Monday, January 20, 2014

Self: KU forward Tarik Black should be fine

Kansas forward Tarik Black is helped off the court by assistant coach Jerrance Howard, right, and trainer Bill Cowgill after sustaining an injury during the second half on Monday, Jan. 20, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self said after Monday's 78-68 victory over Baylor that senior forward Tarik Black sustained a sprained ankle and was expected to be fine.

Black, a reserve forward who transferred to KU from Memphis last summer, injured his right ankle when Baylor forward Rico Gathers fell on it during a scrum for a rebound late in the second half.

As the teams walked off the floor for a timeout that had been called, Black remained under the Baylor basket writhing in pain and grabbing his right ankle and shin. At one point, Black slammed his hand to the ground in frustration.

After being looked at by trainers, the 6-foot-9, 260-pound bruiser slowly rose to his feet and walked off the floor with some help. After reaching the bench, Black walked to the KU locker room under his own power.

"He just turned his ankle," Self said after the victory. "I didn't know you could hurt him. He should be fine. He should be fine."

Comments

Chris Shaw 8 years, 8 months ago

Glad Black is okay. He's a rock for this squad. His stats aren't the greatest, but his impact being one of the few seniors is definitely noticed. Keep doing what you're doing, Tarik. Your attitude has been absolutely stellar this season and you're producing great minutes for this team.

Brad Farha 8 years, 8 months ago

Huge fan of Tarik. Going to a commercial timeout while he was still in pain on the floor......the longest minutes of the game. So glad to see him on the bench later. Rock Chalk Tarik!

John Randall 8 years, 8 months ago

Tarik has been a wonderful addition to this year's team. The trepidation I felt about his transfer has completely disappeared. I should have trusted our coaches, because his presence has been nothing but positive all season – the exact purpose for which he was brought aboard.

Early season foul problems have largely disappeared and I wonder how much his bulk and menacing appearance contributed to the plethora of cheap calls referees made without really looking at the play.

I give a lot of credit to Mr. Black for the stunning development of our inside game, especially the strides made by Embiid and Traylor under his tutelage, as well as encouragement for Ellis to steady himself through some vagaries in his production. There just is nothing negative I can say about the guy, uncertain as I was through Nov & Dec.

Short-timer or not, this is a Jayhawk we have to be proud of. His maturity in understanding himself and how to fill his role is phenomenal.

John Randall 8 years, 8 months ago

Apologies for copying above here … didn't realize I was on the CJ board when I wrote it last night.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm very glad that Black is OK. That play looked exactly like a play in middle school that broke a bone below my ankle. Another player fell on my leg from behind and over-contracted my ankle. The injury nagged me for two years and limits the motion of my right foot 16 years later.

Jeremy Paul 8 years, 8 months ago

I think Black is the most important guy on the team. Not from a numbers and production standpoint, but by being a leader, mentor, and captain. I think bringing him in was the best part of Self's recruiting class.