Saturday, July 14, 2012

Show of support: Assistant Kurtis Townsend attends Classic

Former KU basketball player Mario Chalmers, now a member of the Miami Heat, second from right, and family members get wet during a rainfall before the start of the Mario Chalmers Foundation National Championship Classis golf tournament Friday, July 13, 2012, at Alvamar. Family members from left, all of Miami, are Almaire Chalmers, Mario's mother, his sister Roneka, Mario and his father Ronnie.

Kansas University basketball assistant coach Kurtis Townsend was happy to support a former Jayhawk on Friday, attending Mario Chalmers’ National Championship Classic golf tournament at Alvamar with new KU director of basketball operations Doc Sadler.

“It’s huge, not only because (Mario) comes back and it’s a great organization and a great cause, but the fact that these people here just love him,” Townsend said. “To come back and make this like his second or third home now … it means a lot to the program and to our guys.”

Chalmers’ tournament benefits cancer research and community-based youth programs.

Former KU basketball players Brady Morningstar and Jeff Hawkins also joined Chalmers at the event.

“Everyone around here looks up to him,” Townsend said of Chalmers. “It’s just great to have him back. I would support anything he ever did here. I haven’t been able to make it because of recruiting, but I just happened to have today off, so it worked out well.”

Speaking of recruiting ... Townsend played a big part in the Jayhawks’ landing 6-foot-3 guard Rio Adams from Rainier Beach High School in Seattle, serving as his lead recruiter.

Adams reported to KU’s campus last week.

“It’s great to have him here. He had a long journey,” Townsend said. “I think he’s still not out of the woods yet academically and stuff, but it’s great that he’s here, and he’s happy to be here. I think he’s going to do a good job for us.”

One of Townsend’s most vivid memories of Adams came while watching him at a tournament in Las Vegas.

“I think he had about 38 (points). He couldn’t miss, and he had already committed here,” Townsend said. “He just kept looking at me after every shot. What I did realize is that he was one of those guys that wasn’t afraid to take a big shot.

“He was like a cornerback in football — didn’t remember the play before. He could just flick water off his back, and he could just go. But (he was) a clutch player, and more than that, a great kid.”

Townsend said Adams had another memorable performance during his senior season.

“He had an unbelievable game, because I was kind of always putting in his head, ‘Hey, we may want to play you at the point,’” Townsend said. “He made some unbelievable no-look passes and made sure that I saw him to let me know that, ‘Hey, I’ll play wherever you need me to play.’”

Townsend, who will begin his ninth year on KU’s bench in the fall, believes Adams will provide the Jayhawks with depth.

“He gives us a guy that can play both (guard) positions. He’s a scorer,” Townsend said. “He’s athletic, but he can also play the backup point. If, God forbid, something happened to Elijah (Johnson) or Naadir (Tharpe), he can play both spots.

“He just gives you another athletic, tough, strong, good kid.”

Comments

madamhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Stayed up to watch the Royals lose in the 14th. Will the pain and suffering ever end?

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

It will end when you quit watching.

Like I did !

REHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Here we go again. Like the doc says, "Just don't do it!"

Alohahawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Excellent article/interview with 2013 recruit, PG A. Barber, on Zagsblog.com. He obviously likes KU, but is best friends with Troy Williams, whom he could decide to double up with and attend Louisville or Alabama. Loves the relationship he's developed with KU's coaches. Wants to make a decision before next season begins.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the link. His friend Troy Williams sounds like a young man who would be a good player; listed as Rivals #41. Any reason we're not recruiting him also?

Robert Brock 9 years, 10 months ago

It looked like TW was going to make his decision between UK and UNC several weeks ago. KU just didn't have any traction in his recruitment.

lothario64118 9 years, 10 months ago

So, what is the reason why Self doesn't seem to recruit top PG's? He goes for a lot of combos but doesn't seem to want or get pure PG's.

Any insight y'all?

RJ King 9 years, 10 months ago

ralster - what part of lothario's question seemed like bitching to you? It was an innocent question by an information seeker.

You are very knowledgeable, but you can be attacking, angry, and condescending for no apparent reason. Kindly use your wisdom to share insight with fellow Jayhawks, rather than call them out with a bunch of "jeez," all caps, and multiple question marks.

Picture the poster as someone's grandfather, or mother, or just a rabid, knowledgeable sports fan who perhaps has a life that doesn't allow him or her to collect and spit out data at will.

Chill. We're all on the same side here.

kellerman411 9 years, 10 months ago

Just the other day I was thinking about our roster and who would be backing up our guards and I was really excited about both Anrio and that Milton guy but I completely forgot about Tharpe. If I remember right he was like in the 40s coming out of high school. When you have a sophomore who came out that high and is still fighting for every minute he gets, you know you got some guys on your team.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Whoa - I thought Mario's dad was Aaron Neville for a second.

jhox 9 years, 10 months ago

I never noticed the resemblance before, but you're right.

JayDocMD 9 years, 10 months ago

I don't know much ... But I know Ronnie Chalmers is Aaron Neville's mole-less twin.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Lol - I agree with memhawk - that was funny !! Good one JayDocMD

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

JayDoc -

and that may be all you need to know.....

flyingfinn 9 years, 10 months ago

I too don't like to hear not out of the woods academically......so I would not count on this young man playing this year

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 10 months ago

Did they actually play golf at the MCFNCC? Did Brady caddy for Mario?

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

A poem...

"The Silence of the Leaders"

The silence of the leaders Is never reassuring. Leaders are so audible When things are going super.

The silence of the leaders Often masks the sound of Confidential meetings with in-house counsel.

I like a leader telling stories Laughing loudly About how things have Never been better.

I like a leader smiling brightly Saying, "We're okay this time," or "This is one horror show We don't have to manage."

I worry about a leader Who doesn't return calls And then says no comment When he finally does.