Monday, March 14, 2011

Former KU AD Lew Perkins to serve as assistant on girls basketball team

Former Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins will be an assistant girls basketball coach at Seabury Academy next season, the Journal-World has learned.

Perkins will assist varsity girls coach Becky Bridson.

“When the opportunity came to accept Lew as an assistant for my girls program, it was a very easy decision for me,” Seabury athletic director Eric Nelson said. “He’s seen some good basketball, and he can help us get better.”

Perkins took over for Al Bohl as Kansas AD in 2003. Perkins announced his retirement on Sept. 7, 2010, with Sean Lester serving as interim AD for a few months. New Kansas AD Sheahon Zenger, previously of Illinois State, took over on Feb. 1.

Perkins’ daughter, Amy, served as admissions director at Seabury in 2007-2008.

Before Kansas, Perkins served as athletic director at Connecticut (1990-2003), Maryland (1987-1990), Wichita State (1983-1987) and South Carolina-Aiken (1969-1980).

“Lew’s a personality for sure,” Nelson said. “He’s a very nice guy. If my coaches don’t ask him for advice, they’d be crazy. He’s so genuine. My feeling is, if I have a coach who needs some advice with a kid, he’d be a great resource for our coaching staff.”

Nelson said the Seahawks players already have met Perkins and are excited to welcome him for next season.

Seabury Academy is a private high school in west Lawrence. The Seahawks participate in Kansas State High School Activities Association Class 1A athletic programs.

Comments

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 2 months ago

I guess I never heard of Seabury when I was at KU. Didn't know that Lawrence had this school... I guess reitrement must be tough for old Lew. Or maybe he just wants a job there so he can have access to the stationary bikes, stair climbers, and ellipticals...

Joel Hood 11 years, 2 months ago

Bishop Seabury is a private school located where the old Alvamar indoor tennis courts were at on Clinton Parkway. It probably did not exist when you were here - it has only been in operation within the past 5-10 years. It is a private school that most here in Larrytown cannot afford, or if you are great baller. Eric Nelson is hell bent on making the basketball program there a national power - think Oak Hill Midwest.

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 2 months ago

thanks for the 411 jjoel. It was probably such a new school during my three years at KU that it didn't get much talk.

A lot has changed in Lawrence in the past 4 years, it's a very fast-growing town. And I'm sure that the Seabury Academy is is a fast growing school as well, likely in terms of name recognition and reputation, and probably in enrollment as well.

And my jab at Mr. Perkins was not meant in spite. I am very grateful to him for the terrific things he did while at KU. He ran KU Athletics like a major corporation and the financial gains are a testament to his effective leadership.

However, as the CEO he is also responsible for fostering good ethics in the company culture, and for insuring appropriate controls and oversight so as to provide ample transperancy to eliminate even the appearance of suspicious activity.

That takes so much more than financial resources to do. It takes time to grow the entity the right way. Perhaps Lew Perkins' error was the he took KU Athletics too far, too fast?

Carter Patterson 11 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like a Win-Win to me. Congratulations Mr. Perkins.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 2 months ago

Are tix to their events in high demand???

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 2 months ago

notice the 16 years of big east and acc experience after he left the valley and before we hired him. Years our current clown is missing from his resume.

Great article about SZ essentially peeing down his leg at the big 12 tournament on cjonline.com. Would post the link but I'm using phone. Standby.

Phillbert 11 years, 2 months ago

I hope you do post the link to whatever article you read because the article in the Cap-J I read about SZ at the tournament doesn't say anything of the sort. (And if you could watch KU's first game of the tournament and not get a little nervous, you weren't a KU fan.)

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 2 months ago

" Zenger would wring his hands, adjust his tie or lean forward." must of edited out the urine part.

Point is the biggest sporting event he has been involved is the Missouri Valley basketball tournament. Yipee! He sounds more than qualified.

Carter Patterson 11 years, 2 months ago

AHolePerSe wakes up everyday with an agenda to bash everybody in the athletic department.

4everahawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Still cannot understand why he isn't leaving Lawrence........got to be some kind of personal agenda here.

Beate Williams 11 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like Seabury is looking to explode on the scene as a basketball power as indicated by one of the posters. Who better to get them moving in that direction than Lew. You may not like the guy, I'm one of those, but one has to admit he knows how to get things done in a big way.
His connections across the country could have a significant impact on moving Seabury in the direction they want to go. Should be interesting to see how this movie plays out.

monarchs20 11 years, 2 months ago

Why would he want to leave? He apparently likes Lawrence and living in the midwest.

lewstinks 11 years, 2 months ago

Apparently Seabury Academy places more value on "winning" than teaching ethics or right from wrong!

Jared Grillot 11 years, 2 months ago

AD at a Championship-level D1 School, to Assistant Girls High School BBall Coach at a 1-A private school? How bizarre. Bored, or something?

Carter Patterson 11 years, 2 months ago

Or how about simply staying busy during retirement.

Jared Grillot 11 years, 2 months ago

I suppose that would be similar to bored, as in to keep from being bored during retirement. Sure. Just seems an odd transition - very distant from each other, one might say. Didn't even know he knew anything in particular about coaching basketball.

yovoy 11 years, 2 months ago

Seabury offers "scholarships". I have a buddy whose kids go there. I also work with a lady whose kids go there. Seabury is trying to grow their program by attaching themselves to people/former players with pedigree. If you don't have a certain level of "name" they aren't overly interested in having you as a part of it.

They have some serious athletic talent coming in, or they are flirting with it at least.

They've added a BIG "name" to their game: perfect for them.