Saturday, December 20, 2014

Self goes away from probable starting five

Kansas forward Cliff Alexander (2) shoots a basket in the first-half against the Lafayette Leopards Saturday, Dec. 20, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Self talks starters, improvements from Oubre and Mickelson

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self answers questions following his team's easy win over Lafayette. The coach discusses changes to two of the team's five starters for the game, as well as the standout performances of Kelly Oubre Jr. and Hunter Mickelson.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Oubre, Mason, Mickelson discuss KU's 27-point win

Kansas University basketball players Kelly Oubre Jr., Frank Mason III and Hunter Mickelson meet with media members after contributing to a blowout victory agains Lafayette on Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Download podcast

KANSAS 96, LAFAYETTE 69

Box score

Kansas University sophomore wing Brannen Greene, who was ticketed to start his second straight game on Saturday, missed the entire first half as penalty for arriving late for a weight-training session on Friday.

Greene’s replacement in the opening lineup was Kelly Oubre, Jr., who erupted for a game-high 23 points in a 96-69 win over Lafayette.

“I’m not surprised at all. If you’ve had a son or daughter or anybody, maybe they are late to dinner, too. Maybe they got a late start and were late to school. It happens sometimes,” coach Bill Self said.

“We had weights at 1 o’clock and he got there at 1:30, not the end of the earth. In the situation he was in, he came up to me and said, ‘Coach, I screwed up.’ He handled it well, not a big deal.”

Meanwhile, freshman Cliff Alexander, who Self said on Friday would make his first start, came off the bench.

“Cliff just had a bad day (at practice) yesterday, a bad day,” Self said.

Self said, partly because of this situation, he will never comment on his probable starters again.

“I think people around here care about that stuff, where most places they don’t care from a media standpoint,” Self said of probable starters in games. “You guys do here, which is fine. Certainly everything is magnified. I will tell you this. I learned a lesson. I’m not going to tell you guys who is starting so that way you’ll never know. Obviously when we announced yesterday our starting five and you’ve got two guys not starting, that’s what creates a problem. From this point forward you guys will never know who I’m starting.

“If I hadn’t announced who our starters were, you guys would never know that stuff. I’m never going to tell you again. No big deal at all, no future punishment (for Greene over this incident) at all.”

Greene had three points in six minutes the final half.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Lafayette

By the Numbers: Kansas beats Lafayette, 96-69

By the Numbers: Kansas beats Lafayette, 96-69

Comments

Brett McCabe 7 years, 11 months ago

I didn't realize that Roy had returned to coach the team. I guess we owe the coach an apology for listening to his projected starting five.

At least we won't make that mistake again.

Craig Carr 7 years, 11 months ago

Why should he comment? No upside and there are at least 8 players competing to start each game. It isn't in his contract to comment, it is his team so that ends it. Nonsensical comparison to Roy.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 11 months ago

Self has stated over and over and over again in the media that who does and does not start is not something he puts a lot of emphasis on, that what matters is the guys who play when it counts the most; in crunch time, down by five, or any other situation with the game on the line. The media keeps asking him about it regardless, despite his numerous expressions of slight annoyance with their obsession with it. So I say he has every right after last night to just say "You know what, we'll just not talk about that any more."

Matt Peltier 7 years, 11 months ago

I guess i am confused by your comment Brett. Players are still going to start despite Self not announcing it the day before. They will still get to have their name called before the game. He just isnt going to announce it to the media, never said the players wouldnt know. I guess you feel you are entitled to that. I am 100% confident that Coach Self is right here and you are completely wrong

Gary Bedore 7 years, 11 months ago

Many fans do care about who starts. It's probably the question I get the most and it's been this way a long time. If he doesn't want to give the starters, it's no big deal, but it one question that will go unanswered and it's a question many fans inquire about all the time. First thing I heard after the game was somebody wondering about Cliff starting the second half and if that meant he would start from now on instead of Lucas.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 11 months ago

Brett is just having a bad day guys I mean its very vital that WE john Q public knows how is starting, I mean so what if we know who is starting when they line up for the jump at the start of the game? why its just insane not to know who is starting lmao come on Brett lets worry about the important stuff. and to even say Williams and self in the same breath lol we are so much better off with who we have as coach but tell you what i'll do I will contact coach self and i'll have him fed-ex you the starting line for every game say oh - - - - by mid wekk will that work for ya so you'll know? GO HAWKS