Monday, January 18, 2010

Texas No. 1 for second straight week

Texas is number one for a second week in The Associated Press and USA Today college basketball polls.

The Longhorns (17-0) moved into the top spot for the first time in school history last week. They stayed there Monday, receiving 57 first-place votes from the 65-member national media panel.

Kentucky (18-0) was No. 1 on eight ballots and remained second in the AP poll. Kansas, Villanova and Syracuse held at third through fifth. The top five spots were unchanged for the second straight week in the USA Today poll as well. The Purdue Boilermakers, previously ranked sixth in both polls, dropped to 13th in the AP and 15th in the USA Today poll after losing to Ohio State and Northwestern last week.

The Jayhawks opened conference play in Lincoln with a win over Nebraska, then dismantled Texas Tech at home.

North Carolina dropped from 12th to 24th in the AP after losing two games last week and three of its last four. The Tar Heels are below 13th for the first time since February 2006. They're hanging around in USA Today voting as well at 23. Baylor crept into the AP poll at 25.

See how Tom Keegan voted.

Complete polls are below

20. Northern Iowa Panthers 16-1 252
  21. Ohio State Buckeyes 13-5 228
  22. Ole Miss Rebels 13-4 211
  23. Mississippi State Bulldogs 15-3 189
  24. North Carolina Tar Heels 12-6 161
  25. Baylor Bears 14-2 147

Others receiving votes: Vanderbilt 122, Connecticut 98, New Mexico 96, U-A-B 59, Virginia 50, Florida State 41, Butler 35, Texas A&M; 28, Cornell 15, William & Mary 15, Wake Forest 13, Rhode Island 11, Marquette 10, Missouri 8, Louisiana Tech 7, Northwestern 6, Old Dominion 3, Arizona State 3, Marshall 2, Xavier 2, Harvard 1, Siena 1.

USA TODAY/ESPN

20. Butler Bulldogs 14-4 162
  21. Connecticut Huskies 11-6 113
  22. Northern Iowa Panthers 16-1 111
  23. North Carolina Tar Heels 12-6 108
  24. Ole Miss Rebels 13-4 71
  25. Ohio State Buckeyes 13-5 70

Others receiving votes: Baylor 53, Mississippi State 29, Vanderbilt 29, New Mexico 25, Cornell 24, Florida State 17, St. Mary's-CA 16, Arizona State 15, U-A-B 14, U-N-L-V 11, William & Mary 8, Rhode Island 7, Virginia 7, Michigan 6, Dayton 5, Missouri 5, Oklahoma State 5, Notre Dame 3, San Diego State 2, California 1, Old Dominion 1, Texas A&M; 1, Xavier 1.

The Associated Press contributed to this story

Comments

3GJayhawk 12 years, 6 months ago

North Carolina should not be ranked anymore.

Dyrk Dugan 12 years, 6 months ago

four schools in the top 25...not too shabby.

we need the grapes to win tonight, so we can get back to #2 at least. we're three times tougher right now in SOS than UK...and twice as tough as UT.

KSU 75 UT 69

Go Jayhawks!

Brett Arnberger 12 years, 6 months ago

I think Pullen and Clemente struggle with Texas' guard pressure.

Texas - 81 KState - 70

Chris Shaw 12 years, 6 months ago

I usually agree more with the AP poll than I do the ESPN/Coaches Poll. It is amazing that UNC and UConn are both ranked? I don't get it! It is what it is!

As for the KSU/Texas game tonight. I think it's going to be an extrememly good game tonight. I have to disagree with Ambersqueenee because I think KSU pulls the semi-upset (I don't think it really would be an upset). KSU has the best/intense on the ball pressure in the country out on the perimeter. There is a reason why they lead the country in fouls per game and lead the rest of the Big 12 by over 30 fouls for the season total.

It's a known fact that Texas is not a very good free-throw shooting team so with KSU probably giving up a lot of fouls early will test the Longhorns at the line. This game is in Little Manhattan and KSU has played Texas very well in the last few years. I think it's going to be a close game, but I am going with KSU 83-80 because it's so hard to win on the road in the Big 12. Pullen has had a lackluster last couple of games and I think he is going to go off. Clemente loves big games and as long as they don't get into a "Jawing Match" I think KSU pulls out the win.

Chris Corley 12 years, 6 months ago

Yes. Pulling for purple big time tonight.

Also, you must respect Tennessee for continuing to take care of business.

And, hey voters, give me a break with UNC still in the Top 25. Even Katherine Harris thinks that's a little shady. Even ACORN thinks that's not on the up and up.

Meanwhile, Lunardi has UNC as a 6 seed playing in the SOUTH region. But, ya know, where else are you supposed to ask all-glorious UNC to play?

Oh well. Happy MLK. Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 12 years, 6 months ago

North Carolina at #23? Wow, better get rid of Roy. It is surprising they are even ranked. UCONN at #21? It's that East Coast bias thing, again--imagine that? Have said this before--I am a Wildkittie fan for one night. The place will be rockin'! It will be a close game. It is tough to win on the road in the Big 12. But in the end, K-SUCKS WINS! Plan on stormin' the floor tonight by the students and fans. Unfortunately, the Big 12 doesn't have the SEC rule if one decides to storm the floor. It will be fun to see Texas lose the #1 ranking! RCJHGOKU!

Infidels_I_keel_u 12 years, 6 months ago

I checked how the 65 AP voters tallied. About half of the voters kicked UNC out of the top 25, and the other half put them as high as 14. Big descrepancy. Interesting... both of the North Carolina AP voters kicked them out. ...I think Baylor could handle the Heels with no problem, along with a LOT of other teams. Cornell is another.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you, jwliddell...don't want KSU to be the ones to take out the 'horns. Also, don't want to see UK take over the #1 spot...ever.

Agree on UNC...a 6-loss team in the top 25 is reasonable for late February/early March...NOT January!!!

duanep5ku 12 years, 6 months ago

I agree with the posters on this site about wanting Texas to win tonight.So here's my reasoning for wanting Texas to win tonight. It would give KSU two loses in big 12 play and KSU is coming to play KU soon in Lawrence and if KSU loses at Allen. The they will have 3 loses,hopefully KU will have none. I just think that would help separate the top two teams in the league if Texas wins tonight and KSU loses a home game. "Oh the main reason we should all want Texas to win tonight Jay hawk fans,keep this in mind, We all know UK has been watching KU and waiting for us to lose and now their fan base has moved to watching Texas play. hoping they lose. Their dying to be number one again ,So if Texas wins tonight it we be another bad week for their fans and we know how bad their fans are now. Do we really want UK to be number one?

KU 12 years, 6 months ago

I'm rooting for Texas tonight. I want our battle in Austin to be #1 against #2 for all the marbles. It would be an epic, in the tradition of recent KU-UT battles--a great way to highlight the best of the Big 12 on Big Monday February 8th. This has become a great rivalry over the last decade. It would be THE biggest Big Monday game of the season,with hype beyond compare. Win or lose, it will prepare KU for March. I don't think Barnes is a great game coach, but the guy does things the right way, he's a class act, and he can recruit with the best of 'em.

I previously was rooting for KSU because I wanted us to be the first to win a conference game at Bramlage this season, but I changed my mind. As long as we GET a conference win in Bramlage, I don't care if we're the 2nd team to win there. Besides, my KSU friends are getting a little overbearing because of their Top 10 rating.

Hook 'em!

mandomax 12 years, 6 months ago

Texas is a solid #1 but they won't remain undefeated. All of their major victories have been at home with the exception of North Carolina, which was in Arlington, a whopping 3 hours away. Also, one could argue that NC isn't that big of a win this year considering their downward spiral. In fact, the Longhorns have only played two true away games: at Iowa St and at Arkansas. Pittsburgh and Iowa were both on a neutral court in Kansas City.

UT was forced into overtime at home against A&M last week. Look for them to struggle this week with games at KSU and at UCONN.

Mike Kendall 12 years, 6 months ago

Bob Knight doing the game tonight on ESPN. He is already disagreeing with the officiating--imagine that?!!!!!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 12 years, 6 months ago

Uh, there's alot to disagree about. I didn't know Texas had a hockey team.

KU 12 years, 6 months ago

Boys, KU doesn't have anybody besides Sherron that is willing to play in a war like we are seeing between KSU and UT tonight. When we go there, I''m afraid we will get knocked out in the first half with our softies.

This is a game of men right here. I love it. Wish we had as much passion as KSU does. These boys are laying it on the line.

Mike Kendall 12 years, 6 months ago

BC-- looks like you cracked a funny!

KU-- We'll be alright when we're at Manhattan and Austin--Bill Self won't allow soft play period!

BCRavenJHawkfan 12 years, 6 months ago

mikendal, The officials did finally regain control. And I'm with you, our guys will man up and have the brass jock straps on when we play them both.

BCRavenJHawkfan 12 years, 6 months ago

And I doubt Self will put up with running up and down the court with nothing to show for it.

Mike Kendall 12 years, 6 months ago

BC--

You took the words out of my mouth--definitely concur!

Mike Kendall 12 years, 6 months ago

Darn, Keegan's team lost--I guess they can't be #1!

After watching both teams play, I am somewhat convinced that the Jayhawks can beat both K-State and Texas on the road. However, any slight little slump, or we have bad passing or we get lazy on the boards, then, we can get beat by these teams. Based on our improvement against Texas Tech and based on how bad both K-State and Texas played tonight at times, I feel much better about KU's chances when they go on the road to play these teams--@ K-State, Jan. 30th; @ Texas, Feb. 8th. Good luck against the Bears on Wednesday, Jayhawks!

waywardJay 12 years, 6 months ago

Not anymore. unfrotunately.... Considering Kentucky's only opponent this week is 9-8 and it's in Rupp.... expect the Cheetahs to be 1 on Monday.

gchawk 12 years, 6 months ago

Just an observation after watching the KSU/Texas game, KSU proved they could win, but they don't know how to be winners. What a classless group of individuals, both team and fans. I detest the "overrated" chant, if you think about it, it is an insult to your own team. Are they chanting "overrated" because you were able to beat them and your own team isn't really all that good ? I know, I know, why they're doing it, but I hope we, our fans, don't ever resort to that stupid chant. And that's all I have to say about that!!!!

Joe Baker 12 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe you chant anything in this B12 Conf. I wouldn't be surprised if kstate designs a shirt from this game.

RCJHKU Beat Baylor

David Leathers 12 years, 6 months ago

KU, show a little faith brother! Jeez that was a good game, but all I could sit there and think was that there is no way in hell that Self lets us play as bad as either team played in the second half. KState did everything they could to lose the game, and Texas just wanted them to win it.

RCJHGKU Beat Baylor!!

Steve Brown 12 years, 6 months ago

This is a toss up yet for me I"ll root for the Big 12 team with the more losses to beat the higher seeded team. Tonight I want Texas loss.

Gives us a better chance to win or tie for the Big 12 banner.

Whatever happens, I 'd prefer not to be #1 when we go to Manhattan. Heck 2 or 3 or 4 but not another #1 for that purple crazies.

Havinng Calimari and KYJelly ranked #1 all year is fine with me, harder they fall at march dance.

Matt Bowers 12 years, 6 months ago

This is the order I see the NCAA rankings and this is based on watching almost every televised game this season. Here goes nothing.

1. Syracuse
  2. Kentucky
  3. Kansas
  4. Villanova
  5. Texas

Pitt or Cinci as my dark horses right now. KState is too emotional in my eye's to stay at the top, sort of like the Bronco's.

The most important aspect of my top 5 is who has the most room for improvement.

Rock Chalk

hawksince51 12 years, 6 months ago

KUstrong--Agree about the 'cuse. They have very experienced players and as usual the tough zone D. However, it seems unlikely that both KU and Texas stay in the top 5 very long given the tough road games they both face in the Big 12. At this point I am hoping for a 2-seed for KU and predicting a 3 for TX come March. Also, I live in CO and am a Bronco fan. KSU coach may be as emotional as Denver's teen-age coach but KSU players are a lot better and will be way better than .500.

Dyrk Dugan 12 years, 6 months ago

kustrong,

not a bad top 5, but KU is ahead of UK...much tougher schedule. (i don't care about who's undefeated...although i love Wall.) Cincy just lost to Seton Hall and St. John's back to back, so a dark horse is a stretch for them. they're more likely to get beat in the 1st round, if they make it.

1. Syracuse
  2. KU
  3. Kentucky
  4. Texas
  5. Duke

any of you UT winner predictors want to explain yourselves? the win last night is very good for KU, and makes the game on Jan. 30, that much more fun. Texas got exposed....and they have been getting exposed a lot lately.

KGphoto 12 years, 6 months ago

That's what happens with the #1 tag. You need an iron jaw. I love watching other teams squirm against inferior teams once they obtain the uno. Kansas has had to do it so often, but most teams (Texas) don't experience that. Kentucky is going down as soon as they get crowned. They've no jaw whatsoever. Tennessee and Miss St. will both come out swinging, and both could easily win.

Kansas can take a punch. You give them a reason to bring it, you'll see a true number one. Everything is gonna play out nicely and KU (and maybe Syracuse) has as good a chance as anyone to be the last team standing.

Matt Bowers 12 years, 6 months ago

hawkin, KGphoto, and mvhawk: do you think that this is a proper adjustment for a top 5 and 1?

1. Syracuse
  2. Kentucky (undefeated)
  3. Kansas
  4. Villanova
  5. MSU (experience)

Who is the dark horse, maybe Gonzaga? KGphoto, do we really want to see Syracuse again? All I can think of is 2003 and last season. So tired of the 'Cuse, but they are good.

Steve Brown 12 years, 6 months ago

in april you can praise my insight. Final Four is below:

Pick one from each line:

1. DUke or BYU West