Thursday, February 13, 2014

Self: Decision on Joel Embiid’s availability coming Friday

Kansas center Joel Embiid looks for an outlet as he is defended by Baylor players Isaiah Austin, left, and Brady Heslip during the first half on Monday, Jan. 20, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self said he will likely decide Friday whether freshman center Joel Embiid will play Saturday against TCU.

"He feels better," Self said. "You know, he's had, let's see, Tuesday, Wednesday and today, Thursday, off, and he feels better. And like I said before, you know, the MRIs and things like that have been done tell us that there's a good chance he's going to get better quickly, that it's not something that should linger too long, if, in fact, we treat it and rest it appropriately now.

"A lot will depend on how he feels 24 hours from now, if he's able to practice," the coach added. "And if he's able to practice then he'll play, and if he's not able to practice then I would say he would not play."

KU sophomore walk-on Tyler Self had foot surgery on Wednesday and will be sidelined four to six months, Coach Self said Thursday, noting the surgery was to fuse bones in his son's foot.

The younger Self tore ligaments in the top of his foot in October. He will red-shirt this season and have three years of eligibility remaining.

Comments

Bryce Landon 8 years, 6 months ago

Given the opponent is TCU, I think we can afford to sit Joel a little longer.

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 6 months ago

I would rather rest him now to damage any injury further. He is still growing and maturing and this maybe part of his body adjusting along with the fact he has to be more physical in his style now rather than playing smaller guys in high school.

Jim Darnall 8 years, 6 months ago

I am surprised that he has been allowed to play at all lately. It is obvious that he is not up to it.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 6 months ago

REASONS FOR JO JO TO SIT SATURDAY.

1] TCU stands for Tall Center Unused.

2] It will be good team practice if Jo Jo gets into foul trouble and has to sit for large portions of both halves in a future game.

3] He can keep AWIII and Tyler company on the bench.

4] After TCU, he next two games are much more significant...especially Saturday the 22nd when I will be in the house. :).

5] Tarik will be healthy, Jamari will be pumped up to make amends and there's always Landon...something tells me we'll be just fine!!

6] Saturday is a National Holiday in Cameroon [ I just made that up but it sounds good].

7] Jo Jo will need to recover from his Valentine's Day candy hangover.

8] My Dad used to make a "visit" with me and my four brothers if things were getting a little out of hand. I hope Jamari's "visit" goes better.

9] Frankly, I wouldn't care if he did practice.tomorrow...he has taken a beating this year and this would be the perfect game for him to rest and recharge his batteries for the stretch run.

Titus Canby 8 years, 6 months ago

"1] TCU stands for Tall Center Unused" - That makes my day. Thanks.

Walter Bridges 8 years, 6 months ago

If we don't need him, don't play him. We have some big games coming up and would really like to see him get back to loose agile style of play that he seems to have lost.

Mick Allen 8 years, 6 months ago

Walter, basketball comment only, I agree with you. Winless TCU appears to be in a death spiral after getting hammered by Baylor 91 to 58 last night. If we can't beat TCU on our home floor without Joel we are in serious trouble on down the line.

Scott MacWilliams 8 years, 6 months ago

Okay, here's the plan. Get a 9' LazyBoy and put it right at the corner of the floor at the end of the bench. Little side table with 4 quarts of gatorade and a big bucket of popcorn. Oh yeah, and two pompoms. That is Jojo's perch for the game...

Rock Chalk, Etc!!!

tommy glenn 8 years, 6 months ago

I know we've been lucky to this point of the season, but seriously can we make it to April with Tyler now unavailable for the rest of the year?

John Lee 8 years, 6 months ago

@tommy glenn -- Precisely my thoughts. Joel will return, but Tyler is out. One saving grace is Tyler still has 3 years eligibility for us, unless in the meantime he decides since he's red-shirting this year anyhow to go to a different team that would give him more limelight and PT (like Wichita State)