Thursday, December 31, 2009

KU lands four-star cornerback

Dave Clark, a four-star cornerback out of Independence (Kan.) Community College, has informed new Kansas University coach Turner Gill that he will sign with the Jayhawks, according to Rivals.com.

Originally expected to sign with KU on junior college signing day Dec. 16, Clark reopened his recruitment following the departure of former Kansas coach Mark Mangino and the school’s subsequent coaching search.

Following a recent visit to Lawrence and a conversation with Gill, however, Clark became sold on Kansas, a team that loses two of its top defensive backs — Darrell Stuckey and Justin Thornton — to graduation.

Clark, who missed the 2009 season with a torn ACL, is a mid-year graduate and told Rivals he will enroll at Kansas for the spring semester. He was expected to fax his letter of intent to KU on Wednesday afternoon, according to the Web site.

Clark becomes the second member of the Jayhawks’ 2010 signing class, joining three-star junior college quarterback Quinn Mecham.

Comments

100 12 years, 7 months ago

Bring 'em on in Coach Gill!!!!!!

P.S. Might be a good time to give a few Florida, Notre Dame & Texas Tech recruits a visit...

Let the dynasty begin....

Dyrk Dugan 12 years, 7 months ago

it's a good sign, that Coach Gill can keep these blue chips on board. Welcome Mr. Clark!

IrishHawk 12 years, 7 months ago

Great news! Should we be worried that we just signed a corner coming off of a missed season due to a torn ACL though?

rolo2383 12 years, 7 months ago

iirc Huldon Tharp hardly played his senior year in high school b/c of the same injury.

huskercarpenter 12 years, 7 months ago

great job turner, i think he will continue to bring in mangino's recruits plus a couple of surprises.

okay now, we were told that turner would have his coaching staff together by the 29th. so why havn't we heard anything. i am not complaining about gill but why hasn't there been any articals. reporters are supposed to report, yes this is the coaching staff or there has been some setbacks, this is what has happened thus far.

please keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!! very little info is better than none.

Joe Baker 12 years, 7 months ago

Here we go!

Recruit, Recruit, Recruit!!

RCJHKU

kranny 12 years, 7 months ago

Great start to his tenure. Not to get picky-but could we refrain from referring to coach as "Buffalo Gill'. I know it's sounds catchy but it's also a bit sophomoric.

rhino11 12 years, 7 months ago

Great news. The big boys were on him hard, impressive that Gill beat out LSU.

youowethehawks 12 years, 7 months ago

Irish-

ACL injuries aren't what they used to be. The procedure has gotten much better over the last couple of years.

As you may remember, Brandon Rush came back for another year instead of leaving for the NBA due to an ACL tear. He had a "pretty good" season after the injury.

Nosotros Creamos! Viva HCTG!

Dennis Mahorney 12 years, 7 months ago

OU is in knee deep on the Geno Grissom recruiting trail here in Hutch. Venerables and crew have been visiting IN PERSON as I understand. Grissom said He did recieve a call from coach Gill awhile back, letting him know they were still interested in the rivals four star nationally # 14 ranked Defensive end. Grissom has had FACE to FACE visits with LSU here in Hutchinson I hear. Asked if KU was still in the running, He acknowledged He may not even take a KU visit, because of time factors. Suprised coach Gill was not all over this one. His upside is amazing.Oklahoma message boards think they have him now. He is huge, with freakish closing speed...Maybe Gill has a glut of top ten defensive ends wanting to come and sign with us. If thats the case, I can see how paying Grissom a visit would have been a waste of time.

Ron_Kellogg 12 years, 7 months ago

As most folks in Hutch know, his name is Geneo, not Geno

bad_dog 12 years, 7 months ago

huskercarpenter: HCTG interviewed two coaching candidates yesterday.

justanotherfan 12 years, 7 months ago

I think Gill is making the right move getting some juco guys to plug huge holes. It's not like it's in his best interests to put up a three or four win season next year.

I agree that we need to nail down in-state recruits and close the borders, especially from Stoops and Co. down at OU, since they are currently KILLING us in Kansas (Blake Bell, Justin McCay).

Dan Harris 12 years, 7 months ago

If we lose Grissom I will be one pissed off Jayhawk fan(and former Salthawk) Gill, pull out all the stops and put the full court press on now before its too late! I guarantee you wont be able to replace that kind of talent from the end position this year.

Dirk Medema 12 years, 7 months ago

Gill isn't going the Juco route as much as he is keeping the existing recruiting class intact. There also have been lots of articles concerning the future coaching staff. Gill just isn't ready to announce the entire staff yet.

huskercarpenter 12 years, 7 months ago

to those of you stressing about the recruits, relax you will not get everybody you want and that is okay, example, earlier this year in a matter of a week nebr. had i think 4 recruits that had vebally commited, decommit. what they told the coaches was that they weren't sure if they would fit into the new conservative offense that the huskers were running. bo didn't seem to make a big deal out of it.

having told you this story, how many of you think that if those recruits saw the holiday bowl last night were thinking to themselves, i wish i would just kept my mouth shut! talent and athletic ability are very important but dedication, beliving in yourself when you do make desisions and an outstanding work ethic to me are far better traits to look for when recruiting. matt o'hanlon 1 of nebr. d.b. was a walk-on and after that performance last night i believe he will be given a shot in the pro's.

MitchumMan 12 years, 7 months ago

Jayhawkslant.com

Gill to add secondary coach to staff

It appears Turner Gill is filling out the least of his staff with experienced and proven coaches. Multiple sources have told Jayhawk Slant Gill will add a coach to his staff that has been a defensive coordinator at the division one level and coached a team to national championship in the early stages of his career.

Dan Harris 12 years, 7 months ago

mitchumman-who would that be or are you trying yo sell slant m-ships?

MitchumMan 12 years, 7 months ago

No, I don't work for them. haha I go there daily to get updates. They tend to post things way fast than some other sites. I don't have a membership though so I have no clue who they are talking about. I'd be happy to know though if someone does have a membership. I just wanted people to know that Gill is still working on finding great coaches.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 7 months ago

And it's "Venables" NOT "Venerables"...geez!

ramsey76 12 years, 7 months ago

It looks like the new DB coach is Vic Shealy who was the defensive coordinator for Richmond last year.

huskercarpenter 12 years, 7 months ago

richmond i think has been in the playoffs in their division for the last few years. this is good news.

thank you guys for some info sometimes i get a little impatiant. i always have a hard time when college football starts to come to an end.

it is a little depressing!!!!!!!!!!!!

MitchumMan 12 years, 7 months ago

Found this on RichmondSpiders.com about Vic Shealy:

Vic Shealy was introduced as Richmond's defensive coordinator in February 2009, joining Mike London's staff after four seasons at UNLV. Shealy - a 1984 Richmond alum - possesses nearly 23 years of coaching experience and is the son of former Richmond head coach Dal Shealy.

Shealy replaced Russ Huesman, who was named head coach at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on December 22 -- three days after the Spiders captured the Division I National Championship.

Shealy's coaching career spans six different schools, including Azusa Pacific where he won the school's first-ever NAIA National Championship in 1998 and was named NAIA National Coach of the Year and won the American Football Quarterly Schutt National Coach of the Year Award. In four years as the head coach, he turned a struggling program into a champion and compiled a record of 27-14-1.

He moved from there to Air Force where he spent six seasons as the secondary coach from 1999-2004. In that time, the Falcons reached the Silicon Valley Bowl (2000), the San Francisco Bowl (2002) and finished among the national leaders in both passing defense and scoring defense in 1999 and 2003.

At UNLV for the last four seasons, Shealy served as the assistant head coach, secondary coach, defensive coordinator (2005-07) and pass defensive coordinator (2008). In 2007, the Rebels finished 22nd in the NCAA in pass defense.

Recruiting Area: Western North Carolina (336,704,828,980), California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon

Dennis Mahorney 12 years, 7 months ago

Sorry about the spelling, the information about Geneo now considering not even visiting KU on the 15th is correct.

Bryan Mayes 12 years, 7 months ago

I don't know how excited I am over this recruit. It all depends on how you value the 4 star rating Clark is tagged with. Being from SEK, and knowing the ICC football program, I will not be holding my breath for Clark to be the saving grace for our DB's. Please Clark, prove me wrong!

Mike Kendall 12 years, 7 months ago

Anybody with a four-star or even a three-star by their name, has to improve KU's defense for next season. Just think, if we had a decent defense this past season to go along with our offense, our won-loss record would have been a lot better. I hope we continue to sign more defensive standouts--keep 'em coming Coach Gil!

Bryan Mayes 12 years, 7 months ago

mikendal, I agree, it has to be an improvement, and I am not saying it won't be. I am just a bit pessimistic I guess. Like I said, knowing the program, I think it's easier for an average 2-3 star kind of guy, to appear like a 4 star. An improved defense last year certainly would have improved our overall record, so let's hope he blossoms into a leader for our D!

rockemchalkemrobots 12 years, 7 months ago

notorioushawk,

You signed up for an account just so you could trash the ICC program? Ron Warner was a juco all-american at ICC, and his career at KU seemed to go OK. ICC currently has five players on BCS conference teams, so their program cannot be all that bad.

NebraskaJayhawk 12 years, 7 months ago

This is nice news. Clark has stayed comitted through all of this. The big recruit we need though is Grissom. Get him signed...he's reopened recruiting and is making a visit to LSU very soon.

Jayhawksrule2009 12 years, 7 months ago

WOW. Sounds like the Kansas Jayhawks are trying to become the Texas LongHorns of the Ivy League

a 4 star cornerback. Come on. Is that all the Kansas Jayhawks can afford. Bring on the 5 star players

Bryan Mayes 12 years, 7 months ago

rockemchalkemrobots,

Yes, trashing the ICC program is the ONLY reason I signed up for an account. I guess now that I have accomplished that, I should disappear from the boards and never post again. I signed up because its a free world, and because I wanted to offer my own opinion, much like everyone else here. Ron Warner was a great player at ICC, but what was that, 10+ years ago? I am talking about recent history. That football program has not had more than 3 wins in any one season over the last 9 years. Combined record during that time, something like 20-61. So yes, the program can be all that bad. I am not saying good players cannot come out of awful programs. And I'm not saying Clark will be a bust. I simply expressed that I am a bit reluctant to jump on this "4-star" bandwagon just yet. Again, as i previously stated, I HOPE he proves me wrong.

rockemchalkemrobots 12 years, 7 months ago

Regardless of your personal opinion of ICC, the statement that his rating is increased by the low quality of his team is asinine. Independence did win more than 3 games in 2007, but had to forfeit 2 games. That probably furthers your point about the program more than it disputes it. My point was that they have some talent going through there, and continue to send kids to major programs, not that they are a perennial power. It is truly a free country. I was not calling for your removal, simply pointing out that your first post was a trash of ICC. I HOPE you prove me wrong and you live up to the ambitious moniker you have given yourself.

Bryan Mayes 12 years, 7 months ago

I guess I chose the wrong words in my original post. More than anything, I worry that he is/was more of a 'system' type of guy. That being said, I have full confidence in HCTG, and also still respect the fact that he had committed to our previous coach, and stayed with his choice in the end. That shows character, which is something the program really needs at this time. I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about Clark personally, which is why I took the avenue of downgrading ICC, our recruiting staff obviously has seen him play, and feel like he will be a good fit here. I have not seen or read anything about him, but if TG wants him here, then it must be for good reason. Community colleges provide a great transition into the D-I game, and as you stated, the can and do produce good athletes to major programs. Regardless of how this turns out, I AM looking forward to an improved team next season. Rock Chalk!

Steve Brown 12 years, 7 months ago

How many of Mad Mark's boys have we lost- and we need to know how many left us for TTech? he he