Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Freshman ‘Svi’ Mykhailiuk jet-lagged, but on campus

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk of Ukraine competes during the U16 Eurobasket 2013 first-round match between Ukraine and Latvia at Palace of Sport in Kiev, Ukraine, on Aug. 8, 2013.

Kansas University basketball freshman Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk flew out of an airport in Ukraine about 10 p.m. Central time on Sunday and, after a 191⁄2-hour journey that had connecting flights in France and Minnesota, pulled into Lawrence about 5:30 p.m Monday.

“He’s worn out,” KU coach Bill Self said Monday night, referring to the 6-foot-8, 195-pound shooting guard, who starts his first-semester classes today after spending the summer playing for both Ukraine’s World Cup and Under 18 European championship teams.

“I asked him, ‘Are you wanting to work out tomorrow?’ He said, ‘Heck, yeah, I’m going to work out,’” Self added. “He’s worn out, but he’s also excited to get started.”

What’s ahead for the 17-year-old Mykhailiuk in his first few days as a Jayhawk?

“He’ll be getting organized, signing up all his paperwork and hopefully be in class sometime tomorrow (today),” Self said. “I mean, we’re only going two hours a week (of workouts in accordance with NCAA rules) and playing pick-up. He’ll start doing everything our other guys have been doing by tomorrow afternoon.”

Self said Mykhailiuk looked great Monday, except for being travel-weary.

“Physically, nothing’s changed to me,” Self said. “He’s a long, lean kid. I don’t know what he weighs. I asked him if he lost some weight over the summer. He said, ‘No.’ If anything, he may have gained a couple pounds. He’s been lifting and doing whatever he can with the national team.”

Self naturally is pleased Mykhailiuk, who signed with KU on May 21, fulfilled his commitment. He was named MVP of the Under 18 championships after averaging 16.0 points in nine games off 41.8 percent shooting. He played sparingly for the World Cup team.

“He had opportunities to stay over there (and play professionally),” Self said. “I’m sure there were numerous opportunities after this summer. He committed to us. He certainly held true to his commitment. He’s with us. His job is to work hard. It’s our job to put him in position where he can be the best player he can be. I’m excited. I know he’s excited, and certainly we’re all ready to get going. Even though we still have a little bit of time, it’s different. We only have 31⁄2 weeks before our first practice (Oct. 3, with Late Night Oct. 10). Certainly it’s good to have our full complement of players here.”

Self, who will hold an in-home recruiting visit with Rivals.com’s No. 3-rated player — Malik Newman of Jackson, Mississippi — today, said the two-week Boot Camp conditioning program for his players will begin Monday. Mykhailiuk will, of course, participate in that activity.

“I enjoy September. I am looking forward to going into homes (of prospects all month), selling people our product,” Self said. “We think our product is pretty good. I’m certainly excited about that.”

Comments

Rodney Crain 8 years, 3 months ago

Вітаємо Svi, or Добро пожаловать Svi!!!! Glad you are here.

Suzi Marshall 8 years, 3 months ago

Ласкаво просимо в Канзасі. (Welcome to Kansas)

Сподіваюся, що ви прийшли до розуміння Лоуренса, як ваш будинок далеко від дому. (Hope you come to accept Lawrence as your home away from home.)

Удачи! (Good Luck!)

Ron Sterling 8 years, 3 months ago

You say that, but Putin is operating like he's Khrushchev.

Rodney Crain 8 years, 3 months ago

Khrushchev could act like the USSR was on an island, Putin can't. He keeps pushing and he will be dealing with more than just bread lines.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 3 months ago

"The 1990s called. They want their foreign policy back." - President Obama

I wonder how many votes this comment won for the president...

Jack Wilson 8 years, 3 months ago

So I make a joking comment to posters that I have exchanged comments with before -- Suzi and Rodney .. noted as "just kidding" about "commies" and "better dead than red" after they post in Russian, and it gets removed. I noted that this is now 2014 as comparison.

It was meant in the tone that there is a big difference in the last 30 years. Now we have someone from the former USSR on our college campus and two posters typing in Russian.

I can't even imagine that such a comment is inappropriate or controversial. Whoever decides which comments are removed needs to open their minds a little bit here.

But let me hit on something else -- is it controversial or inappropriate to say "better dead than red"? Actually, I would suggest that such a statement is completely reasonable. I was turning 18 in the mid-80s, registered for the selective service, and would not have thought twice about fighting the USSR and communism. Perhaps the person that deleted my post was not even born at that time. But for those of us that were, that feeling sticks with us. And I feel the same way today.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 2 months ago

Звичайно, чому не повинен я помічаю, що?

Rodney Crain 8 years, 2 months ago

Jack, Вы нашли Google Translate, да? :)

Suzi Marshall 8 years, 2 months ago

Я сподіваюся, що ми не збираємося робити це весь сезон!

Rodney Crain 8 years, 2 months ago

Ні, ні, це занадто багато роботи LOL

Rodney Crain 8 years, 2 months ago

I was not sure so my "welcome" comments were in Ukrainian, and the other in Russian (cyrillic), just to cover both bases.