Friday, May 21, 2010

Former Jayhawks in Combine

Collins, Aldrich, Henry reunite in Chicago

Kansas players Brady Morningstar, left, Markieff Morris, Sherron Collins, Xavier Henry and Cole Aldrich huddle during a break from an Oklahoma State run in the first half, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2010 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater.

Three former Kansas University basketball players are holding a reunion of sorts in the Windy City this week.

Sherron Collins, who took part in KU graduation ceremonies on Sunday, and early-entries Cole Aldrich and Xavier Henry are attending the two-day NBA Draft Combine at Attack Athletics training center.

“My roommate is Cole. I like rooming with Cole. He’s one of my good friends from Kansas,” Henry told reporters Thursday during the first-day media-interview portion of the event.

“I saw Sherron this morning. I haven’t seen too much of him (since season ended). It’s fun to have all three of us up here. We get to relax and chill.”

The 6-foot-11 Aldrich, who is considered a certain lottery pick, isn’t taking part in any of the combine’s individual drills. He’s participating in interviews with teams’ front office officials and also undergoing physical tests and measuring like the rest of the invitees.

Henry and Collins agreed to participate in drills.

“Xavier Henry had easily the best shot among the shooting guards. The ball rolls off his fingers on every shot in a textbook form,” said Aran Smith of nbadraft.net.

“Collins’ jump shot looked good,” he added.

Henry reported that, in coming weeks, he plans to work out with the teams drafting in the No. 7 to 17 range. Those teams are: Detroit, Los Angeles Clippers, Utah, Indiana, New Orleans, Memphis, Toronto, Houston, Milwaukee, Minnesota and Chicago.

In fact, he already has worked out with the Bulls with fellow guards James Anderson of Oklahoma State, Paul George of Fresno State and Dominique Jones of South Florida.

“I don’t have a dream city,” the 6-foot-6 Putnam City (Okla.) High graduate said. “I like the Oklahoma City Thunder (21st pick), but that’s probably because it’s the only team we’ve really ever had.”

He was asked whether he’d be ready to defend against the top perimeter players in the league.

“Maybe not the Wades (Dwyane Wade) and Kobes (Bryant), but I know I can come in and work hard and try my hardest,” Henry said.

NBAdraft.net has Aldrich being selected No. 9 by Utah, Henry 10th by Indiana and Collins 52nd by Boston.

Draftexpress.com says Aldrich will be picked No. 7 by Detroit and Henry No. 15 by Milwaukee. That website has not yet made second-round picks. RealGM.com has Aldrich going to Detroit and Henry to Memphis at No. 12.

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford says Aldrich will be tapped No. 6 by Golden State and Henry 19th by Boston.

“If Henry falls this far, it will be a pretty dramatic development since he was once considered a lottery pick,” Ford said. “He already has an NBA body, and he can shoot the NBA three. He may be a little one-dimensional, but with Paul Pierce beginning to age and Ray Allen hitting free agency, he'd be a nice fit in Boston.

Of Aldrich, Ford wrote: “The Warriors need help in the middle. Aldrich, while not flashy, can provide rebounding, shot-blocking and a decent face-up game.”

Collins reiterated to media he has been working out with trainer Joe Abunassar in Las Vegas. He will meet with Chicago and Minnesota officials, then return to Vegas and begin traveling for individual workouts before the June 24 draft.

“We’ve got an All-America team out there,” Collins said of Vegas, where he’s training with Anderson, Michigan’s Manny Harris, Iowa State’s Craig Brackins and UConn’s Stanley Robinson. “There’s a lot of competition. It’s real good to be working with those guys.”

Collins said he has dropped about 10 pounds in the past month.

X on Calipari: The Lexington Herald-Leader warns readers that Kentucky coach John Calipari still could wind up in the NBA even though he says he’s staying at UK.

Henry, who had committed to play for Calipari at Memphis, recalled Calipari telling him he’d not be taking the Kentucky job.

“My dad was was big on coach Cal. I was big on coach Cal as well. The day before, he told me he wasn’t going (to UK), and he really wasn’t thinking of going to Kentucky,” Henry said. “Then the next day I saw he went to Kentucky. I felt that if he was going to leave Memphis and go to Kentucky, maybe we (he and brother C.J.) should go somewhere else, too.”

Henry wound up at KU. “He has his own agenda. He has dreams, too. He said his dream was to coach Kentucky. I can’t not like him for that. He went for his dream. I’m going to try to fulfill mine. It's not a big deal,” Henry said.

Camp talk: There are openings for both sessions of Bill Self’s KU basketball camps (June 6-10 and June 13-17). To register, visit billselfbasketballcamp.com.

Awards: Gould Evans, an architectural and planning firm with offices in Lawrence and four other cities, has earned recognition from the International Interior Design Association (IIDA) for its work on the interior renovation of Allen Fieldhouse and the athletics complex at KU. The IIDA's Mid-America Design Awards (MADA) program last month honored Gould Evans with a silver award in the sports/recreation interiors category.

Comments

Chris Shaw 12 years, 1 month ago

"Asked whom he compares himself to, Henry said: “I think a decent comparison would be a Joe Johnson. A tall, athletic shooting guard that can shoot and take it to the rim, that’s just active on all ends of the court, hustles, plays, rebounds, defends, does it all.”

I sure hope the "Take it to the Rim" part really develops for him in the NBA. It will definitely be easier for him in the NBA than it was in college, but I'll believe it when I see it. He already fooled me once with that kind of talk coming out of High School.

Collins-I just have this gut feeling that Collins is going to stick somewhere. It seems like Collins wants this more than anything and right now he's having to eliminate a few negative perceptions (On the court perceptions) by GM's. If I was Collins I would workout as much and as often as possible.

Woody Cragg 12 years, 1 month ago

Will be stunned if Collins goes at 52nd, but also if Cole is not a lottery pick. He is fundamentally as sound as a big can be at this age. Look what Danny helped him do. McHale could take his offense to another level as well. Good luck men. See ya down the road.

Alec White 12 years, 1 month ago

Really good news that Sherron's dropped 10 pounds. If he's at 190 or 195 I can't imagine him not being a first-round pick. I think most GM's really wanted to see if he could keep his weight down...cause let's be honest, he couldn't drop below 200 for his whole four years here. Against college competition he didn't need to be in the best shape of his life, but if he wants a solid NBA career for 10 years he's going to need to constantly make the right decisions about his body. And who is a better PG than Sherron in the first-round??? Let's look who Chad Ford (Draft guru) has ahead of Sherron in terms of PG's...

John Wall (obvious) Eric Bledsoe (I beg to differ) Willie Warren (since when is he a PG?) Armon Johnson (who?)

If he can outplay Johnson, Warren, and Bledsoe (which shouldn't be too hard for a motivated Collins) then he has to slip in the first round somewhere...I'm hoping he becomes the apprentice to Derek Fisher's job in LA so he can play with athletes that know what it takes in terms of preperation in the NBA day in and day out.

Chris Shaw 12 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk: I agree with you, but for some reason NBA GM's get fixated on this sub 6' idea in the NBA (There is some truth to it). I think because of the "Pit Bull" body that Collins has (Derek Fisher and Jameer Nelson types), I think Collins is going to get some serious looks.

NBA GM's love 6'1 and taller point guards and Bledsoe, Warren (Could transition into a point guard very easily) and Johnson all fit that bill.

The only thing Collins can do and Collins can hope for is that he has an opportunity in workouts to play against those other 3 that you mentioned above. Honestly, I don't think GM's question Collins offensive capabilities or his ability to run a team as a leader, but I think NBA GM's are worried about Collins defense at the next level. Collins didn't exactly show quick footwork on the defensive end. Maybe he conserved a lot of energy because of the role he was in his last two years? Who Knows, but these workouts are going to be very important for Collins the next few weeks.

Kye Clark 12 years, 1 month ago

Only thing I disagree with is Warren. I'm not sure he can transition to a PG. Consider the case of Mario Chalmers. Coming out of high school he was pretty much a combo guard - a capable passer but really more of a shooter/scorer. CS tried turning him into a PG his freshman year and it was pretty hard to watch at times. Eventually he returned to the combo guard role, capable of bringing it up the floor and running the point in small spurts but primarily playing the role of the 2. I think questions about his ability to play the point is what caused him to slip out of the 1st round. And he has not been a stellar point guard at the NBA level. I think Warren will face the same difficulties, both in terms of actually transferring to the point and the perception of whether he can do this or not. He was also more of a combo guard coming out of high school and didn't really play the point at OU.

I do think he'll be taken ahead of Collins, just not sure how easy the position transfer will be for him.

Brad Avery 12 years, 1 month ago

If Boston takes Collins, it will be another very interesting choice since the Celtics passed on Mario Chalmers two years ago to take JR Giddens who is no longer with the team. Chalmers is a superior defensive player who now starts for the Heat and would have been a great backup to Rondo. Collins will have a difficult time fitting in with the Celtics because of his defensive liabilities.

KU 12 years, 1 month ago

I've never understood the notion that Collins is the best point guard ever at KU. I think people love him for several reasons: 1) he helped us win the 1st NCAA title in 20 years, 2) he stayed all 4 years, and 3) Coach Self claimed he impacts the college game more than any player he has coached.

Frankly, I think #3 is hyperbole. Collins could impact the game, alright. He could win it for you or lose it for you depending on whether his shot was falling on a given night. But he didn't play defense, and I don't think he really accomplished the measure of a TRUE point guard--he never really made those around him better. He never mixed all the parts around him and made the sum greater than the parts. When the chips were down, he always felt the need to take the scoring role on himself...probably because he is not a good creator for others.

He IS a Top 10 all-time KU point guard. I don't see him having a long career in the NBA. His body will never make it through the long season. It's not in his genes. He doesn't have the speed or quickness for that level. I wish him the best, while realizing this opinion will brand me a "Collins Hater".

Kye Clark 12 years, 1 month ago

I don't think you're a "Collins hater", but I respectfully disagree. First of all, you left off one reason people love him and rank him so high among all-time PGs at KU: all-time...winningest...Jayhawk...ever. So while you're statement that "he could win it for you or lose it for you" is meant to negate the impact factor, he obviously impacted the game to more wins than anyone else. Also, this has to also be considered one of the measures of a TRUE point guard. In addition to overlooking how much of a winner he was, you seem to brush aside the reason of helping us win the Championship in '08. At elite institutions like KU Championships are the ultimate measure of success. Being instrumental in winning the title gives him a feather in his cap, a resume edge, over most PGs at KU.

As to your claim that he didn't play defense, this was largely true his final two years, but his first two years he was a very good defender. Go watch the job he did on Derrick Rose. Following the mass exodus of offensive talent after the '08 season, he was forced to expend so much energy on the offensive end he would tend to save himself or hold himself back on the defensive end during his junior and senior seasons.

The difference between his first two seasons and his second two seasons is also evident in your point that "he always felt the need to take the scoring role on himself...probably because he is not a good creator for others." Obviously he did this more his final two years due to the lack of credible options, as opposed to his first two years when he had an abundance of options. He was a good creator for others when he didn't have to assume so much of the scoring burden. After all, it was him who created the shot for Mario. And while he can't take full credit for this, I would also argue that with him running the team as a starter his final two years he helped turn Cole Aldrich into a lottery pick (he was a good offensive threat his sophomore season, averaging 14.9 ppg) and helped turn Marcus Morris into a potential conference player of the year candidate after only two seasons.

So best point guard ever at KU? I don't know. Just offering some counterpoints.

Jonathan Allison 12 years, 1 month ago

offensive rebounding helped Cole and Marcus increase their stock quite a bit. There definitely were games when Collins created a lot of offensive rebounds for Cole and Marcus. Overall though, I think that Collins is a first round talent as a PG and some team needs to take a chance on him.

coolsportsdad 12 years, 1 month ago

I tend to agree with KU on the "impact a game". He could certainly keep both teams in a game. I very much appreciate Sherron's story, committment to KU, etc but I tire of the Winningest Jayhawk argument. Don't forget who he surpassed - C.B. McGrath.

FarSideHawk 12 years, 1 month ago

You don't think there's a difference between the wins Sherron was part of vs. those of C.B.?

I'm sure looking at the number of minutes Sherron played in those wins, plus the points, assists, steals, etc. would tell the story.

Kye Clark 12 years, 1 month ago

Well technically he surpassed everyone. But yes McGrath was one of three players who had previously held the distinction. The other two: Billy Thomas and Raef Lafrentz. Conveniently you listed the worst of the three players (and not the player who has his name hanging in the rafters) hoping to strengthen your argument. Nice little trick. Anyway, tire of it all you want, and try and bring him down claiming he would keep both teams in a game. Whether he kept them in the game or not, his teams won at a clip of atleast 87% of the time. I'll take that all day long, along with a National Championship, 4 conference titles, and 3 conference tournament titles.

Kurt Eskilson 12 years, 1 month ago

"C.B. McGrath" … Sheron also passed up Danny Manning, Kirk Hinrich and every other four-year star KU's ever had. Is "all-time...winningest...Jayhawk...ever" the most significant stat available? Probably not. But it means a lot more than you're giving it credit for.

coolsportsdad 12 years, 1 month ago

No, my point was meant to be more of it is just as important who you play with and when. Not to mention the number of games that are played. Again, very glad to have had Sherron around for the last 4 years, respect his efforts very much. It's just that the winningest jayhawk argument is the only defining statement people like to make. Give him all the credit he's earned, he didn't make others better when he was struggling, but could carry the team when he was on. I'm just somewhere between KU's and icthawk's opinions.

Alec White 12 years, 1 month ago

Imagine if he still had his old legs (before his knee scopes) and his new body? That would be something special, a top 10 PG in the NBA for sure. I think I remember him saying he was 215 or 220 at the McDonald's game when he threw down that last second dunk.

Matt Kenton 12 years, 1 month ago

Sherron may not have a 15 year NBA career, but I do think he'll push himself enough to be successful within his second season, assuming he gets on the right team, maybe one that has a stud starting point guard and will need a guy like Sherron off the bench and in certain game situations. The NBA season is l o n g and if he can give 100% effort when the other guys aren't, he'll be a contributor, at least until that 100% starts dropping, or his weight starts rising as he gets older.

And enough of the FORMER Jayhawk and EX-Jayhawk crap!!! We're Jayhawks for life!

Part I

"Talking Points and Walking Points on Friday"

} Sherron Collins

Talking Point: To short Walking Point: Goodrich (6'1" in his dreams), Murphy (5'9"), Archibald (6'1" in his dreams), Stockton (6'1"). Sherron (5'11") can jump with any of these guys. His first step is as quick as any of these guys. His trey is as good as Murphy and Archibald. He is stronger than all of them. And, even if you doubt the above, he's just plain better in every way than Jacque Vaughn, who stuck in the league for ever as a back up. The key to Sherron's pro career is whether or not he finds a coach as smart as Doc Rivers about the point guard position. Sherron needs to be used as a Rondo in the pros, but a Rondo with a 37-39% trey and a 81% FT touch. Turning Sherron loose in the NBA the way Self did in college might look entertaining, because Sherron is a tremendous impact player, but it would not translate to rings. Sherron is just not quite a good enough trifectator to risk first option, or even second option FGAs on in the pros. But I do believe Sherron could be a terrific role playing PG in the pros, because he has the basic skills needed, plus advantages of great strength, and compared to many NBA PGs, significantly better trifectation and FTing. For more related to this, see John Wall below.

Talking Point: Defensive weakness. Walking Point Playing defense in the pros will be a breeze after playing Self Defense. Every team has great help inside. Bodying and hand checking are soup du jour.

Talking Point: Distributing and TOs Walking Point: TOs plummit, when he doesn't have to make all the plays all the time. Assists spike.

Talking Point: Not that great. Walking Point: A ring, most career KU wins, number of impact plays, competitive greatness, leadership, good trey shooting, excellent penetration, very good FTing, and unprecedented strength (for a PG) don't lie.

Talking Point: Second rounder. Walking Point: Only if the Think-Outside-the-Box guys like Kupchak/Jackson, Riley/Spoelstra, Walsh/?, Bird/O'Brien, O'Connor/Jerry Sloan, and Ferry/Brown have all gone brain-dead simultaneously.

Talking Point: Won't stick in the L. Walking Point: Sherron will be absolutely stunning playing at 195 in a pick and roll offense

Talking Point: Second round. Walking Point: Any GM that passes on him in the first round, either has all the guards he needs, or is missing a chromosome.

Part II

} Xavier Henry

Talking Point: One Dimensional Walking Point: The next Ron Harper. He will play for some years on a mediocre team, as did Harper, then be picked up eventually by Phil Jackson, or someone else, with a brain that knows how much a 6'6" two guard is worth that can defend, rebound, and stroke threes more beautifully than most painters can paint. He will be disabused of the illusion that he can get to the rim, and only go there on the break, or when there is significant daylight, as Harp learned to do. Henry's problem is that the dim GMs (about half) will think he should swing between 2 and 3, instead of play 2. He could be wasted at the 3, unless he lands with a smart GM/coach combo. He needs to amp his defense, work on his ball handling, and land with Phil and Kobe one day. Kobe on the point and X at the 2 could well become, say, three years from now the greatest back court in the history of the NBA. He would also be a great fit with Rose, but I wouldn't want him to cut into Kirks minutes. :-)

} Cole Aldrich

Talking Point: Lottery Walking Point: No one's going to like his inability to score at all against guys his size or bigger, or his now questionable stamina, or his need for defensive help with 280 pounders and above (i.e., most NBA bigs), but everyone needs a natural rebounder, a shot blocker, a sound hedge-defender on the pick-and-role, even as a back up. His ideal fit would be with a team with a big scoring footer in the post, so Cole could play the enforcer/stick-back 4. He would be awesome in that role at the 4. What no one can take away from Cole is his wing span; that is something that even the stupid NBA GMs understand. A lottery pick in a year without any Maybach footers, but probably lower than expected.

} Gould Evans

Talking Point: Professional praise for interior work Walking Point: Richly deserved inside. But notice no one is receiving professional praise for the practice facility exterior.

Part III

} John Wall

Talking Point: He's the best point guard prospect since Derek Rose. Walking Points: Two key words to remember about Rose, and about Iverson, who Wall is more like. (Note: I know folks call AI a 2 guard, because I have, but, in fact, he handled the ball so much he was the PG whether he brought the ball up, or not.) No rings college, or pro. That being recalled, Wall is the point guard every GM should resist, but likely can't. He can't shoot the trey worth a lick. He isn't even steady as a rock, like Rose. He appears mercurial like Iverson. He's only a 75% FT shooter, but it remains to be seen if he can amp it up to 80%+ as AI did for two short stretches in his NBA career. Wall's not the gifted defender that AI was. But offensively, he is kind of an Allen Iverson plus two inches, or a Derek Rose without the weight and strength. Now. let me digress about AI even more to make my point about Wall.

Study Iverson's stats and you will understand why AI was usually the worst thing that could happen to a team that wanted to win a ring. And note here that his gangsta thang had nothing to do with it. It was simply lack of insight about how to run a team, and weak trey shooting, while being asked to be the number one option, that sank AI. AI was a natural shake and bake scorer, but too mediocre as a trey shooter and only about half the seasons a good enough FT shooter to have been anything but a very good Rajon Rondo; i.e., a distributor playing good defense.

Ring teams need a PG to be able to make the trey, if he shoots a lot of them, or shut up and distribute. AI never reached 35% from trey in his NBA career. Frankly, he was a joke from trey, though he might have been a respectable spot up trey shooter, if he had only been asked to shoot the open ones. But asking AI to "go get a 3" remains one of the stupidest, most wasteful coaching strategies in the history of professional basketball, and even Larry Brown got seduced into it briefly. AI was an impact player without a good trey; this is a trecherous kind of PG--one born to make great plays but kill you with the percentages.

Part IV

What allowed AI to be even as successful as he was were 5 years of 80% or better FT shooting. It was only 80%+ FT shooting that allowed him to score with the efficiency of a good big that can shoot fouls. But then who needs that when good big men can do that, unless of course you happen to have a good big man who can do what a good PG ought to be doing (e.g., Magic Johnson). Champions have point guards that distribute and can shoot the long ball. While point guard penetration is crucial to champions, actually getting to the rim is, frankly, optional, and a ring-winning ingredient largely only if your PG is a terrific FT shooter, otherwise, the percentages kill you over a season and bite you in one key game sooner or later.

AI with a trey and AI with 80%+ FTing might have been one of the three greatest PGs of all time, despite being short. He probably would have won several rings, not just a bunch of individual awards. Just looking at cold hard stats, if he had shot even 39-40 percent from trey, his NBA final team almost certainly would have won with the extra points. And Larry Brown would have seen to more rings for him, if AI had either had a real trey, or played consistent with not having a real trey. But with that stone touch, he and all his teams were doomed unless he started mostly distributing and stopped shooting from different time zones entirely, which neither Brown, nor anyone else, could ever get him to do, at least when he had a good cast around him.

Wall poses the same problem. The team that drafts Wall has to either break him entirely of thinking he's AI, or they have to resign themselves to a crowd pleaser that will never win a ring. He'll get close once, or twice, but he'll never win anything until he learns to play point guard, which he did not do under Calipari.

A great coach of guards could probably teach Wall. Doc Rivers could teach Wall how to play PG to the best of Wall's considerable gifts, which do not include being a high scoring superstar guard. Wall could become quite a bit better than Rajon Rondo, at being Rajon Rondo, because he is a way better FT shooter than Rondo, but, first, Wall would have to be willling to do so. And, second, he would have to find a coach of Rivers' knowledge of how to play point guard, and probably a team president with Danny Ainge's knowledge of how to play guard, in order to find an organization willing to groom him to do it. Rondo is perhaps the worst three-point shooting guard in the NBA, and one of the worst FT shooting PGs in the NBA. But he is an enormously gifted PG in all other regards of playing the point, and enormously lucky to have landed with an organization that really understands ring-winning PG play.

Part V

The same huge mistake made with AI is being made with Derek Rose. Rose is a lousy trey shooter with about an equivalent FT touch to AI. He can score, but not efficiently, and he will never win a ring as a high scoring PG. He already shoots and scores too much in his second season. He is just flat out too inefficient of a scorer to be taking lots of shots, even though he can create them anywhere, and get to the rim most any time he wants.

I argue AI, Rose, and most likely Wall are not real superstars, whether they play point or 2 guard. They are scorers. Superstars are super efficient at what they do. The prototypes for the superstar scorer are guys like Oscar Robertson and Jerry West. They could just flat out shoot and were very athletic. Guys who are very athletic but mediocre shooters are ultimately just entertaining. They are not super about what the game is all about. So long as there are baskets in the game, the game is and will always be foremost about putting the ball in the whole as efficiently as possible. Only the super efficient need apply for superstar status. The rest, no matter how athletic they may be, are role players. Even superstars do not do what they are not super efficient at. AI was a superstar in name only. Rose will be the same unless he gives up the superstar schtick and becomes a role player like Rondo.

In terms of winning rings, everything starts with efficient percentages in all parts of the game. If your team is significantly inefficient in any major shooting category, or any major category for that matter, its chances of winning rings are nill.

Wall drafted as a lottery pick will be forced to play first scoring option PG, like Rose, or first option, ball hogging 2 guard, like AI, much of the time. This will doom him and his team. Wall is good enough to put on a great show. But not good enough to be a superstar guard in college, or the NBA. He is good enough to distribute, if he can learn to play defense. He probably won't be allowed to do either and become the great role playing point guard that he could be...with the right coach and organization.

jaybate 12 years, 1 month ago

John Wall should model his floor game off Rondo...NOT off Allen Iverson, or Derek Rose. For that matter, so should Sherron Collins. The NBA is a different game.

But here's the thing that will cause everyone's hemorrhoids to rupture here: if I were drafting PGs, I would definitely take Sherron before Wall. Sherron can do all the things a point guard needs to do in the NBA as a role player, plus he makes 81% of his FTs, and 37-39% of his treys. If he only has to spot up trey shoot, rather than be the number one got get a basket option, his trey percentage will almost certainly climb. Compare that with what you get with Wall. Hell, compare that with what you get with Rose. Hell, compare that with what you got with AI, had he actually played the role playing point guard, instead of being wasted as a ball hogging scoring machine that could never win a title.

I know everyone doubts Sherron and loves Wall. But I would take Sherron any time, any place, in any league. And I've seen Sherron guard DRose, so I know he can handle that assignment.

Rock Chalk!

Jason Roberts 12 years, 1 month ago

Personally, I would love to see the Lakers draft Sherron Collons. Derek Fisher's contract is up as well as Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown (combo PG-SG). If they bring Fisher back and draft Collins the Lakers set themselves for a penetrating PG with a great 3-point shot. I'll hit up the Lakers' blogs out here and see what people thing about this possibility.

Martin Rosenblum 12 years, 1 month ago

Sherron needs to hire Jaybate as his agent!

JB - Get on a plane now for Vegas and don't leave until draft day when you escort Sherron to the podium to shake hands with David Stern!

lee3022 12 years, 1 month ago

The Draft Express Mock Draft is always posted with both rounds but only the 1st round is displayed on the front page. Sharron is listed as pick 46. This is lazy journalism not to look under the site header NBA Mock Drafts to see the whole thing. You can find it here:

The fixation on size is because the short PGs get taken out of the game by a taller PG who can post up and shoot a short shot over him. Too many times the little guys cannot guard the big guys. With the illegal defense rules as they are in the NBA the small PG cannot get help with a big under the basket unless he double teams which then leads a shooter wide open elsewhere. Can Sharron's body build slow that down? I would think so but it is hard to commit a 1st round choice in a deep draft to find out.

Add that Sharron let his weight go his senior year and played without that explosiveness and the history of other NBA draft picks who were perpetually over weight and out of shape and he has not earned a high pick. An 82 game season with 4 games in 5 nights - often on the road and getting little sleep leaves no room for undisciplined players out of condition.

As far as defense goes, that is assessed by Draft Express to be his biggest strength. He is aggressive, physical and has good lateral quickness and excellent foot speed and most of all is fundamentally sound thanks to Coach Self and staff.

memhawk,

I would make him rich, but anyone could.

Part I

"Whether They Draft Sherron in the First Round, The Fools Should"

People drastically underestimate how good Sherron is, because, frankly, most of them underestimate the most important aspects of what makes a good perimeter player good, especially a great point guard.

Here is why Sherron at the point will be such a great asset to any NBA team. They are the same reasons he was such an asset to KU.

There are three components to going and getting a basket at the end of a close game.

1. Create: The player has to create an open look, either by penetrating, or stepping back and separating to take a trey. In the NBA, even more so than college, it is a huge advantage to be able to do both. Sherron can do this as well as most of the good ones.

2. Make: The player has to shoot a high percentage either penetrating, or stepping back and taking the trey, and ideally both. Sherron shoots very well inside and outside, even though being only 5'11" decreases his percentages some. Why? He can't go over the top of people in the paint and he has to step back farther to get separation on his trey. But he has proven that he can do both and acheive percentages that are better than most.

3. Convert: The player has to be able to shoot 80% + FTs, when fouled. Sherron spiked to 85.5% FTing his senior season. Terrific.

Create, Make, Convert, are at the heart of offense on the perimeter.

On one of Sherron's worst shooting years, he still shot 43% FGA overall, 37% from trey and 85.5% FTs. And this was when many coaches had seen him before, and geared to shut him down, and when down the stretch, no one but he could penetrate a lick, or go get a basket in a pinch, inside, or out.

Part II

There are few other PGs, even in the NBA, that can bring you the percentages Sherron brings you at crunch time; this is why he will be drafted in the first round, or stick if taken in the second.

Everyone focuses waaaaaay to much on the abilities of guys to create shots, and not enough on their percentages on what they make of what they create. And they surely don't focus enough on their FT percentages.

Quite a few NBA players, even some stars, that can create a shot at any moment can't make the shot, or make the trey, or can't consistently convert FTs at 80% plus.

"Many things are half the battle. We are interested in all the battle. Let us take the battle to them, gentlemen."--Eliot Ness played by Kevin Costner in The Untouchables

Creating is not even half the battle in basketball. It is one third of the battle. And because of passing, screening, and teammates, and that combination of things shaking guys loose for baskets, often is not even an equal one third.

Making and Converting are the other two thirds and they may actually be more important. Always remember, when Mario Chalmers hit "The Shot," someone passed it to him. It was Sherron.

Sherron may not be the very best at individually creating, because of being 5'11," but he is very, very good at individually creating. And his superior shooting percentages in trey shooting and FT shooting wipe out the advantage that most taller NBA PGs would hold over him in creating.

Further, those that knock his skill at running a team ought to compare how his team has performed when he is on the floor, and when he is off the floor, as well as the overall W&L statement he amassed as a KU player.

Guys like, AI, DRose, and John Wall, and even the great Michael Jordan (a 2/3, not a pg), during his lousy trey shooting seasons (pre 94 and his last two at Chi and last two with Washington) were very problematic to a team, because when they were depended on to score so much, they were inevitably depended on at crunch time, too, and at crunch time their shooting flaws jeopardized success many times.

Part III

Basically, Jordan compensated for his weak trey three ways: a) he shot 83.5% FTs for his career; b) he was an absolutely deadly mid and short range shooter with phenomenal penetration and elevation abilities [49 freaking percent FGA overall]; and c) Jackson always gave him a Pippen and a designated trifectate. Combine these compensations with being massively protected by NBA refs once his stardom was established, and he was a great, often unstoppable superstar. Add in his five middle years, when he incredibly learned to shoot 40% plus from trey, and he was one of the greatest of all time.

Now consider averages of the likes of AI and Rose and Wall and Collins in comparison, realizing, of course Collins' are only for college, and Wall's only for one year of college in a mickey mouse offense.

Playah: FGA%, Trey%, FT% MJ:50,33,84 AI: 42,31, 78 DR: 48,24,78 JW: 46,32,75 SC: 44,38,81

AI, DRose, JWal and Sherron just could/will never equal 50% FGA overall in an NBA career, if asked to be the man, as MJ was. Why? Because none of them combine MJ's soaring and height and deadly eye in close, and FT accuracy. Sadly, Rose seems almost as affective in close, as MJ, but his trey is just atrocious. So: it is an utter waste of FGAs to let guys like AI, DR, JW, and Sherron squander first option FGAs, when there are in the pros so many bigs that can get you 50-60 percent inside, and still shoot 75% from the line, when fouled.

Part IV

But, in the NBA, guys like AI and DRose have been allowed to squander these 1st option FGAs, when they shouldn't have been allowed to do so.

Why?

Because too many in the NBA are in love with shot creation, not shot making, superstar hype, rather than superstars that make shots and win rings.

As I proceed here, let me set his airness aside, because he was, afterall, a screaming anomaly at both the 2 and the 3 for much of his NBA career, and not a PG. I only included him to because he makes starkly clear just how terrific you have to be in FGA percentage and FT shooting to be great, when your trey sucks for 2/3s of your career.

Now, just look at AI, DR, JW, and Sherron.

AI is flat better at individual creating than Sherron. Wall may be better at individual creating than Sherron. AI and Wall, are both fantastically quick. But once open, they could not shoot the trey nearly as well as Sherron, nor could they come close to his FTing, at least this past season.

Frankly, I would just as soon have Sherron doing what AI did, and what Wall will probably be unwisely asked to do, if I had to pick one of these guys to pretend to be a superstar without the necessary tools.

Why?

At crunch time, Sherron will make a lot more treys and he will convert more FTs than AI, DRose, or Wall. Where AI and Wall and DRose will surpass Sherron will be shooting percentage in close, because they are taller. I give the numbers below to prove these points.

Given my own offensive philosophy, I would rather have Sherron than AI, Rose, or Wall. Sherron will win you more games at crunch time. And because of his superior trey gun, he'll stop opponents momentum more often with his trey the other guys will with their higher inside shooting accuracies.

Part V

With Sherron, and down one, they have to guard both his trey, and his drive, so, even though he is only 5'11", he can penetrate by blowing by them, get the bucket and convert the FTs.

Or he can step back and pot the triceratop. And he's got great range.

Sherron is the money player defined.

Losing that last game of his senior season meant nothing.

Put him in a seven game series, and his trey shooting and FT shooting magnify in importance. Why? Because the percentages favor him. He has seven chances to win four, not one chance to win one.

What made Sherron valuable in college, his trey and his FT shooting, are even more valuable in the NBA play-offs.

Its just a statistical fact.

Michael Jordan lost tons of play-off games. He missed thousands of shots. Until he connected with Jackson and Pippen, he never won a ring in the NBA.

But, when he got the coach, and the right complementary players, over a season, and especially over a seven game series, what he brought to the 2/3 position was just such an overwhelming advantage that, if he had a smart coach and an adequate cast put around him to maximize his strengths and mask his weaknesses, Jordan and his teams prevailed most times. MiJor shot 83.% FT for his career! He shot 49% FGA overall. He shot only 32.7% from trey.

Except for 94-97.

From 94-97 Michael Jordan became not just a hyped superstar, but an actual superman. He became a super trey shooter and those were truly his greatest years, when he still had his legs and drove himself to become a trey shooter. What raised MJ above one of the greats of his era to one of the greatest of all time is that MJ was that for 4-5 years he did the impossible: he willed himself to become a 40%+ trey shooter, to go along with all his other exceptional abilities.

The same is true of Sherron, though not nearly to such a great degree, of course.

Sherron just brings so much more to his PG position than other players, regardless of size and hype.

Part VI

AI, Rose, and Wall are guys who look great till the last minute of a game, or at the moment of a game when the momentum has to be changed decisively to get back in it, and then, because they can't really shoot the long ball, or ice the FTs, as well as Sherron, more than 7, they just don't deliver as many impact plays and wins as Sherron.

But again, I don't think AI, Rose, Wall, or Sherron should ever have been, or should ever be, used as first option scores, or even big scores. They should all have been used as Derrick Fishers, or as Rajon Rondos. And were they used in these roles, as Sherron hopefully will be one day in the NBA, then Sherron would be my preference over Wall, my equal choice versus DRose and a very close second to AI. I would prefer AI not for his scoring, which would be greatly limited in my usage of him. and which Sherron would shoot the trey and FTs better than AI. I would prefer AI for his defense.

Again, I believe Sherron will have a good career as a role playing PG, not a high first, or second, or even third option scoring role. But I think he will be quite a good role playing point guard and a team with a great big guard, a strong 3, and dominant big man could certainly win some rings with Sherron.

KU 12 years, 1 month ago

jaybate.....Really?? That much analysis about something that won't likely occur?? Sherron's body just will NOT allow him to have a "career" in the league, period. He just doesn't have the genes. He won't be able to get to 190 or 195 and his legs won't be able to take the pounding. He's 5'10" and weighs north of 215 (according to NBA combine accounts) even after working out hard in Vegas and trying to cut weight.

Comparing him to AI or Jordan (or even D Rose)? His body won't even allow him to give us enough of a "body of work" in the NBA to say whether he's better than Jameer Nelson, let alone sniff the same locker room as Derek Fisher--two guards with roughly the same build but better "stay healthy" genes than Sherron.

KU,

Yesterday I wrote that Sherron's future depended largely on his wheels.

We agree that if he is not healthy, he won't cut it.

But then that is mastering the obvious on both our parts.

The question considered above is: what can happen if he's healthy?

You say he won't be and you have some history on your side.

I subscribe to T.E. Lawrence's dictum: the future is not written.

Collins can beat the weight game...at least for awhile.

He is mentally strong.

He is smart.

He keeps learning from mistakes.

He has children depending on him.

He can beat the Twinkies.

I'm not saying its certain, but I'm saying he can and he probably will.

And as I wrote, I intentionally picked MJ, AI, Rose and Wall to compare percentages for a change, and get away from comparing body morphologies, as I had done previously in comparing him with squatty bodies present (Fisher) and past (Gail Goodrich).

My whole point here is that Sherron actually has great percentages--the great percentages you need to be great in the L.

People still don't get it.

The guys who win rings in the NBA have great percentages. They are efficient. Sherron, for his position, is very efficient, more efficient in key ways than AI, and much more efficient in key ways than DRose and Wall.

Bottom line, I know many persons that have beaten the weight issue. I also know a lot that haven't. He can beat it.

Charles Barkely had the fat thing hung on him for awhile. After awhile, though, people began to admit that he was not fat, just pleasingly plump. :-)