Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jeff Schippers of Broken Arrow, Okla., wins KUsports.com bracket contest

Jeff Schippers of Broken Arrow, Okla. — winner of the 2012 KUsports.com bracket contest, sponsored by Intrust Bank.

Jeff Schippers' prediction came true, even though he told family and friends that he hoped it wouldn't.

Schippers, from Broken Arrow, Okla., knew that with a Kentucky victory over Kansas in the national championship game, he would be declared the winner in KUsports.com's bracket contest.

Though he cheered for it not to happen, he'll end up with a nice consolation prize for being KUsports.com's best NCAA Tournament prognosticator.

Schippers was the big winner in KUsports.com's 2012 NCAA Tournament bracket contest — sponsored by Intrust Bank — and is the recipient of this year's grand prize: a $500 Visa gift card.

Schippers, who correctly picked the Final Four of Louisville, Ohio State, KU and UK, said he completed his picks in about 10 minutes.

"I could try to say that I used extensive statistical analyses, but the truth of the matter is just got lucky," Schippers said. "I do watch many games but would not say I am an expert by any means. I just had a feeling when making the picks and just went with whatever I thought at the moment."

Schippers was a wrestler in high school and wasn't much of a basketball fan until his freshman year at KU in 1984 — which also happened to be the freshman year of KU basketball player Danny Manning.

Schippers quickly fell in love with the sport, attending the 1986 Final Four in person before celebrating the 1988 national championship on campus.

"It has been a fantastic journey watching KU basketball," Schippers said, "and the future appears very bright."

Heather Ng of Mesa, Ariz., took second place, finishing just five points behind Schippers while correctly predicting three of the Final Four teams.

Ng, who will receive a a $250 gift card from KUSportsstore.com, grew up in Lawrence and has been a KU fan for as long as she can remember.

"I really just did some guessing from the basketball I watched this season when filling out my bracket," Ng said. "I always favor Big 12 schools and wanted to see an MU versus KU rematch, of course. The upsets I guessed correctly were mainly from seeing those schools upset teams in the regular season."

Jon Denning of Lawrence finished in third place and will receive a framed print of “Mario’s Shot.”

For the second straight year, photographer Nick Krug was the top KUsports.com staff bracket, placing him at 180th out of 3,461 KUsports.com entries.

For a chance to win one of three Final Four prize packages, be sure to check out our latest KUsports.com contest.

Comments

Jayhawk_4_Life 10 years, 6 months ago

$250 gift card? that's it? I was expecting it to be at least $2,000

RISEABOVEHATE56 10 years, 5 months ago

LMFAO!!! How many brackets was the guy running on how many user names I bet if they look into it...I bet he was running 5 to 20 different ones so he could just win...

See that's one reason why i dont do online contest like that..

BECAUSE THESE TYPE OF CONTEST BRINGS THE CHEATERS OUT.

THEY CANT JUST DO ONE BRACKET AND LET EVERYBODY ELSE HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN

THEY HAVE TO CHEAT. WHO KNOWS...LOOKS LIKE HE IS A GUY WHO WORKS FOR THE KUSPORTS.COM WEBSITE...

LMFAO!!!! WHAT A CHEATER.

Hurinfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Those who don't have KU winning don't deserve to win any prizes. I don't care if it played out that way.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

That's the way I feel. Of course I'm a little biased since I would have won the pool if KU had won.

Jeff Smith 10 years, 5 months ago

ugh thats why people hate ku fans...best bracket won

10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Jeff, however I would liked to have seen actorman (and thus KU) win :^)

JayHawkFanToo 10 years, 6 months ago

There should be a special prize for the most points while picking KU to win the Championship.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Will he have to vacate the prize money in a few years?

clevelandjayhawker 10 years, 6 months ago

dont take this the wrong way, but was hoping you or jaybate would have won, would be cool to put a face to the post i read daily. maybe next year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

And I think Jaybate has t notify you if he moves into your neighborhood, so there's still a chance!

kureader 10 years, 6 months ago

I can't say that I laugh at many of your "too frequent" posts. But the last two were outstanding! Very funny!

dylans 10 years, 6 months ago

Nice bracket. I should've entered here instead of ESPN's bracket challenge. Top ten would've been better than 27009. I wish that my bracket had been worse and KU had won it all though.

paducahawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations Jeff from a former ChemE classmate.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Mercenary!!!

How dare you reap riches based on the sorrow and suffering of Jayhawk Nation!! You will now forever be known as the John Bartman of Kansas basketball!! :)

I've been to Broken Arrow also...you have an uninterrupterd view of the curvature of the earth in all directions. I'm sure that's a photo backdrop set up on the parking lot of the local Bass Pro Shop out on the highway east of town.

I like the other winner, though...how can you not smile at a name with no vowels!!

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 6 months ago

Lol... congrats Jon. Can't wait to see "the shot" on display at our apartment.

Marty Sedlacek 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats from a fellow KU classmate from the 1988 Class of Champions.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Did you guys all eat breakfast together, also????

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the picture above...trust me, there are no trees in Oklahoma, much less mountains or bodies of water bigger than backyard swimming pools!!

Scott Morgan 10 years, 6 months ago

Grand Lake will put any and I do mean any shallow dirt pond we call lakes in Kansas to shame.

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 6 months ago

No, I recognize that scene. It is taken just outside Broken Arrow with the camera pointed Northwest capturing the towering Gyp Hills in the background.

kualex13 10 years, 6 months ago

@OakvilleJHawk close guess... my mom took that picture of uncle Jeff on the family's Alaskan vacation last year. That is real scenery.

Mike Skiles 10 years, 6 months ago

Per your Kentucky 'win', go out and have a nice meal on your Visa gift card and we hope you get indigestion! I too had KU and UK in the championship game, but no way could I have kept a clean conscience by picking the wildcat!

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

I'll agree, the picture is more brokeback mountain than broken arrow.

gchawk 10 years, 6 months ago

You try so hard, many would say "too hard".

swavity 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't know what's scarier: losing nuclear weapons, or that it happens so often there's actually a place named for it.

Cameron Cederlind 10 years, 6 months ago

Being that it's Oklahoma, it's probably a reference to Native Americans and not the loss of a nuclear weapon.

BillSelf4Prez 10 years, 6 months ago

What's with all the complaining of if its broken arrow or not?

Mike Kendall 10 years, 6 months ago

Guessed all Final 4 teams in the bracket. Unbelievable!!!!! Predicted a UK/KU Final----that's really unbelievable, especially since it has never ever happened in Tournament history. Right before the Big 12 Tournament started, I said that if Kentucky and the Jayhawks met in the Final in New Orleans, that would be "kind of like being in heaven." Should have gone with my gut instinct when the teams were announced. Oh well.

Jeff----congrats and spend your money wisely!!!!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

I think anybody who wins the prize and didn't pick KU to win should have the integrity to donate their prize to Bill Self's foundation.

I'm promising everybody that If I am ever fortunate enough, lucky enough, or otherwise blessed enough to win a prize of any value, I will fork it over and it will benefit others in some fashion ( and I will always pick KU to win!). I challenge everybody else to consider this as well.

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 6 months ago

I won't bet on sports and I don't like fantasy leagues. I'm a fan and clearly would be a loser betting with my heart. I'm not going to get satisfaction when my team loses, that at least the winning Quarterback was on my fantasy team. I know the massisve popularity of the NFL is related to betting and that fantasy leagues are loved by many. I'm glad everyone has different interests. So, yeah I picked KU/UK in the championship game and figured it was likely UK would win. I can't imagine hedging my bet by hoping for the Jayhawks and betting on UK. However, I don't want to join in on the guilt trip and animousity directed at this guy for winning with his head.

bbeckum 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey LJW: Just read the article from yesterday where HCBS spoke of taking the team to Italy this summer, so I'm posting this here, hoping it will be seen. You guys should arrange a tour for jayhawk fans to follow the hawks around italy this summer and watch all their games. Just sayin. I'd go, but then I'm a goober.

Miles Nease 10 years, 5 months ago

Congrats Jeff. You haven't aged a bit since you were living at 1911 Stewart.