Friday, November 8, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: For Weis, cover-up worse than punt fake

Kansas punter Trevor Pardula takes off on a fourth-down run on a fake punt against Texas Tech during the second quarter on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 at Memorial Stadium. Pardula was stopped on the play by Tech linebacker Micah Aw to give the Red Raiders the ball deep in Jayhawk territory.

Richard Nixon had Watergate. Bill Clinton had the liaison with his intern. At the urging of a “friend,” Monica Lewinsky decided not to have her blue dress laundered.

In both scandals, the cover-up was even worse than the crime. In the case of failed New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner and his sexting habit, the failure to cover up was a scandal unto itself, but that’s a conversation for another day, or maybe not.

For Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis, it’s with Fake-gate that he keeps digging himself a deeper hole. He did it again Tuesday at his always-entertaining weekly presser.

A rehash for those who repressed one of the more ridiculous plays in Kansas football history: Oct. 5 against Texas Tech, on fourth-and-13 from the KU 16, punter Trevor Pardula took off on a failed fake punt. Afterward, Weis said that if the punter saw the Red Raiders in a certain alignment he had the freedom to attempt a fake and that the “young man,” thought he saw them in the vulnerable alignment, so he took off.

On Tuesday, Weis returned to the play, shovel in hand, foot in mouth. He was talking about how in every game except Baylor, KU has found itself on the wrong end of a third-quarter play from which it couldn’t recover.

He referred to the play as, “the fake punt that I’ll take full blame and responsibility for. You know, I’ll pass it down after I leave here, but I’ll take it right here in front of you. So say that’s a dumb call, say the coach is just an idiot. But it’s still 20-10 at halftime and the first play of the third quarter is a deflected interception that gets run down to the 4-yard line.”

Translation: I’ll take the blame, then I’ll take a breath and then I’ll excuse myself from all blame.

He was laughing when he said it, but it doesn’t change the reality that he doesn’t think that he goofed in not telling the punter, All-American candidate Trevor Pardula, not to even think about faking if the field position is, oh, say, inside the 40 and the yards-to-go are more than, I don’t know, seven. The play should have had an automatic kill switch. Because of that, I don’t care whether Pardula made the wrong call or whether Tedarian Johnson and Shane Smith missed blocks. The play never should have happened because the coach should have forbidden it.

If Weis does reverse the losing ways of a football program that has lost 26 consecutive Big 12 games, he’ll be remembered for having an offense ill-suited for a college team that can’t count on having superior offensive-line play year in and year out and for a remarkably lousy passing game.

Those who realize the importance of issues beyond wins and losses will be grateful for the turn-around he has executed in the area of failed tests ranging from urine to math to English.

And everyone will remember him as the coach who tried a fake punt from the 16 with 13 yards to go for a first down in the second quarter of a tie game and just couldn’t bring himself to own it.

What a shame.

Comments

Doug Cramer 8 years, 6 months ago

Holy cow ! Tom I just texted almost this exact topic with a couple of KU buds I graduated with. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed the comments from his last presser.

When talking about 3rd quarter performance...he freaking threw his players under the freight train...when it's clearly evident that he and his coaching staff are getting embarrassed by the opposing coaching staff.

Sure he talked about deflected passes...etc...but what about the rest of the 3rd and 4th quarter? ? ? Is that all on the players as well ?

What a joke. I'm officially on the "Fire Weis Now" bandwagon.

Zenger...don't wait until the end of the season. Just do it and get it over with.

This guy is worse than Gill. Hell Gill had a top 25 win...and a conference win.

Weis SHOULD have lost to La Tech by 2 touchdowns. I can't support this guy any longer.

Doug Roberts 8 years, 6 months ago

Aaron Paisley 8 years, 6 months ago

Hypothetical here, but let's say that Weis does get fired after this year. That would mean that KU will have fired their previous 2 coaches after 2 years. What coach in their right mind would come to a historical bottom feeder program knowing he has 2 years to turn around that could very well go into next season having won 2 conference games in 5 years? KU will not get a quality coach next time around if Weis is not given a fair chance to right the ship.

W Keith Swinehart II 8 years, 6 months ago

Think, too, of the players who signed on and a year or two later a new coach, program, plays, style comes in. Now, multiply this by two, three times. What prospective HS player would ever come to such a program.

The AD hires a coach with expectations. He observes and reserves (judgment) over a period of time and decides what to do. He also is held accountable, something that casual readers don't have to worry about. Opinions are fair, but piling on is not. Support and patience is needed in the early stages of a program and process.

Let it flow and support the process and characters in the process. Make comments, opinions, observations but support the process. To do less only serves to tear down any accomplishments. Let the AD and coaches do their thing. Two years isn't time to do anything, and progress is being made. Coming back from the abyss is a tough proposition. Let it happen.

Terry N Tom Denner 8 years, 6 months ago

Lets give Charlie one more year or at least a half. But I would be the first to can the man if he showed a 2-6 record next season.

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 6 months ago

Interesting article Mr. Keegan. I like Weis as a person but like you I'm not too fond of what's going on with the football team lately. Something is missing, and regardless of how you swing it, the coaches are to blame. I don't know how to fix it, and obviously Weis doesn't either, or he wouldn't be getting pounded by every Big 12 team. As frustrated as I am though, I don't quite think I'm to the point where I want to see him fired. KU can't afford it and we honestly need stability at some point. I say we give him all of next year and require a bowl bid. If he doesn't do just that, then yea I think it's time to move on. Gill and Perkins did some damage, and to Weis's credit it wasn't expected to be an easy road. If his attitude starts going south then I feel it could start to become a bigger issue and grounds for firing will be more realistic. Here's to hoping the players find some way to figure things out. And this is just a side note, but I've been thoroughly impressed with Dave Campo's defense. Wonder how good of a head coaching candidate he'd be? He obviously is doing something right. Just a thought.

Doug Cramer 8 years, 6 months ago

John - you want to give him next season...and stipulation that he has to make a bowl bid. Realistically...what are our chances for winning 6 games next year ? Not gonna happen...not even close...especially with Duke on the schedule...@ Duke.

I say let's get it over. Our next recruiting class isn't looking that good...and it wouldn't surprise me if talented recruits aren't buying into his whole recruiting pitch...which includes:

1. "I've got ties to the NFL"
  2. "Did you see that piece of crap we put in the field"
  3. "Do you want to play right away"

Should never have fired Mangino...and should have hired Malzhan 2 years ago.

Tom Keegan 8 years, 6 months ago

Don't you think Malzhan would have left Kansas for Auburn job?

Glen Miller 8 years, 6 months ago

I did not mean to flag this for removal..... I meant to reply, my bad. It's early and I haven't had all my coffee.

I agree about Mangino. I was not happy when we let him go.

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 6 months ago

We can't afford to let Charlie go ... Our only hope is that he resigns or he does something stupid enough to get fired and void his contract. If his contract was up this year, by all means I say let him go. It's just not an option at this point.

Tom Keegan 8 years, 6 months ago

The defense has been better this year. Clint Bowen is coordinating from the linebacker spot with Buddy Wyatt coaching up front and asst. head coach Dave Campo handling the secondary. Scott Vestal is assistant secondary coach. Bowen does more of the coordinating at this point than Campo because of Bowen's familiarity with counteracting the spread offense. KU is blitzing a lot more and turning teams over a lot more than when using the read-and-react defense of a year ago. At this point in his career I'm not sure if Campo is interested in being a head coach, but I like his positive attitude and passion.

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 6 months ago

Yea that's a good point Tom. I do like the Ed Warriner idea as head coach he really had this offense cooking when he was hear. Plus he'd keep Clint Bowen and campo and I'm pretty sure he's much cheaper than Weis. At this point we don't need a "sexy" option we just need a coach that knows how to win.

Bill Kackley 8 years, 6 months ago

What Weis said is true. I thought it was not right to leave it up to a player to make that call but the game was still winable until the bad pass. I'm not as happy with Weis as I was but let's knock off the crap about firing him. It isn't going to happen and it shouldn't. The program has to get continuity again. The only time we have won in recent years was when we had the same head coac for 5 years. I do agree though that he needs to hire a offensive coordinator.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree, think we're stuck with him so we might as well get behind it. I think at this point the only choice we have is to see if some consistency can do some good over a few more years. Really, putting another guy in the job is somewhat of a crap shoot anyway.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 6 months ago

Not sure who it was on 810 last night, but they commented about how Charlie seems very concerned with his overall reputation in the game of football right now. He's a long way removed from 3 Super Bowl rings and a good season at ND. He would do himself some good to shut his mouth from time to time. My wife and I had decided early this year to go to every Hawk Talk at Salty, but we just grew too tired of hearing about Tom Brady and Gizelle and Belichek and who he knew on the sidelines at the Chiefs game the past weekend. I've said this before, but I just question his ability to stay mentally focused on improving what is happening on the field with this team. Head College FB coaches have to have a singularity of purpose and while I hear constantly about how Weis works hard, etc. I just question his ability to truly give a consistent message and drive it home. If kids don't see that singular focus and consistent rhetoric from their coach it's hard to see them playing an entire game which what seems to be missing from this group. But, again, I do see improvement and I'm looking forward to the next 4. These players seem to be willing to go out there and put it on the line so I'm behind that 100% and hope to make it up to Ames to give them all high fives coming out of the locker room.

Jeff Suther 8 years, 6 months ago

Charlie Weis has absolutely no clue what he is doing. He has already said campo has full control of the D and that is the only unit that has shown improvement the last two years. We are in an age of college football where people are moving the ball offensively more than ever especially when it comes to passing. Charlie Weis gets paid millions of dollars to sit in an office ALL YEAR and come up with a scheme to move the ball offensively and in TWO YEARS he still has absolutely nothing.

Think about that.

David Harrison 8 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't disagree more. The depths to which this program had sunk under TG and LP is incredible. Last year we saw a team that had no kicking game, an offense that was one dimensional, and a defense that was awful. Weis is addressing each piece as quickly as he can. His major accomplishment last year was addressing the academics and attitude of the team. Remember, losing was completely accepted by the team except for a few guys. Weis brought in Pardula and a handful of kickers and suddenly we have a all-american punter. Weis knows that if you don't have a defense in the BIG XII, then there is no chance of winning games, so he focused on shoring up the defense. I would put our defense in the top half of the BIG XII which is a heck of a turn around. Yes, the offense is struggling. Losing Hawkinson, Marrongelli, and Zlatnik is what is making the difference on offense. Our O-Line is struggling and its widely accepted if you don't win the line of scrimmage, or at least compete for it, then you are doomed. Our receivers, save Pierson, can't catch the ball. You can't blame Heaps! The guy has no time to throw and even when he hits his targets in the numbers they drop it. Looking at the recruits we have picked up, Bragg, Visinia, Hartzog, and Patrick, tells me Weis understands what he has and what he needs. Yeah they are two stars but so was Aquib Talib! Weis has said that we will still have to grab a few JUCOs this year and taper off in subsequent years to supplement our needs. Did we really expect to go bowling after a year and a half? I say we are on-track and we should stay the course. I think ADSZ agrees with me and realizes where Weis started. Now with all that being said, I will also say that I think Weis sometimes out-thinks himself and that hiring an Offensive Coordinator is absolutely essential. Keegan wrote a piece a month or so ago about how Mangino had a great staff and how that made all the difference. I think the OC is the missing piece. Bring in a few Big Nasty's for the OL, two receivers who can catch to compliment Harwell, and sprinkle in a few pieces on defense and I think we are in relatively good shape. Look folks, our realistic goal should be 4 wins this year and I think that 6 wins should be the expectation next year. Look at what Baylor did. Art Briles gets hired in 2008 and they 4-8, then 4-8 in 2009, then 7-6 in 2010, then 10-3 in 2011. Last year they took a step back and went 8-5. Look at what they have done this year! Its a process. You gotta give Weis some time. I want to win now too but I want to win for the next twenty years as well. Sticking with Weis, giving the team consistency, and getting a little lucky will make us a perennial winner.

Paul Rupp 8 years, 6 months ago

Very well said/written. Excellent post David.

Robert Brown 8 years, 6 months ago

Charlie Weis is not Art Briles so you should not compare KU to Baylor. Let's phrase this differently. Name a Big 12 school would trade its current head coach for Charlie Weis? I can't think of one. And I doubt there was one BCS school two years ago that would have hired him, let alone give him a guaranteed $12.5M contract.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 6 months ago

Robert, taking your question and applying it properly to Briles -- name a 2009 Big XII team that would trade its then current head coach for 2nd year Baylor HC Briles? There might have been one, but unlikely after back-to-back 4-8 records in his first two seasons. Yes, he did better in his first two years than Weis has done, but when framed properly -- just the first two years on board -- the comparison is valid (and I think KU can still win two more games this season, making it an even better comparison).

I'm NOT saying Weis is going to turn KU around like Briles did Baylor, but I AM agreeing with David -- as Briles demonstrated at Baylor, it's a process. Give it a chance to work.

W Keith Swinehart II 8 years, 6 months ago

"Hand on shovel, foot in mouth...." Keegan, I always wonder about your real agenda.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 6 months ago

Do think at the end of the season, Zenger needs to come out and just be blunt with KU fans, make it very clear that he is going to be here for the duration of his contract as long as Zenger is the AD. I think that's the best move KU could make right now.

Doug Cramer 8 years, 6 months ago

1. He's losing leverage with recruits with the lack of proof in the field

2. Lost integrity by saying things like "look at the piece of crap we put on the field"

3. Blames momentum changes on the players. Not to even mention 2nd half out coaching...but what about the timing of his QB switches...big time ebb and flow killers.

4. No obvious signs of improvement other than on defense...but even our defense is overwhelmed with the lack of talent on the line. Our defense will finish the season ranked in the hundreds.

Yeah let's give this guy 5 years...to only set the program back another 10.

This job was way out of his league...and he doesn't know how to get this program out of its rut.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 6 months ago

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in love with the idea. I thought it was a bad hire from the get go, I think the right fit for KU is a young up and comer kind of guy with a ton of energy out to prove himself to the world. Basically the exact opposite of Weis.

I'm just saying I think we're stuck. Just can't be going out paying 20 mil in coaching and AD salaries for guys who are not working on the job over the course of 5-6 years. That's just nuts. KU Hired Zenger, who I don't hear anybody wanting to get rid of, Zenger hired Weis. Unfortunately, I think we have to take our medicine. Then again Kroger stock is up like 100% in the last year so who knows what Dave Dillon might be thinking.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 6 months ago

Do also have to disagree on the signs of improvement. I think we've seen an improvement in physical play, defense as you said and overall athletic ability on the field in the last two years. Where the defense ends up ranked is as much a function of what the offense has done as anything else...you seem like you're well versed enough to know that.

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 6 months ago

That's the smartest post I've seen yet. Doesn't mean Weis is a great coach it just means we can't afford letting him go and we at some point need stability.

Titus Canby 8 years, 6 months ago

One of the attributes HCCW was supposed to bring to the team was discipline. I'm talking about the kind of discipline that Snyder brings to K-State. Executing properly - like being able to block, tackle and catch the ball. Eliminating mistakes like offsides penalties, roughing the kicker penalties and blocked kicks. I'm not seeing it. My concern isn't so much the play calling that everyone seems so concerned about. It's the lack of discipline. The same lack of discipline that we saw under Gill.

Robert Brock 8 years, 6 months ago

One look at this team and you can tell that they have a light regard for fundamentals.

Eric Bernauer 8 years, 6 months ago

I disagree with all you wanting to fire Weis. I see significant improvement in KU football over two years ago. I am disappointed that I don't see improvement over last year. If the only way you judge a team is by wins and losses, then you're right, they are no better off than under Gill. However, regardless of the losses, I see a more competitive team now even as the losses pile up. At the time of Weis's hiring, I didn't expect to beat Oklahoma and Texas and compete for the top of the Big 12 in as little as two years. After this weekend, we will be playing this years bottom of the Big 12 with WV, ISU, and KSU. I do not guarantee a victory by any means, but I won't be surprised if we end our winless streak against Big 12 competition this season.

To say the KU football team is no more disciplined than under Gill is also misguided. Though I see our players often over matched on the field, I see our players less often out of position than under the previous coaches. Our defense actually looks like a defense and not an open gate. Now if only our offense could show the same improvement we would have a team. To blow off the strides our team has made off the field in the class room and in general behavior also demonstrates a total disregard for the idea of student athlete. To continue to champion Mangino after the abuses he put our team through further demonstrates your total disregard for the young men that our university is supposed to be developing into adult men, as long as they win. That Mangino stepped over the line was confirmed not only by seldom used players, but also by team captains. But why should we care, those kids weren't our family members, and, they won. Your life must be pretty shallow if winning a football game at the expense allowing the abuse of our students is okay with youl

Olli Rama 8 years, 6 months ago

Oh, thank you LJW for getting rid of those dreaded creative souls like jaybate and oakville and nuleaf. Thanks for leaving us with all the Mangino lovers and Gill haters and the “Let’s fire Weis”ers.

If you ask me the comment section has become more negative than ever before. It’s depressing. There is no humor. No life. The board is dominated by the average to below average, and by a scamming Dorothy Rowden.

Lift the ban on anonymous posting! Bring this forum back to life!

Olli Rama 8 years, 6 months ago

My point is that banning anonymous posting did nothing to keep out the negative vibe. That IS the reason LJW claims to have taken the measure, right?

Of course everybody deserves to post anything. That too, is the point. You can post boringly, or imaginatively. It’s up to you. I just miss the many, many anonymous folks who kept this board so entertaining with their imaginativeness.

I glance through the posts now, instead of submerging myself in them. Many of the above posts are mildly informative and perfectly fine for normal team discussion which you can find almost anywhere, but it was better when this place was an exceptional and original forum. One complete with long-time KUSports personalities, not just names. You lose something when everybody is accountable for every word they type. Banning that anonymity didn’t keep out the bad seeds. It didn’t rid the forum of cowards. It rid the forum of it’s glorious identity.

Those anonymous aliases were more like characters in a book than real people. Characters in a book are so much more interesting than real life, or even characters in a movie. That’s why the book is always better! You think jaybate would be as intriguing if we knew exactly who he was? What he looked like and sounded like? Hell no! We all have our own image of him in our heads and it would be ruined if we knew any of that stuff. For me it would be ruined if we even knew his real name.

I don’t mean to insult anybody for their posts here. But I AM needy, and I’m not particularly interesting myself, as you’ve figured. I’m just calling it like I see it.

And yes, my board was filled with lollipops and rainbows before LJW erased them...

Ben Schwartz 8 years, 6 months ago

Bingo.

I posted something similar a while back, but I think you did a better job with your book/movie/real-life example... spot on.

Robert Brown 8 years, 6 months ago

We do need to see how the season plays out, but does it really matter? There is no way that Weis will be replaced this year and probably next year. I never understood why we hired Weis. No one outside of a 50 mile radius of Lawrence thought it was a good hire. There is not one thing in his background that would have give anyone confidence he would be able to turnaround KU's program.

There was no reason for the AD to pay him as much money as we did especially without a buyout. That was irresponsible. Too many people have made excuses by blaming Turner Gill. I don't buy that. Certainly the program was in bad shape, but many of the people who 'apologize' for Weis and says he needs more time, were calling for Gill's head after similar results on the field.

The bottom line is that you DO need to give a coach at least 3-4 years to put his stamp on a program which means we are stuck with each other.

Chandler Accipiter 8 years, 6 months ago

Funny, this is about the same time in Gill's tenure that both Keegs and Tait started to get vocal about thier concern for the KU football program, which is understandable.

And the buyout isn't the issue, nor is paying a new coach. TV contracts in BCS conferences make the firing and hiring of coaches relatively easy without putting any strain on the program financially. It is the ancillary issues noted in some of the comments above like reputation and turnover that are the real concerns involving a coaching change at this point.

Chad Morris, Clemson's OC, has to be one of the top candidates out there for any head coach opening. I agree with Ed Warriner as well, but he was passed over twice before and probably is done with KU. Morris should be looking to cash in on Clemson's high powered offense especially considering they will lose both Taj Boyd and Sammy Watkins after this season. Furthermore, he was a legendary high school coach in Texas (he was Reesing's coach at Lake Travis) with ties to some very fertile recruiting ground. The Texas high school coach route worked out pretty okay for Baylor. Maybe KU should follow their lead in something other than the most consecutive conference losses.

Chandler Accipiter 8 years, 6 months ago

Just a couple more points: during Mangino's last couple of seasons and both of Gill's about half the Big 12 had offenses that looked as scary as Baylor's this season. This is definitely a down year and the offenses are not as potent, so naturally the defensive numbers should be improved from previous seasons.

Iowa State is really bad this year. Two seasons ago they were a lot better and KU lost at Ames 13-10 with a team that is not as talented as this year's. Anything less than a win there is a major step backwards. And I know there are other measuring sticks besides wins and losses, but in this case (KU at ISU), I believe it is justified.

Oh, did I mention Chad Morris?

John Thomas 8 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree...we keep talking about the defense is improving but we are not commenting on how terrible the Big 12 is this year. Outside of Baylor, there are no stand-out QBs in this league...which means there are not any great offenses...besides Kansas, 4 other teams in the League have offenses ranked 90th or below in the country. For our offense to be 116th out of 118 teams in the FBS is ridiculous. I don't see how anyone can make excuses (getting better, young team, new system, etc) for that.

John Thomas 8 years, 6 months ago

Just FYI, our defense is 97th in the country in scoring.

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 6 months ago

You bring up a good point ... Weis has had two years to put us at 116th on offense out of 118 teams. Impressively horrible. The funny thing is Dayne Crist actually got signed on to an NFL team and we thought he sucked. The scouts saw something we or Weis didn't, that or he wasn't coached properly. Coaching is our main issue here and Weis knows that more than anyone. He either fixes it or his reputation is completely ruined.

Terry N Tom Denner 8 years, 6 months ago

Charlie Charlie Charlie, the next time u want to fake a punt at least let one of the three that suppose to be protecting the kicker run the ball. The kicker Pardula just does not have the legs to even out run himself little lone a linebacker !! Here's your sign Charlie !!!

Bill Kackley 8 years, 6 months ago

Hire Morris as OC with a guarantee to become HC when Weis's contract runs out.

Robert Brown 8 years, 6 months ago

I think this article from KUSports foreshadowed what was to become the Charlie Weis era. Charlie Weis is a great salesman and he can command an audience, but his past history would not indicate he would be successful at KU.

It is almost as if Zenger was transfixed by Weis and altered his process to find a football coach. The contract we gave him was outrageous.

Erich Hartmann 8 years, 6 months ago

Not sure about the purpose or timing of this article, or many of the comments. Considering the issues the football team is having offensively, maybe the MOST constructive focus would be to fix the issue at hand: inability to sustain drives due to O-line issues in both run- and pass-blocking. If anybody watched the TV broadcast, we saw former KC ProBowler Rich Baldinger (O-line) making enough observations and comments to give a clue to the rest of us that the O-line is not communicating with the guy to their left or right, and we are thus losing the battle in the trenches...

I wish Rich Baldinger would call up Grunhard and Weis and give his take...although I am sure the KU coaches are working on it already, as the issues are pretty evident on game film. O-line just isnt on the same page (when they are, we actually look good for a positive play or two, right?) Sustain some drives and score more, which means the opposition scores less, and we win more games.

There's also a lot of talent that was redshirted or was declared ineligible (Short, Harwell)...so help is coming. Next year needs to show 6 wins, though...that is not an unreasonable expectation.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 6 months ago

I used to get tired if hearing every week from MM about sawing wood, but at least he was talking sense. I am not for firing Weis, at least not yet. He will probably get two more seasons and he should. My advice to him would be to stop with the quick fixes, hire an OC, someone from a different style of play and then to commit to recruiting five-year linemen on. both sides if the ball. Redshirt each one of them in year one. If no one is getting injured in practice maybe, just maybe they are not strenuous enough. Make practice hell. Simplify the offense. Work on perfecting execution in technique. WRs should know how to run routes before the season starts not halfway through (reference to recent article), and lastly own up to your mistakes and stop with the name-dropping. ..we are not impressed.