Friday, March 26, 2010

Milwaukee Bucks sign Darnell Jackson

— It didn’t take Darnell Jackson long to find a job.

Jackson, a former Kansas University power forward who was released by the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday, was picked up by the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday.

The 6-foot-9, 253-pound Jackson will not be eligible for the playoffs if the Bucks reach the postseason.

“Darnell is a good player who works hard, a good kid, a man, and we’ll miss having him around,” Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “He was great in practice.

“Hopefully, he can get to somewhere where he has an opportunity to play. I think that’s important for the next step of his career. Had we kept him here, the mind-set was he was going to be on the inactive list. That wasn’t necessarily good for him. It wasn't good for us. Ultimately, that was a big part of the decision.”

The 24-year-old Jackson was selected by the Miami Heat with the 52nd overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft but was traded to Cleveland for a 2009 second-round pick.

He appeared in 51 games for the Cavaliers last season and averaged 1.9 points and 1.7 rebounds, and he made two starts. He played a total of 113 minutes and scored 21 points (0.8 average) for Cleveland this season.

Comments

Don Everett 12 years, 3 months ago

Good luck Darnell, I will continue to follow your career. Go Bucks!!

WisconsinJayhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Now I have a reason to go catch a Bucks game in Milwaukee.

Theutus 12 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully the switch puts him in a better position to log some more minutes... I literally never watch NBA games, but if I catch one with Chalmers/D-Jack/Heinrick etc, i have to sit and watch....

I wish D-Jack nothing but the best.

Drew Alan 12 years, 3 months ago

The Bucks have been on the rise since they acquired John Salmons at the trade deadline. Hopefully Jackson can break through with them, because they have a nice core of solid young players to build around.

Clarence Haynes 12 years, 3 months ago

This young man is a survivor! Keep plugging D!

chicagoeddie 12 years, 3 months ago

good luck i will watch the bucks too! =)

KUFan90 12 years, 3 months ago

Theutus - Heinrick? really? That's the worst warping of his name I've ever seen...

number1jayhawker 12 years, 3 months ago

And these people who don't even know how to spell some of our most famous Jayhawks names are fans?

gchawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Munich: Actually, it's "it's" not "its". Guess you better apologize to the "moron".

jchief40 12 years, 3 months ago

gchawk you don't know anything I should kick you to the curve sense you don't now how to spell or use grammar good.........................

j/k

Jaminrawk 12 years, 3 months ago

This is actually a great move for D-Block. Milwaukee appears to be a team on the rise with a legit point guard and a very good center (amazing the leap Bogut has made this year). They don't really have any stars at power forward (probably why the happily signed him) so he should fit into the rotation next year.

gchawk 12 years, 3 months ago

jchief40: I probably shouldn't have said anything, obviously it bothered you, I just pointed out to Munich that in his correction and name calling of Theutus he left out an apostrophe. Didn't mean to step on your toes but I'm always interested in when someone wants to "kick me to the curve", whatever that means.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 12 years, 3 months ago

WisconsinJayhawk-

My thoughts exactly! I might actually go see the Bucks now just to see Darnell. Otherwise I really don't care about the NBA.

jchief40- you kick someone to the "curb", not the "curve." also, it's "since" not "sense"

my god, what the hell are the schools doing to our kids these days? i'm assuming you're 20 or younger. you should go to KU and get an education.