be broadcast on ESPN3 like it was last year (the scrimmage anyway)?

JD Roth 8 years, 2 months ago

Yep I preferred it when it was really Late Night, plus with High School Football on Friday nights it doesn't work for me. Another thing, cut out the disorderly storming the entrance, cutting people off crap. That shouldn't happen at KU. Reminds me of when KU trailed by 12 at halftime and then won by 12 against Arkansas in 1991 to go to Final Four. Team arrived early in morning to a packed Allen Fieldhouse. Students were warned to stay off the court when team arrived. Students attempted to rush the court and were rebuffed and made to look silly by man with microphone. Know your role, if you smell what The Rock is cooking...