Wednesday, November 23, 2011

KU, Mizzou fans face off in food drive challenge

— A Kansas City food bank is tapping into the Missouri-Kansas football rivalry to drum up holiday donations.

Fans from both schools are squaring off in a "Border Hunger Showdown" organized by the Harvesters Community Food Network. The online food drive tracks donations by supporters of both schools.

As of Tuesday afternoon, University of Kansas fans had donated more than 57,000 meals worth $11,520. The University of Missouri faithful accounted for 38,000 meals worth $7,680. Missouri has won the contest the previous four years.

The Jayhawks and Tigers play Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium for what could be the final time. Missouri is preparing to leave the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference.

Online donations to Harvesters will be accepted until Saturday's 2:30 p.m. kickoff.

Comments

sportjunky 10 years, 6 months ago

Ugh, this rivalry is so over now that Mizzou has left for the SEC. Why are we even bothering with this kind of dribble? Yes, it is for a VERY good cause, but trying to use the now dead rivalry to spur it along? Weak. Mizzou has already sunk to an afterthought.

Ardy Dehdasht 10 years, 6 months ago

The only event that we might be winning this weekend. I am a 3 generation die hard KU fan but I am hoping we don't win to not give HCTG any leverage on returning next year... YES! I know it is very terrible of me but I am sick of losing and being at the wrong end of every football joke.

JayHawkFanToo 10 years, 6 months ago

A lot more at stake than just HC Gill situation. The all-time head to head record is now tied and the Big 12 record as well. A loss will, at least for the foreseeable future, give MU the edge...and bragging rights As the chance of future games, at this time, is very small, winning this game would give KU fans bragging rights and provide MU with an appropriate sendoff to the SEC.

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't really see it that way but if you want bragging rights we are 1-0-0 in civil wars.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't want HCTG back, but I want a victory. I think his fate is sealed, win or lose.

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

ardy682

You might be a KU fan but you are certaintly not of the die hard variety.

Steve Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

Never ever want to lose to MU for any condition.

I will toast to memory of Coach Fam. this week.

As a student many years ago, when Coach F talked about the MU game the veins in his neck would push out like an alien and his voice got deep and even more raspy.

Miss you Coach Fambro....

KU79 10 years, 6 months ago

The mizzou fans were probably confused . . . they showed up to get the free meal, not to donate one.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 6 months ago

KU79---

Ouch! That hurts, if one is a meth fan!

Ron Prichard 10 years, 6 months ago

It may just be me but I absolutely hate it when I hear a KU fan say they want the Hawks to lose at anything, and especially basketball or football. Originally, I wanted to give Gill another year, but after the KSU and aTm losses I am firmly of the opinion he has to go. Still, I have rooted for KU for every game this year and will do so in person on Saturday at Arrowhead.

I want to beat MU so badly for this last rivalry game I think I might go into a funk if we lose (which, I will admit, is likely). I think Gill is gone win or lose. Still, no matter what, I will be cheering loudly and proudly on Saturday for my school. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to want my team to lose a game...for any reason. It's just not right.

RCJH!!!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 6 months ago

I will be disappointed if we lose to Mizzery like we did to aTm and HCTG comes back for another year. Why keep him if he is already on the hot seat? I don't understand all the contract particulars, in regard to Gill's hiring, but let's face it---I don't see the situation getting better. Keeping him another year means most likely another miserable season. K-State kept Ron Prince for three years and really, the Wildcats should have made the decision to let him go after two years.

pstonef 10 years, 6 months ago

Anyone hearing the rumors out of Utah....is BYU hoping for a Big XII invite now that the conference is stable and their dancing with the Big Least is over?? We can add them, Boise State, Louisville and ND and be happily at 14...we all know that the Big XII allows for independent TV contracts and the conference would be the strongest in most athletics and academics,

I'm just saying.......

Brak 10 years, 6 months ago

I would not mind adding BYU to the conference but I just don't know if its even possible. The main reason they dissed the Big Least is because they wanted to retain the rights to all of their home games. With the television contract that is in place I don't think that is a possibility.

squawkhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict KU loses this contest too...just like they do every other contest they are involved with.