Friday, May 31, 2013

KU football target Peyton Newell to reveal finalists Saturday night

It’s already been a good month for Kansas University on the recruiting front. In addition to the men’s basketball team landing top prospect Andrew Wiggins, the football program has added a couple of key pieces in the Class of 2014, a couple of late additions to the Class of 2013 and is pounding the pavement in an attempt to add more.

One of KU coach Charlie Weis’ top targets in the 2014 class is Hiawatha High defensive tackle Peyton Newell and, at 6 p.m. Saturday on Twitter, Weis and company will find out if their early efforts proved fruitful when Newell releases his six finalists from a list of 34 suitors.

A couple of weeks back, Newell, 6-foot-3, 280 pounds, announced on Twitter that he would reveal his Top 5 on June 1. However, in the days since then, Newell had trouble narrowing it down and now plans to keep six teams in the running for his services. He plans to commit on Aug. 30.

“The process has been going on for about four years now,” Newell told the Journal-World earlier this week. “And I’m ready to get it done. The whole thing is a lot harder than people realize.”

Ranked by Rivals.com as the fourth best prospect in Kansas, Newell is considered by many to be a player capable of making an immediate impact wherever he goes. That’s his goal, and his blend of raw size and athleticism is the reason he has more than 30 offers from BCS programs, including nearly all of the programs in the Big 12 and Big Ten.

“It’s definitely been overwhelming,” Newell said. “If you look at my list, there’s USC, UCLA, Cal all the way to South Carolina and Clemson. I can’t even name all of them. I hate to say that but I’ve got a lot of schools after me and I’m ready to get it done.”

Although Newell has yet to reveal his list of finalists, there appears to be legitimate reason for Jayhawk fans to hope their school is on it. Nearly all of Newell’s family members either went to KU or are currently attending, including his mom and dad, his grandparents and several aunts and uncles. Thanks to the efforts put forth by the current KU coaching staff, Newell’s KU family appears to extend beyond bloodlines.

“I’ve built great relationships with coach (Buddy) Wyatt and coach (Clint) Bowen and coach Weis,” the Hiawatha standout said. “Coach (Dave) Campo’s actually been out to my school three or four times, so I know they care for me a lot and they want me to be a Jayhawk.”

Saturday night, the football staff at Kansas will have a better understanding whether the feeling’s mutual.

Comments

LAJayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Actually my first thought when I saw the headline.

Bobby Burch 9 years, 6 months ago

Stay close to family and friends Peyton! Lawrence is a grrrreat place to be!

okiedave 9 years, 6 months ago

Came back to Lawerence for the weekend. It simply is the best university town in the nation. Great place to live and go to school. Miss it.

canuckhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

There seems to be a mostly-unacknowledged practice among blue chip recruits to keep their preferred in-state schools on their short list, even if they don't think they will end up at that school. Even if we end up on the short list, it will be hard to gauge where we actually stand, but it will keep the door open to Campo and Weis, and reflects well on the program, even if he goes elsewhere.

vd 9 years, 6 months ago

Why not coach (Charlie) Weis?

Matt Tait 9 years, 6 months ago

Already had a first reference with Coach Weis' full name so no need to clarify the second time.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Wow, seriously? That's what you want to comment on? The (not) incorrect journalistic parenthetical usage of a coach's first name?

Matt, do you ever get the urge to just punch your computer screen? Kick the interwebz square in the sack? It'd probably make you feel better.....

Stan Unruh 9 years, 6 months ago

Totally agree. This is a FREE site and there is so much criticism of the writers???? It's sad and hilarious. Thanks for all you do Matt. Great work and no criticism here.

actorman 9 years, 6 months ago

"KU football target Peyton Newell to reveal finalists SATURDAY night"

"... at 6 TONIGHT on Twitter, Weis and company will find out if their early efforts proved fruitful when Newell releases his six finalists from a list of 34 suitors."

"SATURDAY night, the football staff at Kansas will have a better understanding whether the feeling’s mutual."

So when will he actually select his top 6, tonight (aka Friday) or tomorrow (aka Saturday)???

dgless21 9 years, 6 months ago

Chances are the LJW didn't mean to post this til midnight (12 a.m. Saturday)...so tonight would be Saturday at 6 p.m.

Kman_blue 9 years, 6 months ago

Seeing as it's past 6pm tonight(Friday) now, I'm guessing Saturday night at 6pm. LOL

Matt Tait 9 years, 6 months ago

You are correct. My bad folks. Still getting used to one version for the web & another for the paper. It's 6 pm Saturday night. Sorry. I'll have a recap after he announces -- one way or the other.

Jack Jones 9 years, 6 months ago

No apologies needed, Matt ~ we all (save one) understood your article.

LeadFarmer 9 years, 6 months ago

actorman - you can't quote someone with quotations then capitalize words that weren't already capitalized. You have just committed plagiarism. Your transgression has most likely forced the NCAA to investigate the quality of KU academia. In other words, you make the rest of us look dumb. And you didn't include a works cited page, rookie.

texashawk10 9 years, 6 months ago

Get over yourself, this is a sports message board, not an English or Journalism class. If my punctuation or capitalization or spelling is wrong, I don't care.

patkindle 9 years, 6 months ago

Peyton Newell is a little young to become a drama queen

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

Isn't narrowing the offers common amongst almost all recruits.

{Can we give a thumbs down?}

John Myers 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree to a point.

He's "ready to get it done" and in four years, he's only been able to get the list down from 34 to 6?

Granted, I have absolutely NO frame of reference for what it's like to make a decision like this, but it does seem a little silly to have an official time set for releasing the first cut..

Joe Ross 9 years, 6 months ago

I used to date Peyton Newell's aunt. Just a year ago now. (When I taught in Hiawatha, she was a para in my classroom. I had many of his cousins in class, but never him. He was too young then.) At that time--a year ago--she told me that his interest in Kansas was not very high, but that he would consider Kansas because all of the family were rabid KU fans. Just a little insider information.

Peyton's mother died when he was very young from breast cancer. Her name was Missy. http://www.missynewellmemorial.com/ Every year there is a 5K run in her honor. Great family. Great athleticism. Kansas would be lucky to get him.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 6 months ago

I was a bit discouraged when reading what he said about the schools that are pursuing him. He listed a bunch, but no mention of a single Big12 school.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

He mentioned east coast to west coast, kind of like from A to Z. I wouldn't read anything into it.

We're actually better off if KU is the only Big 12 school on the list - as opposed to having to face all the KS players at OU & OSU in particular.

kay_you 9 years, 6 months ago

Wiggins had Florida State on his short list, probably because of his parents. If I'm his father I would love for him to come to KU but I would also want what is in his best interest. Were it not for the family connection KU would probably not be on his list at all. I'm not that optimistic.

kay_you 9 years, 6 months ago

Okay, now I'm a bit more optimistic.

kellerman411 9 years, 6 months ago

Kansas is in!!!!!!!!!!! We're a finalist.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

Thanks

Skimmed through the posts. Seems like a really great kid. Would be a wonderful addition on and off the field. There'll be lots of room on the DL in a year and more.

kellerman411 9 years, 6 months ago

Peyton Newell ‏@p_newell 7m

My Top 6 schools are:

South Carolina

Georgia

Kansas

Nebraska

Kansas State

Southern California

kellerman411 9 years, 6 months ago

To all of you that think Charlie Weis isn't what we need, grab a plate, we're serving crow tonight. We've never been able to compete for high school defensive lineman like this before. I don't care if he is from Kansas or not, this is a very impressive list to be a part of. Let's bring him home, boys.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

Still lots of prep work before anything is served, tho I am in the Kool-Aid kamp.

kellerman411 9 years, 6 months ago

KU has gotta have a good season. We need to beat K-State.

Ethan Berger 9 years, 6 months ago

Gotta win the big games first. But hey, La Salle is real tough.

Ethan Berger 9 years, 6 months ago

Gotta win the big games first. But hey, La Salle is real tough.

hotrodm 9 years, 6 months ago

The Big 12, should have grabbed Louisville when they could have. What a bone headed move in not taking them in. What schools do you expand the leauge to now? ACC is locked up, BIG is locked up, SEC locked up, Pac 12 locked up. Who is left now worth having? If any school leaves now the BIG 12 is done.

Miles Nease 9 years, 6 months ago

Who cares? We are going to be one of the schools that leaves.

bad_dog 9 years, 6 months ago

Neverthess, it appears the B1G was & may still be interested...

Stay tuned.