Originally published January 14, 2011 at 06:37p.m., updated January 15, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Beaty officially re-joins KU football as assistant

Former Kansas receivers coach David Beaty, right, will return to the KU coaching staff in 2011.

The man who once came to Kansas University to replace an outgoing wide-receivers coach has done it again.

KU football officials confirmed Friday that David Beaty, KU’s wide receivers coach from 2008-09, will rejoin the Jayhawks in 2011.

Beaty will coach KU’s receivers and hold the title of co-offensive coordinator.

“David has a great energy and a fantastic football mind,” KU coach Turner Gill said. “We are excited to have coach Beaty and his family back with the Jayhawk football program.”

Beaty’s return to Kansas continues a cycle between two schools over the past five years. Before coming to KU to replace Tim Beck in 2008, Beaty was the receivers coach at Rice. Last year, Beaty was Rice’s offensive coordinator.

Beaty, 40, comes to KU to replace Darrell Wyatt, who left Gill’s staff after one season to take a similar job at Texas.

Though many in the program were sad to see Wyatt go, Gill said bringing Beaty in to replace him was huge, particularly for recruiting.

“He has an excellent reputation in the state of Texas as a coach and recruiter, according to the high school coaches there,” Gill said.

Recruits stick with KU

Even though he’s no longer at Kansas, a couple of Darrell Wyatt’s top recruits said recently they’re planning to stay committed to Kansas.

“Coach (Chuck) Long (KU’s offensive coordinator) came and he watched me play basketball,” Mesquite, Texas, wide receiver Jacorey Shepherd told Rivals.com’s Jon Kirby last week. “I talked with him after the game and he was checking in to make sure everything was good. It was good to see them come right down and I know that coach Long and coach (Turner) Gill want me to be there.”

Shepherd, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound wideout from Horn High, is a three-star prospect and was one of Wyatt’s top recruits. So, too, was Dallas cornerback Kenneth Lynn, who just recently switched his commitment from Iowa State to Kansas.

Lynn also told Kirby he was still coming to KU, thanks in large part to a recent visit from cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy.

“Coach Shealy came in and said he wanted to make sure I knew that Kansas really wants me,” Lynn said. “My high school coaches told me things like this happen all the time. I got a call from Iowa State and they wanted me to know they are still interested in me. I’m still looking at being a Jayhawk.”

Both players have orally committed to Kansas and can sign their official letters of intent beginning Feb. 2.

Comments

DevilHawk 11 years, 10 months ago

It's official. Great news for the program.

100 11 years, 10 months ago

kesmithstl1 11 years, 10 months ago

hooray! Jayhawk receivers need some work. The offense needs some work. Hope this helps!

Stan Unruh 11 years, 10 months ago

Coach Gill needs some significant credit for this SUPER hire! Great move.

E_Jayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Perkins forced Gill to fire all Mangino's assistants. Beaty, Miller, Bowen, and Dawson all wanted to stay.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

My guess is that Gill laid the foundation for this a year ago. Part of the reason Lew hired him was b/c he had enough vision for continuing to develop the program that he essentially had a coaching staff in place when he interviewed, and in some cases in waiting for him to get a HC position. It would be really tough to do that with the assistants of the coach you're replacing. Yes, there are plenty of coaches that take over so that they can retain some of the existing staff, but that wasn't this situation.

Ibajayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

I don't think that Gill should get any of the credit for this hire, the new AD should get the credit for trying to right the sinking ship. Coach Beaty will for sure do a better job with the wideouts and te's, if all he does is get them to run their routes and not cut them short like they were doing last year except for two of the young ones. (and I don't mean dj )

rastameta 11 years, 10 months ago

The new AD played not part in this. It was 100% Gill.

ohjayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Especially considering the new AD doesn't even start his new job until Feb. 1.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 10 months ago

Beaty please leave your cussing, ability to hold players accountable, and excitable sideline behavior in Houston. -TG

number1jayhawker 11 years, 10 months ago

Beaty didn't cuss, so what's your point?

What do you want him to do, run around waving a towel like the idiot from ksu does?

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 10 months ago

Ummmmmmmm, yes! I'll take anything compared to blank look, arms crossed, chuck mangione playing in his headphones. . .

Andy Tweedy 11 years, 10 months ago

Chuck Mangione? Is their a stereotype of Mangione fans I'm not aware of?

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 10 months ago

there was a report (by me so you might want to check the fact a little better) that turner gill keeps his cool sideline demeamor by having chuck mangione pumped into his headphones. this report surfaces after a poster tried to beat me down but while doing so he incorrectly called our previous football coach "mangione" numerous time

Andy Tweedy 11 years, 10 months ago

I'm guessing even you would admit Gill knows more about football than Chuck Mangione...although maybe not!

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

Lots of co-OC's out there today, and wasn't Wyatt a co-OC last year?

bigtex 11 years, 10 months ago

Home run if we could get Ed Warinner back as Offensive Coordinator. Having back KU's most productive OC in the history of the university seems like a no brainer. That kind of hire would be huge for Gill and KU. It might save Gill's job down the road. I think Warinner would come back to KU if offered the OC job.

dtownhawkfan 11 years, 10 months ago

I don't think we can get that lucky, but yes that would be fantastic!

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

Good to get the recruit news also. Big month coming with a number of significant players still uncommitted.

Eric Williams 11 years, 10 months ago

Matt, did Gill address why he chose not to keep Beaty only to ask him back a year later? Was it strictly to purge all of Mangino's staff?