Thursday, January 6, 2011

KU hoops notebook

Videos

KU vs. UMKC

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated UMKC, 99-52 on Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 99-52 victory over UMKC on Jan. 5, 2011.

Download podcast

Technically speaking

Kansas junior Markieff Morris, who picked up a technical foul for jawing with a UMKC player with 16:02 left, did not play the rest of the game.

“You play each possession. You don’t play the score when you have a big lead. The message isn’t being heard because why would Markieff get a technical for running his mouth when/if he has heard the message and knew his value to the team,” coach Bill Self said. “He doesn’t get it. We have to keep stressing the message. Whatever we have to do physically or mentally, I’m prepared to do it. Unless those guys pull their heads out of their rear end, we’re going to have some problems.”

KU has had three players called for technical fouls, with one player ejection this season.

“It’s childish, immaturity,” Self said. “There will obviously be a pretty strong message moving forward in this particular situation. It needs to be strong. I love our guys, but I’m not happy with the immaturity level of a few of them. I think it reflects negatively on everyone else out there trying hard.”

Cryptic ‘good news’

Elijah Johnson said Self gave the team “some good news before the game and it just riled us up right before it was time to play.”

When pressed, Johnson wouldn’t reveal the good news, saying it was meant for the locker room only.

Recruiting

DeAndre Daniels, a 6-foot-8 senior forward from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., is expected to choose between KU, Kentucky and Texas today. Most recruiting analysts believe KU is the favorite. Daniels’ plan is to enroll in college and practice second semester, but not play in games until the 2011-12 season. He’s Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player nationally.

Robinson returns home

KU sophomore Thomas Robinson did not attend the game. He was in Washington, D.C., for his grandmother’s funeral.

Comments

topcityjayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Sorry TRob.... but good game fella's and keep up the good work! Most of you did a great job tonight and can't wait for conference play to start. We need to keep up the intensity and keep playing Great Defense. That is what is going to Win the National Championship! Defense Win's Championships! Offense can only take you so far!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk... Go KU!!!!

fansincewilt 11 years, 9 months ago

I think Markief was taking care of one of his teammates. There may be a better way of doing it but I think his motive was one of protecting a teammate. Marcus was covering for Selby when he grabbed the guy's shirt and got called for the intentional foul. Otherwise, the guy would have driven down and got a dunk. It seems to me that the twins have a protective instinct of their teammates. I believe it was Selby involved in a little fracas when Markief drew his technical. It might have been Johnson.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 9 months ago

Markief did not get a T for taking care of his teammate.

Markief did get a T and abandoned his teammates by mouthing off. And it's pathetic to see him sit on the bench with the immature, petulent, "gosh, why am I being picked on for doing nothing?" look. Very childish.

Gary McCullough 11 years, 9 months ago

I'm with you on this. The Morris boyz are letting the other team get in their heads. If you can't control your emotions the other coach is going to send a player in to take you out of your game with trash talking, pushing, and petty B.S. The Cal game is a perfect example. Marcus and Markief need to get their heads out of their collective a.... and back on their shoulders.

Ed Brown 11 years, 9 months ago

It really started after about the 4th or 5th game with both twins. They get angry and emotional over all calls against them and when they sit on the pine together, the camera is always showing them jawing about what they did and in an animated way showing why it wasn't a foul but a bad call against them. It carries from that point on. They don't hustle like they used to except in spurts. Marcus has lowered his game to Markief's but, unfortunately, Markeiff has also lowered his game. They both need to grow up and realize their role and importance to this team. It brings back memories of Marcus on the floor in OKC crying because he knew he blew it for the team with his lackluster performance. I know you won't like this comment but Morningstar puts forth more effort on a consistent basis than the twins...the twins are just light years ahead with talent and have the attitude that they are naturals and don't have to do what others have to do on the court. I would wager Marcus, the pre-season All American candidate won't be at the end of the season unless he unleashes some discipline during the Big 12 season and post-season. At his current level, he is maybe 3rd team or honorable mention. I can't remember a player with his talent performing at this level after this many games under Self or Roy.

NJHAWK 11 years, 9 months ago

Kieff should have kept his emotions in check. It does not matter if he was trying to protect Selby. I thought that he was not focused during the short period he was on the court. It was totally irresponsible of him to pick up two fouls in first four minutes of the game and third foul in the first half.

Kevin Studer 11 years, 9 months ago

Could the cryptic good news be the impending announcement today that Daniels is committing to KU? That would be nice.

Ben Kane 11 years, 9 months ago

I think the news is likely about DD. why else would he not be allowed to share. it only makes sense that he would have informed the coach last night if he is making his decision known today.

though it could be about ben mc. who knows?

clevelandjayhawker 11 years, 9 months ago

Maybe a 2 for 1 signing day.... and EJ is dreaming about his assist line for next year? or Everyone knows they will have to fight even more for playing time and are thus "riled up"

jhox 11 years, 9 months ago

With guys already struggling for playing time, I don't think they would be all that excited about 2 more top 25 guys coming in.

Still no news on Daniels though. That's a little worrisome. Hope he's not just one more in a long line of kids who tease us right up to the time of an announcment only to throw on some other teams cap.

vmwskywalk 11 years, 9 months ago

I doubt it has anything to do with Daniels. Mario Little looked awful upbeat before the game though.

Ashwin Rao 11 years, 9 months ago

Sorry to hear about TRob's death in the family. Thoughts & prayers to him and his family. Markief gets distracted too easily during the game and causes too many fouls. He needs to grow up quickly otherwise good teams will take advantage of that and he will be ineffective!

Philip Garver 11 years, 9 months ago

Did anyone notice Reed and Marcus getting into each others face at one point during the first half?

jchief40 11 years, 9 months ago

Yeah! Saw that. I don't think it was any big deal. Something tells me that no matter what was said Reed was probably talking more sense.

kesmithstl1 11 years, 9 months ago

Nice! But I'm married, and that only happens twice a month!

IA4jayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Instead of paying attention in class this morning, I clicked on your link thinking it would be a highlight video of Daniels. Everyone including my professor heard what is said in the video. It was classic. Great post!

bradh 11 years, 9 months ago

It was good to see the new AD. He comes across well. Bernadette confirmed with her interview what I'd wondered about with some of her moves in the athletic departnent, she doesn't know much about sports and could care less. She obviously cares about academics, which is her main job, though not her only one. It just made me glad we got someone who looks to be a good fit as AD with a non-sports person having the final say.

Bridgett Walthall 11 years, 9 months ago

I was just glad that someone told the new AD that Ousdahl is pronounced OZdale and not OOHsdale. I instantly like him better now.

Clarence Haynes 11 years, 9 months ago

My sense is that BGL just has a different way of portraying what she cares about and how she goes about in getting results! She is a serious and results priented person! Think about it, under her clock, she has had to hire a new Provost, a couple of new deans (Law School and B School), and an AD. Additionally, under her regime, KU among other things, has grown its endowment (in a tough economic environment) and has been successful in augmenting the level of research grants for the University. I'd rather see these results than BGL commenting on Sunday's "dunkathon" or running up and down Jayhawk Blvd with pom poms! She'll leave that for others.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 9 months ago

"Jeff Withey Relishes Chance to Start for Jayhawks"

"Roo Relishes Reunion"

Two article headings featuring "..relishes.." in two days, by two writers!

Somebody must have distributed a new Thesaurus to the staff for Christmas!

clevelandjayhawker 11 years, 9 months ago

I mustard have missed the headings, better ketchup on my old articles

KANSTUCKY 11 years, 9 months ago

You would think they could mayonaise to come up with better headings.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 9 months ago

I'm just "tickled" that things didn't get "chippy"

waywardJay 11 years, 9 months ago

otherwise they might have to DIP back into the thesaurus.

AsadZ 11 years, 9 months ago

I think Kieff should not start and come off the bench. I say this because;

1. His intensity level was much better coming off the bench
  2. It avoids him getting into early foul trouble.
  3. He seems to play better coming off the bench. It could be that he is getting to see the flow of the gane from the bench at the start

clevelandjayhawker 11 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkmike 11 years, 9 months ago

I just signed up for insider, 2 years for $25. Includes the magazine and insider stories on espn. Well worth it.

combes50 11 years, 9 months ago

Could the news be about Mario Little coming back from suspension?

Theutus 11 years, 9 months ago

I would be really happy to see this...

Clarence Haynes 11 years, 9 months ago

TRob....Bless you grandmother and I am sure that you will do well by her on the court, in classroom, and, in general, as an upstanding person of great character! We're behind you 100%!

COJHawk 11 years, 9 months ago

here's the insider article on tharpe...

The NBA game has long been known as a pick-and-roll game as ball-screen offense has dominated the playbooks of most of teams. More and more in recent years, college basketball has started to follow suit and for anyone, like myself, who enjoys watching the X's and O's as much as the individual talent, it seems this season that there are more teams relying on various types of ball-screen action than ever before. Paying attention to the trends of the college game is an important part of being able to evaluate prospects for that level. While the high school and prep school games I've seen thus far this year have featured an equally high number of ball-screens, one thing that has stood out to me is the few number of players who really understand how to operate within that action.

There are numerous intricacies that go into it but the two most common problems that I have seen thus far are guards who don't understand how to initially set-up their angle and then who utilize the screen simply as a mechanism to turn the corner and charge to the hoop with absolutely no concept of how to read the defense.

Probably the best ball-screen guard I have seen this year is Naadir Tharpe (Worcester, Mass./Brewster Academy). It's no coincidence that Tharpe has been coached by former Boston Celtics coach John Carroll on the AAU circuit for the last three plus years, but his ability to maneuver the ball screen is, I believe, one of his biggest assets as he prepares for a career at Kansas.

Tharpe always establishes the proper angle and consequently is able to get shoulder to shoulder with his screener or "reject" the screen when his defender jumps into that line. Once he gets to the screen, he comes off perfectly by turning the corner hard but changing his pace at just the right times so that he can read the defense, and his ability to read the defense is really what makes him so great in screen-roll as he sees the whole floor and exploits whatever rotation the defense makes, whether it's a quick pocket pass to his roll man, a pitch back to the person replacing him, or a drive and kick to a spaced out shooter. He is also very adept at splitting a hard hedge, a la Chris Paul.

Unfortunately, Tharpe has been more the exception than the rule based on what I have seen so far this year as there seems to be more and more ball-screens and less and less guards who know how to play it. And with more college teams starting to mirror the offensive concepts of NBA squads, it makes those guards who are able to play screen-roll all the more valuable.

Alohahawk 11 years, 9 months ago

I saw the same article headline about Tharpe and was very frustrated that a person had to be an Insider subscriber to read the entire writeup. It whitted my appetite because Tharpe is a future Jayhawk. Thanks COJHAWK for getting the full article to those of us yearning for more information about future signees.

I go to most of the recruiting websites (Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc.) to stay updated about future, and possible furture Jayhawks. However, unless a recruit is ranked in the top 20, it's hard to locate anything of value about a recruit's current performances. By the way, IMHO, Zagsblog.com has an excellent website, is usually spot-on with leading, up to the minute information. And doesn't charge for it!

Note: I realize the websites need subscriber money to stay afloat so I'm not cutting them down for charging. Without their services the fans would be completely in the dark as to a recruit's abilities, performances and desirability. It fills in the off season when there are no games to watch, and is like a tournament in itself because the coaches are doing the battling off the court for the rights to the best recruits. After all, where would us armchair quarterbacks be without all the information they supply?

Robert Brock 11 years, 9 months ago

Will the Twins be immature next season as college seniors or is there an outside possibility that they can step it up a little and become leaders? They are talented but cannot be trusted to use their brains at the present time (which must bug the heck out of Coach Self).

Greg Lux 11 years, 9 months ago

Brains? No one with 1/2 a brain would do what they have done lately... I am hoping they find theirs soon... I pray they do or its going to continue to hurt the team. They are a key part of this team and we all need them to get it together.

Rock Chalk

theajayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

I agree with readers who are not happy with some specific instances of the twins behavior. At the same time, let us remember that they have probably worked harder than anyone else through the summers and made sure they are in a position where they can make a difference. They were both ranked close to 40 coming out of high school and are probbaly among the very few from that level who are contributing at a level they are. They have shown they are committed to improving, and they have given the team a great lift this year. We have all sang their praises in these regards. Let us also give them credit for the splendid job they have done improving themselves and for all their hard work.

Go twins!

Michael Pannacciulli 11 years, 9 months ago

Leave the coaching and 'kieff issues up to Bill. That's his job not for us to solve. Just tell me where Daniels is headed!!!

JHWK 11 years, 9 months ago

Seems that nothing is out there on Daniels....so do we think Ben Mac's Mom called him??

LAJayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

What I'm reading elsewhere is that it's a weird financial aid hangup (he won't be on scholarship this semester as we don't have one to give), but that it's basically a done deal.

Imagine if we pick up Daniels, McLemore and Chol... a definite possibility and our class would be LOADED if that happened. We shall see.....

Michael Pannacciulli 11 years, 9 months ago

Ah, interesting insight. That does make sense actually. Thanks.

Havent heard a peep about Chol lately on KUSports.com

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 9 months ago

Ah, the "tough love" by Bill Self-----you gotta love it!