Sunday, September 4, 2011

Boone Pickens speaks out, sees OSU in Pac-12

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger comments on the uncertain future of the Big 12 during halftime of KU's game against McNeese State on Sept. 3, 2011, at Memorial Stadium.

— Oklahoma State billionaire booster Boone Pickens says he doesn’t think the Big 12 will last much longer and believes the Cowboys eventually will end up in what’s now the Pac-12 Conference.

Speaking before No. 9 Oklahoma State’s season opener Saturday, Pickens said the Big 12 probably won’t exist in five years.

In a statement, Oklahoma State President Burns Hargis confirmed university officials “worked actively to encourage Texas A&M; to remain in the Big 12 and regret the Aggies decided to leave.”

Hargis said Oklahoma State is “moving ahead. Oklahoma State University’s athletic program has never been stronger from top to bottom, putting us in a position to explore and pursue options, including the possible expansion of our current conference. We are in close communications with our colleagues at the University of Oklahoma and expect a decision soon that will be in the best interest of our institutions and the state of Oklahoma.”

Pickens said Oklahoma State does not need to hurry a decision.

“Don’t rush the monkey and you’ll see a better show,” Pickens said. “...We don’t have to decide this weekend.

Pickens said TCU is the logical choice if the Big 12 wants to add a 10th team following Texas A&M;’s departure. He says Notre Dame and BYU wouldn’t be good fits for the conference.

“Notre Dame already has a network and they’re damaged merchandise, as far as I’m concerned,” Pickens said. “I don’t want Notre Dame. And BYU? Who in the hell knows where Provo, Utah, is? The natural one is TCU. So, if that’s it, do it and go forward.

“You can fix the Big 12 now, but it’s got to go to an equal deal, and it’s not equal.”

Texas, which seemed in control of the situation last season as a half-dozen Big 12 members considered invitations from the Pac-12, might have overplayed its hand with the creation of the Longhorn Network, which has been cited by supporters of A&M; and other Big 12 schools as giving the Longhorns an unfair advantage.

“The network could have been the straw that broke the camel’s back,” he said. “A lot of people didn’t understand how dominant Texas was in the Big 12, how powerful they were.”

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds “is a friend of mine,” Pickens said. “But DeLoss had too many cards and he played every damn one of them. I think that’s too bad. You get tired of saying ‘aaah’ while you get something shoved down your throat. I think that’s where we came out.”

Comments

madamhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Boone, tell us how you really feel!

Honest & fiesty...I think I like it.

selfishhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

I'll put my paycheck to work, too. Unfortunately, I think we blew our chance because the PAC 12 took Utah. That leaves us fighting the lil sisters Tech and Okie State for the last spot. Our adminstrators failed us miserably here. The undying loyalty to the Big 12 should have stopped when Nebraska bounced and Misery was beggin to go with them. Stupid!! Come on, Keegan, time for another story about how strong the Big 12 will be with just Iowa St, K-State, Baylor and KU. How 'bout a quote from Self saying that we will be fine and he likes the idea of playing K-State 4 times for basketball (actually, I think he would enjoy this - nobody loves bragging about worthless Big 12 ...10 ...4 championships like Self). I have never been so ashamed of the intellect of Kansans.

Miles Nease 11 years, 3 months ago

He will look pretty silly if they don't get an invite to the Pac. Please let this happen!!

ralphus 11 years, 3 months ago

Um, who in the hell knows where Stillwater, Okla., is?

What a tool.

jgkojak 11 years, 3 months ago

What has me worried - a few weeks ago how the Big East-Big 12 and ACC commishes were talking - I imagine essentially securing a home for all the football playing schools in some merged frankenconference of the remaining schools - a 20 team basketball/16 team footbal monstrosity.

We SHOULD be in the B10 with Nebraska.

Instead, I fear a Big Frankenstein WEST and EAST WEST Kansas KSU ISU Cinci Louisville TCU Baylor Notre Dame Marqette DePaul =basketball only

Dave Benjamin 11 years, 3 months ago

I like Pickens but have an issue with this.

Wasn't he the guy who laughed off adding TCU last year? Apparently, a BCS win can change people's attitudes quickly:

I like how he's going on record to point this whole ordeal at Texas despite others keeping this more sanitized. Ultimately if they agreed to a more equitable revenue-sharing model, we wouldn't be in this situation. Based on reading the article from which these quotes were pulled, Pickens sees "heading West" as the lesser of the 2 options.

utahjayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

This is exactly the mentality I would think that upper-echelon schools like Cal and Stanford would be absolutely terrified of bringing into the Pac-XX. I agree with his sentiments about Texas where his points are exactly right on all counts, but his blatant ignorance and his hickish comments are just astounding.

In the end, OSU and good 'ol T Boone are going to be goin' whichever way the Sooner nation wind is blowin' ---- riding those draggin' coattails and all.