Monday, November 7, 2011

Kansas loses bowl carrot

Kansas head coach Turner Gill bemoans a missed field goal during the second quarter on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011 at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa.

Saturday’s 13-10 loss to Iowa State made it impossible for the Kansas University football team to become bowl-eligible this season by earning at least six victories.

That harsh reality made KU’s seventh straight loss a little tougher to handle.

“Obviously, that was our big goal for the year,” sophomore quarterback Jordan Webb said of receiving a bowl bid. “But we have a chance to ultimately win November. We’re gonna come out and just take it one game at a time. That’s all you can do at this point in the season. Not all is lost.”

For the first time in weeks, the Jayhawks were within striking distance late in the fourth quarter and actually had a chance to put together a drive to win. They came up short, but KU coach Turner Gill said he sensed an extra dose of excitement on the sideline in final few minutes.

“I think guys were in tune throughout the football game,” Gill said. “I think that’s what happens when you have a close game throughout. But I think our guys have always stayed in tune. They’ve always competed even though the score may have been one way or the other. And they kept on believing that we were gonna get the job done.”

Junior co-captain Toben Opurum said he didn’t notice much difference in the way he and his teammates competed just because the game was close.

“We could be down by three points or we could be down by 20 points, and I’m gonna give the same effort that I give regardless of the score,” Opurum said. “And I think that speaks for the rest of the team.”

Even as the losses began to pile up and the season began to head south, the Jayhawks pointed to their overall goals still being attainable and continued to push forward with a positive attitude. Now that one goal — a bowl berth — must be struck from the list, it will be interesting to see how the team responds with three games to play. Gill said he expected the same kind of effort.

“I guess time will tell,” he said. “We’ve got three games left to try to finish strong and finish things on a positive note.”

Running game returns

Led by a career-high 70 yards from freshman Darrian Miller, the KU running game delivered its best performance in five games. KU’s 174 yards rushing were the most since the opening game of Big 12 play, when the Jayhawks ran for 249 yards in a 45-34 loss to Texas Tech.

“I’m definitely happy we got back into our groove,” Miller said. “The backs were making plays and all of us were feeding off of each other. It’s put us in a good direction for the following weeks to keep on running hard.”

Miller received six more carries than sophomore starter James Sims, who lost a fumble midway through the loss.

“We’ve talked about trying to get a few more touches for Darrian Miller,” Gill said. “James has been a very good back. I wouldn’t say he’s a fumbler. It’s unfortunate that happened. But he’s a good football player, and he’s still gonna be a major factor in the rest of our football season.”

Gill said Miller’s ability to run in traffic was what inspired the coaching staff to find more carries for him.

“Both of them have been productive,” Gill said. “But Miller may have been a little more productive as far as contact made on him. He’s actually made the most yards after contact. But they’re both gonna continue to be used.”

Comments

manginorh00lz 10 years, 6 months ago

Suck for Leach.*

*Insert your favorite candidate here.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

LOL..I kinda think Leach would do well here. Nutt would be on a lot of peoples list.

johnnyhrdwd 10 years, 6 months ago

Zenger, strap on a pirate hat and tell the media that Tech had no problem with Bobby Knight so we got no problem with Mike Leach.

Shawn Otrimble 10 years, 6 months ago

If Gill doesn't beat Mizzou, He needs fired and we need Leach before another school picks him up!

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 6 months ago

One thing all you Leach lovers need to ask yourselves, 'Why hasn't any other school hired him?'

Kirk 10 years, 6 months ago

He needs to sort out his legal issues first. (Is he even on the market now?)

I guess you're insinuating that no good schools want him to coach their football programs.

I'd venture you're wrong about that, and just need to wait. It's all about timing.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

Final 2 for a job? Turner Gill was in the final 2 for both the NU job and the Auburn job, but the Gill haters on this site would certainly never use that as ammunition for him being hired. There might be more to him not getting hired than you want to admit. Like maybe parents don't want their kids playing for a guy with his rep, be it right or wrong.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

And how does that fact that I could clearly read your post make it so hard for you to understand what I'm saying? You seem to be saying Leach is acceptable because he's on a short list, and I'm saying so was Gill. Is that clear enough for you?

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

Kirk answers this question well and maybe he likes the gig at CBS.

Maracas 10 years, 6 months ago

Kansas lost the bowl carrot when it hired Turner Gill.

Ceee 10 years, 6 months ago

Kansas loses bowl carrot. Sam Brownback won't be the Democratic nominee for President. Colorado won't be snow free in December.

Tell me something I couldn't figure out for myself.

Dee Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

When I read this headline I about fell out of my chair. Are you kidding me. KU is not bowl eligible. Gee thats a surprise. You tell me one KU fan that was preparing for a bowl game. What a disgrace to the bowl system. Just think about that. As bad as KU is this year, they just realized that they are not bowl eligible. WOW.

gojhawx 10 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't agree more. I actually laughed when I read the headline. I think it should've read "Kansas loses bowl carrot...ya think?" I am so looking forward to a new coach, and hell, I just want a competitive team that goes bowling every couple of years!

Timothy Grillot 10 years, 6 months ago

lol are kidding me with an S? lol I coulda written this article. However, the best repsonse was we lost the bowl carat when we hired TG

leonard 10 years, 6 months ago

"That harsh reality made KU’s seventh straight loss a little tougher to handle."

Are you kiddin' me? Somebody call Nurse Ratched.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Well - shoot.

Guess I'll have to cancel my flights, hotel and restaurant reservations. Tell the boss I won't need to take those vacation days after all................

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Thought we were building a dynasty? You know, recruit, win games, recruit, play for big 12 championships, recruit, play in BCS bowls, recruit, recruit, recruit.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 6 months ago

And "beat Missouri". He'd better come through on that one. It's all he's got left.

Displayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Asked on another article what you guys would think about hiring Dave Doeren. He is a Kansas guy, was on the staff of HC Mark Mangino, so he knows about turning a program around, and he is an excellent recruiter. Not as glamorous as Mike Leach perhaps, but not as controversial either.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! Hire one of the only coaches gill beat.

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 6 months ago

Leach is a jack@ss. That's why he's not coaching right now.

Jayhawkintexas1973 10 years, 6 months ago

Matt,

Are you kidding me? Kansas never had a chance for a Bowl game, but could have had if Turner Gill had done his job, which is to be coach.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Please, please ,please tell me for all that is journalistically valid, this article is a not-so-subtle, slap in the face piece of sarcasm directed at all guilty parties of Kansas football.

If it is not , then we have found signs of intelligence dumber than the Kardashians!!!!

kureader 10 years, 6 months ago

"Kansas loses bowl carrot"

My theory, Oakville, is that Keegan made Tait do it. Tait's a good guy and a very good writer, and he's above kicking a team that's down.

JohnEdwards70 10 years, 6 months ago

Reporters don't write headlines. Copy editors do.

capnwacky 10 years, 6 months ago

We're not going to a bowl game?!? Well, so much for the suspense of not knowing.

Kirk 10 years, 6 months ago

No bowl game, but we are enjoying massive improvement.

Huge moral victory -- only a 3 point loss on the road. I think everyone's happy now.

Right?

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I feel bad for Gill because he trule is a nice guy. However, he has lost any credibility as a D1 college football coach these last two seasons. We have seen a sub-par program decline these last two seasons and it looks as if we are only going to get worse under this coaching staff.

Mike Leach would be a great hire. Don't kid yourselves. Make it happen, Z.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Biggest question with him is recruiting. He has a negative reputation, how many players would transfer? how many would we lose on recruiting. And of course, it works the other way. Its a risk. I'm not against it but im not for it.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

We got three games left. There was some good things that did occur. We just gotta keep improving and continue to get better. November is a new month from that standpoint. I'm not gonna sit here and say we're executing on some things but we need to take a look at all of those things from that standpoint, there, and just keep going to WORK. We just gotta improve as far as having guys step up and make plays and things of that nature. So we just gotta get BETTER on some things and have some positive things happen on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball and special teams. Basically we can't just turn the ball over and we gotta continue to compete.

boknowssports 10 years, 6 months ago

I think Tait was being sarcastic. I mean I hope to heck he knew this team never had a shot at a bowl. When you can't win a conference game, how can anyone remotely think a bowl is possible. Now that the October curse is over and we are into the November curse, what will Gill point to next???

flyingfinn 10 years, 6 months ago

We need to get over the Gill curse.....PLEEEEEEEEASE get rid of him

cool_beans 10 years, 6 months ago

i don't get why you guys like mike leach so much, he's a huge d-bag

kc_wildfire 10 years, 6 months ago

He is a d-bag that people think can win football games and unfortunately that is all some people care about.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

You and I agree on something very important, and disagree on a significant issue as well. What we agree on is that a lot of people appear to like Mike Leach. I am surprised as you are, given the avalanche of negative press Mark Mangino got. Many people here seem to be down on Mangino, so I find it decidedly incongruent that they should be advocating for Leach. But this is really a social commentary on how easily people are swayed. Negative news about Mangino's temper? Sacrifice your wins and bring in the anti-Mangino (Gill). Negative news about Gill's losses? Sacrifice your principles and bring in someone with a temper. It's a treadwheel of insanity. Despite this, the fan reaction underscores something that is plainly obvious: Gill is not a coach who has it in him to produce wins.

What we disagree on is whether or not a football coach need be a guy so clean you could eat off his chest. I don't think so. As long as he doesn't involve the program in a bunch of recruiting violations, I prefer that a football coach be a little angry, have a little fire, and be of marginally questionable character. In football you need an edge. Those who have never played the game don't understand this. When you're on the field it's like a war, the players are the warriors, and soft warriors will lose. If you can't stand being grabbed by the collar, then you can't handle being hit by a huge middle linebacker with you in his crosshairs. If you can't stand an angry verbal tirade then you're going to cry when an opposing player starts taunting you. Teams that are mentally defeated and whose wills are easily broken become prey on the field. It's that simple. Players like that should be weeded out. My God, there are girls that make it through military basic training and don't come out sniffing about it. For cryin' out loud!

cool_beans 10 years, 6 months ago

i do agree that the players do need someone that will light a fire under the players butt to get them to play better, because we both know that Gill is not doing that.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Where you are wrong is that those of us pushing for Leach are more than likely those who hated to see MM get fired. I am one of those people. MM was a great coach for this school. The witch hunt succeeded and look where it's got us.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't like the term witch hunt because it leads us to believe there was nothing behind it. I think there was something there. Esp since none of the players really came out and put it to rest.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Was there anything? I heard some negative comments and some kicking a chair out from someone...oh and the dreaded poke the finger in the chest, but really..it was closer to a witch hunt than anything.

But if you want to talk about a witch hunt it was against Leach. Leach was fired 24 hours before a $2MM bonus kicked in. And he did exactly what Florida did with Tebow, the difference Tebow was for the betterment of him and James was damaging his ego.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

If I'm not mistaken the comments were kinda messed up, something that would get anyone fired. But you right about Leach, I have friend who go to tech and that shed James claimed to be locked in, was a decent building.

gojhawx 10 years, 6 months ago

Exciting style of scoring football - a style that can turn the program around in a hurry - and in a short amount of time make us at least a little bit relevant.

cool_beans 10 years, 6 months ago

i want a coach that isn't just all offense. i want one that shows just as much passion on the defensive side because that's what i think the big 12 doesn't have. maybe it's because the high power offenses that make the defenses look bad or maybe it's the fact i like defense more than offense.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

I betcha you like the LSU/alabama game where they learned how to kick 2 field goals. Let's be honest the KSU/OSU football game was 10x more exciting and they have an earthquake to prove it. The offenses looked horrible and I think it was the offenses were that bad in that game.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

Offense looks sexy, but defense wins the girl.

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 6 months ago

Thank you, beans. I'm glad I'm not the only who sees Leach for what he is!

JayhawkGrad05 10 years, 6 months ago

Not sure why everyone is getting on Matt for this article. He's just stating the facts of the situation, which is his job. We all knew a bowl was very, very, very unlikely, but if a team believed that about themselves and their talent, that obviously wouldn't be a good thing. Now that Gill can't use that "as a carrot" to hang in front of the team, it will be interesting to see if the effort drops off even further, now that they officially cannot get to a bowl game. If player effort falls off in a very noticeable way, Gill will have officially lost the team, and there will be no way he could possibly be given another year, which is what everyone wants anyways. I'd like to give him another year with new coordinators, a QB that can run his system, and more of his own players, but we've fallen so far, I don't think that's possible.

FightnMangino64 10 years, 6 months ago

Giving Gill another year with new coordinators is the absolute worst idea I have heard on this forum. New coordinators will bring a new system with them. So you will be erasing all the (minor) progress on offense and starting over on defense for the third time. If he stays they need to stay so that the players will have some consistency in the schemes. The players need to play instead of think, and a new system will have them thinking about what they are supposed to be doing instead of knowing it and just playing ball. I say that if Z cant or wont can him then leave the staff as it is.

JayhawkGrad05 10 years, 6 months ago

So, you're saying that if we weren't able to get rid of him, you'd like to keep the same coordinators that couldn't show even the least bit of progress over an entire season (two for offense), rather than get some new assistants? That, my friend, would be the absolute worst idea one would see on this forum. Sorry. A head coach is only as good as his assistant coaches, so at the least, new assistant coaches might bring progress if we had to keep him another year.

boknowssports 10 years, 6 months ago

I see no improvement in this team from last year. It appears we are on course to finish with a worse record, not win a single conference game. We are ranked 120th out of 120 FBS teams on defense and now have slipped to 90th on offense. I think the best Gills style of coaching could get next year is another 3-9.

jmsuther 10 years, 6 months ago

Why is no one talking about levitt. I think that he would be the better hire. Plus he isn't a freaking weirdo like leach

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

This just in... BREAKING NEWS:

KUs carrot for a bowl next season has just joined the witness relocation program.

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

More breaking news:

The carrots identity has been leaked through several media outlets and confrimed by numerous sources. The carrot has assumed the identity of a cucumber and now works with Samantha Ryan at a discreet location in Los Angeles.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Bring back Mangino. Really???

Hire Mike Leach. Really???

Leach would never come in after Mangino left, they weren't friends when they were on the OU staff together, and Stoops would make them share a room just to try.

Leach won games with a high flying circus act that could never win big games against solid teams. Sure he may have gotten a win or two over OU and Texas was only 5 and 4 in second tier bowl games and was passed over by Washington, Auburn, Maryland, Miami and Minnesota for other coaches.

There are better coaches out there that would not try and make KU a coming back party and a stepping stone.

Should they not fire Gill on the 27th of this month, I am sure that he will have to replace a lot of his coaching staff and make some huge changes and he will have one more year.

Remember those red kettles outside of Lowes are for the Salvation Army not the "fire Gill" fund. Just a heads up.

kubball99 10 years, 6 months ago

Excellent post.

This leads right into what I was going to post. "They need to go out and find a young coordinator and make him a head coach and let him build the program. There are guys out there that don't have legal issues, or moral issues too."

I've seen it mentioned before, but if KU was going to make a push for someone, I would like to see them go after Brent Venables from OU. While I have my doubts as to whether he would come to KU, he has ties to Kansas (from Salina) and went to school at K-State. He might be next in line after Snyder decides to call it quits, but the Snyder coaching tree is vast and has historically been very successful. Venables has the experience and has a defensive background. He's been successfu at OU and knows what big time football looks like.

While there are certainly more experienced head coaches out there, I would like to see KU hire a coordinator from a high level program and let them build from there. Easier said than done, I know.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Really that wasn't a great post.

I think Mark Mangino was an up and coming OC and look what we did to him...ran him out of town.

Every MAC coach has been horrible.

If we are paying in the top 20 of coaches, than we can have a Top 20 coach come in.

$2MM a year was more than what leach was making at TTU and I think he would love the payback.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

I guess you missed the TTU pass to Crabtree to beat Texas to cause a 3 way tie in the Big XII South...Oh that's right, that probably wasn't such a big game after all.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Uh re-read I said they beat OU and TX on occasion. But winning once over them doesn't mean you are great coach. Mack brown won a NC thanks to Vince Young and other talent. Same for the Crabtree catch, he was a phenom at WR and made a lot of great plays that carried TT to wins.

Leach isn't a terrible coach but he's not a great coach either. Plus he's a huge PR nightmare.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

If the only time you give is during red kettle time, you've got issues. Try giving year round and it will actually make you feel better.

That comment from you actually made me more upset than any comment on here in a long time.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

That comment was meant with no malice.

I ran a 5k for donations that went to the Salvation Army two weeks ago.

I also volunteer at my kids school twice. Month and every Sunday at my church.

So I give a lot more than just this time a year for your personal information

Your assumptions of me were very offensive as well.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

Leach was 84–43 at Texas Tech..went to a Bowl game every season winning 5. And that's not good enough?

Geekinout 10 years, 6 months ago

Mangino was the stepping stone (boulder for that matter) that the KUAD didn't capitalize on when they were looking for a new coach. Instead they went the complete wrong direction. I will give Gill credit for keeping a positive attitude, but he is not the answer for KU Football.

Gill should've been what Danny Manning and/or Barry HInson is to KU Basketball. He's a great person with solid morals, but as a head coach with an unproven track record, in over his head. He was simply a person who was best qualified to cover up one of the biggest 'black-eyes' the KUAD has had to deal with in my life time.

The KUAD is the real reason why KU sports, with the exception to basketball, has ranked at the bottom for so long. That is prior to the Lew Perkins fiasco also, they keep making bad decision after bad decision.

squawkhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

ATTENTION ALL MIKE LEACH LOVERS:

It's not going to happen so get over it and move on to someone else. Leach would never come to KU because he knows he'd never have the success at KU as he could have just about anywhere else. At least at Texas Tech he had access to a ton of Texas kids. If he came to KU he couldn't begin to have the same recruiting success as he had in Texas. My guess is Leach is destined for Ole Miss or another SEC or ACC school where the recruiting grounds are much more fertile and the football much more of a priority.

arizonahawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Not sure I completely agree. Leach has developed super star QB's and offenses everywhere he's coached. Oh, and the Texas kids were kids that did not get schollies from UT, A&M and OU.

Leach is an offensive genius and if he would agree to a meeting, I think it would be time well spent.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

Mangino showed it can be done.. He led Kansas to a BCS Bowl victory at the Orange Bowl...Something Leach never accomplished at Texas Tech.

I think you are right about him not coming here but a good HC can get the job done at almost any school. Snyder proved that at Kansas State..twice.

I think the reason would be our Athletic Dept. I think at the moment it rates near the bottom of the Big 12. We aren't competitive in any other sports other than Men's Basketball.

Obviously this is just an opinion but what harm would come if we quietly asked if there was any interest?

JayhawkGrad05 10 years, 6 months ago

At this point, I'm thinking we'll be real lucky to hold them that low...

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Baylors defense is horrid, they probably put up 60 but we put up over 30.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Iowa State's defense isn't much better than Baylor's defense and KU still managed only 300 yards and 10 points against them. KU will have about 350 yards and about 20 points against Baylor.

misfire 10 years, 6 months ago

Somebody please tell me why Leach would be better than Mangino????? Would MM come back if he was offered the job????

JayhawkGrad05 10 years, 6 months ago

He probably wouldn't be...and I doubt it to Mangino coming back, even if we begged.

misfire 10 years, 6 months ago

If TG is fired, he will leave KU a rich man, just like Mangino did.

JayhawkGrad05 10 years, 6 months ago

And we can thank big Lew and the KU Athletic Department for both bone-headed decisions... Hopefully SZ puts a little more thought into his decisions than Lew did....

FightnMangino64 10 years, 6 months ago

He is already a rich man. So whats your point? We need to move on to someone who can produce results not just talk a good game.

supersonicf111 10 years, 6 months ago

How the hell could have the writer of this article kept a straight face when he gave it to the editor? I laughed like hell after reading the first sentence!

cool_beans 10 years, 6 months ago

Houston Nutt or Mike Stoops for d-coordinator

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Just 1 reason not to hire Houston Nutt: From espn.com The Rebels have lost 12 consecutive Southeastern Conference games, including Saturday's 30-13 loss to Kentucky. Mississippi is 2-7 this year, including 0-6 in the SEC. Nutt is 24-23 in his four years in Oxford.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

as a head coach, might not be a bad defensive cord.

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Houston Nutt's background is offense, not defense.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

And can we stop asking for coaches that have been at OU? Mangino, Leach, Stoops, Mike and or Mark, Venables and Long is already on the sideline.

Perhaps trying to get someone that is not affiliated with Bob Stoops or the Kstate program would be a could start. We don't need a curse of Bill Snyder in our program.

Kirby Smart, O cord. Alabama Major Applewhite, co O cord. Texas Pete Kwiatkowski, D cord. Boise St. of course since we can't pronounce his name that might be a negative. Paul Chryst, O cord. Wisconsin, cause that could be a lot of fun yelling, "for the love of Chryst." when they do something stupid. Frank Wilson RB coach/recruiting cord LSU Steve Kragthorpe QB coach LSU

David Atchley 10 years, 6 months ago

Great effort on your list....particularly like the Kirby Smart and Major Applewhite suggestions. Major was the OC at Alabama with Saban, and prior to that the OC at Rice, before coming back to UT. He was instrumental, if not solely responsible for UT holding together their recruiting class last season, amidst all of their turmoil. Will Muschamp wanted Applewhite to follow him to Florida, but UT bumped his salary and gave him the "Co-OC" title shared with "Bryan Harsin."

Its evident that Harsin is making the lion's share of decisions on the offense and Major Applewhite is a legend in Texas and has tremendous influence in the Texas High Schools and I perceive he's "ripe for the pickin" and ready to command his own program.

The other OC to add to your list is "Chad Morris" at Clemson. State Titles in Texas High School Football, Turned Tulsa around in 1 year to the point he was hired away by Clemson and has put them on the map in a short time."

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Kirby Smart is the DC, not OC at Alabama and he will be the next coach at Georgia the next time Mark Ritch has a down season.

Major Applewhite isn't leaving Texas. He will be the next head coach there when Mack Brown finally retires.

Pete Kwiatkowski is a BSU alum and won't leave for KU

Paul Chryst, I thought you didn't want anybody from the Bill Snyder tree. Bill Snyder --> Bret Beilema --> Paul Chryst

Frank Wilson, how about someone who's at least been a coordinator at any level before becoming a head coach. This would be a bigger disaster than Gill.

Steve Kragthorpe has Parkinson's so no.

How about some realistic options next time.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

OK who you got on your list?

Everyone one here says fire Gill, but I never see anyone's opinions on coaches. Oh wait Mangino or Leach, that's right.

I might not have a great list but I offered up a few. Why can't anyone else?

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps you should go find a post regarding my opinions of Mangino (overrated) and Leach (no defense) and see if I'm one of the people that's been begging for KU to bring either of them to KU. I've said multiple times on various websites who my candidates would be. Frank Solich, Larry Fedora, Bud Foster, Pat Narduzzi, Chuck Heater, Gus Malzahn, Justin Fuente, Craig Bohl, Mark Farley are all names that I have dropped on various websites as potentially good head coaches for KU. Frank Solich is probably too old though to be a serious candidate unless KU is looking for someone to take over for 5-8 years to lay a foundation and Bud Foster is probably going to be Frank Beamer's successor. Everyone else is either a highly successful coordinator at good schools or a very successful head coach at the FCS level and in the case of Mark Farley, was an assistant at KU before getting his current job.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Bohol has a history of issues with co-eds. One of the reasons Solich got rid of him at NU. That and his D at NU was terrible.

I do like seeing lots of names, and if Foster hasn't left Beemer yet I doubt he ever will. He has been mentioned for some big schools but barely interviews. That's from a friend who is a huge Hookie fan.

Surprised no one has tossed out Charlie Weiss? No I don't want him but some people's choices. Lol

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 6 months ago

I think Snyder, not Stoops, is the common denominator... But Stoops has definitely expanded the coaching tree.

coolhand357 10 years, 6 months ago

Houston Nutt just got FIRED by Mississippi.

David Atchley 10 years, 6 months ago

The Kansas apologists are quick to say that Kansas is a "basketball school" whenever any adversity hits the football program. Kansas football is rich in tradition, dating back to John Starr in the early 1900s, to Gale Sayers, David Jaynes, Nolan Cromwell all the way to Todd Reesing.

The argument of being a 1 sport school is antiquated and if anything, in today's realignment climate, injures any voice Kansas would have in negotiation. Its important to have strength in Basketball and Baseball at every University. Those are sports that matter in the South, Southeast, and Southwest. Just look at the amount of Final 8s and baseball championships in the Southeast and Texas over the past 10 years.

Of course they don't matter as much as Football, nothing does. However, Texas, LSU, Baylor, Alabama, Florida, OU, OSU, all perceive they have a very competitive basketball and football program.

The history of Kansas basketball is iconic and respected by any sports fan. However, its imperative Kansas have a football program that is supported from the Kansas State Government, to a Sports Appreciative/Minded President all the way down to an Athletic Director and Head Coach that are the very best in College Sports.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

With all this talk of carrots for bowl games...mangino will never come back!

arizonahawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Best Headline Ever brought to you by Captain Obvious. Who out of curiosity was planning on a Bowl game when we've won 2 non-conference games and 0 conference games?

So, you're saying we've been mathematically eliminated? We do not control our own destiny? More cliches?

Jayhawkintexas1973 10 years, 6 months ago

Houston Nutt out at Ole Miss. Tip to Zenger, this is not the guy you want to replace Gill. But, he might have some staff, say an OC or a DC that could be a good fit at Kansas? Just saying.

Jayhawkintexas1973 10 years, 6 months ago

Baylor, 79 Kansas 0, unless Turner Gill gets abducted by an alien and programmed quickly on how to coach football players. I'm just not as bad as Posnanksi. Or I would pick Baylor 100 - 0 like he used to do with the Chiefs over the Raiders. Did I get his name right? I haven't read the KC Star in awhile.

gardenjay 10 years, 6 months ago

In an article full of hope and fighting spirit from the players, we have a KU Sports dot com debbie downer article title again.

middleoftheroader 10 years, 6 months ago

The countdown is on...Monday November 14,2011 Turner Gill is FIRED!!

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

I would go with the 27th, a Sunday. The Sunday after the mizzu game.

And that's only if they have the money to buy Gill out.

Another date to circle if they do fire Gill is Dec. 4th. the day after most teams last games of the season. Ido believe there are games the next week for conf. title games. That's when KU can start making moves to a hire new coach and or coaches.