Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tyshawn Taylor ‘feeling good’ after surgery

Kansas guards Tyshawn Taylor (10) and Travis Releford high-five as the Jayhawks wrap up the game against Ohio State in this photo from Dec. 10 at Allen Fieldhouse. The day after KU’s 78-67 victory, Taylor underwent knee surgery.

Tyshawn Taylor wasn’t having any trouble walking around during the Kansas University basketball team’s trip to Wal-Mart on Thursday to shop for needy families.

KU’s senior point guard had surgery Sunday to repair torn meniscus in his right knee.

“It feels better than expected after three days,” Taylor said Thursday. “I’m feeling good. I’m feeling confident about it.”

Taylor was injured during practice on Monday, Dec. 5. He ended up playing in the Jayhawks’ next two games — against Long Beach State and Ohio State — before electing for surgery.

The procedure Sunday took about an hour, with doctors putting Taylor under general anesthesia.

“They said the tear was bigger than they thought, and they were surprised that I played with it. Which, I’m glad they didn’t tell me that before,” Taylor said with a smile. “Yeah, they said it was pretty big. But it’s out now, and it’s good. I shouldn’t have any problems with it after this.”

Taylor actually said his knee felt better Thursday at Wal-Mart than it did Saturday when he played against Ohio State.

“It gets tight, and stiff sometimes and it’s more swollen than it was,” Taylor said, “but I feel good right now.”

The knee was strong enough that Taylor shot at practice Friday. He did not participate in live drills. Coach Bill Self has not yet ruled him out for Monday night’s 8 p.m. game versus Davidson in Sprint Center.

“I don’t know yet,” Self said of whether Taylor will dress for the game. “He feels pretty good.”

KU junior forward Thomas Robinson, who had the same injury last year, returned to play in KU’s game against Oklahoma State 10 days after his surgery. The KU-Davidson game will be the eighth day after Taylor’s procedure.

“I knew there was a chance I would possibly miss the Davidson game and possibly the USC game (Thursday). There’s honestly a good chance I won’t miss either,” Taylor said. “So I’m feeling good about that. I’m definitely not going to rush it, definitely not going to rush it. But if I can play, I’m going to play, because I know coach is going to give me the OK if I give him the OK.”

If the Hoboken N.J., native plays, it’s likely because of the hard work he put in during final-exam week.

Wednesday and Thursday, Taylor’s schedule looked like this: one-hour training-room session in the morning, one-hour training-room session in the early afternoon, final exam in the afternoon, then one-hour training session around 5 p.m. The senior was the last person in the training room on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Taylor — who actually pre-habbed with pool exercises before the surgery — said he is mostly concerned with strengthening the muscles around his knee, which includes his quadriceps.

As part of his rehab, he said does quad stretches and treadmill work and also puts weights on his leg before doing leg lifts.

Those exercises are followed by icing to reduce the swelling.

Greene close to announcing

Brannen Greene, a 6-foot-7 junior small forward from Mary Persons High in Forsyth, Ga., is expected to announce his college choice in coming days, Rivals.com reports. Greene’s dad, Jeffrey, told Rivals.com that three (unspecified) programs had moved to the top of the list of the No. 35-ranked player in the Class of 2013. It has been speculated his three or four favorites are Kansas, UConn, Louisville and Florida. Also remaining on his list: Florida State, Harvard, Memphis and Ohio State.

Parker to visit?

Tony Parker, a 6-9, 250-pound senior center from Miller Grove High in Lithonia, Ga., may visit KU in the near future, jayhawkslant.com reports. Ohio State has been considered the leader for the No. 33-rated player in the Class of 2012, who is also reportedly considering Duke, Georgia Tech, Memphis and Georgetown.

Book signings today

ESPN's Jason King will sign copies of the book "Beyond the Phog" from 3:30 p.m., to 6 p.m., today at Hastings Books, Music and Video, 23rd and Iowa.

Also, former KU guard Tyrel Reed will be signing for his book, "Reed All About It," at Crown Automotive, 3400 S. Iowa St., from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

• Assistant sports editor Gary Bedore contributed to this report.

Comments

Jim Roth 10 years, 8 months ago

Reed All About It: Driven to be a Jayhawk Only $11.09 at Amazon; not too late for Xmas!

rwhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't think Tyrel has a book...think he's signing for "Beyond the Phog."

rwhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Nevermind. When did this happen? Generally, things like this get more press in Jayhawk nation.

dylans 10 years, 8 months ago

The columns that were in the paper several weeks ago were exerts from his book.

Jesse Newell 10 years, 8 months ago

Sorry for the confusion. Reed is signing for his book, "Reed All About It," at Crown Automotive. It should be fixed above.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

jaybate...this come w/all respect. As much as I too am interested in any book about KU Basketball, the first comment should have been directed to Tyshawn and getting well.

Don't take that wrong.

AsadZ 10 years, 8 months ago

Ty, Its great to hear that you are feeling better. I am sure being a very competitive player you would want to be on the floor ASAP. Just do not rush in coming back. Take your time. Get plenty of rehab, plenty of rest, and keep following the schedule. We will need you 110% down the stretch. All the best.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 8 months ago

When can BMac and Traylor get to start practicing? After finals week, or after finals break is over? I would tink BMac has a heavy dose of stairs coming his way once he is able to return. Nevertheless, that will be two more practice bodies for the team.

Also--does anybody know--did KU recruit Trevor Releford? He is doing really well as a sophomore point guard at Alabama.

Jackalope7 10 years, 8 months ago

Jeez, that guy can jump! The top of his head is even with the rim!

blackhawkjayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

KU didn't recruit Trevor. Tyshawn, Selby, Elijah mix may have been why.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

Exactly..might have been a mistake but we have a lot of talented guards. Just need to stop making mistakes. Plus we might not have signed Ben.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 8 months ago

SABD--Holy Cow. His eyes were even with or above the rim!! That just pumped me up!! Looks like you have a pretty good inside camera man!

REHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn, glad to hear that your rehab progresses quickly. Sounds as though you played through more than just a minor tear those last two games. Please take enough down time to heal completely before endangering the repair. Your team might benefit from some bench players getting a bit more experience this week. Fans are getting pumped for the opening of league play soon. Gotta have you 100% for the opener vs. the Wildkitties.

Steve Reigle 10 years, 8 months ago

Excellent news about Tyshawn! I was proud of him for playing hurt but hearing what the doctors said makes me even more proud he's a Jayhawk.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 8 months ago

Tony Parker? Thought we dropped off his list. This is good news to be in that mix.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

KU has increased their recruiting of Parker since Tarc committed to Zona. It may be too late. I read that Dooley was in attendance this week at Parker's game(s).

Ben Simonett 10 years, 8 months ago

The fact that we are still pursuing Parker, indicates the Anrio Adams hasn't solidified his scholarship offer yet.

thats a good thing IMO

TexasHawk44 10 years, 8 months ago

Bennybob: Adams and Parker have nothing to do with each other. You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you realize how big time programs recruit and shuffle scholarships? Clearly not ...and why is that a good thing about Adams? Do even know this kid? Are you his Arch Rival? The Joker to his Batman? Please ... Glad to see Taylor feeling better. I hate his turnovers but he is critical to this team.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

If KU can somehow get Parker on campus, as Mascott has said on the shiver, and then somehow KU could lure Parker into the Crimson and Blue........................Holy Cow!

KU would have a Top 5 recruiting class if that were to happen.

I do find it interesting that KU will have McLemore, White, and Releford next year at the 2 and 3 spots. If somehow Parker would commit to KU, that could very well push Perry Ellis to the "Rush Spot", which is hard not to get excited about.

Ben Simonett 10 years, 8 months ago

Wheres the extra schollie gonna come from?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

Where do you think? The unfortunate part of college athletics!

Dan Harris 10 years, 8 months ago

Watched Parker drop 29 on Oak Hill the othert night . The guy is a beast but KU was never mentioned as a possible destination?

VaJay 10 years, 8 months ago

As much as I'd like to make sure we beat Davidson, I'd rather not take any chances & make sure he's 100%. It may be good as well to get PT for others.

dylans 10 years, 8 months ago

Just don't make any "Merry Christmas" remarks before the game.

manunitedjayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Have you looked at the other players we have recruited in the 2012 class? They are all pretty solid. I don't think Self would have recruited Peters if he didn't think he could impact our great program eventually. Anyway, how does this effect anything with this years team? I couldn't disagree more with the Mizzou and Baylor analysis. You will see Baylor's flaws today against BYU and MIzzou doesn't have the inside guys to hang with us. KU is the clear favorite to win the league and is more battle tested at this point than the rest of the conference.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 8 months ago

What are you talking about? He had 14 rebounds against Isiah Austin. Can dribble really well, and is perfect for the system. I thought he looked good. They had 2 guys with D 1 schollies going against 5. He looked good.

kufankam 10 years, 8 months ago

I totally agree... BenMac, Ellis & co. are a top 10 caliber class next year. That is unacceptable at KU. Self needs to get a #1 class every year. Winning Big 12 titles for the better part of the decade is no basis to trust Self has ANY clue what he's doing... Hihawk, maybe you can be our coach!!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

I would have agreed w/you 6 months ago..but look at our class in 2012, Frankamp in '13 and the play of Wesley and Young. Add Ben and Traylor and I'm stoked.

I've learned after a few dumb comments that 2nd guessing HCBS usually the wrong way to go. Not saying yours was dumb.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

Have you seen who they have played? Look at who they beat and in fact Baylor struggled with a D2 team recently.

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

~"...one-hour training-room session in the morning, one-hour training-room session in the early afternoon, final exam in the afternoon, then one-hour training session around 5 p.m." --TT's reported rehab schedule on a final exam day

If Tyshawn Taylor is taking a final exam in anything but some pass-fail, major-in-eligibility class, then TT is a bigger man for his final exam taking than for playing in the Ohio State game with a bigger than realized tear in his miniscus.

When I prepared for final exams back in the proto-digital, but mostly still analog era, I was so nervous and compulsive that on the day of an exam I memorized from the moment I awoke until the moment the test was handed to me, because that was what it took for me to get on an edge to get an A--for it to all be there on recall at the right speed to kill the test. I hate to say it now, but I actually approached final exam's as opponents I tried to beat the shizz out of. I treated them as I had treated opponents in high school sports. Full back lead block. Explode into the numbers. Blow the final exam linebacker out of the whole and then hook him and drive him to the ground if possible. Never let the bastard go.

I know mine was not the healthiest way to approach testing, and that I might have scored higher with more work on modulating focus and relaxation, but at that time that was what I knew.

Now, I am utterly in awe of Tyshawn being able to take tests and rehab. Truly these KU athletes are gifted, disciplined human beings that deserve our respect in many ways, not just on the wood.

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

And as Self said after one game this season, all these kids have something going on in the background of every game and practice, too. A sickness in the family. An quarrel with a girl friend. A conflict with a teacher. Home sickness. Frustration at not being able to have some car or piece of clothing that is too expensive. The feeling of their thinking being rearranged by some content at school that makes them reevaluate everything they have been taught. The boredom of the grind. The fantastically hot babe at the party last night that gave him their phone number and seems like might be the woman they were meant to be with forever. The texts and calls at 3 am from the crazy fans from another school that some how got their cell phone numbers. The flu that won't go away. The fear that they may have caught the clap. The wanderlust that makes guys sometimes just want to get in a car and drive to see how far they can get by tomorrow morning at dawn. And on and on.

It would be a privilege to coach such young persons, imperfections, mistakes, faux pauxs and all.

How fortunate Bill Self and the coaching staff are.

I can see why Self tells players that we don't have time to coach attitude and effort; that the kids have to bring those things themselves.

But if they bring those things, and with their manifold gifts of mind and body, these must be some great, great, great young men to help get better.

Rock Chalk!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

Quality read. It's easy to forget these kids are more than just athletes but I've been impressed how the KU family rallies around these kids after a tragedy.

Still, they all have the same life decisions and everyday things all of us have.. Just theirs are often under the microscope of public scrutiny. I wish I had their talent but privacy has its good side too.

Privacy maybe one thing future generations will never know.

Steve Brown 10 years, 8 months ago

How about a story about the local kid, Olathe East I think, freshman playing #2 spot for Davidson. I don't think he has missed any court dates.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

Get better Tyshawn...team needs you! Finish off your career in style.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 8 months ago

Lighthawk: I assume you're not suggesting that the kid from Olathe has near the talent, skill. upside, or potential stud-ability of our #2 that missed a court date? Or that we would have been better off with Kalinoski over McLemore? Just that it would be a nice story, right?

On the recruiting front, interesting that KU is now in on Parker here, a high 4 star guy. I mean I am shocked. Why would we need him? We have Peters and Lucas .... 2-3 star players at the 4/5 spots. Add in 3 star Traylor. Self knows these guys will be top flight guys .. I mean he knows so much more than rivals, or scout, or other coaches, right? He's now aggressively pursuing Parker. I cannot imagine why.

All that aside, what's going on here? Really. We add Parker. Someone is leaving. And likely a 4/5 spot guy. I think I'm right here on the scholarships, but with TRob leaving, that means we need to free one up to be square with our current recruiting class.

Even if I'm off by one, Withey, Traylor, Peters, Lucas, and Parker? And Wesley? And Young (more a 3/4 flex guy). The new signees would be in for sure. Withey too. Young will be a senior, he isn't leaving. Down to Traylor or Wesley. And the logjam doesn't even consider the 2013 class.

What is the liklihood that Lindsay, Traylor and Wesley are on this team next season?

Why would Parker walk into that scrum? One answer ... he would be the best of the bunch. He would likely be the first off the bench, assuming Ellis plays the 4. If Ellis is move to the 3 over Releford, Parker could start. No way Traylor, Peters, Lucas, or Wesley start.

I have seen a few warm and fuzzy comments on Peters. I would ask anyone that watched that game, do you really, seriously, think he is ready for prime-time? Could he go the same way that our other extremely early commit (Woolridge) went?

Just wish we hadn't gone "all in" on Tarc, and perhaps aggressively pursued other top options like Willie Cauley or Parker. Going "all in" sounds like gambling; more people make money in the stock market because you can better hedge your bets.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

Man..subtle (and not so subtle) sarcasm at its best...

Don't know about Lindsay but Traylor and Wesley will be back. Traylor didn't stick around for a year only to leave and Wesley will be a Sr. and a starter imo. Peters? I'll defer.

100% agreement on Tarc and Willie Cauley (I will never understand the reasoning behind that).

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

HEM, I watched that whole game the other night, and I am excited about Peters. If his team had any guards whatsoever, Randle and Peters would have looked a lot better.

Don't even look at the stats, but Peters confidence and movement on the court impresed me. Randle and Peters were sped up that whole game simply because their guards could not control the tempo and simply could not manage the game.

With that said, Peters was guarding arguably the best center in the class who's length bothered Peters at times. I think Austin's length would bother about anybody in the country. However, Randle and Peters did score buckets in Austin's teeth so that is encouraging.

If you recorded the game, don't pay attention to Peters stats, his buckets, or some of his turnovers bringing the ball up the court, but focus on his movement, his positioning, and his confidence with the ball. I think that says enough to me right there that he belonged with the elite talent that was on the court that night. IMO, I don't think Woolridge and Peters are in the same department despite the similarities of the rankings with the reruiting services.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

I sipped the Tarc kool-aid for a while but then I started seeing things in his game that really caused me to lose confidence in his upside. I think with the right coach, he could be better but let's face it, zona has no DMan to develop their bigs. Miller is an average big coach. He's much like Calipari when it comes to bigs. Calipari hasn't developed a big since Camby and there's a lot of crazy speculation about that whole recruiting situation.

If Parker is smart, he'll take one look at the twins and say, KU is a big factory turning out NBA talent. Most of who Calipari has had was already developed talent. He did nothing for Orton, Patterson or even Cousins. He did nothing with Kanter at all. In fact, Kanter developed their big white kid that came on strong in the tourney last year. Self and DMan bring these bigs in and develop them into real talent. They made the player, not the other way around. UK bigs have made Calipari. Calipari had nothing at Memphis. All he had at Memphis in 2008 was the black kid with corn rows on his head. I can't even remember their names.

REHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey, we can't have folks questioning the wisdom of signing Peters. That kid knew his own mind and had his heart in the right place way back when Tarq the Sharq and others were scratching their gonads, wandering around in an indecisive fog. This sr. year of football will have helped Peters develop as a D-Block type power forward who will establish and hold down his own territory when the bruisers come calling.

Alohahawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Only yesterday I saw a snippet on one of the boards (I've searched for it today and can't locate it.) in which Self defended Peters, stating that he considered Josh's ranking on the boards as to low. Let the detractors say what they will. IMHO, Peters will surprise many of the so called recruiting experts.

As for Parker, it would obviously raise KU in the 2012 team rankings. But as a few have pointed out above, KU is out of available scholarships. Unless, of course, someone were to transfer or leave early for the NBA. Or if one of the 2012 recruits were to back out of their commitment.

CrimsonnBlueKU 10 years, 8 months ago

Adding a big like Parker will make our front court really big and athletic. I definitely think he very attracted to being developed by Manning. I watched the high school game on ESPN and this kid is smooth and plays within himself. He has a very high ceiling and would benefit tremendously under Manning. I would imagine that someone will transfer next year as our team is looking very deep with talent know especially if T Parker decides to join JHawk nation. With that said does anyone know what the status of Nino Jackson is? I think we definitely need a PG.

Alohahawk 10 years, 8 months ago

There have been a number of recruit board reports, and rumors abound, that Nino Jackson's grades aren't passable for him to qualify for college. Would expect him to go the Juco route. So, maybe KU will consider him in a year or two, if he's still high on the Jayhawks.

Agree that KU needs Tharpe to perform at the point, or that could prove a thorn amongst a fine crop of Jayhawk bigs/roses.

One concern that the ESPN announcers brought up about Parker during the game was that he has had problems controlling his weight. Maybe Hudy could do wonders with him. However, that would depend on the effort he's willing to put forth. Reminds me of how KU lucked out when they recruited Josh Smith (current UCLA 7' sophomore center.) If I remember correctly, recruiters ranked him in the top 35 or so. Smith, who appeared overweight during his recruitment, has soft hands and takes up a lot of space. But he acts lazy at both ends of the court, tires easily and has been far from impressive.

machinegun 10 years, 8 months ago

13 assists with a knee problem against a top five team. Guts and determination we have not seen since Big Dub. I am really looking forward to Tyshawn's return to the court.