Thursday, October 30, 2014

Lunch break: Self and staff hit Underground, buy students’ lunch

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self talks with a student Thursday afternoon on campus. Self and his staff stopped by the Underground at Wescoe to buy lunch.

Kansas University men’s basketball coach Bill Self, never lacking in the category of popularity points on campus, padded his total Thursday afternoon. The head coach and his staff stopped by the Underground at Wescoe to pick up some lunch tabs.

“We came up and hung out with the students – I don’t get a chance to do that very often,” Self said in a release from KU. “We were able to buy many meals for students as they went through the line to pay, so that was fun. It was a good day. It’s always great to interact with the kids. Since we had a day off today, it was a good way to relax a little over lunch.”

Some students did double-takes as Self walked by on campus. As word spread through texts, social media and plain-old word of mouth, the Underground grew even more crowded.

For about an hour, Self and his staff bought lunches, posed for photos and talked hoops with the lines of students.

“This place was packed when we came in here,” Self said. “When the students camp out (in Allen Fieldhouse), it’s amazing to me that I’ll go down to talk to them, but they never really talk to me. But I come up here and all of them wanted to talk so that was good. It was fun to hang out with them.”

Comments

Joe Ross 8 years, 3 months ago

Boy, when I read the headline I was thinking, "I hope they haven't done anything to get in trouble for giving improper benefits for the basketball team." I guess if I had know what the Underground was...

WHEW!

Allison Steen 8 years, 3 months ago

Man, I didn't think it was possible to love this guy anymore. This perked me up after a deep Royal blue depression

Suzi Marshall 8 years, 2 months ago

If Self ever tires of coaching, which I hope is never, he'd make a great politician. He has a great skill connecting with people, listening intently, polite, ability to build coalitions, instills pride, great work ethics, and has great leadership skills.

Joe Ross 8 years, 2 months ago

...so youd want to dirty up his image by having him roll around in a hog pin?

Micky Baker 8 years, 2 months ago

Bill Self is way above the level of politicians.

Greg Lux 8 years, 2 months ago

Suzi - Nothing personal but I could never put HCBS in the class of a politician. Thats like going from Class to Ass. :P

Harlan Hobbs 8 years, 2 months ago

I thing Suzi is only saying that Bill Self is the epitome of what a politician should be. He is genuine, honest, friendly, caring, and just about any other positive adjective you want to use. The fact that we have very few politicians that fill this description is really not their fault. If we would refuse to vote for them and instead put forth candidates who have the proper principles, credentials, and dedication to do what is right, we would be far better off.

Micky Baker 8 years, 2 months ago

Mabye Harlan, but a guy like Bill Self would be ridiculed in the current political environment for being too genuine and caring.