Saturday, December 10, 2011

Keegan

Next job for Charlie Weis: find QB

Charlie Weis makes an opening statement after being introduced by Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger during a news conference Friday in which Weis was announced as the new head football coach.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Download podcast

Videos

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

video thumbnail

Kansas University chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and athletic director Sheahon Zenger introduced Charlie Weis as KU's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Players surprised by, happy with Weis hire

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

The question came from across the table, from a friend who knows how to get to the heart of the matter.

“Did you like him?” he asked, meaning Charlie Weis, knowing I had just attended his introductory news conference.

It’s a coach’s job to make everybody like him when he’s saying hello. And it’s my job to see through staged news conferences, almost look for reasons not to like the star of the show, in case he’s a phony.

My response: “I’ve known a lot of Jersey guys. He struck me as the kind of Jersey guy I’ll like.”

By that, I meant he’s direct, in charge, funny, confident, not afraid to let you know when you’re annoying him, and above all, sarcastic. You understand why some others might not like him, but you like him. That’s the first impression he made.

He’s a splashy hire, all right, but he didn’t come across, even a little bit, as a splashy guy.

As New England Patriots offensive coordinator, Weis was the first NFL tutor to the greatest quarterback of all-time, Tom Brady. When I asked Weis for qualities in Brady that we don’t see on TV on Sunday, he supplied objective and subjective samples, in that order, of the football qualities of a man he refers to as “Tommy,” a man he said is “like family to us.”

Weis said he had to go back to Dan Marino to remember a quarterback not gifted with quick feet “be so smooth in the pocket.”

“His feet are so still,” Weis said. “There are times he just stands there. There are people all around. He just stands there. And there are times he has to move a little to the left, a little to the right or go back or go forward, he does it, finds a window and throws the ball. I’ve never seen anyone so calm playing the quarterback position. Now, you’re going to watch him play, and you’re going to see what I’m talking about.”

Then Weis referred to the indefinable quality possessed by all great ones in all sports.

“OK, now subjectively, there are certain people who have it, and I can’t tell you what ‘it’ is, he has it. If you’re around him, whatever ‘it’ is, you’d know it, because that’s what ‘it’ is,” Weis said.

It’s not something that can be spotted in a conversation, so KU’s new football coach looks to learn the intangibles of a quarterback prospect in other ways.

“You can go into it the school and watch what everyone thinks about him,” Weis said. “See, when I go into a school, I like to talk to people other than coaches. ’Cause the coaches are always going to say how great the kid is. I like talking to the custodians. I like talking to the lunch lady. I like talking to the police guy who works in the school, ’cause they’re the ones who will tell you what the kids are really like. I mean, you can watch on tape to see whether he can play. You like to see how the kid is viewed by his peers in view of leadership and as long as you have a quarterback who’s viewed as a leader, you have a good chance.”

It’s easy to see Weis talking to the custodian, the security enforcer at a school. He looks and talks more like those guys than like the splashy hire.

Weis doesn’t need to return to Notre Dame to ask anybody about the quarterback he covets. He’s been there, done that years ago when he recruited Dayne Crist, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound pocket passer. Crist played for Weis for two seasons at Notre Dame, was injured and red-shirted one year under Brian Kelly and was benched the next. He’s graduating this month and can transfer and be eligible immediately.

Look for Crist in Allen Fieldhouse today. Weis can’t talk about him by name. He can’t tell everybody in Allen Fieldhouse that when a 6-4 young man pins a bear hug on him, that’s a sign to break into chants of “We want Dayne! We want Dayne! We want Dayne!”

Crist, a one-year player, would be a nice start. If Weis does a better job of assembling a staff than he did at Notre Dame and treats the coaches under him with respect, he could be well on his way to justifying the over-the-top enthusiasm already expressed by so many KU supporters.

“He’s created so much of a buzz and excitement; I think we’re going to have 25,000 at the spring game,” said Bernie Kish, who in order to move to Lawrence, where he teaches at KU, left his 10-year post as head of the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., a few months after Weis came to town.

Weis has a tough challenge on his hands. The offseason workouts will run off some players who aren’t up to it, and the ones who stay on board will give Weis a head-start on evaluating his team. He’ll already know the identity of the tough guys.

Comments

PegLegg 10 years, 11 months ago

Now this is a solid article. I love the straight talk of Weis. He's personable, he cares, and he's here to win. All the negativity towards this guy is a bunch of made up perceptions, opinions thrown out there that people take as fact and use to negate his character and coaching ability. From listening to both he and SZ, they just seem to get it. He's had great experiences, he's had poor experiences and he's learned from each. Only time will tell, but he's won over this skeptic and I can't wait to see what he can do for us. I also can't wait to see who he brings in to fill out his staff. Crist will step into the phog tomorrow and immediately know where to go next year. I agree with dotcom above, get this fella in a KU uni ASAP.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 11 months ago

2 reconditions for the price of 1.

We could do a lot worse.

Dayne will be easier than the OC, DC, ...

How does this impact Durron Neal, our highest rated prospect? Work your magic Work your magic Reggie.

Eric Williams 10 years, 11 months ago

Neal's a pretty solid commit to OU. Hiring Weis does not make KU equal to OU. We need some success before we can steal from OU.

Stealing a recruit from MU is different than OU.

irvan moore 10 years, 11 months ago

ya gotta like a coach who can get a top quarterback visiting the day after he's hired

Ozarkhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Durron Neal is a nice player but the number #1 recruit in the nation by Rivals is only 3 hours away in Springfield, Missouri. Get Crist and then head down Hwy 13 and pay a call to Dorial Green Beckham. As of yet he is uncommitted. Put Crist and DGB with our young backs and offensive line and things could get interesting.

parrothead8 10 years, 11 months ago

Keep dreaming. KU could get Jesus to be the head football coach and still wouldn't get the #1 recruit in the nation.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

I was thinking about that kid yesterday. I never understood why KU doesn't ever at least just send the #1 recruit an offer, especially when he's almost in our backyard. I know some will say it's a waste of time, but I don't see a waste in going a handful of miles East, tossing an offer in front of him and waiting to see what shakes out. It simply doesn't hurt.

That being said, that kid is being recruited by essentially EVERY blue blood program: Texas, OU, Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Wisconsin, Florida, Florida St, Arkansas, Auburn, etc, etc, etc, etc. There's no way it would ever happen, but I still think it's worth it to at least toss your name in the hat. Mizzou has... and they ain't gettin'em.

Ozarkhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

My daughter has been friends with him since 7th grade. He has NFL written all over him. Is Mack Brown going to talk to him about what he needs to do to get to the next level? Don't think so. How about Stoops? Not much NFL experience there either. Saban? Nope. Pinkel? Please! It is worth a shot. His adoptive father is his head football coach at Hillcrest H.S. He might more than most parents understand what Charlie Weiss could do for his son to get him prepared for the next level. Hell, for that matter pull an Ed Manning and hire his dad for your staff. He used to be an assistant coach at Missouri State.

JayHok 10 years, 11 months ago

If Crist signs with the Weis Man. Then a lot of things open up.

If you're the number one wide receiver in the nation with the NFL written all over you, do you want to prepare yourself with Bob Stoops, Mack Brown or Charlie Weis?

That's the question the kid will have to consider. Surely Weis' 4 NFL championship rings could get him in the door to meet mom.

Dr. Zenger really hit a homerun with this hire. We'll have at least one five star in the stands today.

KU_Alumn_2000 10 years, 11 months ago

Ozark Hawk - I live in Springfield too. Is there a KU friendly bar around here to watch games ?

Funhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Glen Mason was another outspoken Jersey guy. But, he wasn't scary. He didn't kill anybody..... as far as we know.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

He killed football for 2 or 3 years at KU...

escaped_labrat 10 years, 11 months ago

No, that was Terry Allen...Mason took us to the Aloha Bowl in the last year of the Big 8 and we crushed UCLA

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Look it up - his first two years he had 5 wins - just like Turner Gill. His third season got us 3 whole wins.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Ah, yes, I forgot. All of Jersey is made up of Italian mafia guys.

Thankfully, that's not a worn out, cliched stereotype.

KU79 10 years, 11 months ago

Weis looks to be a guy that's comfortable in his own skin, so to speak. He knows who he is and knows what he wants to do, and knows how to get there. No need for razzle-dazzle, just roll up your sleeves and get to work. And become, once again, The University OF Kansas (on the football field)!

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

We have to admit that K-State has had some tough football players over the years.

What do you expect when you pull a plow all day and wrestle pigs for fun? DUH.

Funhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Yes, that's the difference between Kansas farm kids and Johnson County city slickers. Kids who grow up on a farm become as tough as Snyder nails.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

How do the Snyder nails differ from other nails?

Can I go to my local hardware store and ask for some 16 penny Snyder nails, cause I want them to be old?

Mike Kendall 10 years, 11 months ago

"I like him, too."

When Weis was asking why K-State was 10-2 and the Jayhawks went 2-10, in reference to how to be successful---wow, I was clapping my hands at my laptop!

Now yer talkin'!

Funny, he said the Jayhawks won two too many games last season. I am assuming he meant it would be a lot less pressure from an 0-12 season VS a 2-10 season. But hey, that was funny! Weis has a great sense of humor and if he starts pulling in star recruits, lookout!

I really enjoyed listening to him. Almost as much as Bill Self. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

{And by the way, K-State Wildcat Nation---try and not worry about the situation!}

railer20 10 years, 11 months ago

I think Weis did great with his K-State comments...I took it as he knows the Mizzery Tigs are gone and now our main focus will be being better than KSU every year!

adubbs3 10 years, 11 months ago

Trust me, Wildcat Nation is not at all worried. You can keep up your basketball program, and don't worry, we will keep up our football one.

Ryan Shelton 10 years, 11 months ago

Don't even think of comparing the two programs!

adubbs3 10 years, 11 months ago

Because Football isn't what runs college sports? And you can try all you want, you still won't beat us. I love reading articles and stupid people thinking two days after they hire a new coach they are going to beat us next year. This is why I was born in raised in Lawrence, Kansas for 18 years and still chose to bleed purple because tradition and family mean something here. Why don't you just "wait til football season!" Does the saying sound familiar? Yeah, thought so.

Ryan Shelton 10 years, 11 months ago

I won't go so far as to stoop to juvenile name calling when addressing you. What I will say, again, is that KSU's football tradition cann't be compared to KU's basketball tradition. And I'm not going to sit here and brag about it because I had no more to do with KU's basketball winning tradition over the last 100 years than you can claim responsibility for the last 15 years of KSU's football fortunes (minus the Ron Prince years and a few years before Prince was hired.) I've hit just as many three pointers as you have thrown touchdown passes.

Facts are facts, and as a fan of KU sports, I'm not going to sit here and say that we will beat KSU in football next year. That would be presumptious. You can spout off guarantees from behind your anonymous handle all you want, but there's just one thing-- why are you on kusports.com in the first place? If you weren't worried about the future, about your aging coach (for whom I have the deepest respect) and about our new hire which brims with upside, then you would not feel compelled to rush to this website to try to stir the pot. You would instead be saturated in the Wildcats' great season and upcoming bowl game.

So, adubbs3, I wish your Wildcats the best, and in the meantime, between great KU basketball wins (like today's,) I will proudly be waiting until football season. Good evening.

BigAl 10 years, 11 months ago

Football program? KSU has one, ONE, conference championship in football and now they have a "program" equal to Kansas Basketball. Don't think so ..... Besides that, Kansas still owns the all time series with K-State. By far......

You "staters" crack me up. And you call KU folks arrogant?

amatxjayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

I really liked him. This was indeed a more humble personable guy than was introduced at ND. I also put a mark on the wall this morning for something else. That something was something that resembled a positive story line from Tom Keegan. Damn!! CW must really have IT.

Funhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Well, Mason had a water boy from Jersey, or as the kid would say, Joy-zee. Believe his name was Vincent. Funny, that KU coach had a lot of attrition. Players started disappearing. The water boy said to check the baker wetlands. That Vinnie was a cut up.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 11 months ago

lol...nice.

I was at KU when Mason was in his prime. he strung some nice wins together. i'm pretty psyched about weis. he's going to bring some juice back to the team. he's got me checking in on the team again and i haven't cared really since they won the orange bowl...and btw...it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a jersey guy.

ku_tailg8 10 years, 11 months ago

I pray that the bball team doesn't lay a terd today against OSU. I hope the atmosphere is electric (which it normally is) and we can welcome our new football coach and possible stud qb with a great game.

LSHawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Hiring Wies has already gotten a top recruit interested in playing at KU. Now if KU starts playing a pro style offense, which it will, many kids will be interested in playing at KU. This hire at least gives us a reason to hope KU football is on its way up.

Brak 10 years, 11 months ago

Agreed, Pro Style offense with a Pro Style coach will definately get us a few more looks from higher tiered recruits. Having Crist come in and start right away while also teaching his successor whether that is Berglund or Cummings or whoever. Speaking of Berglund, sounds like he would be a great fit under a Charlie Weis offense.

milehighhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

still not sure what this means:

"...said Bernie Kish, who in order to move to Lawrence, where he teaches at KU, left his 10-year post as head of the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., a few months after Weis came to town."

johnnyphoton 10 years, 11 months ago

I think it's called "journalistic discretion."

Stan Unruh 10 years, 11 months ago

I wonder what Brock Berglund thinks about playing QB for Kansas now?

Kevin Randell 10 years, 11 months ago

I think a more accurate question would be does coach Weis even want Brock Berglund on his team?

phi4life940 10 years, 11 months ago

Didn't he go somewhere else and suck it up big time???

Ole Miss? Am I thinking about the same guy?

I want Crist. Any guy that is a top-rated prospect and get's benched after years of trials and tribulations (injuries etc.) but still stays humble and willing to do anything for his team is a guy I want leading our program with Coach Weis.

SOOOOO EXCITED FOR KU FOOTBALL!!!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

You're thinking of Zach Stoudt. Junior College recruit that had us as a finalist, but chose Ole Miss.

Bergland is actually a member of our team..... sort of.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 11 months ago

It actually would seem to be a good deal for Berglund. Crist could only play for one year, and that would give Berglund a reshirt year to learn the system. Since he didn't play at all last year I'm assuming he would come in as a freshman (???) Unless Weis recruits someone even better to take over for Crist. In that case, Berglund and his legal problems have missed the boat.

jhox 10 years, 11 months ago

I believe Brock would be a great fit in this offense, if we can just get him to come to Lawrence and actually stay. He has all of the physical gifts, and who better to turn him into an NFL QB?

I'm pretty sure Weis won"t coddle him and allow him to travel back and forth between Denver and Lawrence constantly. If Brock really wants to be a Jayhawk he is going to need to commit to living in Lawrence full time. If he's willing to do that, Weis can turn someone with his natural gifts into a first round draft choice.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

The problem is, as Weis stated, a QB needs to be a leader, and, unfortunately, I'm not sure any member of our football team currently looks at Brock that way. At all.

Certainly he could work to change that, but it would take time. And he would have to bust his a## and prove to everyone that he is willing to work harder than anyone to gain that type of respect.

In my outside opinion, anyway.

Steve Corder 10 years, 11 months ago

I enjoyed the podcast of the press conference. I liked what Weis said and how he handled himself, particularly with one dense reporter.

There's much, much more in the pod cast than this brief article. It's worth the time to listen.

Welcome coach Weis!

natlchampjhawks 10 years, 11 months ago

Man Keegan you have written some truly awful articles over the years. I read them because I just want information about my team. This is the first good one you have done that I have seen in a while. Nice work.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Saturday Gravy Bits Left Over from the Biscuits"

~Tom appears all in on Charlie, so we can forget about objectivity until BGL gives Tom the word that Weis is fired immediately after B12 realignment is completed; that would be the moment when Notre Dame no longer needs a wire into KU to be confident BGL is doing what she promised Notre Dame she would do regarding realignment.

~After Turner Gill appeared to be hired to be the eyes and ears of Dr. Tom, when KU was trying to hold NU in the B12, and now with Charlie Weis appearing to be hired to be the eyes and ears of Notre Dame, while BGL tries to attract ND and the Big East, or just ND into the Big 12, the KU head football coach's title should perhaps be changed to "Head Wire."

~Tom notes that Charlie's a Jersey guy, one of the kinds he likes. Yo, Chollie, the boids choip in the poik in Joisey, and the Noitheast branch of thuh Super Corridor she has gotta go at least to Joisey, doncha know? Chollie, get ready to be playin' them Scaaallet Knights of Rutgers for a conference game very soon like. And makes sure dat your W&L statement looks respectable, ferchrissssakes, Chollie, cuz once the Big12 and Notre Dame is joined at the hip like one of them Siamese like twins, well, BGL ain't gonna put up with a wire no longer. See? But by then, you probably won't care, right, cuz you will be ready to retire to Boca, right?

~BGL seems to be making all the right moves to attract Notre Dame into the conference as a countervailing force for KU to ally with against Texas and OU.

~The expansion of the Big East appears a clever move by that conference to acquired the schools and states where the big players behind the Big 12 states have to go. It means the Big East has just positioned itself to bargain for a much bigger take than would have occurred had the Big 12 been able to cherry pick these schools individually. But at the same time, if the big players behind the Big 12 are willing to write the check, and the can easily afford any price with the oil&gasagarchy of West Virginia/Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas chipping in, then the Big East has assembled the properties for final acquisition.

~And infrastructure the beat goes on.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 11 months ago

You must be having a bad day, Jaybate. How could you possibly turn a new coaching hire into so many realignment conspiracies?

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Sure, Turner Gill was the most qualified guy for the last hire.

Sure, KU had to pay top dollar and 5 years guarantied to get Turner, a guy who didn't cut it in the pros, didn't set the world on fire at Buffalo, and hadn't recruited Big 12 grade football players in 4 years.

Sure, Charlie Weis was the most qualified candidate for the job.

Sure, Charlie's not a Notre Dame guy.

Sure, the Big Ten states didn't stop the Super Corridor dead at Richards Gebaur.

Sure, the Super Corridor doesn't have a Northeast branch that has to go up the Ohio Valley.

Sure, the Big Ten states don't control the north bank of the Ohio.

Sure, the Big Ten states can't exploit environmental law affecting the Ohio to try to discourage the Northeast branch of the Super Corridor up the South Bank of the Ohio.

Sure, getting Notre Dame on your side wouldn't give you any influence in the legislatures of Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvannia.

Sure, universities have nothing to do with state politics and they aren't pork barreling conduits for winning votes in state legislatures.

Sure, Murray Sperber was wrong in 1990 in "College Sports, Inc.": college athletic departments aren't a tail capable of wagging a university dog.

Sure, the Big East just figured Boise State gives the Big East a foothold in that mega media market of Boise, Idaho.

Sure, you're not in denial and having a conspiracy theory seizure to reduce the cognitive dissonance.

Sure. :-)

Hank Cross 10 years, 11 months ago

KU is hoping to get ND into the B12 by hiring a coach ND fired????

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

No, I imagine KU hiring a guy they believe Notre Dame administrators liked and probably felt bad about having to can. I imagine KU hoping to get ND into the B12 with a trusted, former ND coach that can tell ND if KU is "doing it the right way" and crafting a conference as they said they would.

It appears to me that Notre Dame has to let go of guys periodically that it knows are perfectly good coaches, because their fan base has fantastically high expectations and gets bitter quickly. I reckon ND leadership does feel bad about some of these firings and I suspect they do look after some of their formers afterwards when they can.

Charlie Weis is someone the Notre Dame leadership knows and seemed to like a lot, based on my recollections of his time at Notre Dame, even though the alumni lost faith quickly.

Notre Dame has reputedly been for the last 15 or so years among the universities in America trying responsibly to bring big time college athletics back under the control of the chancellors and Presidents of universities. They have hired several coaches "trying to do it the right way" and their football program has fallen from the pinnacle of excellence it once maintained, IMHO because of some other schools that have not "tried to do it the right way."

I suspect Charlie Weis is a very good man, who will "try to do it the right way," exactly as Turner Gill was doing.

I suspect Weis will have more success than Gill, simply because Weis will build off Gill's two years of rebuilding development, and because Charlie will be permitted to bring in the ND transfer QB. Its a win-win for everyone in that sense. TG gets $6 million bones. BGL gets rid of a Dr. Tom man, whom she no longer needs to build relationship with, and gets a ND man that probably helps her build a relationship with ND, which she probably wants to attract to the B12.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Turner Gill will down the road also probably get a very good recommendation from BGL and Zenger, too. The reason Gill got the big check was probably because everyone understood his firing had little to do with the two losing seasons that are par for the course when "rebuilding the right way." He had to go, probably because he was a Dr. Tom man and was too close to the Big 12 realignment process that BGL is reputedly the informal head of to be trusted not to keep Dr. Tom out of the loop.

I am amazed people find this preposterous. It just seems like sound bureaucratic maneuvering to me. And it sure doesn't sound a bit like a conspiracy.

For gosh sakes, people, every subtle move by a leader is not a conspiracy, nor should persons who simply master the obvious be accused of conspiracy theorizing.

Wouldn't BGL be stupid to keep a Dr. Tom guy in her inner circle, when she is trying to craft a conference that will substantially cut into the Big Ten's status and help, at least indirectly set up the pork barreling conduit necessary to enable the Northeast Super Corridor extension that is hardly a secret.

No one seriously doubts that certain oligarchs are trying to punch the Northeast branch of the Super Corridor through, do they?

Something can't be a conspiracy if everyone knows about it, can it?

Don't conspiracies have to be a secret?

Any way, Charlie Weis probably wasn't fired at ND, because he was a bad football coach at ND.

He was probably fired, because ND's leadership, much to their credit, remains steadfast in trying to save college football from the money whores that had, by 1990, largely taken it over. ND reputedly keeps trying to play within the rules; that's why it no longer corners all the talent. Some number of other big time programs probably aren't playing within the rules and are in the hip pockets of the money whores.

Charlie Weis was probably fired, because the ND alumni and fan base demands coaching changes when they aren't super for several years in a row. Any coach that takes the ND job knows he is in a very sticky wicket, because the fan base and alumni want the old Notre Dame super power in football. But the ND administration is working according to criteria that reduce the odds of it, when other big time programs appear not to be.

So: I definitely believe ND administrators feel an allegiance and some gratitude to some of the respectable coaches it chews up and spits out. I suspect Charlie Weis is one of those fellas.

And I suspect that when relationship building with Notre Dame in order to try to pave the way for them to either jump to the Big 12, or more likely, to bring the recently expanded Big East with them, heck yes it would probably add trust to have an old Notre Dame coach on the inside at KU, when the KU chancellor is in the driver's seat of engineering Big 12 realignment.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

I don't see the mystery in this at all. And certainly not a whiff of conspiracy at all. Its just a smart move, if you're BGL and Zenger...from a B12 architecture standpoint.

You don't seriously think Turner Gill was the most qualified coach for the KU job when he was hired, do you? He hadn't recruited big time college football players in four years! That's enough time for any coach's recruiting pipeline to have dried up.

Turner appears to me to have been Dr. Tom's man. KU wanted NU to stay in the B12 in the worst way for many reasons. Hiring Turner was a chit for Dr. Tom, a chit for NU, a chit to say KU feels a deep allegiance to NU. Heck, you can be sure that NU wouldn't have considered hiring Turner, at that time.

Charlie Weis the most qualified candidate for the KU coaching job?

You have to be kidding me. It seems very improbable.

Charlie is an old Notre Damer. He is the perfect age--an old coach. He could fired in two years once the relationship is built and Notre Dame is in the conference, and Charlie could still be quite content. And if he happens to do a good job, get lucky and land some horses, and put up a good W&L statement, well, then, he gets to stay awhile and everyone looks good. But if he's grinding along at .500 and the fans are wrestles again, well, then Charlie would have gotten his bones, ND would have looked after one of their own, and BGL would have gotten the realignment she wanted.

Regardless, I just find it very difficult to believe that Charlie Weis was the best qualified candidate for the job; was not hired to help pave the way for an ND entry into the Big 12.

No insider information and all opining and speculation, of course.

Seth Nesmith 10 years, 11 months ago

You guys still read jaybate? Jaybate says....then I scroll past.

Lash 10 years, 11 months ago

Double ditto.But I need to take a course in speed reading to fit his posts into my time frame..

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

For the ditto users, remember, using "ditto" identifies you as a Rush Limbaugh disciple and, if I recall correctly, a study was done that revealed that Rush Limbaugh's audience was significantly less informed than the average radio audience. :-)

Regardless, as usual, it is a privilege not to be read by morons.

Are you, jhawlkn, a moron?

bigjay83 10 years, 11 months ago

Just a fantastic theory. Only a handful of problems.

1) BGL had very little (no pun intended) to do with the coaching search. She just signed off on Zenger's choice.

2) Zenger had obviously talked to others first, and we know this by Weis's own words: stating that on Wednesday morning he hadn't even been contacted by KU and was content with Florida... that was roughly 9 days in to the coaching search. Although, I suppose BGL was playing the long con by not actually being involved in the search and going through who knows how many other coaches before settling on Weis. Throw everyone off your trail. That makes sense.

3) In what Universe is hiring a coach that was fired by a program and generally disliked by the fan base and alumni a way of attracting the school into your conference?

4) Gill was hired to keep NU in the Big 12? Holy sweet merciful crap, that is a whole new level of dumb. Like chucking your poop at passing pedestrians, king of dumb.

Probably best for you to just stick to basketball.

SaltLakeHawk 10 years, 11 months ago

the moment this whack job said SZ should be fired for hiring Weis in a post the other day, I knew to quit listening.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

bigjay63,

Fantastic rebuttal. Only a handful of problems.

1) Have you ever hired someone and had them perform as you wanted?

2) See 1.

3) This universe. See my responses above outlining exactly why recent Notre Dame coaches that are fired are probably not persona non grata with Notre Dame.

4) Like Gill was hired because he was the best qualified coach at the time? Are you a complete idiot, or are you just playing the part?

Probably best for you just to stick to exchanging posts with functional morons that you have a slim chance of outwitting. :-)

P.S.: If you are any indication of the intellect of persons posting about KU football, is it any wonder KU football sucks so bad? If you are typical, then the KU leadership must understand all it has to do is go through the motions with football coaching hires and bring in sub standards and dip sticks like yourself will gratified for a couple of years. Stop holding yourself and start thinking about what's best for KU football. KU football is and has been, except for random moments, a disgrace to the university and a drag on The Legacy. I have only weighed in a little on football, because at this late date in my life I have finally realized that if KU football is left in the hands of morons like you, KU leadership will never feel the need to drag it up a notch and this will in turn get my beloved KU basketball program shoveled off into some second rate conference for tramp football programs.

So I hate football, and I care about KU football only in regards to the deleterious effect it has on KU basketball, and frankly, while I knew that if I posted on KU football I would be besieged by pea brains with shizz for brains, but I frankly never expected to read some one as nearly completely brain dead as you appear.

:-)

bigjay83 10 years, 11 months ago

Well that was worth about a million internets worth of entertainment. Thank you, jaybate. You are absolutely priceless.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Your assumption that I have a water pipe labels your a bong ripping round worm of an individual. :-)

colreader 10 years, 11 months ago

I watched the press conf. yesterday (until somebody pulled the plug about 50 minutes in) and I'm really impressed with Weis. I wish everybody in the program the best. And beat Ohio State!!!

TwistedFish31 10 years, 11 months ago

What we're looking at here is a "possible" dynasty. Maybe not a dynasty in the sense that OU and UT and Bama and Notre Dame have dynasties, but Weis made it clear that his main goal is to get Kansas into a situation where we are winning every year and going to bowl games and then...pass the team to his son. If the Weis family can make KU football nationally relevant, the Weis family name will be a dynasty in Lawrence. And Zenger will be thought of as one of our great ADs. I know this is 5-10 years premature but what the heII?

Andrew Washington 10 years, 11 months ago

That would be awesome! We could just have Weis's son step up when his old man retires... This might be the begining of the FIRST WEIS dynasty only to be followed by the second. Granted, Im probably being a little too optimistic about all this-but i can still hope!

rockchalk_dpu 10 years, 11 months ago

Actually guys, while Crist would be a great pick up for the team, word is that Gunner Kiel is in the Fieldhouse today for the game (Weis mentioned a big guy who might come up and hug him, Kiel is 6' 4" and the top ranked recruit). That would be a major upheaval in the recruiting landscape and a great first pick up for the team.

Andrew Washington 10 years, 11 months ago

Gunner is the top rated quarterback in the 2012 rivals rankings...Could we possibly have TWO five star QB's visit KU's campus in the next few days?!..assuming both Gunner Kiel and Dayne Crist visit...that would be terrific for our program! Where have you heard the rumors about Gunner Kiel?

doubledomer 10 years, 11 months ago

I think that the opposite is true. Kiel is reportedly making his official visit to Notre Dame this weekend and it is confirmed in the South Bend Tribune and local TV that Crist was catching a flight to visit Weis this morning.

Crist is a remarkable talent and team leader and arrived at ND as the #1 or #2 QB recruit in the country. He suffered two unrelated knee injuries, one while backing up Jimmy Claussen in Weis' last season at ND. In 2010 (Kelly's first season) he carried the entire offense on his shoulders until suffering a knee injury after a 29 yard run against Tulsa. That included a Michigan game where ND looked unstoppable with Crist on the field but totally inept for a quarter he sat out shaken up. For some unknown reason, the current coach pulled Crist after only 30 minutes of action this season (under bizarre weather conditions in the opener), which has caused considerable heartburn among ND fans and rendered ND hopeless against solid defenses like Stanford and USC. While Crist is not the perfect fit for Kelly's spread offense, he has a canon of an arm and the character of a true champion. If he signs with Kansas, you will have all of ND fans rooting for him and for your team (unless you play ND). Best wishes to him and to Coach Weis.

See the above link to local South Bend article about Crist leading ND player volunteers at Thanksgiving event. Great young man.

Nissan_Sentra 10 years, 11 months ago

Quarterback for years 2 & 3: JAKE HEAPS. Heaps just announced this week that he is transferring away from BYU. He'll have to sit out 1 year (Crist's year). He was the #1 rated quarterback in the nation when BYU got him a couple years back, but he's looking for a new home. Go for him.

JayHok 10 years, 11 months ago

After the Oregon PAC 12 championship game experience which I was lucky enough witness in person, if Dr. Zenger figures out a way to lower the field before this season, I'm buying season tickets and pumping some money into KU athletics. I'll fly in five times a year to see this.

Our seating would go up to approximately 75,000 with the sub portions having the pit the surrounds the field, but with the new enthusiasm for Weis, we should be able to fill the stadium with ravenous KU fans.

KU track and Kansas Relays has a special place in our hearts. There's plenty of land KU owns past 23rd for a nice track. The long jump is already done on Mass street, which makes me think maybe Dr. Zenger is already thinking about this.

It needs to be done. KU fans will load up a 75,000 stadium more than ever. I can't tell you how enjoyable it was watching the Oregon game on the 7th row with a rabid fanbase. It's an experience. And if we're ever going to do it, now is certainly the time.

Dynamite, Excavators, 20,000 New Seats, Sump Pump. There's no way this costs more than what we'll get out of it in the next five years. If you run an engineering firm, please call Dr. Zenger. If you don't run an engineering firm, please call or email Dr. Zenger.

rockchalk_dpu 10 years, 11 months ago

The money they put into the new field makes it ridiculous to tear it up and lower it however many feet. Not to mention, the team can't fill 50,000 seats on a regular basis, so why would you add 25,000 more seats to remain empty?

JayHok 10 years, 11 months ago

They couldn't fill it up with Gill's scheme. Weis has a five star QB in the stands today. The Weis Man also has a shot at the overall #1 recruit in the nation, an unsigned wide receiver. I think most of us agree things are about to be a lot different in Lawrence.

The perfect time to do a project like this is now. It's time to look to the future. I can't tell you the difference in watching that Oregon-UCLA game where the fans were on top of the field. UCLA couldn't think!

From what I gather Weis seems smart enough to work with the ku ticketing office in an understanding that 75,000 might not fill it immediately. So start by selling the lowest 50,000 seats. Let the legend grow, plan for the future. If we're 5-0 with Crist leading the charge against a big 12 opponent, I'd put my money on 75,000 ravenous KU fans filling the stadium for a national TV game.

Look further into the future now, especially now that we are slowly but surely stealing the KC market from Missouri over the next decade, could there be a more perfect time to expand the stadium than the day you bring 4 super bowl rings and a high octane passing attack to your stadium?

texashawk10 10 years, 11 months ago

KU has been trying to raise the money to build an "olympic village" over where the softball and soccer fields are that would also include new track facilities. That has to be completed before any consideration to removing the track from Memorial Stadium can happen.

aviebs51 10 years, 11 months ago

This is still the same school that had tickets on groupon right? I am psyched and am contemplating flying back from Miami for a game but to add 25,000 seats is a bit much....now getting rid of the track and lowering the stadium...I like that...if you want to be mentioned in the national spotlight it takes a couple things...hiring a good coach...check...fan support...verdicts out....nationally known facilities....all but the stadium. Now is the time to get rid of it. While people are psyched...I must have missed the last track meet that was held at alabamas stadium...

JayHok 10 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like we're talking about the same thing. Lowering the playing surface to make the fans be on the edge of the game just like any NFL stadium. That necessitates a need to fill in the dug out (concave area) that connects the old first row to the edge of the playing field. I'm estimating 20,000 seats would fit in that area. Regardless of the number, it's a lot, that's something that just happens on it's own by lowering the field.

I get the feeling Zenger is serious. KU fans can say what they want about if fans will pack a 75,000 stadium or not. But if Weis really gets his passing teams rolling, a new culture will be born here.

And fans like you and I from all over the country will fly back 5 times a year to seethe Hawks play. And the first year when it's not jam packed every game, well 60,000 isn't too shabby. And if Crist is really a Jayhawk, along with a possible #1 wide receiver, why couldn't we get 75,000 a game with all the buzz Weis has started?

Regardless it's a plan that needs to be done. This is the type of stadium we need to do what Weis, Zenger and the fans really want to do.

It would be an absolutely daunting stadium to play in.

RCJ

aviebs51 10 years, 11 months ago

Sorry forgot to mention winning...it was #1...been a rough two years for this jay hawk fan...

sunflower100 10 years, 11 months ago

I was reading the funny conspiracy theory someone posted about KU/ND and re-alignment. I am curious how the Turner Gill hiring fits into this conspiracy theory. Why would ND care one way or the other about Turner Gill. Didn't Gill go to Nebraska that they were the one's ticked at his firing? I recall some statement from that school about that.

As bad as Gill turned out to be as a coach, he was a somewhat hot candidate when he was hired. Just because a guy ends up sucking as a football coach didn't mean at the time he was hired KU was the only school interested in hiring him.

Charles Barkley probably he wishes that he could take this back now, but he was pretty ticked that Auburn didn't hire Gill. In fact, implied it was racism that he wasn't. So I would assume there was at least some interest from Auburn in Turner Gill. Just unforunately it was KU that got stuck with him.

Maracas 10 years, 11 months ago

Weis may need to find more than a QB if the word coming down from the hill about major player transfers and dismissals from the team have any merit.