Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Matt Tait’s football notebook: KU coach Turner Gill talks about Missouri’s departure

Kansas head coach Turner Gill watches from the sidelines during the first quarter on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

Sunday, after weeks of delaying, Missouri University officially announced its intention to join the SEC in 2012. Monday, on the Big 12 coaches teleconference, Gill echoed the comments shared by men’s basketball coach Bill Self, athletic director Sheahon Zenger and Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little.

“I don’t see us playing them in the future,” Gill said of Mizzou. “I think the rivalry between Kansas and Missouri would be something I think belongs in the Big 12 Conference.”

Gov. Sam Brownback also weighed in with his thoughts Monday and said he was sorry to see the Tigers go but that he didn’t think the loss of MU would harm the Big 12.

“It will ultimately be the strongest conference in the country,” Brownback said of the Big 12.

Baylor opens as favorite

When Baylor comes to Memorial Stadium for a 1 p.m. kickoff Saturday, it will mark the ninth-straight game in which the KU football team will take the field as the underdog. The Bears (5-3 overall, 2-6 Big 12) opened as 17.5-point favorites over the Jayhawks (2-7, 0-6) and, as of late Monday, were already up to 20-point favorites in some spots.

This week’s match-up with Baylor will not be televised and will be the last home game in the careers of 15 KU seniors.

Comments

blackhawkjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Coach Gill for standing up. Whether he stays or goes, I like the guy. He's classy, he's positive and he's a stand up guy. I wish him and his family the very best.

squawkhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

For $2MM a year I think I could be a very stand up and classy guy too.

Gary Wirsig 10 years, 6 months ago

I believe it's a character issue, not a money issue, squawk. Thank you for clarifying the issue about yourself for us.

Rich Noever 10 years, 6 months ago

Being classy has nothing to do with money so squawk I wouldn't count on it.

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 6 months ago

Gill is in over his head. This program takes someone with balls of steel to make it successful. Gill was another pendulum swing hire just like Terry Allen.

just hope we find a guy that does it and is willing to stay and build the legacy ala Snyder. Although, I'm not sure anyone else can win at K-State either. Snyder's formula seems to be the only one that works there.

Maracas 10 years, 6 months ago

There's no "us" in KU's future for you, Gill.

Robert Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

There NO reason we shouldn't play MU in the future. The football team is so pathetic, it can't afford to play a 'real' non-conference opponent. The comments coming out of the university over MU's departure are embarrassing.

Eric Dawson 10 years, 6 months ago

-1 (just to offset tailgater :)

Your initial statement is so wrong. If you provide reasons why KU should continue to play mOO, we can shoot them all down for you. Upon calm contemplation of all the facts, there are really no reasons why KU should continue to play mOO.

I -- and the vast majority of my fellow KU alums I've encountered -- believe that the comments coming out of KU are the only comments that can really be made given the circumstances. KU has been polite but firm in wishing mOO well, but not planning on playing them in the future.

FTR, I also have an A&M degree and hate the fact that they have turned tail and yelped out of the league because they couldn't stand up to Bevo. I think Bevo was absolutely correct in taking the same stance with my Ags that my Jayhawks are taking with mOO.

You want to play with us? Stay with us. No? Then go.

lovethetigers 10 years, 6 months ago

Agree, as a lifelong KU hater, we should play, Mizzou won't win every game every year so some years you will probably qualify for a bowl, others not. My passion for the Border War isn't lessened by our being in different conferences.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Anyone else pumped that Brock Berglunds girlfriend is coming to Larryville to play soccer?

stuck88 10 years, 6 months ago

hahaha yeah I am, I hope shes about 5 feet tall with thunder thighs.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Based on pictures she is well worth Brock's indecisiveness, punching someone in the face for, and ensuing legal troubles.

hawgsfan 10 years, 6 months ago

I think that KU fans have to understand something here. Missouri isn't leaving the conference because of KU, so Jayhawk fans shouldn't feel as scorned as they currently are reacting. Missouri left because of all of the shenanigans that Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were playing. You essentially have Texas and Oklahoma dictating what goes on in the conference with no regard as to what is in the best interest of the other schools within the conference. Do you really think that the Longhorn Network was created in the best interest of the Big XII? Don't be surprised when Oklahoma tries to do the same and then try to justify it to the rest of the conference members. KU fans need to be more concerned about where will the Jayhawks go if Texas and Oklahoma were to leave the conference! If that happens, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech will follow. You'll then have TCU, Baylor, Kansas and Kansas State. Is that really a situation that KU wants to be in?

MDHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps KU fans feel scorned because Mizzou started the conference instability mess last year by flirting with the Big 10, and perpetuate it by choosing to leave this year. It's not that we don't understand why they're leaving...rather we're upset because instead of sticking around with their long-time rival and working together to rectify things in our conference, they jump ship and leave us with doubts about our conference future (which you astutely describe). While it seems as though our conference will be fine for the time being, the look of it certainly has changed for the worse (in my opinion).

The issues with the Big XII are obvious...you provide no insight by pointing them out. What is concerning is that the people we need to help us rectify conference equity are bolting and leaving us to deal with OU and UT alone. We've been in a showdown with the neighborhood bullies for the last several months, and just when we seem to be gaining a little ground, our friend turns his back on us and runs away. Wouldn't you be a little upset? While the Big XII is the best place for KU right now, it's certainly not as enjoyable without our rival. A token game would pay pitiful homage to a former 100+ year conference rivalry, and only serve as a reminder that they turned their back on us when we needed them most. No thanks.

hawgsfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Missouri only showed interest in the Big 10 when Nebraska and Colorado left for the PAC 12 and Big 10 as well as Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech wanting to join the PAC 12. Then you had Texas and Oklahoma flirting again this year with leaving the Big XII and Missouri finally played its card with the SEC and bolted. In an ideal situation, Missouri, KU, K-State and Iowa State would have joined Nebraska and moved to the Big 10. But the Big 10 had no interest in adding K-State and Iowa State to the mix. There's no way to rectify the Big XII conference and it's a shipwreck waiting to happen. If you think at all that there's any progress being made in making the conference stable, you're fooling yourself. Texas and Oklahoma are just buying time before they make their move to the PAC 12. What will happen when they leave? Will KU still keep blaming Missouri or will they be complacent with a league that includes TCU, West Virginia, Louisville and maybe Cincinnati?

MDHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

MU isn't solely to blame, but they contributed...and I believe their flirtation with the Big 10 began before NU left. MU was denied prior to NU being admitted.

The more schools that leave, the less potential for progress. Whether or not we would have be successful is obviously debatable...I wasn't terribly hopeful, but MU leaving just puts us further in the hole. I agree with many of your points, but it's ridiculous to think that MU's leaving doesn't put KU in a worse position, and thus our frustration shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

You are simply wrong. Not only did Misery flirt with the Big 10 last year (before others), they did it at least a couple times in the past, always sighting an internal belief they belonged in the Big 10 because of their superior athletics. Knowing how off-base you were on that presumption, I disregarded the rest of your points.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

I did, however, mean to say "superior academics" not "superior athletics"

hawgsfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Maybe you need to look again at history because it was in 1993 that Missouri AND Kansas were wanting to leave the Big 8 for the Big 10.

utahjayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

hawgs, even if both KU and MU were interested in the Big 10 when the future of the Big 8 was uncertain, it was almost 20 years ago!!! It's completely irrelevant to what has happened over the last few years.

As for the facts, MU was clearly publicly inviting themselves into the Big 10 and it started early in 2010. That was the spark that started the instability that ultimately completely changed the Big XII forever. Definitly, UT's power grab influenced it as well but MU's part in this whole debacle will not be argued when the history books are written in the future.

Rich Noever 10 years, 6 months ago

Utah, you are correct. Why do these Misery fans fail to remember how these things went down? They should vote for Cain. He does the same thing.

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

I think most of the blame lies with Jim Delaney. They were not content having a conference with the most revenue, they wanted more. There's greed and then there's greed. Shame on them for putting money first and students and tradition second.

rhollinshed 10 years, 6 months ago

KU fans understand all of that and more. Hawgsfan would understand SW conference mess and SEC stuff. Please don't try to explain our culture to us. Who cares if they are mad at us or left or didn't leave because of us. It is up to the University of Kansas to decide who we play. If the administration is saying we will not play them, sobeit! Stay in the SEC and mind bama and LSU business. They are the Texsas of the Big 12. And I am sure they have their own drama......as I am sure Fizzou will soon find out.

Robert Brock 10 years, 6 months ago

Wut? You just lost Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri - four excellent schools - and replaced them with Texas Christian and West Virginia (neither are AAU schools). How does that "ultimately" make us the strongest conference? Stronger than the Big Ten? Stronger than the SEC?

Texas lost their top rival of all-time; Kansas lost its ancient rival, too. Geez.

hawksince51 10 years, 6 months ago

You expected objectivity from a politician? C'mon Man!!

xanto 10 years, 6 months ago

The Big XII will be fine. If we wanted to be a 16 team conference we would have no trouble getting there. This is a circumspect move by the Tigers. KC should become even more a KU city than it was before. We should be able to recruit Texas better (at Mizzou's expense) now that we play 3 Texas schools to Mizzou's 1. It was the Tigers that chose money over tradition. A&M has a motto "Tradition and Loyalty," LOL I don't see Texas scheduling A&M, and I don't see us scheduling Missouri. Why throw them a lifeline? Why give them a connection to a history they are so willing to throw away? If? And I do mean if? We were ever offered a bowl game against the Tigers in the distant future, I would reject that offer and take a lesser bowl instead.

Eric Dawson 10 years, 6 months ago

Since TCU "replaced" (and I use that word loosely, hence the "") A&M, KU will be playing 4 Texas schools to mOO's 1.

xanto 10 years, 6 months ago

These AAU comments are certainly tiresome. Do you people imply that the Ivy League is the best football conference because of their academic credentials? Has the SEC not won 5 straight National Titles in football with only 2 AAU schools?

cejardon 10 years, 6 months ago

It is so tiresome to think that universities might possibly be engaged in education and research rather than entertainment for alumni. Personally, if a grandchild had the opportunity to attend any Ivy League university, I would support him or her in doing so rather than any Big 12-2 university, including my favorite KU. SEC schools have chosen to emulate more closely the NFL rather than the Ivy League. I suspect Cam Newton's father had precedents in mind when he approached the university with his offer of play for pay. I have attended KU football games since 1946 but only one this year. College football has changed - and not for the better.

squawkhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Agree. Realignment is about sports (football in-particular), not about academics. The AAU flag is what is thrown out there when there is nothing else to throw.

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

I am not concerned about the MU move. In fact, I am kind of glad that their departure takes a lot of hate along with it. Let's look forward to the future.

On another note, Gill's survival depends on how the team finishes. From our performances thus far, it looks like we will be blown out by our next three opponents. If so, Zenger will be hard pressed to find a new coach with a defensive background.

cojayhawk99 10 years, 6 months ago

I can see never playing MU outside of Lawrence again. Basketball, as Bill Self said, isn't hurting to schedule opponents at AFH but football could use the publicity and rivalry to keep fans in the seat. It shouldn't be in KC but in Lawrence so the local businesses can reap the rewards as well. Waiting a few years for the silly hatred to calm down and then starting up a yearly series in football may be a benefit.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

It doesn't matter what current coaches or administrators say.....KU and Mizzou will renew the rivalry eventually. It might take a decade, who knows...but there's going to be turnover, and an eventual idea to bring the rivalry back to Arrowhead.

Think about it.....an SEC-Big XII showdown between historic rivals isn't just going to go away no matter what KU's current people say.

I think we should keep the rivalry because them leaving makes me want to beat them even more. I think KU looks petty by responding this way.

When I started at KU, the Chancellor was Hemenway, AD was Frederick, B-ball coach Roy Williams and Football coach Terry Allen. That was only 11 years ago or so, so Gray-Little, Zenger, Self and Gill could all likely be other places 11 years from now too.....

Ken Tomberlin 10 years, 6 months ago

Did anyone else wonder how Baylor could be 5-3 overall and 2-6 in the Big 12?

boknowssports 10 years, 6 months ago

I think baylor is 5-3 overall and 2-3 in conference.

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

Hmm, not so sure about that Milwaukee. From my perspective I can't see the rivalry continuing and I say that without any ill feelings towards Missouri. It's just not the same. Oklahoma doesn't play Nebraska and Penn State doesn't play Pitt. No reason they can’t play one another but they don’t. The only reason to play them would be for a big paycheck and since conference realignment has been motivated by greed, one cannot rule out that possibility. The football part has been very competitive but the basketball side has been very lopsided, albeit painfully lopsided for Missouri fans. For all we know they don’t want to play us either.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

I know the rivalry will never be the same.....in-conference bragging rights are a great motivator.

But plenty of schools still have out of conference rivalries......mizzou-illinois, florida-fsu, Iowa-ISU, Georgia-GT, clemson-south carolina, pitt-wvu, notre dame-usc....etc.

Kansas City will be forever full of KU & MU alums, and I can see both fanbases yearning for a showdown again if the teams don't play for years.

OU & NU don't share a geographic area, so I can see why that one fizzled for now. And Pitt-Penn State is being revived in 2016-17 because of similar pressures from locals I believe.

You could be totally right. I have no ill will towards Mizzou leaving, but would guess cooler heads will prevail and the teams will meet back up.

I'd much rather have Mizzou at Arrowhead early in the season than West Tennessee Tech or some crappy school. Would be exciting and a financial windfall for both schools.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Missouri and Illinois didn't play this year in football and don't have them scheduled for the next 4 years either so that game is dead in football. Iowa and Iowa St. didn't play for 35 years during the middle 1/3 of the 20th century. Pitt-WVU is a conference game and has been since 1991 and both were independents for a little more than 20 years before that.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Did anybody hope that this was a story about Turner Gill's departure?

hawksince51 10 years, 6 months ago

It has probably been stated before, but the reality is that KU will already have 9 games against major colleges. It makes no sense to schedule MU instead of a minor college where we have a chance for an easy win. Anything to help get to that magic 6 wins for bowl purposes.

flyingfinn 10 years, 6 months ago

Totally agree, especially until we can find a coach that can make us competetive in football again! And as far as basketball is concerned the only reason Mizzery wants to keep the rivalry going is money, as it is the only time they fill their basketball arena when they play KU.

Kay Jensen 10 years, 6 months ago

I think if ku beats mizzou in their last game of the year, gill keeps his job. Also, I do feel scorned by mizzou's move, but give it 5 years or so and I guarantee we'll be playing them again...probably in kc.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

You might be right. Texas and Arkansas took a break when Arkansas left the SWC, but the game eventually resurfaced.

Seth Nesmith 10 years, 6 months ago

Screw fizzou! Good riddens! I could care less if we ever see those backstabbin' confederate wannabes ever again! Nothin' good from missouri, nothin'!

hawgsfan 10 years, 6 months ago

This guy made a great point ... KU's acting like a "scorned girlfriend." http://bit.ly/uEOgaA

coolhand357 10 years, 6 months ago

And eloquently written by a complete mzOO homer, like you. Why are you on this site? To agitate? Typical behavior of a woman scorned.

hawgsfan 10 years, 6 months ago

@coolhand357 Notice my screen name ... Hawgsfan ... That's for the University of Arkansas Razorbacks ... Where unlike Kansas, they know how to play football. You guys just don't get it one damn bit. We've seen what Texas can do to an entire conference which is why we said adios to the Southwest Conference back in the 90's. Texas and Oklahoma owns KU's ass right now. God bless Missouri for having the balls to stand up to Texas and Oklahoma and telling them to stick it. Why do you think that Nebraska, Colorado and A&M left the conference too? Rather than you all being pissed off at Missouri, you should be channeling that energy towards your athletic director and chancellor. THEY are the ones that have you in the situation that you're currently in. Your football program's a damn joke and it has been for 20+ years with the exception of Mangino's run in 2007 and you guys fired him for Turner Gill?!? That's right KU fans, keep on blaming Missouri for all of your problems and when the Big 12 falls apart, your AD and Chancellor will be on the horn calling your enemies in Columbia looking for a spot in the SEC.

coolhand357 10 years, 6 months ago

Three words for MzOO. Champions of Nothing.

ltownatrain 10 years, 6 months ago

Ok I feel this needs to be said here but Hey Hawgsfan and other Mizwho homers on here.....If you all are so superior then why on earth do you have to come on KU message boards to prove it. It seems to me that you all are just a bunch of insecure punks who don't know when to stop running your mouths. Why don't all the non KU fans do us a favor and go to a site that is actually about your teams and talk your nonsense there. And if you all are so superior then rather than talking sh#* on message boards why don't you go stand in the middle of Jayhawk boulevard between classes and run your mouths when you can't hide and show us just how "superior" you are. If you can't do that then just go WE WE WE all the way home and shut up.