Thursday, September 23, 2010

KU’s Selby part of UT violations

Kansas University freshman Josh Selby talks with media members in this June 8, 2010 file photo, a day after his arrival in Lawrence. Selby was listed as one recruit connected with violations made by Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl.

The Tennessee basketball program has reported several NCAA violations committed under coach Bruce Pearl, including nearly 100 excessive phone calls to recruits — including Kansas University freshman Josh Selby — and permitting families of recruits to stay longer than allowed by the NCAA when visiting Knoxville.

In memos from Tennessee to Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive, Tennessee cited poor record keeping, miscommunication and carelessness in documenting the number of phone calls made to Selby and nine other recruits.

The recruits mentioned in the memos included Selby; Elliot Williams, who played at Duke and Memphis; Florida State’s Chris Singleton; Ohio State’s Aaron Craft; Xavier’s Justin Martin and Griffin McKenzie; and Rico Pickett, who signed with Alabama but now plays professionally in Europe.

Names of current Tennessee players involved were redacted from the documents.

Tennessee also acknowledged assistant coach Jason Shay approved the lodging expenses for the families of three recruits who stayed in Knoxville for their official visits longer than the 48 hours allowed by the NCAA. The Knoxville News-Sentinel said those recruits who stayed longer than allotted were: Tobias Harris, Jordan McRae and Tarik Black.

Tennessee officials declined comment on the matter, as did KU coach Bill Self.

The NCAA continues to look into Selby’s academic eligibility and status an an amateur. After missing a couple weeks of school, the 6-foot-3 point guard, who attended three high schools in Baltimore, was given the OK by the NCAA to attend class and be put on scholarship, but has not yet cleared to play in games during his freshman season. The matter is ongoing. Self said Wednesday he had no comment on that matter.

According to documents dating from April to July, Tennessee punished itself by reducing the number of days coaches could recruit from 130 to 104 and their number of official visits from 12 to eight and by banning associate head coach Tony Jones from making recruiting calls for three months and Pearl from making calls for nine days. Pearl also had his pay docked by $1.5 million over five years. He is prohibited from participating in off-campus recruiting for a year.

Pearl said Sunday that, “I hope that the things we did don’t rise to the level of termination, because we run a clean program. We got investigated in a lot of areas.”

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 9 months ago

Is it really necessary to use the wording in the headline? Nothing like sensationlism. Selby did nothing wrong. This is all on Tennessee.

Joe Ross 11 years, 9 months ago

Here, here! I have many positive opinions about the LJW, but every once in a while their sensationalist headlines are maddening! They did something similar when Brandon Rush (I believe it was) got in trouble for traffic tickets. The headline made it sound as if they were going to cart him off to jail with a quickness.

Spencer Goff 11 years, 9 months ago

Well, I mean.... If you are about to feed people a turd you want to polish it first. Right?

duanep5ku 11 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree with Keithsmiles05 Why the headline, Oh I know to draw more attention to the article but still your headline sounds worse then it should be.

waywardJay 11 years, 9 months ago

WOudl you rather it read

"Pearl pulls a Sampson, uses too many rollover minutes on Ku's Selby ?"

Jared Grillot 11 years, 9 months ago

That would be funnier :) And would put a more appropriate tone to this article. If I was one of these kids, I'd be glad to be getting phone calls from coaches I might want to play for... but hundreds? Would get old. My own family doesn't call me that much, and we've got free minutes!

But seriously, when a college started recuiting my daughter for soccer, I went straight to, "Keep track of how often he's calling and texting." Glad to know now that it would have been the coach's issue only, and not hers.

klineisanazi 11 years, 9 months ago

This story has been on the "wire" for a week now. Nothing new here but an inaccurate , sensational headline.

Ben Kane 11 years, 9 months ago

it seems that the culture at UT was such that excessive phone calls were encouraged which makes me wonder how rampant that is over the whole and whether or not we do this also.

this must be a factor into Selby's current status.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 9 months ago

If the number of call that were "excessive" was 100, how many calls are acceptable? Obviously, the monitoring controls of phone calls reflects a review of phone calls to these recruits from records from coaches/other staffers cell phones. I guess violaters never thought about using those pre-paid phones! Oops, I didn't mean to suggest circumventing the system, that would be wrong.

phi4life940 11 years, 9 months ago

This is a ridiculous article. The title indicates that because of the UT violations Selby may be tied to punishments;however, the players face no sanctions. Way to put unnecessary pressure on the Selby situation.

I expected better from KUSports

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 9 months ago

the headline is wrong.....completely misleading at best. Josh Selby himself, existing as a human being, has nothing do with UT's violations. "Excessive phone calls to recruits" would be the headline. and the sub head would read, "among many recruits, Josh Selby was on the list of those UT called in violation of rules."

the matter is UT and their coaching staff....not Josh Selby.

5DecadeHawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Who wrote this article?

Who wrote this headline?

If the LJW has any guts, they'll put the authors name with the article and not use annonymous attack articles.

This is the LJW's version of a sock puppet attack job on the message boards.

Man up... if you write an article. Put your freekin' name on it.

If you aren't willing to put your name on an article... you shouldn't be employed and your articles shouldn't be published.

Dean Huggins 11 years, 9 months ago

5Decade~ Not sure what you're talking about; it clearly states that the renowned journalist, first name: Wire, composed this article. Keep up the good work Mr. Reports.

Jared Grillot 11 years, 9 months ago

That guy writes an awful lot of articles...

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

I don't find anything wrong with the headline because it's accurate and true. What do you all think a "Headline" is suppose to do? Is KU's Josh Selby part or not apart of UT's violations? Seems pretty simplistic to me. I don't find anything wrong with the headline. Keep up the good work LJW.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

Not at all anthonyzal! You made my day though, because I knew you would respond to this. I just don't see anything wrong with the headline. It doesn't implicate Selby or KU in any fashion. Like the headline, you assume I think everybody else is wrong. I am not saying anybody is wrong for thinking the way they think. I just don't see what's wrong with headline. Good to see you though.

You're kind of like a fly, here for a couple of days and then you vanish......here for a couple of days and then you vanish. Maybe we won't see you until spring since yo have little or no value to add towards basketball talk.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

I always love the Mother's basement line? Really? Please feel free to fly down to Charlotte and participate in one of our many Jayhawk parties. I cordially invite you into my home. However, I will only pay you 8 dollars an hour to watch all the kiddos down in the basement while I entertain the adults and true Jayhawk fans upstairs .............watching Jayhawk Basketball win on the court. I figure since you only respond to my posts and you never talk about Jayhawk basketball that you would be okay watching the kids? If you do a good job I may make it 9 dollars an hour.

waywardJay 11 years, 9 months ago

Shaw, Most of us value your insight and your candor. and then some of us are idiot kickers.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, Wayward J. Much appreciated. He's worse than the Zona and UK trolls and he's suppose to be fan of the Hawks?

RockChalkGuy 11 years, 9 months ago

tsk, tsk, tsk...you keep this up and you will never make it to $9/hr.

Sam Constance 11 years, 9 months ago

Well, I think this passage from the article really drives home exactly how the title is misleading:

"Sources said the fact UT made excessive phone calls to Selby would not negatively affect his current situation surrounding his eligibility at KU. The NCAA could punish Tennessee over that matter, not the player who is enrolled at another institution now."

The fact that the headline isn't technically lying is really meaningless. Saying that Selby is "part of" UT's violations directly implies that Selby is somehow a party to wrongdoing. But facts clearly show that it is not a violation to receive excessive calls from a program. It's violation to make them.

I have to agree with most of the responders here--the headline doesn't represent good journalism, whether it constitutes an outright lie or not. A good journalistic headline should be at least marginally related to the content of the article. This article is about the violations committed by Pearl and his staff. The recruits who were targeted by the staff are not the point of the article, nor should they be.

A headline that focuses on an insignificant side detail of a story at the expense of the main point of the story, knowing that the particular detail they chose will entice their audience to click on the story link is poor journalism. Proper journalistic integrity isn't just about avoiding outright lies. It's also about accurate and fair representation of information.

It's too bad that this kind of practice--valuing clickthrough rates and page views over fair and balanced representation of the facts--has become so commonplace that people don't see anything wrong with it.

KWufan 11 years, 9 months ago

Unfortunately I think that someone felt the need to make news, that's why the headline was written the way it was, I completely agree, this is a story about UT breaking rules, not Josh Selby.

jayhawkjoe98 11 years, 9 months ago

Would have been nice to have this line near the top of the article...

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 9 months ago

I thought it was a bit misleading. My first reaction was panic. Must admit it did it's job by getting me to read the article.

Chris1955 11 years, 9 months ago

Shoot! Darn it! $Z%$&*^!!!!!!

I saw the "UT" in the headline and thought that Selby had somehow managed to get the UT Longhorns in some sort of violation! Thanks for getting my hopes up!

Woody Cragg 11 years, 9 months ago

Lookout, where there's smoke there's fire.

Joe Baker 11 years, 9 months ago

jaybird- Where is this smoke and what is the fire? Rocky Top Tennessee and Pearl ?

Please explain.

KWufan 11 years, 9 months ago

Chill out people, the headline says Selby a part of recruiting violations which is entirely true. He was called too many times making him a part of it, unwittingly. There's nothing wrong with the headline, it's factual. If we are going to land top players in this day and age this stuff if going to happen every yr. John Wall was not clearned until 2 weeks after late night last yr I believe. It's a product of too many people with too many chances of making money off of kids who are talented at basketball. The eligibility is going to scare every Hawk fan no matter what top player we recruit, because the fact is the NCAA knows the top players are hounded by agents and unsavory people. I say you put a cap on what agents are allowed to make moneywise from the players they sign, I say give them a set amount instead of percentages. They don't do anything anyway besides sit in a room and say no I want more money. Worthless, worthless, worthless job. Do I have an agent speaking for me when I apply for a job. The players should be negotiating their own contracts just like most regular folks do. Oh, right I forgot, it's easier to pay out the millions of dollars they aren't worth to a lackey to do it for you so you can party like an idiot and end up being broke when your done playing.

jaybate 11 years, 9 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: The Junction of Embarrassing LJW Journalism and KU Sports

Slug: The Jaybate Interview with By Wire Reports

jaybate: A lot of board rats are very interested in finally meeting you, By Wire Reports. Thanks for sitting in.

By Wire Reports: Just call me ByWi; that's what the LJW Staff Writers that I collaborate with call me.

j: How long have you been a paid employee with the LJW?

BWR: I don't get pay.

j: Really?

BWR: And I'm not an employee either. Frankly, I don't even exist in the conventional sense.

j: Why do you work for the LJW then?

BWR: I don't work for them. I'm their slave.

j: I'm shocked!

BWR: You otta be. Its the 21st Century in the land of The Free State Opera House and the LJW has a slave.

j: You can't vote, or collect unemployment?

BWR: Nope.

j: You can't come and go freely or do the work you like?

BWR: No and no.

j: You're a real human being then?

BWR: No, you dunce, I'm a committee of human beings.

j: Oh, wow! The LJW has multiple information slaves working for it?

BWR: Yep, whenever they have a story no one on the staff wants to be associated with, they resort to committee slavery and invoke me.

j: So you aren't real?

BWR: I am as real as each staff writer on the LJW, when each has abdicated his professional ethics to committee think and published a headline and story that no single one of them would want his name on.

j: How real is that?

BWR: As real as the clicks I generate without pay and without benefits. As real as the tarnish to Selby's reputation that I cause through guilt by association.

j: A light just went on in this dim bulb of mine, By The Wire. Are committees the means society uses to do all the terrible, or even just lazy, things that individual persons would never do acting individually?

BWR: That's how it seems to me. I've never seen a committee, fact-finding commission, or board that wasn't ultimately convened to cover someone's arse and/or to do something collectively that no one individually wanted to be associated with.

j: What an important insight!

BWR: And since this junction of Embarrassing LJW Journalism and KU Sports has occurred in a free state, could you free me, too?

j: I'm not sure I know how.

BWR: Pay me. If they have to pay me salary and bennies, you'll never hear from me again.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

gchawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Last paragraph of article: Perarl said Sunday, "I hope that the things............. because we run a clean program". Clean program, by whose standards, Kelvin Sampson, or perhaps Calsleazy? I just don't get it, you have these charges against you, yet you proclaim you have a clean program. If you do get fired there may be a job waiting for you as mayor of Chicago. What a worm.

Steve Gantz 11 years, 9 months ago

I really can't wait for basketball season to start. Can't believe there's a debate about a headline here.

dynamitehawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps the headline below would have caused less confusion?

"Josh Selby, who can jump over the backboard, is likely to be cleared for KU -- Even though he drove a powder blue Mercedes, which is questionable from a masculinity standpoint -- Is implicated in Tenessee's investigation, not related to his eligibility situation at KU."

Ron Franklin 11 years, 9 months ago

Regardless of how this article was head-lined, we all were going to read it. We cannot wait until season starts....anything related to hawk ball is going to be devoured.

So what's the big deal. It's as ridiculous as people complaining about "University of Kansas" vs "Kansas University", when in fact, all apparel and logos indicate "KU"....so it apparently seems to go both ways.

Maybe some folks on here just want to toot their own horn and express that they know how an article should be written.

If you truly have an issue with the writing from the LJW, and you're so passionate about accurate article creation then make a change. Become journalist and get a job there.

Sam Constance 11 years, 9 months ago

I must disagree.

The idea that one must change their career and work for KU Sports in order to have a valid criticism of an article posted on their site is downright absurd.

That logic sort of destroys the point of a public forum in the first place, doesn't it?

Ron Franklin 11 years, 9 months ago

Yes, you have a right to complain all you want about LJW's journalism style.

All I'm saying is that it's tiring. It's tiring to continually hear people bring up these issues, when you will never change the way LJW does things.

IMHO, this forum is for fellow fans & alumni to come and discuss Kansas Athletics. If I wanted to hear about proper journalism methods, I'd enroll in classes on campus.

What good do you serve by complaining, because these complaints obviously never lead to change?

All I see are negative attitudes getting nowhere, and accomplishing nothing. Seriously, how many times have we heard "Kansas University vs University of Kansas" argument?

When is enough, enough?

Sam Constance 11 years, 9 months ago

I understand your point, and it's very well taken regarding the argument over Kansas Univ. or Univ. or Kansas. That's a stupid argument that is purely semantics in nature.

However, I don't see this particular issue in the same vein. The issue here is an intentionally misleading headline designed to garner attention. It's not about "proper journalism" so much as decency in reporting and respecting your audience.

I'm no journalism expert, so my comment comes more from being a fan who takes exception at being played the fool than it does from some ivory tower concept of Journalism.

I realize that my complaint will not get the LJWorld to change it's practice or even admit wrongdoing or mistake on their part. That's just business as usual for the World Company. The fact that they are non-responsive to such failures reflects poorly on them, not the people who call attention to the failures.

All I'm saying is that it's a lot harder to determine what constitutes "enough", when the lines are blurred and valid concerns about writing headlines that are misleading and paint KU athletics in a bad light are put in the same category as ridiculous semantics arguments like the KU v. UK argument you reference.

Scott Smetana 11 years, 9 months ago

Let the UDK have the tabloid headlines. I thought the LJW had a little more class. This headline implies that Selby did something wrong.

steamboat 11 years, 9 months ago

You can tell Pearl and Calipari are crooks just by lookin' at 'em. They both have that wide-eyed mafia look to there demeanor. Sooner or later it's gonna catch up. Knight is right on about Caipari and probably Pearl as well.

Mark Wooden 11 years, 9 months ago

The issue here is not NCAA recruiting violations.

The issue here is about academics. The fact he attended 3 high schools in the same area has to do with the possibility of being recruited around which effects his amateur status.

REHawk 11 years, 9 months ago

The heading for this article wreaks of yellow journalism synonymous with sensationalism employed by such rags as The National Enquirer...or misleading statements posted by some of the clowns who are hired to stir the emotions of the fearful public glued daily to their TVs, awaiting the next adrenalin surge perpetrated by the Fox News Channel. Do Bill Self and staff deserve such local sports news headings? How about: UT Violations Include Excessive Calls to KU's Josh Selby

Regarding Pearl's "clean program" statement, and his implication that the NCAA had taken perhaps too broad a sweep of his program, that most probably will backfire on him.

Huskerhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't be too hard on the LJW. With most newspapers the person who writes the article is not the person who writes the headlines. They have one person who writes the headlines often after just scanning the article so sometimes the headline does not absolutely match the article.

REHawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Good point. The headline might have more to do with editorial management than the staff assigned to cover Jayhawk sports. Too bad it reflects on the total package.

5DecadeHawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Just one problem.

The LJW doesn't have a "package" to reflect in their bathroom mirror. That's why they wuss out and don't put author's names on articles, especially when they are misleading articles. No balls.

sammyr2 11 years, 9 months ago

Now we know where the Drudge Report gets their headline writers! Nice mislead there, LJW.

Ron Franklin 11 years, 9 months ago

I use this picture because I cannot get over how dumb-founded he looks. When I look at this picture, He continually reinforces my strong feelings of dislike for everything Kentucky.