Friday, December 5, 2014

KU confirms hire of David Beaty as new football coach

Clint Bowen staying as defensive coordinator, assistant head coach

Kansas University receivers coach David Beaty, right, congratulates Todd Reesing on a play in this file photo from the 2008 season.

A little less than eight hours after the news first surfaced, Kansas University officials confirmed this evening, through a press release, that David Beaty had been hired as the school's 38th football coach.

“I am very excited to be back at Kansas,” Beaty said in the release. “I am especially excited that Clint Bowen has agreed to stay on as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. Clint will be a huge part of our success going forward and I am fortunate to have him on my staff.”

Athletic director Sheahon Zenger and a search committee that included consultant Chuck Neinas identified Beaty as the replacement to former KU coach Charlie Weis largely because of his reputation as an up-and-comer in the profession.

“David Beaty is well-respected in the football community and brings to KU great vision, passion and energy,” Zenger said in the release. “He has a bright football mind and is known as one of the best recruiters in the nation.”

Beaty, 44, comes to KU on the heels of three years as the Texas A&M; wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator.

Under Beaty’s tutelage, the Texas A&M; wide receivers have been a record-setting group. With first-team All-American Mike Evans leading the way in 2013, the Aggies set team records for receiving yards, receiving touchdowns and completion percentage. Evans set the A&M; record with 1,394 receiving yards and matched the receiving touchdowns record with 12. He also shattered and re-broke the single-game receiving record with 279 yards vs. Alabama and 287 yards against Auburn. Evans went on to become the Aggies’ first wide receiver to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. Texas A&M; was the only team in the nation with four 50-catch, 600- yard receivers in 2013.

Beaty joined Kevin Sumlin's Texas A&M; staff after serving as offensive coordinator at both Kansas and Rice. He was the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at KU in 2011, and helped develop one of the Big 12’s top all-purpose threats in wideout D.J. Beshears.

During his first tour at KU, he helped receivers Kerry Meier and Dezmon Briscoe develop into NFL-caliber players. Meier, who was taken in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft, received All-Big 12 accolades in 2008 and 2009, while Briscoe, a sixth-round selection in the 2010 NFL Draft, was an All-American and first team All-Big 12 pick in 2009. In 2008 five different KU players produced a total of 15 100-yard receiving games. Among the school records set by KU wide receivers in 2008 were season receptions, game receptions, season yards, game yards, and season touchdowns.

“I am pleased to welcome Coach Beaty back to the Jayhawk family,” KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little said. “He is an outstanding fit for the University of Kansas and his work to build a competitive football program will advance our athletics department and the reputation of KU nationally.”

Beaty and his wife, Raynee, have two daughters, Averie (15) and Alexa (10). They are all in town and are expected to be at tonight's KU basketball game between the Jayhawks and Florida Gators at Allen Fieldhouse.

David Beaty Coaching Experience

1994-97 Naaman Forest HS (Texas) Assistant Coach

1997-00 Garland HS (Texas) Assistant Coach

2001 North Dallas HS (Texas) Head Coach/Athletic Coordinator

2002-05 Irving MacArthur HS (Texas) Head Coach/Athletic Coordinator

2006-07 Rice Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers

2008-09 Kansas Wide Receivers

2010 Rice Offensive Coordinator

2011 Kansas Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers

2012 Texas A&M; Wide Receivers

2013-14 Texas A&M; Wide Receivers/Recruiting Coordinator

Personal Information

Hometown: Garland, Texas

Education: 1994 – Bachelor’s Degree from Lindenwood College

Family: Wife – Raynee and daughters Averie (15) and Alexa (10)

Comments

Ryan McAtee 7 years, 10 months ago

Rock Chalk... no matter your opinion, it's time to get to work!

Kevin Randell 7 years, 10 months ago

As long as they never bring back the white helmets with the all white uniforms I will be fine.

Darin Bradley 7 years, 10 months ago

Solid hire. The program needs a shot of energy and retaining Bowen as DC helps in that effort. Beaty needs to bring in a top notch staff and at all costs try to keep Mitchell. RBs have been the lone bright spot during this down period. Hopefully we'll get an announcement on the OC soon.

Rock Chalk!

W Keith Swinehart II 7 years, 10 months ago

This is GREAT NEWS for KU. It is particularly great that Bowen is continuing with the program.

Duane Parr 7 years, 10 months ago

I have a wait and see what happens attitude on the hire. I just pray that it works out and I'm also happy to hear that Clint Bowen and family are still part of the program. My final thought on the hire. I hope it works, good luck! and welcome back David Beaty.

Logan Johnson 7 years, 10 months ago

YOU ARE ALL STONED. BYE BYE ZENGER, I'LL GIVE IT 2-3 YEARS. I can't say that I am surprised. This is why KU Football has never been respectable

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 10 months ago

I'll give it 3-5. I know he's leaving just don't know if he will be fired or he'll bolt for a better job.

Mark Bowers 7 years, 10 months ago

Logan, I read this articles title and went straight to the comments with the same exact thoughts. Thanks for another jaw dropper Zenger, and for reminding us why getting an AD from a nowhere like Illinois State is as bad an idea as hiring Weis and Beaty. Awesome, lets settle into another 3-5 yrs of an empty stadium after 2nd game of the season and a total of 11 wins maybe.

Dale Rogers 7 years, 10 months ago

I'll get behind Beaty but am very sad for Bowen. I hope Bowen is getting a significant raise. He deserves it.

Touting Beaty's record with successfully developing record-setting wide receivers is fine but for any of that to work here we first need an OL that can buy the QB a little time to find the WR's.

Derek King 7 years, 10 months ago

Going to have to agree with most everyone else and disagree with Logan.

It's like Barry Switzer always said -- "it's not the Xs and the Os, it's the Jimmys and the Joes". HCDB doesn't need to coach, he needs to manage the coaching staff and recruit talent, which appears to be his forte. If he can get the same caliber of kid (or close to it) to come to Lawrence, we should be in pretty good shape.

Bill Hill 7 years, 10 months ago

I appreciate the way KU and Beaty are showing Bowen respect. He's earned it. We've got two guys leading the way who know they have something to prove and are paid accordingly. If successful they will have earned that next big payday wether it is here or somewhere else. Hopefully we can load up this class and set the foundation for a new era of KU Football!

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

It's always a crapshoot. Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll both flopped during their first head coaching gigs in the NFL and now they are the toast of the league. My point: if Beaty works out or if he doesn't work out, everyone will have something to point to on his resume to say "See, I told he would/wouldn't work." If it works, that would be pretty great to have two young coaches like Beaty and Bowen leading the program in that if ambition didn't win out, we could have the ship set right for the next ten or twenty years. One can only hope and dream. Snyder showed it is at least theoretically possible.

Randy Bombardier 7 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't have to be a crap shoot. For the most part its the up and comers that are the crap shoots unless you get a good coach and then tie his hand s. Jerry Kill would not have been a crap shoot but we lacked either finesse or balls to get it done. At least we csn upgrade the staff as a whole and we have Bowen to keep us stable long term. But honestly not sure about him as dc.

Richard Duran 7 years, 10 months ago

Recruit some studs on both sides of the line, coach 'em up we'll get better. Get the next QB in the fold and coach him up too. RB should be good for a while, WR should be good if we keep Kiesau as WR/OC. Unless Montel has the most glorious rebirth in CFB history, we need a talented kid coming in. I hope this guy works out!

Robert Brown 7 years, 10 months ago

I have to assume the AD did his due diligence. I hated the Charlie Weis hire from the start. This is sort of the anti-Weis hire. Maybe he is not the sexy hire but I bet he understands what he needs to do to turn the program around which I don't believe Weis ever did.

Beaty could end up being another Art Briles. We will find out. I feel like this hire indicates that the AD understands there will be no short cuts to success and we have two ready to roll up their sleeves and start doing the hard work necessary to be successful.

Erich Hartmann 7 years, 10 months ago

Cozart could be an athletic 6'3 WR...

This hire seems pretty logical, as would have Warriner. Bowen's tryout was marred by this roster's poor line play in the trenches, so while I heartily applaud Clint's effort, we need major upgrades in our recruiting. FIX special teams, too!

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 10 months ago

Talent development is the absolute most important thing that David Beaty needs on his coaching staff even more than elite recruiting. Know what you system you want to run on both sides of the ball (we already know what the defensive scheme is). Identify the skill sets most important for those systems, recruit players who have those skill sets and develop those players in the weight room, make practices way more intense and tougher than gamedays are, and stick to that plan because it won't happen over night and there are no shortcuts to establishing a new culture within a program.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 10 months ago

Great hire in my opinion.

It would have been best for Bowen's career to leave KU...spread his wings and experience some success at a better program. I think keeping Bowen could cripple his career.

For example, Beaty was able to bring success to Rice and aTm by his steller recruiting, and helping to develop successful wide receivers and a great offense.

Bowen needs an experience like Beaty had.

Like Brett McCabe mentioned, I hope we keep Campo and Mitchell.

We need a different D-line coach.

I wonder what happens to Reagan and Kiseau ?

Jim Jackson 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm with you Doug, love the hire. We need a guy who has the energy, passion and blend of toughness and love that players will respond to.

Rick McGowwan 7 years, 10 months ago

Meet the new staff, the same as the old staff. I was hoping for a lot of turnover with a new HC, but it looks like we are getting parts of the same team that brought us the past 2-4 years.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

Not saying it's a bad hire and there's no point in arguing on and on about it, but isn't "energy, passion, and [a] blend of toughness and love that players will respond to" exactly what Bowen brought?

Stephen Johnson 7 years, 10 months ago

disappointing hire. more of the same. maybe Bowen can save him.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

"It would have been best for Bowen's career to leave KU"

That would be accurate if Clint was in it for his career, but maybe he was honest during the interim news conferences about it not being about him. It's about the school and program being successful. If CB was about CB, then leaving KU on a path to becoming a HC would be best. By staying, he proves his devotion to his school and program, and has the chance to be very successful, even if he isn't the face of the program. Occasionally, there are assistants/coordinators like that in football.

Jim Pendleton 7 years, 10 months ago

I am frankly good with this hire. Glad that Bowen is staying on as well. These guys have been together before, so they could be a good pair. Depending who the OC is, could be an up and coming trio!

In addition to being a well respected coordinator, Beaty has worked under a lot of good offensive minded coaches, people who have had success. This is all a plus, and our offense has nowhere to go but up.

For those that wanted someone like a Harbaugh, and I was one of those for awhile, I think that would have been harder to do this time around. He was coming from another college when he almost came here a few years ago. Now he is coming from the NFL, and frankly I don't think we could afford to wait until early to mid January or later for him to maybe be available. No guarantee he will even come back to college. New coaches are always a little behind the eight ball as it is, and if you wait until January, you are really behind with signing day rapidly approaching. With this being a strength of Beaty's, we should all be hopeful this will be a plus going forward, as it is just early December. Lot of recruits will be in this weekend and next.

Finally for those who wanted Bowen, I sympathize to a degree. Yes he is a KU guy, the team likes him, and they did play hard for him. He was in a difficult position to say the least. Think most people would agree he had to win at least a couple games, and that being said, they almost won two others plus the one they got, so who knows what might have been had they won either or both of those. I think he did ok (sorry that's as far as I'll go). I am amazed that so many seem to think he's the guy now versus when he was an asst here a few years ago. Many didn't like him much then. I think he has come a long way, and I am glad he will still be on the staff going forward.

I respect everyone's opinion here to agree or disagree, but we need to come together and give them our support. We need things to improve and go well, if for no other reason then we must get away from this cycle of replacing coaches every couple years. I guarantee this is being used against us on the recruiting trails. I think Coach Beaty and his staff can turn that into a positive. Rock Chalk!!

W Keith Swinehart II 7 years, 10 months ago

Bowen will be fine. If KU improves his stock rises.

David Meredith 7 years, 10 months ago

Michael Cummings can start next year, but Beaty needs to scour the Texas countryside for a difference maker at QB... and hopefully hire a good OL coach, and build that position.

Freddie Garza 7 years, 10 months ago

I LIKE IT. Also, I'm glad Clint Bowen is sticking around.

David Meredith 7 years, 10 months ago

Familiar with Kansas program- check Familiar with Texas high schools- check Guy who specializes on offense, and agreeable to have Bowen run defense- check Good with boosters- check Young coaching wise- check

I think the first one is key, I highly doubt Gill and Weis knew what they were getting into, as far as the talent level, fan apathy... I am glad that Beaty has the familiarity of being here in good year and bad year.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Successfully turned around a program? Uh, no check. Has worked on a staff that successfully turned around a program? Uh, no check. (Yeah, he was on Mangino's staff but that was after all the heavy lifting had been done.) So, kind of sobering to think we just hired a guy to do a job (turn around a down and out program) at which he has no experience whatsoever.

A lot is made of our needing to recruit Texas better, but has anyone considered that the 2 coaches with any success at KU in the last 30 years (Mason and Mangino) were both from Ohio/ western Pennsylvania... so much for Texas connections.

Bill French 7 years, 10 months ago

I like the hire ! and I am glad that Clint Bowen is part of the new team. Welcome David Beaty BEAT FLORIDA !

Charlie Gaughn 7 years, 10 months ago

I can't use the word "great" for this hire yet because it looks much like a lateral move from just hiring Bowen. However, now it's time for Zenger to roll up his sleeves and negotiate a contract that is beneficial to both parties:

There needs to be 3 pots of money. The first pot is to pay base salaries for the head coach and his staff. These base salaries need to be comensurate with the level these coaches are at currently, not based on potential or what we want it to be. This is what they're paid if they don't win a game.

The second pot of money is for incentives. This will be paid out for achieving established goals for the program. This doesn't necessarily mean wins but there have to be goals set that show improvement in the program from year to year to earn the incentive pot.

Finally, and most importantly if this coach is successful, is the retention pot. Much like the incentives this pot grows with success, however, the coach is not eligible to receive these funds until a pre-established term of employment has been achieved or he is terminated by the AD.

If Zenger takes the easy route again and develops a guaranteed contract it's time to show him the door. These coaches need to understand that this is a great opportunity given where they are in their careers. They also need to understand that KU cannot continue to get "shaken down" with these guaranteed contracts.

W Keith Swinehart II 7 years, 10 months ago

Zenger knows what he's doing. Any hire contains risk as he learned with his Weis hire. Weis didn't succeed, but he added talent in the assistant coach scheme. I'm sure that was part of Zenger's thinking. Building a program is a long process. Beware of success that comes too quickly.

Robert Brock 7 years, 10 months ago

Not excited. Dr. Zenger had better get his resume updated and ready to show. Zenger is a mid-major level AD at best.

Rich McCart 7 years, 10 months ago

Being a Lawrence guy I was rooting for Bowen but I think this a good hire. He has the Texas ties for recruiting and has been here before. The only negative is that this could be just a stop in his career and not his destination job. If he turns this around the way we hope, he will have plenty of big opportunities. Maybe then we hand it over to Clint.

Charlie Gaughn 7 years, 10 months ago

One last comment. Lose the silly uniform permutations and establish an identity. I don't care if that includes a Jayhawk on the helmet or not, but trash the marshmallow look. This program needs to start thinking consistency in all aspects. Looking different each week is not what they need.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, I'm told the young kids like the ever changing uni's and we just hired a recruiter for coach, so I wouldn't hold my breath on establishing a permanent, unadulterated, simple home white road blue uniform set.

Michael Bowden 7 years, 10 months ago

Have you looked at Oregon, Ok state? As crazy as hey can be these are big recruiting pitches to these kids most kids don't just want to be good they want to look good while doing it! I'm with you some terrible uniforms have been had but the recruits of today like it.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 10 months ago

It's a fair comparison. Okie State is about 7-8 years behind Oregon, but there are a lot of similarities between the rise of the two programs.

Charlie Gaughn 7 years, 10 months ago

Have you looked at the schools that are consistently good? OU, Texas, Alabama, and even K-State. They identify their programs with a look that never changes. If you let the kids drive the program we'll continue to be as good as we've been.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 10 months ago

The uniforms are not intended to appease the alumni, they're designed to appeal to the players and potential recruits and if the uniforms can help sway a kid to KU, it's worth it.

Jerry Walker 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd rather appeal to a recruit that has the intention of laying a "snot bubbler" on a wildcat instead of styling on the field.

Bville Hawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Adidas pays KUAC a lot of money every year to exert some control over our football uniform look.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

Both Bowen and Kiseau were effectively interim coaches, thus, though they didn't "retain" those roles (Kiseau's fate technically unknown as of yet), they were not technically fired. But I think for those who wanted to retain Bowen or the Bowen/Kiseau tandem it sort of feels like they are being fired and at least for me personally, I didn't feel like they deserved to be "fired". They took over in a tough situation, one that, especially with Kiseau, they had a limited role in creating, and yet, it seemed that the program showed a pulse under their guidance. That is, if hypothetically, Weis had been fired before the season and Bowen/Kiseau started the season (and had a DC to allow Bowen to focus on being a HC), their may have been some discontent already, but they wouldn't have been fired. This is obviously a moot point right now, but I think, psychology, it makes a difference if you ask "Should Beaty or Bowen be hired?" versus "Should we fire Bowen/Kiseau to hire Beaty?" But whatever, we're here now and the eternal optimist in me raises his tireless head to face a new dawn (for crying out loud, I'm a Bears fan who can't quit Jay Cutler - how's that for eternal optimism?!!).

Clara Westphal 7 years, 10 months ago

I am disappointed that Clint Bowen didn't get the job. I have a feeling he was kept on the staff to placate the people , ncluding a lot of the students ,who wanted Bowen to be the new coach. He worked very hard with what he had - which was someone else's staff and roster - and was as successful as anyone else would have been given the same circumstances.

I am not a fan of Zenger. He needs to go. And take Bonnie Hendrickson with him. She has had one winning season in 12 years.

David Kemp 7 years, 10 months ago

Clearly Bowen would have been lost. Putting Beaty and Bowen together will work to assemble a good stable of assistants. THAT will be the key to a successful program.

Michael Bowden 7 years, 10 months ago

I just want to know who the new staff will consist of! He must of spit out some big names for this supposed committee. We don't have a better team until we have a better staff. Some are hoping we keep some of the staff,to this I say why? So we can go on being a 2 or 3 win team every year?

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

In talking about the staff, you have to be specific. For example, no one is saying keep the special teams or QB coach. Similarly, virtually everyone says keep Reggie Mitchell, the RB coach. I actually think outside of Bowen, most people are probably more or less in agreement about which coaches they want to keep, replace, or are indifferent to. Kiseau's future role or lack of one is probably now the only controversial question among fans.

Michael Bowden 7 years, 10 months ago

What's the controversey? Our better two receivers development was done else where. McCay it seems his ability has declined at Kansas rather than get better. Mundine is the only one who may have gotten better under Kiseau. You can make the case for Mitchell and that's it. I agree with a few people about Bowen needing to go somewhere else to develop.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

Nigel King came here because he wasn't getting playing time at Maryland (was it?), and he gets here and looks like an NFL prospect, so it seems Kiseau gets some credit for that. Mundine didn't just get better, but went from a guy who had paddles for hands to a guy who got national recognition and might get NFL looks. But it's also Kiseau's OC performance. Of course it's easy to criticize our offense, but relative to the performance we've seen for 4 1/2 years, the half season of Kiseau looked good (again, "relative" to past performance). For some, there was enough there to be curious what he might do with a full off-season of control and prep.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 10 months ago

Even the non transfer WR's were significantly improved in their route running and actually catching the ball. It completely blew mind when the WR's said Kiesau was the first coach to teach them how to properly catch a football.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

McCay could not have declined at KU. He was nonexistent at OU for 2 years. As minimal as his performance at KU was, it was still better than at OU.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

Reagan's future would have been in question, except that it was answered before it was asked in the middle of the year.

Gone!

Who will be the new OL coach?

The DL coach ironically is one of the coaches that was retained during the last change. As marginal as our DL was, it would seem like he has done a decent job with the bodies available, and seems to be moving it in the right direction. Though we lose both DT starters, I'm recalling that we got some decent recruits in this area last year, and another already this year.

Michael Lorraine 7 years, 10 months ago

I think Clint is making a mistake by staying. He should look for a job as a position coach with the best program he can find and work his way up to DC. That is the fastest route to his dream job. 3-5 years from now the head coaching position will be open again. Either Beaty will be fired or he'll gain enough success and bolt for a better job.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

Clint says/thinks it's not about him becoming the HC. It is about the program and school. This is his destination. He's already here. He left long enough to know that he wants to be here. It is a smart career move on his part, just not the career that so many others have chosen. He's seen the promised land, and decided to stay.

Marc Frey 7 years, 10 months ago

We need front line players. We have the horses in the backfield. We need blockers and rushers.

Jay Beakum 7 years, 10 months ago

This is the worst basketball team of the Bill era.

Simply embarrassing.

Logan Johnson 7 years, 10 months ago

I think after that halftime speech and the reaction of the people in allen fieldhouse, I'd say there are plenty of us still confused about this one.

Cody Riedy 7 years, 10 months ago

"if Bill self leaves" - you strike terror in my heart!

Randy Bombardier 7 years, 10 months ago

You are dead on. I was thinking the same thing today. Also wondering if it gets ugly will Zenger undermine KU in that regard. Say Boone Pickens hires Zenger with the deal thst he brings coach Self. If it gets ugly the administration needs to act swiftly to prevent this from happening. He could of had a free pass. I don't get it.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

Delusional.

Coach Self has already turned down OSU, and even if Dr Z left for OSU or elsewhere, he doesn't have enough pull with Coach Self to get him away from here.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

It does take 2 - 3 years to recruit HS talent, especially with our state of the program. At least Coach Beaty already has developed the relationships, but now he has to completely change his sales pitch which generally won't be received overnight. We won't be getting the same recruiting classes he was bringing to A&M in the 1st or 2nd year, but generally improving results should be the expectation.

And yes, it generally does take 2 - 3 years to develop said HS recruits into starters. So no, recruiting is not a quick fix, unless of course you are advocating for the JC route.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm neutral on the hire. I was hoping for Ed Warriner. I'm glad Bowen didn't get the job; he's not HC material.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 10 months ago

He was up there for me initially for many of the same reasons I like Beaty but without as much of the personality that can be so important in leading the program. Warriner IMO is a high quality technical coach, but not quite the face of the program and a decade more tread wear.