Tuesday, June 11, 2013

KU officials eye Twitter account

Kansas University associate athletic director Jim Marchiony responded to a Twitter posting by the “KU Boobs” account on Monday, indicating the KU athletic department is not trying to shut down the KU Boobs Twitter account.

KU Boobs’ initial post read: “KU Boobs has been ordered to cease and desist by the University of Kansas by June 12, 2013.”

Marchiony said the athletic department has ordered KU Boobs to not sell merchandise by that date.

“We are not trying to shut down the KU Boobs Twitter account. It’s one thing to have a Twitter account. It’s another to sell merchandise with KU on it. That’s what they are doing. That’s what we have asked them to stop doing. KU is a university-owned federal trademark, and we have to protect it,” Marchiony said.

KU Boobs had just under 50,000 followers on Twitter as of 10:30 p.m. Monday.

Comments

Kent Wells 9 years, 7 months ago

Top 10 list of things I thought when I saw this headline/read this story:

*10. Oh no, what has Tyshawn done now?

*9. I would much rather see KU Boobs than read about KU Boobs.

*8. I like boobs.

*7. What happened?

*6. KU Boobs must be perkier than MU Boobs

*5. KU Boobs must be lots better than KSU Boobs

*4. How many times did "Staff Reports" giggle as they typed out this article?

*3. Is "Staff Reports" now going to have to take down it's own article because it violates it's own policy?

*2. I wonder if it got started off as KU Bob and then after a few too many, boom, new website?

and the number one thing I though when I saw this headline/read this story:

*1. Thank goodness this site wasn't started by KU fan that likes roosters...

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

Nice list, kuwells. If I may be so bold, there is one tiny correction that needs to be made though.

Item #5 should actually be " KSU Teats".

Kent Wells 9 years, 7 months ago

Now I like that revision! Curious what you think MU should be renamed? Try not to get censured in your reply...

Phoghorn 9 years, 7 months ago

MU Athletics could form a corporate partnership with Tiger's Milk...

Thomas Matlock 9 years, 7 months ago

I guess we need to milk it as much as we can...

actorman 9 years, 7 months ago

Jayhawkerjoel, stop that, you could get me fired for bursting out laughing at work!

actorman 9 years, 7 months ago

Good list, kuwells, but you should have included the Al Bundy Family Motto:

"Hooters, hooters, yum, yum, yum. Hooters, hooters, on a girl that's dumb."

Nick Brungardt 9 years, 7 months ago

You can tell its summer by reading this story....

Joe Ross 9 years, 7 months ago

Since "Kansas" is often used to make reference to the University, but could also be construed to refer to the State, the account holders could side-step the problem by renaming themselves "Kansas Boobs", and then have all of their models display the same Jayhawks attire. Just sayin'. It ain't difficult.

Irony is that Marchiony will have done them a favor by increasing publicity.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 7 months ago

I thought this account was about Turner Gill, the ticket scandle crew, and the guy that got stuck in the Taco Bell drive through window. Boy...was I wrong!

Vernon Riggs 9 years, 7 months ago

I am going on record to say I LOVE KU BOOBS! Make them stop selling tee-shirts or whatever but don't shut down KUBOOBS!

Phoghorn 9 years, 7 months ago

It seems like we are making mountains out of molehills here.

JayHawkFanToo 9 years, 7 months ago

...while KU is trying to make molehills out of mountains.

Kent Wells 9 years, 7 months ago

Suggested headline:

KU officials eye KU Boobs

The risk is that we would think the article was about Samantha Ryan.

Phoghorn 9 years, 7 months ago

Shucks, you beat me too it. I guess you got to second base first.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 7 months ago

If it was about Samantha Ryan, we might have to call it " Home Run Derby ".

Brak 9 years, 7 months ago

I think that's the title to her new movie

Phoghorn 9 years, 7 months ago

Hey site staff - you will generate a LOT more clicks if you put the word "boobs" in the headline.

carolinajay 9 years, 7 months ago

KU wants a double mastectomy. Jross's suggestion of Kansas Boobs would be confused with the politicians in Topeka.

kssmiles 9 years, 7 months ago

Hate to do your job, but in the letter they do say using KU in the URL name is a trademark infringement and ask to immediately discontinue use of their trademark and URL name. So they are asking more than not selling merchandise.

HawkTronic 9 years, 7 months ago

Does this mean that everyone must remove "Jayhawk" or "KU" from their twitter, email or KUSports.com handle?