Thursday, August 25, 2011

Former KU guard Ryan Robertson stoked for Paul Pierce’s return

Former Kansas guard Ryan Robertson, above right, was in attendance for KU's exhibition game against Fort Hays State on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2007.

photo

Former Kansas University guard Ryan Robertson lets out a yell after the Jayhawks defeated Missouri, 73-61, in this file photo from 1999 in Robertson's final trip to Columbia, Mo., as a Jayhawk.

Feature

KUSports.com Fan Appreciation Night

You are invited to our KUSports.com fan appreciation BBQ!

Ryan Robertson, who played combo guard at Kansas University from 1995-99, is looking forward to seeing a batch of his former teammates at KU’s Legends of the Phog basketball exhibition game Sept. 24 in Allen Fieldhouse.

He admits to being especially enthused about reconnecting with the most famous of the bunch — future NBA Hall of Famer Paul Pierce.

“Paul promised me in college when he was a sophomore he would buy me a Range Rover if he made it in the NBA. I’m crossing my fingers he’ll have one there for me,” Robertson joked Wednesday.

On a serious note ... Robertson said Boston Celtics forward Pierce is definitely fired up about playing in the 4 p.m., game that is expected to feature most of KU’s 14 current NBA players.

“I’ve heard from Paul, who has been emailing back and forth,” Robertson said of Pierce, currently on a tour of China. “They are coded and short,” he added of the emails. “He’ll say, ‘Are you coming back that weekend?’

‘I want to come back.’

‘I will be there.’

‘See you there.’

“Tell the people anybody who attends will get a free Paul Pierce autograph. I’m kidding. I’m kidding,” Robertson added, laughing.

Allen Fieldhouse figures to be packed for the exhibition on KU’s football bye weekend whether or not the returnees stick around to sign autographs. KU’s Williams Fund officials indicated the phone lines were ringing briskly early Wednesday, the first day fund members in the Hall of Fame, Champion and All-American membership levels as well as KU students could order tickets.

“Anytime you have an opportunity to watch old pros and new pros ... to watch Paul Pierce in Allen again is worth the price of admission ($20 for adults; $10 for students and youth), not to mention raising money for a Jayhawk who died tragically and unexpectedly,” Robertson added of former KU assistant Neil Dougherty. “We’ll have a great time.”

Robertson, who played in one NBA game for the Sacramento Kings in 1999-2000, and also played in Holland, Greece and France before retiring after the 2004-05 season, said he’s not planning on playing in the game.

“I’ve not played professionally for seven years. I can’t compete against the guys coming to that game,” said Robertson, 34-year-old regional sales director for Goldman Sachs in St. Louis. “If they need me to step in, it’d be an honor, a pleasure to play. It’s summer. It’s golf season. Coach (Bill) Self understands that. I’m a golfer,” added Robertson, who is a 3-handicap.

Ryan on Wednesday had news to report on his wife, Andrea, who won the 2010 Mrs. America contest and was first runnerup at the Mrs. World pageant. She won last weekend’s Lake Saint Louis triathlon and, in fact, is a nationally-ranked triathlete competing for Team USA.

“She’s the athlete of the family,” Robertson said.

Notes

• Most of KU’s current NBA players are expected to attend — and compete in the Sept. 24 game. KU’s current pros are: Pierce, Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City), Darrell Arthur (Memphis), Mario Chalmers (Miami), Nick Collison (OKC), Drew Gooden (Milwaukee), Xavier Henry (Memphis), Kirk Hinrich (Atlanta), Darnell Jackson (Sacramento), Marcus Morris (Houston), Markieff Morris (Phoenix), Brandon Rush (Indiana), Josh Selby (Memphis) and Julian Wright (Toronto).

• Gooden and Hinrich likely will not be on hand. Gooden is celebrating his 30th birthday on the day of the game. Also, Hinrich’s wife is due to deliver a baby that weekend.

• No word on whether any of the former Jayhawks now coaching at North Carolina, including Roy Williams, will be on hand.

• Former KU coaches Larry Brown and Ted Owens, who are currently not in coaching, will serve as the honorary coaches

• Ticket sales continue today for KU students and the top levels of the Williams Fund. All remaining Williams Fund membership levels may order tickets starting Aug. 29. The public may purchase tickets starting Sept. 6. Tickets may be ordered via the KU Tickets Office online or by calling 800-34-HAWKS. Parking is free.

Comments

Paul Mitten 10 years, 10 months ago

This real KU fan remembers Ryan as a truly excellent player. I was nine when Ryan and Paul came in as freshmen. I remember when Jacque went down and everyone panicked, but Ryan calmly took over and the team played so well. I always thought he was a truly excellent point guard, could find no faults in his game. He always seemed to make big shots, always seemed calm and in control. He was a good one.

When Jeff came and took over as starting PG, I was livid! I mean, Jeff was clearly a superior scorer but I did not like him as the ball handler. But with Ryan being the consummate leader, the team was still competitive. He was also money from the FT line that year. I will always remember his final game as a Jayhawk. Earlier that season, Kentucky had embarrassed Kansas in a blowout. In the tournament, Kentucky prevailed in OT but Ryan turned in a 31-point performance, a career high, I believe. What a great game. It's easily one of the most clutch tournament performances we've seen in the past 15 years or so of KU basketball. It was the one bright spot in those couple of down years because Chenowith and Gregory weren't exactly easy to cheer for at times.

When Ryan graduated, I pretty much figured that was the end of KU basketball as I knew it. I was young! Little did I know that the third consecutive great white combo guard, Captain Kirk, would be the best one of them all, and that Jeff would become a great player in his own right. But man, Ryan was a great Jayhawk. Whenever I think the basketball program might be hitting a bit of a lull, I think back to Ryan's senior year and remember that even when my beloved Jayhawks lost a few more games than I would like, people like Ryan always made me want to watch KU basketball and proudly call myself a fan.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

man.....you could have done just fine without using the word "white".

Michael Luby 10 years, 10 months ago

Dood, there's nothing wrong with saying it how he did. "great white combo guard" Its true. Its not a burn or a racist statement. I mean lots of people call Kobe Bryant the Black Mamba... is that sposed to be a racist statement just because he is black and he is a killer out there on the court? No.

waywardJay 10 years, 10 months ago

They don't call Kobe the black mamba because he's african American..... He's the black Mamba because at one point he was the most deadly Shooting guard in the league, faster than most of his opponents. and could shoot over them when they hedged......

Now, If Ryan Robertson was a Shark, then Great White might be applicable.... Or If he was an 80's hair metal band... But I digress.

Hurinfan 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree. It might not be a racist statement but it doesn't add and it simply brings attention to the subject. Calls attention to an insignificant detail and pushes forward the idea that race has any influence on ability.

Paul Mitten 10 years, 10 months ago

Oh, come on. You couldn't help but notice that we had three great white combo guards in a row. It was kind of like the whole Ostertag - Pollard - Lafrentz - Chenowith - Collison thing, except one of those just named is not like the other.

hawk316 10 years, 10 months ago

honey (forgive me if I'm being too familiar), I, too, enjoyed Ryan's "game." He really saved our bacon the year Jacque Vaughn went down. And, as I recall, just a freshman when he did so. Quite a performance.

lincase 10 years, 10 months ago

I still recall his response when he was asked how he felt about stepping in when Jacque was injured. He said he felt like a kid who had been given permission to drive his father's very expensive and very fast car: he was going to have a lot of fun, but he knew he would have to be really careful. Let's not forget that he was also an Academic All- American.

JayHok 10 years, 10 months ago

In the link above Paul Pierce vs. Michael Jordan analysis going on. The context is Carolina all-time team vs. Kansas all-time. Pierce has been a shoe in on the all-time team. However I hadn't considered the defensive side of this until reading the posts by Jaybate, 100, Oakville and Bennybob. It's worth a look and it's nice to know we're unbeatable when we think Self-defense first, lol.

funkitect 10 years, 10 months ago

sorry, just had to repeat this... a 3 handicap? damn!

bad_dog 10 years, 10 months ago

3 handicap is great, but married to 2010 Mrs. America is a pretty nice way to roll IMHO.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 10 months ago

As much as I'm impressed w/the 3 handicap, Andrea Robertson is even more impressive. Ryan is enjoying life.

jlvlawrence 10 years, 10 months ago

i hope that selby does make a return to the field house. i hope that our fans at the game are kind to him as well. he is after all, a jayhawk, like him or not.

Lindsey Buscher 10 years, 10 months ago

"...future NBA Hall of Famer Paul Pierce."

Can't really argue with that but it still seems a little presumptuous.

Dee Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

Look at his numbers buddy. Third all time scorer in Celtics history. Yes he is a Hall of Famer for sure. No doubt. I am not sure why it is so hard for people to recognize Paul Pierce as one of the best all time Celtics. Numbers don't lie.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, this really is a no doubter at this point. Unless it's revealed that he's a cyborg or played with NBA Jam computer assistance turned on, he is absolutely in the Hall.

waywardJay 10 years, 10 months ago

It would be rare for a Celtic's Ring of Honor guy to NOT be enshrined... and Paul should be a lock there....

Still tickles me he was from the shadows of the Forum....

Chris Bruning 10 years, 10 months ago

also if Roy were to show up, I hope the fans give him a nice response also.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

While I agree with the sentiment, I believe there is currently a negative 4000% chance Roy shows up (margin of error +/- 3%).

Dee Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

The two players that are on Roy Williams staff is C.B. McGrath and Jerod Haasse. I am not sure why they wouldn't come. For Roy coming, again I am not sure why he wouldn't. Just a month ago Bill Self went back to Illinois for there alumni game. Get over it. It's in the past. Roy Williams spent 15 years here as our coach. For all that Roy did for this program I am amazed that they still have not recognized him for all he did. Heck during the video they show before announcing the KU players showing the history of KU not one video clip is shown of Roy. Amazing. Oh yeah if we show Roy that could hurt us in recruiting. Yeah right.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 10 months ago

I too think that Roy should be extended an invite, and its one that he should accept if for no other reason than to support a fundraiser in honor of one of his former assistants.

Pitthawk34 10 years, 10 months ago

Agreed with everything...Unfortunately there are KU fans that are so ignorant they still cant come to recognize that KU Basketball was here before Roy and proceeded without Roy. Meaning... when they boo and act like immature inbred fans they are so disrespecting Bill Self and our current program. Its time to start calling out these so called fans and start putting them in their place in public situations when they feel the need to Boo at a man that made a mistake. That was to love KU so much it was hard for him to leave to go home the first go around. I think it all worked out pretty well.

waywardJay 10 years, 10 months ago

I just don't see a reason to divide the fan base by sending him an Invite until after he's retired. It's not like there is any reason to despise him, anymore. We got our revenge, and we got to see him with that insane Jayhawk Sticker.

But at a Game Wayne Simien is likely to attend, and a game Keith Langford and Aaron Miles could play in.... I think it would be a slap in THEIR face to bring Back Roy.... I still wonder what Wayne would have been able to do those last two seasons with two functioning shoulders ( Thanks, Roy. )

Tam Bui 10 years, 10 months ago

You lucky hawks that are in town should be as excited as I am for you! I think it's an extremely rare opportunity to see all of these high quality players of KU in AFH at the same time.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 10 months ago

Ryan Robertson was one of my favorite point guards to play for KU. I got his autograph on a sports magazine cover and is hanging on my KU room in the basement.

Good luck to Kirk Heinrich's wife delivering her baby---needs to be a "baby boy Jayhawk!"

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

This has been asked on other articles by us fans, but is this being televised or broadcast on the web?

Even a post event DVD would be nice to have and just think of all the money it could raise for the Boys and Girls club of Lawrence???????????

Kyle Rohde 10 years, 10 months ago

"Most of KU's current players will be playing" - well, 1/7 of them are not (Hinrich and Gooden) and I'd be really surprised to see Henry and Selby show up. Looks like a 5 on 5 scrimmage unless they get some other local guys like Simien, Boschee, Hawkins, Niang, etc. to play.

JayDocMD 10 years, 10 months ago

Looking at that top photo, I can't help but remember that with great power comes great responsibility.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Good call JayDoc - I kept looking at that picture and I knew it was either Spiderman or a West Point cadet.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 10 months ago

WOW!!! Do yourselves a favor and google up Andrea Robertson. What a pretty lady

Mike Kendall 10 years, 10 months ago

Oakville---

I did just that----wow! Unbelievable. You come home to her every night. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Mrs. Robertson!!!!!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm guessing he doesn't kick her out of bed for eatin' crackers.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

It's just a shame that the sash doesn't say Mrs. Kansas, instead of that other bad word.

Ok - I'm over it now.

baldwinjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Ryan's wife is hot! I like in her bio for the the mrs missouri pageant how they state she was an MU graduate and Ryan played pro basketball in europe. They wouldn't even print that he was a KU graduate..lol typical

lv_jhwk 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, after those two the program hasn't put squat into The League!! Oh, wait...

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Bill Mahr's New Rule for Ryan:

Thou shalt covet thy neighbor's wife, but not try to beat her at wind sprints.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Hinrich, I think the answer is clear: a scheduled c-section the week before. And if not, come on, you can see your kid for the rest of your life, but this game only comes around once!

Seriously, though, good luck with the baby. Absolutely nothing better in this world than the feeling on that day.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

"Some Sponsors for the Legends Game"

Kama Sutra Geritol