Originally published December 9, 2011 at 07:30p.m., updated December 10, 2011 at 01:40a.m.

Kansas guard Keena Mays to transfer

Kansas guard Keena Mays (23) drives on IUPUI's Dawn Luster on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University women’s basketball player Keena Mays will transfer from the school at the end of the fall semester, according to head coach Bonnie Henrickson on Friday, Dec. 9, 2011.

“Keena expressed to me her wish to move closer to home,” Henrickson said in a statement released by KU.

“Kansas has been a great experience that I will never forget,” Mays said in the statement. “Despite my memorable time here, I would like to be closer to my family and have decided to leave KU.”

Mays, a sophomore from Arlington, Texas, started her first game of the season Thursday night, scoring a team-high 17 points to lead the Jayhawks over Wisconsin at Allen Fieldhouse.

She had a career-high 21 points in KU’s previous game against Alabama. During her 42 games at KU, Mays averaged 7.9 points and 3.0 rebounds.

KU will host UMKC on Dec. 17.

Comments

Jayhawk1958 10 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully Zenger will make another executive decision and save the women's program.

Code_2008 10 years, 11 months ago

She hasn't really impressed me on the court to be honest. I felt her attitude was always about a "all about me" instead of working with the others.

treed14ku 10 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I mean scoring 17 & 21 pts in her last two games against BCS conference schools is really unimpressive for a sophomore. Especially for a big time women's basketball school who could easily replace her with dozens of other more talented players. Note that this is sarcasm. Considering how every year Bonnie struggles as the season progresses, her lack of big time recruiting, her handling of Asia Boyd this season and now this; I think it is time to end the Bonnie Ball era.

Eric Dawson 10 years, 11 months ago

Kid couldn't take the public heat Bonnie put on her in the media. C'est la vie...

Sad in a way, as methinks this just may be Bonnie's last season on the Hill unless this version of her team goes places for once.

Eric Dawson 10 years, 11 months ago

My bad, I was thinking of Boyd... my apologies, Keena!

bluzhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

I have followed the women since Danielle McCray's freshman year and I thought Thursday nights starting line up with Keena was the best I have ever seen. I will miss you Keena. Good luck.

seagull 10 years, 11 months ago

Just how many of Bonnie's recruits have transferred? Seems like a very high number. One has to wonder what's going on. Too bad about the latest. She did so well the other night, her first start, and then to immediately announce she's transferring?????

TheGiftedOne 10 years, 11 months ago

This is devastating news for the womens basketball program. Keena was not only the most physically talented player on the team she was also already the best offensive player. This is sad for me as a close fan of the team because Keena could of been one of our best players for the next three years. Just another example of Bonnie pushing the talented players away....Asia Boyd will probly do this at the end of the year too. Just sad for KU athletics...Keena was a baller and will truly be missed. Please Keena...rethink your decision!!!

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 11 months ago

Not even going to complete the season? Maybe you can infer things about the program, but you can certainly conclude that it relects pretty poorly on the kid's maturity level, to put it very mildly.

Rock Chalk 'real' Jayhawks!

like_n_Lawrence 10 years, 11 months ago

You have got to be kidding me! What player just leaves at the end of a Fall semester just to be closer to home when you have a starting position on a Division 1 basketball team? This is total BS. AND BONNIE, play Boyd or she will bolt too. If she isn't playing as a "team member", then someone is not doing a very good job in the coaching department. I'm so sick of this crap.

like_n_Lawrence 10 years, 11 months ago

Jeff Bandle 10 years, 11 months ago

Wow, this is such a shock. We've been regular season ticket holders for the women's games for years and this year's team with Keena looked to finally get over the hump regarding the NCAAs. I can't for the life of me understand what drove Keena to make this decision. Bonnie can't afford to be losing players like this and if the Boyd girl leaves, than Bonnie's days in Lawrence are numbered. I am so disappointed. Hopefully the other players on the team will step it up and take up the slack.

Kansas1241 10 years, 11 months ago

Irrelevant...when more students show up at 6:00am on Wednesday morning for the Ohio State lottery than the women's games get in overall attendance it's pretty pathetic!

Jeff Barclay 10 years, 11 months ago

I love listening to Coach H talk, but I have always had a feeling her BBall jargon is almost impossible for players to understand what the heck she is talking about. And sadly, since such a highly paid, high profile coach hasn't been able to produce a winner in a basketball crazy town, I am wondering if she simply has a great memory and is only able to memorize every imaginable basketball coaching and analysis phrase already said by someone else, but is incapable of coaching what she is saying.

lurkerhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

I really hope this season isn't already lost. Can we even afford to fire another coach?

rhollinshed 10 years, 11 months ago

We cannot afford not being competitive in the Big 12! Period. Every sport needs to compete or the coach needs to be replaced. The more competitive we are the more money comes to Kansas. Helps academics and KU as a whole. Plus it makes us feel better as true Kansas alumni/fans.

rhollinshed 10 years, 11 months ago

Coach......hit the road Jack! You are next!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 11 months ago

What a change both from the player and the board. It's been amazing that weeks have gone by with out a call for her head, and then we flip the switch.

Steve Jacob 10 years, 11 months ago

I don't know anything about women's basketball, but I have never heard of a starting player transferring/quitting the team during the season. If it's not because of the coach, it's an ill family member.

hawkfan30 10 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for bringing up the possibility of a "family issue" being the reason for the transfer rather than the coach. Since she is a sophomore I would rule out homesickness and the coach especially since she earned a starting position. This really sounds like something is going on with her family and she wants to be there.

If you've ever read anything about Darnell Jackson you know he considered leaving the program when tragedy struck his family.

big12ku 10 years, 11 months ago

Keena Mays, you're awesome! If your leaving KU is what is best for you then so be it. We have enjoyed getting to know you and watching you play. I have no doubt that you will find success in whatever you choose to do. God bless you.

RealFan86 10 years, 11 months ago

It's not a family issue! It's about the coach not knowing how to coach. Mays is one of the best guard and she won't play her! Why waste your talents sitting on the bench? Even the assistant coaches are getting upset for her not playing her.

If you truly knew about the game, you'd know that someone who is in the top 10 nationally for assist can't be a selfish player.

Coach Hendricks is running that program into the ground. Keena isn't the only one who isn't happy and wants out! She lost two people from last year freshmen class and could lose her whole sophomore class! As far as leaving at the middle of the semester why stay and keep sitting on the bench?! Better to transfer now and get accustomed to a new team while everyone is still there.

no_fan 10 years, 11 months ago

I agree totally with RealFan86 and TheGiftedOne. Ever thought HCBH got wind of her wanting to transfer and dangled a carrot in front of Keena in attempt to get her to change her mind. Giving her more minutes these past two games then suddenly placing her in the starting lineup. Make you want to say hmmmm?

like_n_Lawrence 10 years, 11 months ago

The talent on this team is phenomenal. Every single one of these players should be getting good minutes. Why wear out just a few. It's crazy coaching. Unbelievable. Please stay Keena. Don't let her run you out. She will more than likely be gone next year anyway. We need you here in Kansas. All players... Please stay. Have faith in Dr. Zenger. Coach, you are really Screwing this up. How often do you think a head coaching job comes up?

jlw53 10 years, 11 months ago

I used to follow the team and went to all games for many years. Until I met Bonnie. She was so disrespectful to both me and her predecessor that I have refused to go to a game in her era. And will not until she is fired. Long overdue, but I think Zenger knows what to do. I do really support the players and hope for them to win, but Bonnie is simply a very rude and condescending woman and I refuse to support her in any way.

kubiggestfan 10 years, 11 months ago

good luck keena, no one but you know your reason for leaving, but i am sure you made this decision with a heavy heart. dont feel you owe anyone anything, you owe it to yourself to be happy. you are a special young lady and as a fan, i loved your smile then, and i love it now. the excitement you brought to this team for fans to see is memorable. as someone said, once a jayhawk, always a jayhawk. your teammates will miss you, but i am sure they understand . wish you nothing but success wherever the court takes you. you will be missed, but not forgotten.

jayhawker_97 10 years, 11 months ago

Keena is just about to help KU women's bball prog out of bonnie's mess. .. but sometimes you just have to start clean to begin with.. some mess just never go away.