Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Houston coach Kevin Sumlin deflects talk about his future

Houston coach Kevin Sumlin deflected questions about his future Tuesday, saying he’s had several conversations with athletic director Mack Rhoades about a contract extension.

Sumlin is a hot commodity after guiding Houston to unprecedented heights in four seasons.

The seventh-ranked Cougars (12-0, 8-0) can finish the program’s first undefeated season and likely land its first Bowl Championship Series berth with a victory in Saturday’s Conference USA championship game at home against No. 24 Southern Miss (10-2, 6-2).

Sumlin’s current contract pays him a base salary of between $1 million and $1.2 million and runs through the 2015 season.

“I’ve talked to Mack a couple of times, we’ve had a couple different discussions about a lot of things,” Sumlin said. “I’ve got a really strong relationship with him, an open relationship. Our administration understands that we’re trying to win a championship, and things that detract from that, I’m not really interested in doing.”

Houston is 35-16 in Sumlin’s four seasons, and has turned into one of the nation’s most prolific offenses along the way. The Cougars lead the nation in total offense (613.3 yards per game), scoring (52.7 points per game) and passing yards (449.7 per game). They’ve scored at least 35 points in every game, and hit at least 56 in six victories.

Current coaching vacancies include Mississippi, Illinois, UCLA and Arizona State, and more firings are inevitable.

“Nobody has talked to me all year,” Sumlin said. “No one has contacted me from anywhere in the country about a coaching job anywhere. Even if they tried, at this point, I wouldn’t even talk to them. We’re in the middle of the season.”

Rhoades acknowledged that he has talked to Sumlin about his future with Houston.

“We’re going to continue to talk, as appropriate,” Rhoades said on Tuesday night.

Comments

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

Speak for yourself, I wasn't thinking that at all!

Bville Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Unbelievably stupid post. kusportsdotcom- did you have a klan meeting last night that didn't go well?

JHawk74 10 years, 6 months ago

@kusportsdotcom: What is your name and address so I can come kick your butt for a stupid comment like that.

blackhawkjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow....the most idiotic post ever. Congratulations.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Double Wow. I've heard some ignorant stuff here (SAID some ignorant stuff here) - but blackhawk is right - that one takes the cake. UN BE lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevable.

JayDocMD 10 years, 6 months ago

Interesting to note that the AP didnt feel the need to list KU as one of the openings.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

You told a lot about yourself today kusportscommie.

I didn't even know that he had that in common with TG. What I did know is that he took a downtrodden (YES, I finally got to use "downtrodden") program, turned them around and is evidently one hell of a good coach.

LJ Gee 10 years, 6 months ago

this article seems out of place on the KUSports website. There isnt a mention of KU at all. I know this is one of the guys who is remotely on the radar for KU but at least tie it back in somewhere in the article. And just wanted to say, Sumlin is not leaving UH for KU. Trust me, I live in Houston. He is going to stay at UH until he finds the "right situation" and I dont think KU Football is "the right situation" for him. He wants to go to a program with much more cache in a more fertile recruiting state. UCLA is a real possibility if they dont get Pederson