Originally published January 23, 2012 at 10:50a.m., updated January 24, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

KU football lands three more commitments

With recruiting for the Class of 2012 heading into its final full week, Kansas University’s football program made another splash Monday, landing three more commitments.

High school seniors Sean Connolly (offensive lineman) and Greg Allen (cornerback) joined Butler County Community College defensive lineman Chaquil Reed in orally committing to the Jayhawks to get this all-important recruiting week off to a fast start.

By landing Reed, it’s clear that the KU coaches continue to emphasize improvement on the defensive line.

Reed, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound defensive tackle, also had offers from Northern Illinois, Toledo and Troy.

Shortly after his in-home visit with new KU coach Charlie Weis earlier this month, Reed talked with JayhawkSlant.com about why he liked KU.

“They told me they are looking for players that can help right away,” Reed told Jon Kirby. “I feel like their program will get better, and the best is yet to come under Charlie Weis.”

Reed, a two-star prospect, became the sixth junior-college player and fourth defensive lineman in KU’s Class of 2012.

Connolly, a 6-foot-7, 290 pound offensive tackle from St. Edward High in Lakewood, Ohio, backed out of his commitment to Marshall to join the Jayhawks.

A two-star lineman according to Rivals.com, Connolly is regarded as a late bloomer, and he spent the 2011 season playing left tackle.

Like Connolly, Allen, a 5-11, 190-pound cornerback from Alief Taylor High in Houston, also changed his mind. Allen, a three-star prospect, had been committed to Utah, but told JayhawkSlant.com that his commitment to KU is solid.

“I’m done with recruiting and I told them that,” Allen told Kirby. “My mind is made up. It feels good, and I think I made a great decision. I’m ready to get to Kansas in June and get going.”

Kansas has 15 commitments in the Class of 2012, counting Dayne Crist, Jake Heaps and Justin McCay, who already are on campus.

Comments

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

I guess this means we don't really know who were getting. I think I'll wait until they actually sign before I count my chickens.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Signing an LOI means nothing either, players won't officially be members of the KU football team until they are enrolled in classes either during the summer or in August for the the fall semester.

Jory Collins 10 years, 6 months ago

It means they can't go to another school. LOI's are binding.

JJHawq 10 years, 6 months ago

they can still not qualify and/or go juco

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone think that Keaston Terry (and others) not being released from KU to play else where might affect recruiting of younger players?

Just wondering.

Jeff Seymour 10 years, 6 months ago

Who said Keaston Terry wasn't being released? Only one I've heard about is BB and KU AD was just on the radio and said this will be a learning moment for him and there is a certain way to go about asking for a release.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

I had heard late last week that Terry hadn't been released yet, think it was a KC radio station, but I was driving and was on the edge of reception. I hope KU grants al their releases as they are rebuilding with players that were all released, can't have it one way and then try to act the other.

Micky Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

No. In fact, I think that if Brock Berglund is enrolled at Kansas right now, it wouldn't have been a problem for him to go to a mandatory team meeting on the weekend. KU has paid for a full year of school for Brock Berglund. Wanna bet he would have been released had he shown up to the meeting? But, now Brock has to spend money on a lawyer. I'm not feeing sorry for him any more.

Although, if someone was bullying his girl friend, charges should have never been filed. Apparently is family had money, and that is where gold diggers find an opportunity to make some money they didn't earn.

Cmill1221 10 years, 6 months ago

I have been looking at this site every hour the last two days waiting to see commitments it hurts a little to see we lost one but I won't lose sleep over it. I'll take a CW recruit over a TG recruit any day. It would have been nice to keep that kid but when a high school QB sees he won't see the field for 3 years may be a bit of a turn off. CW will find the guys that fit, and we will be in good shape.

ohjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

The other thing to keep in mind is that Russell is designated as a "dual threat" QB, not a pro style QB. That may have something else to do with it. He may be concerned as to how he might fit in to HCCW's offense.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

It's looking like HCCW is trying to recruit more upper Midwest/East Coast than Texas. Apparently he knows what must of us have been saying for a while. Texas kids are somewhat overrated just because they live in Texas. Take this kid, 6'7 290, his size alone would make him 4 stars if he played in some dusty podunk town in Texas.

april28 10 years, 6 months ago

Interesting point on Texas kids. Glen Mason did reasonably well at KU by pulling kids from the same geographical footprint you mention....Stubblefield, Brown, Hilleary, Jones, etc.

I wonder if CW's experience in recruiting "nationally" at ND might influence his approach at KU.

In regards to Russell, wasn't this expected after the Crist/Heaps announcements? Crawley went with his buddies. It's tough to lose a 4-star to the doormat of the Pac 2000 but then again.......

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 6 months ago

He's throwing all the darts at the board rit now. Whatever sticks to the board is what he is going with for next season. Plus, he should have a more national footprint than his predecessor just due to his name...his name alone will win some recruiting battles for us. KU football Can easily be argued is the lesser school to Marshall...again in football terms...based on recent history...but Charlie makes a big difference in close call recruiting battles.

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you on the Texas comment. But, at the same time I like the fact that Weis is getting Kansas out there around the whole country and not just staying in the midwest/Big 12 area. It's good to bring in the local kids and Texas kids, etc., but it's also good to bring in the upper midwest and coastal kids too, and here's why: If Weis has success at KU and recruits nationally, it could be a big boon to the school if/when Conference realignment comes calling again.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

Has anybody figured out a way to blame Scott Drew for the Russell flip/flop yet?

Displayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

So the kid stayed committed to KU while Baylor tried to land their first and probably second QB choices, and then after they failed to do that, he bails on KU and commits to them. I personally think that a QB prospect would learn more, and have a better chance of making it to the pros learning from guys like Coaches Weis and Paulus, than from the Baylor coaches. RGIII was an anomaly this year, but you know the Baylor boys are playing up the Heisman angle!

rob4lb 10 years, 6 months ago

There were a couple of times this year when RG3 was sidelined and Baylor did not miss a beat.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

You are aware that Art Briles is not responsible for RG3, but he is the coach that signed Case Keenum as well and was his coach early on at Houston. Art Briles knows how to develop QB's and Tyler Florence is a good enough QB to keep Baylor from returning to the cellar of the Big 12.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

That should say not only responsible for RG3.

Vernon Riggs 10 years, 6 months ago

The fact that he would be playing behind Crist next year and Heaps the next 2 years probably played the biggest factor in him bailing on KU. We will be 'okay' at QB for the next few years.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

Baylor had no QBs in the class....so a natural switch. the problem with these stories is, you don't know if we pulled the schollie or not. maybe, just maybe, after CW visited with the kid, we pulled the offer. or if he said he's going to visit Baylor, and HCCW said, "if you do, then we're done recruiting you."

The thing is we do have the blue chippers already in the fold...they're already here. so any QB's climb the next couple of years would have been very difficult. I would think next year, a good HS QB will commit....then he can redshirt in 2013 and be ready as a RS soph. by 2015.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

Russell probably saw he didn't fit in the new system and moved on elsewhere. Baylor will be a better fit for him so the best of luck. I am bummed about Crawley since CU stinks right now, but getting a big Olineman is still nice. As long as he has the work ethic he sounds like he will be a major factor down the road. We will see I suppose.

Thomas Young 10 years, 6 months ago

I followed Crawley on Twitter, hoping to be a part of some Kansas attention that might bring hem to KU. But honestly, the kid seems like a class-A douchebag. He might be good, but I'm not all that upset he moved on.

Where did he decide to go? Where he can go party with his friends. He seems like a kid that was going to need a lot of babysitting.

Brennan Keller 10 years, 6 months ago

I am not to worried about Weis finding another qb to play under Crist and Heaps. I am thrilled with the addition of Josh Helmholdt to the offensive line! We are at the point in time where it does not matter whether they are a 2, 3, or 4 star recruit. Bottomline, we just need some athletes on this team! I believe Weis is doing the best he can in recruiting with the late start. I am still concerned about our defense for next season. Looking forward to the KU game tonight! Rock Chalk!

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

We have Cummings and Jablonski that can back up Christ this year in addition to Pick that can come in if needed. I think we will be fine with our depth. Let's hit all the positions that we can and if we cannot get a QB this year it is not the end of the world.

Robert Murphy 10 years, 6 months ago

I must ask: what is offense about this lineman?

kudzutexas 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm actually relieved that Russell dropped. I was following his game stats this past fall and they were less than impressive. Although the rating services said he had a "strong arm", his stats were terrible and he was more effective as a running quarterback. The football camp he attended this past summer for quarterbacks had him in the bottom 15% for accuracy.

Jayhawk2016 10 years, 6 months ago

Honestly not a surprise Russell switched. Different coaching staff and Crist and Heaps were brought in. Also saw Derek Keaton and H.B Rosser decommitted which should also come as no surprise.

Bville Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Re: KSU and Juco football recruits.

There was a Colorado coach years ago (Bill McCartney I think) that was griping about KSU and was quoted in the paper (KC Star?) that KSU had an unfair advantage recruiting Juco's because they had lower admission requirements than CU at least (and maybe everyone else in the conference).

Does anyone know if this situation still exists?

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

I had an email conversation with Gary Woodling a while back (maybe 5 years) and he said the same thing. I'd be shocked if it wasn't still the case. Gary said many of their JC guys couldn't even be recruited by KU.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

That's surprising since my KU had about a 90% admission rate. I don't know if it's still that high, but KU has never been the most difficult school to get into, it just has a pretty high dropout rate because of the weeding out process for new students.

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

If you can drive a John Deere your a lock.

John Randall 10 years, 6 months ago

Sure it does – marginal students can get into a JuCo, then show whether they can buckle down to earn their AA degree. It takes some of the risk out of recruiting – sort of like the NBA GMs implementing the one-year rule to cut down on the number of mistakes they were making on high school kids.

cool_beans 10 years, 6 months ago

ku just picked up Chaquil Reed. big d-lineman

Scott Wooten 10 years, 6 months ago

Greg Allen has gone from committed to a Pac 12 school to the Big 12! RCJH!!!! keep em coming baby!!!! ROCK CHALK!!!!

JJHawq 10 years, 6 months ago

The Texas kids have watched us get throttled for the last few years - the "brand" might be in better shape outside big 12 country...

jayhawkfanatic11 10 years, 6 months ago

Reed is actually a 3 star player. The article says a 2 star player. Welcome Reed, Allen, and Connolly to Jayhawk Nation.

John Randall 10 years, 6 months ago

✫ ★ ✬ ✩ ✪ ✰

Gee, look at that, and never did any of those ☆s catch a pass or make a tackle. If you let the rating services determine who you recruit, Vegas will give you a hotel room just to get you in the house.

april28 10 years, 6 months ago

The kid is frustrated, I get it. Though he makes interesting points, the press conference was primarily a status update - which means that introducing three 5-star transfers makes a lot of sense.

After LOI day and spring ball, I'm guessing that Toeben and others will get their opportunities to shine.

Kevin Long 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm glad to see all the D line help! They were terrible last year! Just awful! Getting better up front is the best thing Weis could have done. I bet KU will be WAY better on D next year.

Ron Prichard 10 years, 6 months ago

I am blown away by some of the things I read on these threads. When a player commits, we love him, but when a player decides to go elsewhere, people call them lazy, douchebags, no good, etc., and say, "well, KU must have pulled their offer." Maxhawk, you want me to believe KU pulled an offer from a 4 star safety? On what planet does that make sense?

These are kids!! Their decisions aren't always going to make sense to you or me, but that doesn't mean they are terrible, overrated, stupid douchebags. A lot of these decisions are family decisions. Maybe another school offers something that we don't in their eyes. Kids will make stupid comments, but that doesn't give us the right to trash them online or on twitter. I was appalled at the comments that Gehrig Deiter made on twitter about KU people trashing him after he picked SMU. The comments on this site weren't much better. Now Crawley picks CU. I followed him on twitter hoping he would pick KU. He didn't. We need to get over it.

There will be many, many more kids that leave KU or pick another school over KU. That doesn't make them bad kids. It just makes them irrelevant to KU football (or basketball) going forward. Wish them well, stop following them on twitter, and move on.

My favorite sports sign ever is "We Are Kansas!" It says it all. Let's represent our alma mater, or simply our favorite school, with the class and dignity it deserves.

april28 10 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely HATE the "We Are......" Whoever. Cliche and repetitive. We have our own saying: Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

These "kids" get twitter accounts, talk to recruiting websites, talk to real news media, hold press conferences, etc. Some get it, some don't. Don't act like they don't want the attention. Dieter himself kept trying to specifically drive up his followers to 1,500. His own stated goal. He reaped what he sowed.

I agree that just because a kid picks another school doesn't make him worthless and I actually think most of the comments on this board are pretty balanced - I can't speak for those recruiting site boards.

I'm reminded of the Chris Fowler comment stating that he "hopes cooler heads prevail and that the KU vs. Tigger series continues". Of course, he said this sitting in front of a crowd of people with body paint, mascot heads and smiling cheerleaders. Sports are emotional. You can't have it both ways. This doesn't justify cruelty or stupidity but it's a rough and tumble game. If you don't want in, don't start releasing a list of schools that you are considering on Twitter.

Ron Prichard 10 years, 6 months ago

I actually agree with you on Keeston and don't think you were too hard on him. I just remember when Deiter picked a different school people sent him all sorts of negative tweets, etc. Now, with some of these other players picking other schools I am seeing it again. It just makes us look bad. These kids do think about that. I'm as disappointed as everyone else that we are losing Terry and Miller and that Crawley picked CU, etc. Fact is, not everyone is as loyal to KU as we are. I just want people not to trash these kids for picking where THEY (capitalized) want to go to school, and not where WE want them to go.

John Randall 10 years, 6 months ago

I just wonder how many of the trash posts emanate from JO county, where far too many students have very little chance to learn their tantrums won't earn them what their sweat might.

John Randall 10 years, 6 months ago

Being deprived isn't always determined by having less – just as often it is caused by needing more.

JJHawq 10 years, 6 months ago

The "JO County" posts crack me up. People act like its frigging Beverly Hills or something. If you think that JO County is what the "High Class of Society" looks like - you need to get out of Kansas a little more often.

JJHawq 10 years, 6 months ago

DocPossum 10 years, 6 months ago

Just a suggestion before you trash a potential recruit. When Charlie was at ND generally if a recruit "was looking he was looking". If a recruit verbally committed to another school the coaching staff quit going after the kid. Several years later, after his time at Florida, and watching what the Kellys and others do with recruiting in 2012, I'm sure he has rethought his strategy. You don't give up! If you want a kid bad enough in a critical position you continue to go after him, right up to signing day. Texas and Florida coaches may be able to say, "Take a hike" to a recruit, but in a state with few D-1 recruits you cannot. With a enough "love" recruits can be flipped back. Notre Dame has two freshman studs in the D-Line that they got to flip back. Do your recruiting staff a favor and don't trash a kid. They may still be working on him for a critical position for your team. Think before you write or tweet. To recruit on a national stage, you must communicate that KU is a welcoming place. If you must spew venom, do after the NSD.