Saturday, April 2, 2011

Report links Morris twins to agent

Kansas University’s Morris twins are one step closer to declaring for the NBA Draft.

Yahoo! Sports NBA reporter Marc Spears reported Friday that juniors Marcus and Markieff Morris met with aspiring agent Jason Martin in Beverly Hills, Calif., earlier this week.

Spears’ sources say Martin “treated the twins to a night of entertainment Thursday at the Eden nightclub in Hollywood.”

If the twins had any expenses paid for by a prospective agent, they’d be ineligible to play at KU next season. It’s OK for players to speak with agents and/or runners as long as they accept no benefits.

“I’ve heard the same things being reported about the twins, that they are in L.A., but I have not visited with them. I am not aware of them being in L.A.,” KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World on Friday.

“I met with the team on Tuesday, and they knew I would be in Houston (for Final Four activities). I said I would talk to them next week.”

Several sources have spotted the twins in California this week. According to Yahoo!Sports, Martin has no current NBA players as clients. Yahoo says Martin is “being aggressive on the scene. His eyes are also on Colorado guard Alec Burks, Baylor forward Perry Jones and Texas forward Jordan Hamilton, according to sources.”

An announcement is expected sometime next week after the twins speak with Self. Self had no comment on what day the twins would make the decision on their futures known. Players have until April 25 to declare for the draft.

The twins are considered locks to be first-round picks. Marcus currently is projected to be taken No. 17 in the first round and Markieff No. 23 in the 2011 draft by draftexpress.com.

Reed honored: KU senior guard Tyrel Reed was named first-team All-America by the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award committee Friday and was recognized on open practice day at the Final Four in Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Jimmer Fredette of Brigham Young was named the Senior CLASS Award winner.

The award, chosen by a nationwide vote of Div. I head coaches, national media and fans, is presented to the most outstanding senior student-athlete in NCAA Div. I men’s basketball. To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Div. I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – community, classroom, character and competition.

Reed dominated the fan voting for the award, garnering more than 32 percent of the fan votes among the 10 finalists.

Reed is the winningest player in KU history with a 132-17 record in his four seasons in Lawrence. First-team members: Fredette; Reed; Devon Beitzel, Northern Colorado; David Lighty, Ohio State; and E’Twaun Moore, Purdue. Second-team: Dodie Dunson, Bradley; Matt Howard, Butler; Cameron Jones, Northern Arizona; Jon Leuer, Wisconsin; and Kyle Singler, Duke.

Daniels to visit Duke: DeAndre Daniels, a 6-foot-8 senior from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., will visit Duke on April 15, Rivals.com reports. He’s also considering KU, Texas and Kentucky.

Comments

100 11 years, 8 months ago

Sorry to change the topic on final four day. But this is a major major UK violation. We are talking impermissable phone calls for the purposes of gaining blue chips. Cousins for one. Perhaps many from this year's team were contacted by this guy. LJ Rose a 2012 recruit who Self & Calipari are both after, also was quoted as saying this UK assistant coach contacted him before he was fired (for rebounding basketballs, which is what they reported to the NCAA, nothing about phone calls)

Chris Shaw 11 years, 8 months ago

100: Honestly, this is a secondary violation. Kentucky self-reported the violation so IMO this isn't going to be anything that brings down Calipari in the future.

hawksfan08 11 years, 8 months ago

They reported the on court practice. The phone calls were never reported and extra phone calls are a major violation. See Kelvin Sampson.

justinryman 11 years, 8 months ago

They are also saying that Calipari is responsible for letting JayZ into the locker room last weekend, which normally isn't a violation, but since is part owner of an NBA team there could be repercussions. The NBA is already looking into JayZ for this violation, now for the NCAA to step in.

100 11 years, 8 months ago

@Kushaw...

UK reported that this noncountable assistant UK coach was caught rebounding for UK players. This is contact. It is a minor violation & was reported.

The part that wasn't reported was that this assistant coach had made thousands of impermissable phone calls & texts to prospective Calipari players at Memphis & Kentucky. This is new news and a major infraction.

Cousins was quoted as saying he spoke to this coach all the time before signing with Calipari. Rose, a 2012 point guard recruit Self & Cal are both after was quoted saying the same thing (this quote came days after UK fired him for rebounding infraction).

These phone calls are the same type of thing Sampson got in trouble for. There's no telling how many recruits Kentucky & Memphis got with Calipari's dirty guy.

This is major. And UK didn't report it (yet).

Steve Brown 11 years, 8 months ago

I saw the pix of Jay Z in KY locker room, unless it is photo shopped, not good for KY as NBA owners and NBA partial owners are barred from college kids and teams.

What about the NBA European pro center practicing with KY that the team said made them tougher this season will that be looked over.

100 11 years, 8 months ago

Shaw..

The other thing about having a noncountable coach like this on contract (which Calipari did for a few years at Memphis and one at UK) is that he has direct contact with Calipari every day & can carry out Calipari's wishes.

If he makes one phone call, he can make thousands. The reason is the following; none of this has to be documented, because the noncountable assistant isn't supposed to have any contact with current players or prospects.

This is Kelvin Sampson stuff. John Calipari is giving his non countable coach the gun & the amo. His non countable coach pulls the trigger.

If this isn't a recruiting advantage, I've never seen one.

It's like having a booster able to visit & call any of your prospective recruits anytime you want & again, it's not documented.

Do you really think this is minor?

Did you see what Rose (version 2012) & Cousins said?

You do know what UK reported?

They said he was caught rebounding.

That's all.

Rock Chalk Shaw, enjoy the Final 4

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 8 months ago

Make that money! Except you might have to wait until feb to get a pay check.

quigley 11 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, I am still burned by our loss last week but think about it. Are these two good players? Sure. Are they as physically gifted as say Drew Gooden or Julian Wright? Hell no. See how good those guys are doing in the league these days. Do yourselves a favor and stay in school one more year. I would have been fine if you have left after actually winning a big one. Damn it I am still venting.

JayHok 11 years, 8 months ago

The human story to Marcus and Markief belongs together for one more year.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 8 months ago

I always liked Julian but he wasn't ready to leave and his performance in the NBA shows it. The twins on the other hand are ready. Although another year w/Manning is always good, these guys are ready and I think will find success at the next level.

ziwrichards 11 years, 8 months ago

julian would have fell in the draft the longer he stayed in school. he got the big payday by leaving early.

Gregor Southard 11 years, 8 months ago

careful, I had several people blasting me the other day for suggesting the twins were NBA ready..

Horace 11 years, 8 months ago

You mean his performance in making $3,800,000.00 dollars this year? I'm sure he was quite ready for that.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 8 months ago

Horace..honestly, this is just my opinion. Maybe Julian has a career ending injury if he stayed. I saw earlier this year where Toronto gave him a 4 yr deal with the 1st two years he is guaranteed somewhere between 6-7 million. He is set for life..not bad for someone who averages under 4 points per game and less than 3 rebounds. Same w/TRob, I completely understand his reasons for leaving if he goes but I think one more year w/Manning would benefit him in the long run.

doctorWho 11 years, 8 months ago

Morris Twins >>> Julian Wright. Wright is not built for the NBA.

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about with Gooden. The guy has had a good 9-year run in the NBA - about twice the average - and has had quite a pay day; his current 5-year contract is for $7M a year. More than he was worth, that's for sure. There are way more Gooden-like palyers in the NBA than there are Bryant-like players and they are all making good money.

I'll agree Gooden is probably better than either Morris twin, but that doesn't mean they aren't as ready as they will ever be for the NBA.

hawksince51 11 years, 8 months ago

The Twins are gone and well they should be if they are assured first round. I'm sure Marcus is although iffy on Kieff. Just too much money to pass up. I rate Marcus every bit as good as Gooden and well ahead of Wright. Gooden has had a good career in the NBA--not great, but good. Wright, not so much but he was one of those dumb picks on potential that the NBA insists on doing every year. Frankly, I never saw his potential since he was too small to play the 4 and could not shoot well enough to play the 3. But, I never blamed him for taking the money and have always felt Julian's leaving helped us win the 2008 NC by opening things up for DJ to blossom.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 11 years, 8 months ago

I can totally understand if they want to go to the NBA. They will be nice role-players, probably have a quiet career and then retire someday.

But if they had one more year as a Jayhawk.....they sure could erase the bad taste in their mouths from UNI & VCU.

Redeem yourselves, men! Come back and finish your quest! You can still be legends......

JayHok 11 years, 8 months ago

Fellow Jayhawks: for all of you fried Calamari fans, here you are. Reported by Kentucky as a minor violation. Reported by Fox Sports as this:

Like 100 said above how many players on this year's fried Calamari's were contacted by this UK assistant's phone? Another thing. With Cousins' quotes does this mean the 2010 UK season will be vacated?

Adam Evans 11 years, 8 months ago

This will not force any vacated wins. Oklahoma didn't lose wins. Reason is because there were no ineligible players playing. They were all eligible (as far as we know right now), so the wins will count. However, as always, Calipari found a way to break the rules to his advantage without it being pinned on him. I have a feeling though, that it will directly reflect on him and if it keeps up he's out.

JRandall 11 years, 8 months ago

Their done if this story is true. You know if this agent took them out of the town, then he paid for food and drinks.... that is all that is required to make them ineligible. I guess the part of the story that gets me... is they did not bother to tell Coach Self they were going? C'mon, Coach Self whether u agree with his coaching style or not, has always had the back of his players.. especially the twins. I wish they would have respected him more... IF this story is true. Best of luck, they need more time to develop.

lee3022 11 years, 8 months ago

The story may not be accurate (as you say - a big "if". There will be questions about the source of their plane tickets and expenses throughout the trip. It is curious that coach Self was not aware and that this is an inexperienced agent. The source of the story is likely the agent to appear to be qualified and a hot commodity.

Hank Cross 11 years, 8 months ago

JRandall is right. There is no doubt the agent at least bought them a drink. Even if they were to come back next year, there would be an NCAA witch-hunt regarding this contact that would void any wins and titles. At this point it is time to say goodbye and thank you to the Morrii.

basketball122009 11 years, 8 months ago

agree jrandall i couldn't believe they would tell coach self either

Kye Clark 11 years, 8 months ago

Crap.

If the Twins want to go, they should go and I wish them luck. However this story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They should have stuck around and let Coach Self gather information for them, as opposed to going out to California and getting wined and dined. I'm sure that has tons of appeal. But how about if they get drafted by Milwaukee? Or Minnesota? Not quite the same as Beverly Hills. It just reeks of sleazy agent tactics. Coach Self has always done right by his players in advising them whether or not to make the jump or not. Just a really poor way to go about doing this.

JRandall 11 years, 8 months ago

I feel the same way guy. Kind of feel betrayed for some strange reason. Jayhawk nation stood behind these 2 through all the bad press / character issue questions and accusations. Coach Self had their backs all the time, even when he probably should have knocked some sense into them... and they do this to say thanks KU? Onward and Upwards now!

Ron Franklin 11 years, 8 months ago

Anybody remember how Paul Pierce left the program. That left a bad taste in my mouth....til this day.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 8 months ago

I remember..that season ended bad in every way...but I think Pierce could have left a season earlier after the 97 season. He played 3 years when most would have left sooner.

Steve Gantz 11 years, 8 months ago

Hey, what's wrong with Milwaukee! (from WisconsinSoxfan83)! Minnesota, I agree!

tydon27 11 years, 8 months ago

If they decide to leave good luck but if they haven't quite made up their minds yet let us hope their being smart about this trip to california. Don't take anything unless your sure your going pro so they are still elegable for next year. From the look of it they are prolly going pro.

drwho127 11 years, 8 months ago

Regards to recruiting, Deandre Daniels is visiting Duke weekend of April 15th. Coach Self said we need to hit a homerun in recruiting. Two players we need to get for sure are Daniels and McClemore.

drwho127 11 years, 8 months ago

In terms of McDonalds All-Americans, KU has dropped off lately in getting these recruits. I was kind of bummed watching the McDonalds All-star game and see all these kids going to Kentucky, Duke, UNC and other schools. Last year, KU only had one in Selby. We kind of had a drop off last few years but hopefully we can finish strong this year and get Perry Ellis in 2012!!

RockChalk1225 11 years, 8 months ago

In light of our recent failures, I am somewhat done with the highly touted kids out of high school. I am starting to think you need a couple 5 stars and a handful of kids who will come in and play for the school and not themselves. Is it possible we had too much talent (I used to hate when people would say this, but maybe its true)? We are getting beat by kids that are hungrier than our future pros and that is disappointing to watch.

lee3022 11 years, 8 months ago

I do agree that the highly touted kids are not always winners. But I also do not think that has contributed to our losses. Coach Self seems to get the kids he recruits to buy in to the team first approach. But there is a fear factor in taking the big shots in a critical game. Brady declined to take them. Ty could not make them. Josh was simply a freshman with insufficient game experience.

I do think the Coach will continue to field good to great teams with 4 stars and even walk-ons.

Jarod DeLozier 11 years, 8 months ago

Daniels is going to Duke. You can book it. We're going to be hurting in the Bigs department next year.

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 8 months ago

I would hate to lose this kid to Duke...I thought we had him back in Jan. Guess things didn't work out.

JRandall 11 years, 8 months ago

IF this story is TRUE & they're in LA with this agent. I wish them all the best but I hope that they leave KU, make the announcement ASAP, so Self can go after the horses we will need.

PLEASE M&M do not come back to KU (IF this story is true)... it would be another Josh Selby ordeal. Coach would have to hold them out until the investigation of the trip was over, more distractions for the team.. and honestly, more bad press for KU BBall and the program

Best of luck to both of you, thanks for the hard play and all... Just kind of got a bad taste now and tired of all the bone head decisions that this team has made. Ready for a fresh start. RCJH

JayhawkRock 11 years, 8 months ago

I could be wrong but I believe the comment about the Morris twins going out on the town with Martin was later taken back. I dont think they went out with Martin to any clubs for drinks.

They havent signed anything yet. But unfortunately for us this is just the tip of the iceberg. Thomas Robinson is leaving as well. And with that I wouldnt be shocked if Tyshawn and Selby decide to hit the road as well.

Kevin Studer 11 years, 8 months ago

Why all the Morris bashing? The gave us 3 good years (more than can be said about many Jayhawks). Good luck, men, it was great to watch!

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

~Self wanted to know ASAP, if they were going. The Twins went to LA to find out if they were going. Nothing is wrong with this picture.

~Daniels to UK 4.15.11: Duke with Daniels has critical mass for a run. KU with Daniels depends. Robinson and Selby have to come back for critical mass. Not much chance both will. That seems the end of Daniels and KU.

~Self's Dark Circles: I keep remembering those dark circles under Self's eyes at his most recent press conference and how I don't recall seeing those before, even after bad losses.

~Dark Circles from Departures: Consider Self's comment he has to hit a home run recruiting soon. Add he usually tells the truth as he sees it without giving the full details of why that reveal why he is saying what he is saying. Add a board rat saying Maeshon is moving out of Lawrence. Add Twins in LA. Add Daniels going to Duke for a look at a program with critical mass for a ring next season, if he joins them. Add Thomas Robinson not doing the obvious thing, given his level of development, and saying he is coming back. Inference: Self may have dark circles from a perfect storm emerging regarding departures. Twins, Robinson, and Selby are probably leaving. Robinson and Selby have just had injuries that make injury risk real to them. Robinson needs to provide for himself and his sister. Selby was never planning on staying and his brief uninjured performances still support taking him early.

~Dark Circles from 2011-2012 Schedule Given Departures: KU starts in Maui in a field with Duke, Georgetown, Memphis, Michigan, UTenn, and UCLA. KU also plays Ohio State, Kentucky and USC. Self probably scheduled next season's giant killer schedule thinking the Twins would probably stay, and if they didn't, Robinson and Withey would be studs developing on schedule and he would have two solid big recruits coming in. Instead, the Twins are probably gone, TRob could be gone, and Withey is starting from scratch again and a ghost of early expectations. So: Self is looking at starting next season 1-5, or more likely 0-6 versus high majors, given an experienced USC finally shapeing up under Kevin O'Neill. Throw in three Ws with three cup cakes, and a probable 2 Ws and 1 L against 3 decent mid majors, and Self is probably looking at starting the conference season with a 5-7 W&L statement.

tydon27 11 years, 8 months ago

Our non conference schedule is a tough one no doubt, but consider that at least duke, ohio state, and kentucky will be dealing with the same things we're going through (a la 2 or three seniors leaving along with their top freshman leaving) and it doesn't seem as bad. Look for next years team to maybe start out the way the 08' title team did as freshman when they played in the preseason tournament depending on if everyone leaves.

lee3022 11 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps if you took off those rose colored glasses you would not be so optimistic about next year. Try as you do you will not convince yourself that the national championship is all but in the bag,

(P.S. You missed the likelihood of major injuries next year,)

tydon27 11 years, 8 months ago

Not saying this team will win the national championship. Im referring to jaybates comments about the tough schedule and if the players leave early the start could resemble that of chalmers, rush, and aurthurs freshman year.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

~Conference Schedule Probably Tougher: KU loses 4 pretty certain Ws with CU and NU leaving. KU replaces those with home and homes with the southern division schools, which have been bigger challenges of late. Add Gillispie getting TTech back competing, Hoiberg adding some talent at ISU, and Turg continuing to build at TAM and this will be a tougher conference for KU. OSU might get better. OU has to get better getting rid of Capel. And though people love Anderson, MU will probably do just as well without him, if it lands a decent coach who plays a conventional style. Baylor will falter with Drew's problems.

~Self's Long Term Paint Problem: most bigs don't become players capable of starting effectively till their sophomore seasons. Most aren't capable of challenging for rings till their junior seasons. Whatever bigs Self brings in this season are apt to be lesser quality bigs that will not really be credible starters until 2, or 3, seasons from now (even if they are forced into starting next season, they will barely hang on as the Twins did their freshman seasons, even with Cole to cling to), or ring challengers for 3, or 4, seasons from now. Self appears to have a good shot at landing some top bigs for the season after next, but that means though they will play the season after next, they will not be ready to start and challenger for rings till 3, or 4seasons from now.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

So: when Self said he has to hit a home run soon, what he meant was this: he has to land some serious talent capable of playing at a high level next season, or Self, and KU fans, are about to get the Billy Donovan/Florida experience; i.e., the 3-4 year rebuilding--not reloading--experience. People love the flashy perimeter guards, and the great wings, and they are necessary to go far, but the foundation of every team rests with the big men. They either have to be superstar freshman, or they have to be experienced sophomores, or juniors. This is law in the age of XTReme Muscle/Cheap Shotting/Tripping. and now too Shaka Smart's XTReme Conditioning.

Self got caught between a rock and a hard place, as most highly successful coaches eventually do.

Too much big man talent for three seasons to recruit more than one or two big men, and then TRob left early and Withey did not pan out as planned.

Miss even a season without adding one big and sooner or later it comes back to bite you.

~Is KU totally screwed? Not if Self can hit a home run. But as hitters quickly learn. The best way to hit home runs is to wait for the right pitch and swing normally. There does not seem to be a right pitch among the bigs that remain available--not one that can start and dominate beginning in Maui.

Whatever talent Self has next year, he will get a lot out of it. But next year could be the first year in a long time that he lacks the critical mass of talent needed in the paint...unless Withey surprises everyone. One big, dominant footer can make up for a multitude of recruiting sins, especially with the kind of talent he has coming back on the perimeter.

mojayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Did you say Daniels to UK on 4/15? I hadn't heard that. I thought maybe you meant Duke.

Ron Franklin 11 years, 8 months ago

Not only is she moving out of town in June, she is bailing on a lease that was contracted to Tyshawn's mom. This is info I got standing right in Maeshon's front yard about a month ago. Things can change though.

SaulGood 11 years, 8 months ago

Excellent plow-through as usual, Jaybate. My thoughts turn to the field at Maui and I'm finally getting my wish for a stiff non-con. VCU had 11 losses and obviously learned from every one of them, and I have absolutely zero problems wincing through a series of losses, as I will wear the Crimson and Blue through tornado and schizophrenic Kansas weather changes. Also agree with your comment about recruiting bigs. The nice thing I see is that with all the amazing pieces next year, we might be looking at a Rube Goldberg contraption of a team next year, but Self will put together something that'll open the door in the end, no matter how many candles, marble runs, old boots, pulleys, levers and chains it takes.

Viggo3003 11 years, 8 months ago

Pretty god points Jaybate. As far as the story I sure hope the twins go with an established agent with a track record and not some flashy new guy who is throwing money around.

I think Self is probably taking a hard look at some Juco transfers as well due to the situation at hand. Should be interesting to watch this play out.

Joe Baker 11 years, 8 months ago

Viggo- We were the leading program for Stan Simpson 6-10, 230lbs from a Chicago juco college. Self has developed a strong recruiting pipeline in the Chicago area. Apparently, Calisleazy decided he wanted to compete against Self so he has really went hard for Simpson too. We are also recruiting Braedon Anderson 6-8, 220lbs from Missouri. We were also the leading program on this kid and he has said that if the Twins leave for the NBA, he will commit to KU. He really likes KU and believes they will be the best coaching and team for his development. However, once again, Calisleazy is also bribing him to uk. Every player we recruit, Cal seems to have some interesting way to out recruit Self. I think he's still sore after that '08 loss. He is also hitting Ellis hard and heavy, even though Self was on Ellis way before Cal even came into the picture. I'm telling you that Coach Sleeze has a personal vendetta against Self. I guarantee you he is using every thing in his arsenal to not only get recruits, but beat Self again and again on these top recruits. Otto Porter 6-9 225lbs from Missouri was thinking mizzou but since Anderson left, he is leaning KU. I havent heard if Calisleazy is after him yet. Simpson and Anderson were pretty much KU, as is Daniels, but Calasleazy is sure doing something to get these kids. Christian Garrett will be the deciding factor to get Daniels.

This recruiting thing is getting personal.

Joe Baker 11 years, 8 months ago

Actually, uk pulled their offer to Daniels. But Dook came into the picture late for Daniels. I'm sure Coach K is doing a bang up job recruiting Daniels. As I said, regardless, Garrett will hopefully go a long way to bring Daniels to KU in the end. Also, don't forget either, TRob and Tharpe are very close.

Joe Baker 11 years, 8 months ago

I also slipped with Anderson, he's from Canada, not Missouri.

Joseph Kuebel 11 years, 8 months ago

At some point- these platers will realie that UK isn't the sexiest choice. This coming from Cali bar mouths..."WE KNOW CALIPARI IS GONNA BE PAYING/PLAYING HIS 18 YEAR OLDS".PARTICULARLY THE JUCO GUYS SHD KNOW THIS....

Viggo3003 11 years, 8 months ago

Ooops I meant good points not god, maybe that was a Freudian slip since I was talking about Jaybate :)

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Flattery will get you everywhere. :-)

Chris Shaw 11 years, 8 months ago

Somebody posted this on another forum, but I thought it was funny. Gary Parrish tweeted that a reporter during a Final 4 press conference asked Calipari, "So what's it like to coach in your first Final 4?"

Pretty funny if you ask me. I guess Calipari was not amused. Why can't we get that on ESPN or see video of that?

FLJHK 11 years, 8 months ago

While none of us are likely known for patience, I think some is called for here. Too much speculation. We don't know anything for certain yet.

If the twins do leave we owe them nothing less than our thanks and our blessings.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

njjayhawk,

Some times someone says something exactly right, right words, right order, right meaning, right tone, right everything, and it reminds me how powerful language speaking truth can be. Great post.

I hadn't heard Unibrow got the OU job.

Indeed, adding Unibrow and Billy Gillispie has made the conference a whole lot tougher. And all for the better, too.

Glad for Kruger he got out of Vegas. He has always deserved better than that job.

REHawk 11 years, 8 months ago

FOE. Essentially, what does that boil down to?

mojayhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

It means they have to take care of their own families first, as you or I would. They've earned it!

Ron Franklin 11 years, 8 months ago

Darnell was not D-Block when he arrived at KU.

Sasha was not a pro when he got to KU.

'Cus & 'Kief were not the Twin Tower Powers before they got to KU.

Withey will not be Withey in two years.

Anything Manning touches turns to Gold.

The next Big, will become the Next Big Thing.

Just like always.

thomc6 11 years, 8 months ago

So KU may be reverting back to the pattern seen during Roy's tenure?

Ron Franklin 11 years, 8 months ago

Today, my Mom would be 62. Sunday, I will be 28.

This weekend, I Wish the Hawks would have blessed me with more to celebrate.

Oh well, I guess I still have the Royals game!!!

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 8 months ago

Happy 28th...maybe Self will hit one of those long balls this weekend.

kkoenig 11 years, 8 months ago

BlownJay - hope you got to tell her how you felt about her. Chin up & keep the good posts coming.

JRandall 11 years, 8 months ago

It does sound kind of sleazy, but hey.. players know what the rules are and just have to make up their own minds. With the internet and all the pubicity of "improper benefits".. all players of all sports know what is and what isn't okay. No big deal, but lets not blame the agent for all of this. These kids are old enough and educated enough to make their decisions.

lee3022 11 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps it is prudent not to take "sources" as gospel. The twins will announce when they are ready to tell us. At this point nothing is set or believable.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

Chances are the story is false, or misrepresenting the facts.

Regardless, in this day and age, if they want to stay, they can stay inspite of it. The NCAA needs marquis players badly.

To wit: nothing, but nothing slows UK and Cal down. Can't read? Don't take the SATs? Don't have the high school grades? Don't go to class at UK? Hired as a graduate assistant when you can't get eligible and haven't graduated? Practice with the team when you aren't allowed to by NCAA? The staff has visits with recruits that violate rules? A coach's virtual assistant, Wild Wild West, a virtual player broker reputedly connecting players on a parallel track from high school/AAU to pros with a pit stop in UK wired in between? No problema!

It would all be he said/they said, without any proof beyond a reasonable doubt, regarding the Twins.

They can come back if they want, but if the top 15 contracts are there, then they go. Lock out is irrelevant. Waiting a year and cruising in with an even more croweded class would be dumb.

tydon27 11 years, 8 months ago

I know we haven't heard what selby is going to do yet but for now let's assume that he is coming back along with taylor and that both the morris twins and t rob leave. I think that coach self will have to tweak the offense this year and become more guard oriented no matter what other big men or wing players we sign. We've got an experienced guard in taylor and a super talented sophomore in selby looking to show that this year was just a fluke season. Plus we all saw some flashes for releford and ej this season and if they work hard in the off season can step up as well.

Hopefully we do sign at least 1 maybe 2 big men before next year but if we don't we've still got withey who is at least some sort of a presence inside and can provide some offense as well as langfords brother who will be elegible this year, and we also signed zach peters who I've heard is a robinson type player, so the cupboard isn't totally dry.

bradynsdad 11 years, 8 months ago

If the twins leave then best of luck to them. They paid their dues to the ku nation. I am not worried at all about next year. Remember the 08/09 season? We lost all five starters plus kaun and we only lost eight games, won the conference and made a run to the sweet sixteen. As some people love to point out self can't get to the NC but he always finds ways to win.

lee3022 11 years, 8 months ago

Agree except for "As some people love to point out self can't get to the NC but he always finds ways to win." '08 is a very big refutation.

JayhawkLifer 11 years, 8 months ago

FWIW Angel Morris refuted this story, saying the reporters story was inaccurate.

Joe Baker 11 years, 8 months ago

Exactly. Angel wasn't aware and Self said he heard it but wasn't aware of them being in California at this time. It's a stupid rumor and people just aren't happy with the fact that we lost in the Elite 8. They have to throw in a bunch of stupid rumors. It' really funny the lengths haters will go to bring KU into a bad light. I'm really surprised Bedore didn't check the "sources" before even breaking this news. I think Angel would be a pretty good source and Self would definitely be the first to know if they were in LA with an aspiring agent.

Good try haters, better luck next time.

Andrew Dunlap 11 years, 8 months ago

I hope they didn't throw away their eligibilty on a rookie agent! If they are going, they should go with a proven agent. The only thing an agent can do for them at this point is to give them accurate information on their draft status. He would have to be an insider to know this. You don't need an agent for anything else except for getting upfront money. But the kids can go to a bank and get a personal loan for that. I wish them the best. they have been great for the program. I just hope they don'r get screwed on this

justinryman 11 years, 8 months ago

"Morris's decision to have twin impact on KU"

"Will an Angel from above keep twins at KU?"

"Money talks, Morris's walk, Marcus and Markief to enter NBA draft"

"Self improvement, Kansas coach looks for twins replacements."

"Born 7 minutes a part, now living 7 hours apart, Morris Twins drafted on each side of U.S."

and the last headline, "Twins stay! Twins stay!"

Steve Gantz 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm always 5 days behind on my brilliant thoughts, but what about this statement? (sorry this is not related to this story, but wanted to get this out there)

Josh Selby's foolish play at the end of the Richmond game was a precursor to what happened 2 days later.

bradyboy 11 years, 8 months ago

When/if they declare it should be a proud moment for jayhawk nation. Knowing the coaches have done all they could to prepare these individuals for their future. RCJH forever!!!!

Robert Brock 11 years, 8 months ago

If KU loses Robinson and Self is unable to land Daniels, KU may have it's weakest front court as far back as I can remember. Though Daniels is more of a swing man that likes to play on the perimeter, he is a bigger body that can really score and create matchup problems. Without Daniels, Self will sign one or two of the few big men left out there, but expect to see a lot of Releford at the 4 and a lot of 4 guard lineups.

Self got in late and was really fortunate to land the Twins three years ago. He always seems to use his magic touch to come up big with recruits when it seems the chips are down. Maybe he comes up with a transfer, maybe an overlooked senior or juco, but it could be bleak.

Dale Kroening 11 years, 8 months ago

Daniels is 6' 8" 191 pounds, thats not a big body other than being tall and skinny. We also are recruiting 6' 9" sf Porter, 6' 8" pf Anderson, and 6' 8" pf Traylor, as well as sf McClemore, and a 6' 11" 240 pound Juco center Stan Simpson. It looks right now we will sign Anderson and McClemore, the rest are pretty much up in the air. Ive also read we are still recruiting sg Trevor Lacy too. All mentioned above other than Simpson are ESPNU top 100 recruits, so I think we will be just fine no matter who leaves and who we sign. Trust in HCBS, he's pretty good at picking them up late.

Joe Baker 11 years, 8 months ago

Actually after checking ESPN, Lacey not committed but leaning toward either Alabama or Auburn.

stubert 11 years, 8 months ago

which ones are still going to class ? that will answer all yhe questions staying or not staying

Kevin Huffman 11 years, 8 months ago

I think that would point to Taylor staying....back to class that Monday.

Mark Wooden 11 years, 8 months ago

I expect the Morris's and Selby to be gone. If they do great, if they come back great. The KU program is a lot bigger than any of these indivduals or any one individual.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 8 months ago

no one else is reprinting this story....no one. you can't find it anywhere...ESPN....the KC Star gave it scant coverage, well inside its sports edition today.

it's pure speculation....several sources saw the twins....any quotes? any pics? i mean, c'mon. do i know the twins weren't in LA? of course not...but this story gives no evidence that they were.

so they're supposedly in LA? they had to, or still have to, fly back to KC right? you can't find a few of these "sources" to hang out at the Ontario airport, LAX, John Wayne airport...or Burbank to see if they got on a plane? wouldn't be too hard IMO. then you would know....instead of hyping it up.

gchawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Something happened this past week that I want to share with the Jayhawk Nation. A former KU basketball player came to my office this past week, and in the course of our conversation the topic of the message boards came up. I expressed concerns about some of the vile remarks that are posted on the message boards from time to time and asked him if the players do read these boards and he told me that they definitely do. He said it's a lot like a bad wreck, you don't really want to look but human nature takes over and you can't help yourself. I hate the fact that these harsh words actually do have some influence with these young athletes, but the fact remains that they do. Fortunately, they are aware that there are trolls out there whose only purpose is the create anger, hate, and animosity. This is one area of the advancements of electronics that I just abhor, where people can say absolutely mean and nasty things and then hide behind the protection of anonymity. Granted, there are a lot of constructive and encouraging things written, but there is probably more attention given to the negative. I don't have an answer for this problem, primarily because I'm electronically challenged, I just want everyone to know that these boards, for good or bad, do carry some weight. As far as the twins go, I wish for you the very best. If you leave, thanks for the past 3 years, but if you stay, I think next year could be very special.

ilovebill 11 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, gchawk. Just think if some of these things were being said about your own children....

Funhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

It's not just the trolls and mean Jayhawk fans, sometimes its even the website's authors who instigate. Celebrities are targets for the mass media. College basketball players are revenue for non-athletes, including the instigators. Too bad our corporate media does not give us more stories of all the good sport celebrities do for the world. There are a lot of us Jayhawks who come to this site every day yearning for more feel-good stories. If the media does not report those, the "news" is always slanted by acts of omission.

Outside of the mean comments on this website, fellow Jayhawk fans have more positive verbal remarks. What these players accomplish comes from a lot of talent and hard work, more than we will ever know. The majority of us Jayhawk fans have nothing but admiration and respect for our team. The mean Jayhawk "fans" on this website are truly the minority.

Viggo3003 11 years, 8 months ago

Oh please, really, really! Most fans on here are passionate and positive and have opinions, that's why we love sports, sports talk, Jaybate :) and LJW. I think in general the posters keep things on a good keel without the thought police stepping in.

This is the same logic that tries to blame a coach leaving a program on the fact that the fans were too demanding. It comes with the territory, coaches know it, players know it and it's not going to change.

I think Self and the players know they have one of the greatest fan bases out there and are appreciative of us.

gchawk 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure, but I think you interpreted me wrong. Most true fans do have positive remarks, I was merely pointing out that the players do in fact read these boards and are impacted, good and bad, by the remarks.

mispay4ku 11 years, 8 months ago

KU will continue excellence regardless but I’d be happy to keep them. Should they go, I wish them well. I do wish Selby would stay; I just think he could improve…everyone can improve but I think the Morris twins are ready. I’d love to see TRob stay and improve his game, too, but I think F.O.E. especially pertains to him and I’ll totally understand his departure. Always sad to see any of them go but as a loyal fan, it’s time to be supportive of their decisions and wish them the very best.

Michael Auchard 11 years, 8 months ago

Well, thanks for the memories, Morrii. You guys were both fun to watch this year. Next year could have been really special, but I understand how that kind of money can trump everything else. I wish you both amazing success.

I can't say I'm not disappointed, though, but I can relate to your situation. A few million reasons to leave Lawrence, I guess.

I really hope the details in this story are incorrect.

Viggo3003 11 years, 8 months ago

I agree. I found this link on kcstar http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1759 but something seems odd. Maybe they taped a segment for Kansas and one for Missouri and someone is leaking this. I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist but something seems amiss.

David Hodges 11 years, 8 months ago

So this video was filmed along with a second one for MU and somehow got leaked... just a reporter filming a bland commitment piece ahead of the commitment so he can be the first to post a video when it actually happens. And somewhere there are people wearing Memphis 2008 National Championship T-Shirts as well. I think Ben is ours but come on. It's clear in the video this guy is being vague for a reason. We'll find out tomorrow.

Viggo3003 11 years, 8 months ago

Look to the top left of the video, there is another guy filming on a grassy knoll :)

ancient_hawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Back, and to the left....back, and to the left...

massjhawk 11 years, 8 months ago

From ESPN: @KansasSports @ESPN video was contingent upon commitment tomorrow. Accidental post.

Appears that several tapes were made with one to be released depending on McLemore's commitment. Let's hope that this is the tape that they can release tomorrow.

Dan Harris 11 years, 8 months ago

About time! Welcome aboard Ben, your sorely needed next year with all the pending departures!

Darrel Stice 11 years, 8 months ago

Put yourself in these guy's situation. Heck, when I was still in college working toward the degree that would allow me to earn a whopping $27,000 as a first year teacher, I would've JUMPED at the chance to start my career a year or two early in order to have some $$$ come my way. Let's not forget how financially strapped many of these athletes and their families are. I could never blame any person coming from that type of background for being anxious to end their financial troubles forever.

That being said, good luck to those who are leaving and thanks for the awesome memories! It's been great watching you grow and develop, and I'll always root for you! Don't worry about us or the team, we will be back next year ready to watch a whole new group grow and develop into the next beloved Jayhawks!

RCJHGKU!!

Michael Auchard 11 years, 8 months ago

Well, thanks for the memories, Morrii. You guys were both fun to watch this year. Next year could have been really special, but I understand how this kind of money can trump everything else. I wish you both amazing success.

I can't say I'm not disappointed, though, I can relate to your situation. A few million reasons to leave Lawrence, I guess.

I really hope the details in this story are incorrect.

HawkKlaw 11 years, 8 months ago

I hate to say it, but in today's basketball scene, the twins are ready to go pro. They both had spectacular seasons (Marcus got all the accolades, but Markieff's numbers were equally as good). I hope a savvy GM in the NBA can figure out how to get them on the same team, although I realize that's unlikely.

I wish they would stick around and help KU get to a National Championship, but they are deserving of being in the NBA. They were two of the top 5 big men in the country all year long. I can't imagine their draft stock being very much higher next season unless KU did with the National Championship with them.

Let's just hope Bill Self is on the verge of hitting those recruiting home runs that kusports.com has been writing about (ahem...DeAndre Daniels and either Braeden Anderson or Stan Simpson please!).

hawksfan08 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm hoping for the Otto Porter steal now that Anderson is gone from Missouri.

Brian Skelly 11 years, 8 months ago

Maybe its poor judgment on the Morris twins part, but I think we're looking at it from the perspective of them leaving. In my mind thats a foregone conclusion.

For the comparisons of Marcus to previous forwards (Wright, Arthur, Gooden) I'd say he's ahead of Wright and Arthur and probably on par or just shy of Gooden. He's not as athletic as Gooden. But in reality, he's dominated as much if not more than the first two and as much as Gooden. He's ready. Maybe not ready for stardom, but certainly worthy of a spot on an NBA roster. He's got little to gain coming back -- other than from our perspective, another run at a Final Four.

Markieff is a different issue. I dont think he's ready, but he's clearly improved from where he's been. The one advantage Id think he's going to have over Marcus is he wont be changing positions. He's a 4. He's a 4. He's a 4. Marcus is going to be a 3, which really didnt play here. Markieff's biggest asset is he's tough and he'll do the dirty work. I dont see the upside compared to his brother.

Both will get drafted in the 1st round though. The talent pool is shallow this year. Not a lot of overseas hot shots coming over. Compared to the pool here in the US, the Morris twins are near the top of whats available.

I for one wish them luck. Get while the gettings good for them.

hawkhoops 11 years, 8 months ago

I can believe it. The twins bash Coach to other people all the time. They need to realize that everything they say is being heard.

James Findley 11 years, 8 months ago

Peace out! Take your bad attitudes and your technical fouls with you! Thanks for all your hard work though... I really enjoyed watching you guys play this year!

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 8 months ago

ESPN gets it wrong again. Ben McLemore has not made any commitments yet.

KansasComet 11 years, 8 months ago

Morris Twins...It does not matter. Stay or go, I am happy either way. Of course I would love for them to come back. I think they are only tapping into their potential. However, this is a real life decision and I have never met anyone on this earth that can survive without money or having access to it. Bill Self does not coach at Kansas for free. Please don't call me names for saying that. I am only stating the obvious. The point is, if they are ready to be in the grown up world, let them. The Morris Twins have faults, just like the rest of us. How many people on this site have read something that they have not agreed with, and replied by saying "grow up", "you idiot", "moron", "stupid" or some other put down comment only because someone does not share their opinion? This is the United States of America and freedom of speech is a right. Everyone has a right to an opinion. Express your opinion if you have one, but name calling does not prove anything, especially when the majority of us have the same goal and that is to root for the Kansas Jayhawks.

As Jayhawk fans we should take pride in being the birthplace of Basketball. Everyone wants to be KU. Does not matter if they are UCLA, Kentucky, North Carolina, or Duke. Kansas is basketball.

Have you all ever noticed how when Kansas loses a game it is a big deal to the entire sports nation? Texas defeated Kansas this year and immediately became the team to beat. Kansas State won a game against Kansas and immediately they were the hottest team in basketball. VCU was victorious against "Mighty Kansas" and now they are the talk of the nation. This does not happen for any other University. We are Kansas, something to be proud of.

We will be alright, look at the 2008 team, it took 2 years to get that team where it needed to be. We made the Elite 8 in 2007, the next year we won it all! Got the SI Championship Package to prove it! I am hoping there is a pattern here. If the Morris Twins decide to turn pro, then I hope they are in the crowd watching like Julian Wright did, when Kansas won the National Championship.

Don't panic fellow Jayhawk fans, after all "We are Kansas"!

KansasComet 11 years, 8 months ago

Thank you, and I am sure you feel the same way from a lot of your post that I have read.

fansincewilt 11 years, 8 months ago

I understand if they go - hard to pass up that kind of money. The way I see it, though, is that Marcus will go down in KU history as another good player in KU's history just as Cole and Sherron. He will not be remembered as one of the greats. I think he could have been if he had stayed one more year. However, he would probably have to pull off a championship to get that done as he is no Manning or Pierce. Marcus is too much of a spur of the moment guy. He should stick with Self and learn a little more. He is not ready. He does not have the maturity. He is making a big mistake in MHO. If he would listen to Self his life would be greatly enhanced. Not talking to Self is a prime example of who he is. I wish for his sake he would stay but Self will just reload and be fine.

Benjamin Piehler 11 years, 8 months ago

itd be awesome if they stayed; but I doubt anyone is surprised by any of this.

Ben Simonett 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure glad self's got a stable of good recruits coming in to replace these guys.... O wait.

Well, at least there are still alot of good player left that havent signe yet that we could go after..... O yeah.

Well, we still got self and hes a great recruiter, I forgot: http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1207111

get ready for a rebuilding year.

ancient_hawk 11 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I am quite happy that KU and Self aren't turning into "recruit and release" entities ala Calipari.

Ed Brown 11 years, 8 months ago

You can call me stupid after their announcement if you like but here's another perspective. The twins have been literally inseparable from conception and only spent a few minutes apart during delivery. The definitely challenge each other to be better plus cover for each other's mistakes because they have played together for so long. One is great but next year they could both be All American. Would one want to see his jersey retired without the other next to it? Are they ready to shake hands and live separate lives after the semester is over? They both bombed in the tourney last year with incredible talent around them. One bombed this year, one played fair, imho. They could come back, avoid a potential lockout with no pay, no conditioning, no practice and then jump into an abbreviated season, earn a ring, have both jerseys next to each other in the rafters and mature a little bit more and both in the top 5 next year. My glasses are clear and I don't drink. I am usually pessimistic but since my big brother just passed away, I am trying to be optimistic about everything in life.

Flame me if I am wrong, please, so I can have a reality check. :)

Mark Boline 11 years, 8 months ago

Makes a lot of sense to me, but sounds way too likely that they've committed themselves by the interaction with an agent.

Craig Colgin 11 years, 8 months ago

I think Marcus played more than fair, I felt that he played great in the tournament. That's all I have to flame you about :)

KansasComet 11 years, 8 months ago

First of all, sorry for your loss. Secondly, there is a lot to be optimistic about in KU Basketball. 7 straight Conference Titles. Have not had to worry about making the Big Dance for nearly 30 years. Not many schools can say that. I am sure Kansas will put out another fine product next year.

Dave Benjamin 11 years, 8 months ago

Sorry octhawk. See the update posted below the article you attached. McLemore is denying it and ESPN posted the video in error in anticipation of him choosing either or MU.
In response to the Morri, it's probably wise to assume they're gone despite the questionable YahooSports source/story. It would obviously be nice to have them their senior seasons but the draft predictions will be too much to sway them lockout or no lockout. I'm hoping I'm wrong though. Robinson is really the unknown in this thing. His upside is high, but another year with Danny would make this guy a beast. Selby will be in the 2nd round right now at best and Tyshawn's lack of a consistent outside shot/maturity will haunt him in workouts. We'll see. Not to be the eternal optimist but we'll be fine whether or not we land Daniels. Anderson seems legit and Simpson would be a great get. First things first: We get McLemore tomorrow!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 8 months ago

What are these guys doing in LA with some snake agent? They should give their coach enough respect to wait until next week to make any big decisions. He at least has their best interests in mind, as opposed to some wannabe agent taking them out to a night club. These guys have a full compliment of tattoos that express their bad decisions, but sooner or later they're going to need to start using their heads.

FLJHK 11 years, 8 months ago

Wow. Way too many negative comments here today. If their decision is in doubt, I've seen too little here to make me think that many in Jayhawk Nation have their best interests in mind. I wish them the best no matter their decision. Their contribution to the continuation of excellence in KU basketball has been profound. I am very grateful that they chose to be Jayhawks, and thank them for a lot of excitement and great play.

Marcus and Markief: just consider the whole picture, get the best advice you can, and make the decision that is right for you. Kansas basketball will survive and thrive no matter. And frankly, I hope you ignore the advice of me and any others on this site.

RCJH

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

"Watching UConn Beat UK Made It Real How Easily KU Could Have Won a Ring, and Another Season's End So Time Acknowledge Boys 2 Men:"

~Neither UConn, nor UK, play nearly as hard as KU. Neither puts on defensive pressure the way KU does. And KU would have had an answer for every player on either team. I could not believe how slow UConn and UK played. KU looked like lightening compared to those guys. Its been a very long time, since I've seen two teams do as much standing around as UK and UConn.

~The above said, UConn was a very good team, and UK was a very talented AAU team. Cal is just never going to win close games against teams like KU in '08, or UConn this year, in the tournaments with his AAU teams. Talent keeps taking him a long way, but they just can't do anything other than the athletic things talent allows. UConn could jump with them, and UConn's players knew how to work together on the glass to control the boards. UK just never seems to know what to do, once then need more than talent to get it done.

~Selby and EJ would have been great fits for UK. No defense necessary. Just run and jump when a guys shoots. On offense, just stand flat footed on the perimeter, ball comes around, shoot, or drive. Nothing to think about. Nothing to learn but wait your turn. Run wind sprints. It doesn't even look like they work on slides. Really a pitiful way to play basketball and an incredible waste of a year of development going to UK, both for bigs and perimeter players. But if you've got a ton of talent, and you just have to park in D1 for a year, and the L will take you as you are, I can see why the players go there. It is so freaking easy.

~Watching UK play makes me realize what a rocket scientist Self truly is about basketball. If Self had UK's talent and a year to develop it, Self would never lose a game...ever. Calipari is very smart to have figured the current situation in D1 hoops out--to have understood that you could land all this talent by telling players that they just get to coast for a year and play the same AAU ball they have been playing, while WWW works the back channel connections for the shoe contracts in the pros. Cal doesn't even put any demands on them to win rings. Its all just go have fun. Cal's never gonna win a ring unless he meets only teams just like his all the way through the tournament.

~UK and Cal made it close vs. UConn, but that was because UConn with Kemba is basically a carbon copy of KU last year with Sherron. UK had a ton more talent than UConn had. But AAU teams staying close just means they lose a close game to a real team playing with in its normal range with a go to star.

~UConn's problem against Butler is going to be this: Butler is going to play very good team defense on them and hope that Kemba has an off night. If Kemba has an off shooting night, Butler will win. If Kemba has one of his good nights, UConn wins.

jaybate 11 years, 8 months ago

~Frankly, UConn plays like a carbon copy of KU. They even run half a weave. And practically all of the guard starting to penetrate and then dishing to the high big peeling back down the lane are pages ripped straight out of Self Ball. It was eery watching UConn. It was like Calhoun just watched a bunch of tape of KU during Sherron's last two seasons and told his assistants; run what Self ran with Collins, plus a little of what he did this season with the bigs.

~Calhoun and UConn, of course, are not the only top team aping Self Ball. Ohio State's Matta has had the Buckeyes playing Self Ball all season long. Self is now easily the most influential coach in college basketball. Fewer and fewer teams seem to be running Cal's version of the Skip, Skip, Hop, Hop, Dribble, Dribble, Bounce, Bounce, Screen, Screen, Stand, Stand, Wait, Wait, Jump, Jump, Shoot, Shoot, Dribble Drive Offense.

Self is utterly the oracle of offensive basketball these days.

~Calhoun is not only stealing the sets, and routines, he's even playing 70 point take what they give us. It is just flipping amazing how much Calhoun has changed his game from his last ring team. UConn plays Self Ball and they played it better than KU this year. Old dogs can learn new tricks. I've always thought Calhoun was kind of a jerk, but he's a smart jerk. Always steal from the best.

~KU literally had to shoot 9.5% from trey to lose to VCU on one of VCU's hot shooting nights. Otherwise, KU is marching through the Madness like Sherman marching to Atlanta and burning everything in sight.

~Back in late February, I wrote that The Philadelphia Twins were on a mythical quest to set right the 1957 triple overtime loss of Philadelphian Wilt to UNC. Not all mythic quests succeed. But there is no doubt in my mind that one day this wrong will be righted by another fine group of young KU men. The Twins gave it their best shots.

~I have a humble, personal tradition of calling fine players who became men in the course of their years at KU "Mister," when they decide to go, and I bid them farewell.

Mr. Marcus Morris, Mr. Markieff Morris, Mr. Brady Morningstar, Mr. Tyrel Reed, Mr. Mario Little, you grew from boys into men before our eyes during your stays at Kansas. It was a very great privilege to have had each of you play KU basketball and carry the colors proudly and honorably. I will have a deep fondness in my heart for each of you always.

No loss at the end of a season can diminish your stellar accomplishments as a team, nor as individuals, and you are all now men in my eyes. Welcome to the real world, gentlemen.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, Go KU!

David Howell 11 years, 8 months ago

Leave it to the Twins to be on the town with an agent who has NO athletes to represent to date. He must have some of Charlie Sheen's "Goddess HO's" in the entourage to draw them in. They were never smart enough to see the light in trying the draft waters and seeing if there was an NBA lockout without getting an agent.

We really need them to stay, but it looks like its time to move on even though we will not even come close to winning the Big 12/10 next year. For all the good they brought to the program, I for one won't miss their thousands of tattoo's, missed FT's and lack of defense.

God be with them in the NBA because they will face a tough road and momma Morris won't be by their sides to keep them in check and out of trouble ................

Now Mr. Robinson please stay in school at KU for 2011/21012 !!!

Laurence Cooley 11 years, 8 months ago

how many pro's were on the 88 championship team? one if i do recall.

we will be fine, what ever the morris twins do, i support. they have been great for the school and for the team. and i have faith in HCBS to put together a good package for his defense first system. trust him. i do.

our bball team will be fine, no worries. i dont know that many good players (and with great talent comes a lot of pride in showing what they can do) that will pass up the opportunity to show that they can bounce back and prove that they are the best. until i hear anything official from the sources (being the twins or HCBS) i see the rest as hearsay. i am sure we can wait two weeks to know if the morris twins are going to risk being split up or if they will play one more year together.

they even said themselves that they are not ready to split up yet. keep that in mind.

Joel Hood 11 years, 8 months ago

Great point about hearsay, but if they have been wined & dined in LA, then they cannot play for KU next year - so all our wishfull thinking becomes moot.

Also, KU has at least 3 players from 1988 that played for money. Danny of course, but Milt Newton played for pay (not for too long) and also Kevin Prichard played in the leauge for a little bit.

Curtis Stutz 11 years, 8 months ago

I skipped the last half of the comments, but, I think we're missing some key points

If VCU and Butler can make final four runs then KU will most likely have the talent to do so next year If all we return are TT, EJ, TR, TR and JW for starters, that's a pretty talented starting 5, along with whatever recruits, granted TRob might leave too, that would hurt, but Self will pick up a JUCO player or someone ready to fill in

I'd be bummed if TT left now after just finally finding his game late this season

Jeremy Wilhelm 11 years, 8 months ago

When I think of how far the Morrii have come since their freshmen season, it's like night and day. If they leave early, they'll have my best wishes. I know that if they stay, and put in the same amount of work as the last two off-seasons, they could potentially dominate next year. They would be something to behold on the court. Either way, I wish them the best. RCJH!

jayhawksbiggestfan 11 years, 8 months ago

As much as I would like to see them stay. Take the money and run. Just use it wisely. You guys owe KU nothing. We owe you for being part of one of our best teams ever. Same for T-Rob. Just come back and see us now and then. Good luck, but one thing..............Luck is over rated...skill lasts a lot longer. It has been a pleasure.

Mark Lindrud 11 years, 8 months ago

I am okay with the twins going. Talented yes, but it is time for new blood and to change a bit of our reputation. In the end they looked like bullies who ended up getting bullied. They both have a reputation with officials and that won't change until they are in the pros so I say have fun in the pros. You will be missed and you progressed well here.

With McLemore and I say Daniels, Anderson and Simpson along with Tharpe I would love this class coming in.

We could have a lineup like this:(changes obviously can happen but you get the idea.)

SF Daniels, Releford PF: TRob, Anderson C: Simpson, Withey(he will never start for us, except SR night) SG: Selby, McLemore, Woolridge PG: Taylor, EJ (Tharpe Redshirt)

Very good talent and still have leadership with young guys who are the future.

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 8 months ago

I thought that Marcus was in Houston this weekend for an award presentation. I also think that this report is either pure fabrication or complete misreporting. There are always two sides two every story, and often both of them are at least partly wrong. If it's true that the twins were in California with this aspiring agent, there's no telling the extent of the lies that he told them about their college eligibility and their pro-potential, etc. If true, it definitely sounds like a slime-ball of an agent, and a poor decision by the twins. I doubt the Morris twins stay at KU for their senior year, and I wish them well in whatever the decide.

theend 11 years, 8 months ago

Really couldn't care less. Sure, they were good......but obviously not good enough to win a national championship.

Butler may win it with far less talent. Why? Their players have heart and toughness. We don't.

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 8 months ago

this comment is misplaced and unfortunate.

The twins played with heart and toughness all year. They were two of our hardest workers, and they were our two most consistent performers. If not for the twins we'd not have lost in the elite 8 vs VCU. We'd likely have lost in the first round to Richmond as a number 5 seed.

We'd also not have won the conference tourney, and definitely not have the 7th straight big 12 championship.

Thanks twins for the effort you put into this season. For the value that you placed on the tradition of KU basketball, and for the hard work it took leave your mark on the legacy.

Doug Aitken 11 years, 8 months ago

I wish I cared more, but I don't. College athletics isn't quite a cesspool yet, but you can see the cesspool from there. Most of the NBA dreamers stopped being student-athletes a long time ago. Now they're just athletes. They use KU as a temporary place to put up some numbers and get noticed by scouts.

I was a fan of the twins, but they lack maturity. Them talking trash to VCU players before the game sticks in my craw. And as we all know, it just fueled the fire to get our a**es whipped. Talent is important but so is attitude and consistency. Where will the next Reed and Morningstar come from?