Monday, November 21, 2011

Seattle prep Anrio Adams confirms pledge

The commitment of Seattle combo guard Anrio Adams, which was reported in Sunday’s Journal-World, is now official. Adams, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound senior from Rainier Beach High, told Rivals.com on Sunday he’d spoken to Kansas University coach Bill Self, who Adams said, “is very excited I’ve decided to attend Kansas.”

Adams, who will take the SAT test in early December, will sign with KU in April.

Adams, who has attended three high schools, started at Seattle’s Franklin High, then moved over to Seattle’s Garfield High a year ago. He planned to transfer to St. Patrick High in New Jersey for his senior year, but changed his mind and now is at Rainier, the alma mater of former KU guard Rodrick Stewart.

Currently unranked, he chose KU over Washington, Baylor, UCLA and Louisville.

“I’m cleared and eligible to play this season at Rainier Beach," he told Rivals.com. “I’m eligible to play this year and I'm looking forward to the season. I’m doing my SAT and ACT stuff right now, so as far as being ready and getting prepped for college, I should be ready for next year. I decided to commit to Kansas now so I can focus on school and basketball. I'm the type of player that can do everything on the basketball court.”

What a schedule: KU senior point guard Tyshawn Taylor was thrilled to play Kentucky in Madison Square Garden on Tuesday. Now he gets to play Georgetown today in the Maui Invite.

“It’s one of the best tournaments ever, a legendary tournament,” Taylor said. “I’m excited I get to play in it my last year of college.”

KU could play Georgetown, UCLA and Duke in this tourney.

“We are Kansas, man,” Taylor said. “That’s what we signed up for when we want to come here.”

Finding Nemo: KU’s Jeff Withey and Conner Teahan went snorkeling Sunday and reported they saw sea turtles.

No love for the Hoyas: Georgetown, which lost guards Austin Freeman and Chris Wright and center Julian Vaughn off a 21-11 team, was picked 10th in the preseason Big East coaches poll. Sixteen schools play in the league.

That’s not a lot of respect for a team that has advanced to the NCAA Tournament five times in the last seven years.

“We don’t need a reminder,” coach John Thompson III said. “What coaches vote on in July is irrelevant once we get on the court in January, February and March. Our guys realize that. We’ve been picked where we are. Now we’ve got to play.”

Clark leads: Georgetown senior Jason Clark averaged 12.0 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.5 steals per game last season. He is the team’s most experienced returnee, with 66 starts in 97 games.

“There’s a lot of responsibility, but I just want to be a leader for this team,” Clark told the school’s official Website. “We have a lot of young guys, but I just want to a leader for them and welcome them to the world of college basketball.”

Big trouble in China: Georgetown’s team went 4-0 on an 11-day summertime trip to China. A fight actually broke out in one of the games.

“I don’t know whether you can measure that,” Thompson said asked if the trip helped his team. “We’re not the only team to take a foreign trip, a lot of teams did. It definitely helped us, I think. How much? Who knows and we’ll see.”

“I think our bond together is huge,” Clark said following the trip. “Just being over there together got us to be stronger and helped us to be closer as a team. I think it’s going to help us on and off the floor.”

This, that: Georgetown won the only meeting between the schools, 70-57, in the semifinals of the 1987 NCAA Southeast Regional in Louisville. Danny Manning had 23 for KU and Reggie Williams 34 for Georgetown. ... KU is 7-5 all-time at the Maui Invitational. KU won the ’96 Invite, beating LSU, Cal and Virginia. KU played fourth in ’88, third in 2001, seventh in ’05.

Comments

FEARTHEPHOGKJ 10 years, 6 months ago

very determined and talented man that wants nothing but success..i like that.looking foward to watching your game at KU welcome to jayhawk nation.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

What about the sentence vexes you? Finding Nemo seems an accessible movie allusion. Sea turtles are cool and oft seen in Hawaii. I have caught more than one ride with them when scuba diving there.

Now here is a strange sentence.

Finding Breaking Bad: KU's Jeff Withey and Conner Teahan went snorkeling Sunday and report finding porpoises reading the Atlantic Monthly and reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards in Hungarian.

That is a strange sentence. :-)

bad_dog 10 years, 6 months ago

How about Finding "Splash" (Daryl Hannah)

Lance Hobson 10 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't find the Atlantic Monthly part as troublesome as much as ironic, it being the Pacific in which they frolic. That's a fine magazine.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

Using the word 'vexes' vexes me. Always reminds me of Gladiator : )

KUDUDE 10 years, 6 months ago

WHY WUOLD THAT BE A JOKE WHAT JEFF WITHEY AND CONNER TEAHAN SAW THERE ARE SEA TURTIES THERE IN MAUI

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

I went snorkeling in Potter Lake last year and found an intact, unopened Coors beer from 1976.

It is no longer unopened. :-)

Rob Keeney 10 years, 6 months ago

That was mine. We were playing hockey and somebody flipped one of my beers to the end that didn't freeze all the way.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 6 months ago

Only thing I hate about this tournament is the 11 pm tipoff. However, this truly is the best time of the year for sports fans!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Thank God for taping broadcasts..win and watch./lose and delete.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

A couple years ago, when Kerry Meier beat Misery in the last minute, my wife made me go to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. After watching the first half, I turned off the cell phone, turned all the radios to FM, knew my in-laws wouldn't know the score and closed the garage door upon getting home to make sure the neighbors didn't say anything. I was able to watch the second half as if it was live. My screams came late, but it was fun nonetheless. It can be done...just don't let yourself know the outcome!

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't think there's ever truly a wrong time to watch KU break Misuse's heart. Let's just hope we have one more chance to experience it, even if we are asking for a miracle.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

Faint heart!!!!!!!!

J'accuse you of infidelity'!

I will stay up and watch the game....as you must too.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

...even if your wife says you have to come to bed??? HMMM, I have to think about this one!!!

lee3022 10 years, 6 months ago

Ha - your wife goes to bed every night but KU vs. Georgetown? That is rare.

Easy call but then I don't know your wife!

Ardy Dehdasht 10 years, 6 months ago

By no mean I am the "English police" here... but I think the very last sentence is trying to say we "placed" and not "played". but again I am math teacher, I could be reading it wrong. You might want to fix that Gary (if that is what you meant to say).

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Looks like you made a good career choice. :)

dylans 10 years, 6 months ago

+1 If you're going to correct someone's grammar you should check your own.

vd 10 years, 6 months ago

Going from Seattle to New Jersey for his Sr. year? How can these kids be considered amateurs? Why do these state athletic associations allow this stuff?

WilburNether 10 years, 6 months ago

Three high schools. The NCAA folks who rule on qualifiers, eligibility, and such will be just thrilled with that. It would appear that the lesson from having two freshmen sitting out this year has not yet been learned.

jhawkpb23 10 years, 6 months ago

I was just going to comment about this. Definitely makes me wonder if the NCAA will rule something on this guy too.

lee3022 10 years, 6 months ago

The SAT must be a determinate there. If the scores are marginal then the transcript becomes more suspect. If the scores are average or above average the transcript means less. Also all three schools are public schools as opposed to prep schools involved with the others.

The NCAA is trying to rid the sport of schools that exist only for basketball with a handful of teachers and an easy grading system. The public schools do not fit that mold and are likely to be fine if the scores are ok.

REHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

A talented kid wants to be a Jayhawk. If Bill Self wants the kid in his program, then welcome aboard, Anrio...whether you are issued a uniform in Oct. 2012 or 2013. It is a joy to recruit a gifted player who makes no bones about desiring to play for KU.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

"New New Rules" --Bill Mahr

Who cares when Anrio is cleared, as long as he gets cleared and is a player?

BenMac and Traylor will be good adds next season.

Anrio would be a good add, even it is the season after that.

In fact, if you think about it, it works as a kind of red-shirt system.

It is going to allow Self to really pack teams with numbers down stream.

eastTXjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

i see no issue with these multi high school guys (as far as recruiting goes) if we take care of the due diligence and bring them up as partial qualifiers before the season starts (I don't know if you can really do this or not) but that's the problem we had with all three this year....the B12 allows partial qualifiers if they've been approved previously.

having said that, i don't understand why someone would attend so many different high schools. in texas there are residency rules (loose one's obviously, i believe there is plenty of HS recruiting done in texas.)

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

Just guessing, but here's some possible reasons -- a baker's dozen: 1. I can't stand the coach. 2. They make me go to class. 3. They make me attend real classes. 4. They don't run an offense I like. 5. They don't let me play every minute. 6. I'm not the focal point of the offense. 7. They make me play defense. 8. The coach makes us wear adidas, not nike (or whatever). 9. The team's shorts fit a little high on the knee. 10. Their uniforms are ugly. 11. We do too much conditioning. 12. We have to pass the ball. 13. And the catch all .. the grass is always greener.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 6 months ago

Possible starting lineup, 2013-14: 1. Tharpe 2. Adams 3. McLemore 4. Peters 5. Lucas

Ellis goes pro.

It's game day, no recruiting discourse. Agreed?

Ben Simonett 10 years, 6 months ago

I highly doubt Ellis is a OAD.

But even with Ellis, that lineup is concerning

Robert Brock 10 years, 6 months ago

That team wouldn't qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Borderline for the NIT...

KUfanInFlorida 10 years, 6 months ago

HighEliteMajor,

are you serious about that line up?

Class of 2013 should be one of the best ever since we got the playing time and Peters.

Here is my line up

Tharpe Frankamp Ellis Randle Noel

KU_alum_2001 10 years, 6 months ago

Former recruit, Jabari Brown, left Oregon.

He's obviously of HIGHLY-questionable character at this point but what about Self offering a scholarship to now-transfer Brown? He probably won't be eligible to play til next season, possibly not even til the spring semester, and we have a scholarship post-TRob. We obviously thought he was worth recruiting originally. His departure from Oregon after two games is clearly a huge red flag but we certainly could use another ball handler post-TT. I realize our it's the low-post where we truly need help but if we can't find anyone, this might be an alternative, although I certainly wouldn't kick and scream to get a guy that walked out on his team.

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 6 months ago

This does nothing to settle the hot topic of late. What has happened to Bill Self's recruiting prowess?

lee3022 10 years, 6 months ago

Seven conference championships in a row.

Kansas basketball is better than one and done players. Those players realize they have a very short window to showcase their game and potential. That does not happen at Kansas so easily. Players have to earn their spots and nobody is showcased.

It is clear that coach has access to the top players and made the final five from many of them. That is mostly positive even if most did not accept the offer. But the landscape will change next year. At that point I anticipate a new NBA - NBPA rule that requires players to stay until 20 or 21 years of age. It will restore order to the college scene because the best players will not want to go to a school and sit one or two years.

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 6 months ago

Past performance is no indication future performance. Seven conference championships were built with top 50 talent, not unranked talent.