Thursday, October 9, 2008

KU hoops adds Hinson to staff

Former Missouri State head basketball coach Barry Hinson will join Kansas University's staff as an administrative assistant, KU coach Bill Self confirmed Wednesday.

Hinson, who was fired last March after nine seasons at the Springfield, Mo., school, was an assistant under Self for three years at Oral Roberts.

Self said Hinson's post would include administrative work as well as fundraising duties. He'll be able to attend practice and games, but not be allowed to coach players in accordance with NCAA rules.

"He will definitely come up (to KU) and help out with the program, but also do some things that would be an asset to administrators in the athletic department," Self said. "He will have responsibilities which could entail fundraising."

Hinson is expected to begin his new duties Wednesday.

"I not only consider it a privilege, but an honor to become part of a storied and traditioned university as Kansas and to go back to work with my old friend, Bill Self," Hinson told the Springfield News-Leader. "I'd like to say thank you to Springfield and 'Go Bears.' I leave with no animosity whatsoever," added Hinson, who will move to Lawrence with his wife, Angie. Hinson said he wants to be a Div. I coach again someday, but could remain in athletic administration if he enjoys his new duties.

¢ ¢ ¢

Simien to Spain: Former KU forward Wayne Simien has signed a contract with a team based in Caceres, Spain. The team plays in Spain's basketball league, Liga Española de Baloncesto, known as LEB.

Simien, who played for the Miami Heat two seasons, sat out last season rehabbing from knee surgery.

¢ ¢ ¢

Recruiting: Dominic Cheek, a 6-5 senior from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J., will visit KU for the Oct. 17 Late Night, Villanova on Oct. 24 and Memphis on Oct. 31. He has yet to set dates for trips to Indiana and Pittsburgh, Zagsblog.net reports. ... Elijah Johnson, 6-2 senior from Cheyenne High in Las Vegas, has narrowed his list to KU, Texas and Oklahoma, according to Rivals.com. Johnson will visit KU for Late Night.

Comments

jaybate 14 years, 2 months ago

Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off!It is a now archaic form of high praise from the early days of the net.Every once in awhile, I like to reach back to the digital legacy, too."mouth-breathing children."I'm laughing again as I type it.Absolutely great!

Martin Rosenblum 14 years, 2 months ago

Hey jaybate,I give up! In a response to one of my posts, re: "mouth-breathing children", were the letters..ROTFLMAO.Care to solve the puzzle for me?

Michael Mulvihill 14 years, 2 months ago

I live in oklahoma city right now and to hear these poeple talk i laugh to myself everyday.God forbid i pick up an Oklahoma accent.

Michael Auchard 14 years, 2 months ago

I've heard only the nicest things about Barry Hinson. This is should work out great for the Hawks. Good pickup.

jyhwk1187 14 years, 2 months ago

anyone know why hinson isn't allowed to coach our players? he's such a great coach, i would think that the best thing for our young team would be to have a coach like that.

jaybate 14 years, 2 months ago

Cheek and Johnson...now that too could be an excellent guard tandem to add to Tyshaun.What I like most about this year's [recruit opps--Cheek, Wall, Henry, Stephenson--is that there are a bunch of true twos interested in coming to KU.Yeah, yeah, they all want to be points, and maybe they all will be, but they are the size of true twos and so can defend true twos without help.With Releford this year, when he gets his D down, we are going to see just how much better Selfian defense (note: yeah, I just coined that, Urban Dictionary, as in "Went to KU, dude, got me a Ph.d. in Selfian defense) can be, when there is a true two on the wood. TR has the length and quickness to lock down on all the future Aaron Afflalos and CDRs KU will run into...without having to shift a lock down three like BRush (Mario Little?) onto guards from time to time. Imagine Self having right-sized, lock-downs at the 2 AND 3 spots. KU's wreak-havoc, passing-lane defense may hold some teams scoreless FOR A FORTY!Rock Chalk Defense,Wreak Havoc KU!

KU 14 years, 2 months ago

Great to have Hinson on the staff. When I read the headline I was horrified because my initial thought was "Oh no, not Steve Henson!" Hinson will be another pair of eyes at practice. I'm sure he will have input with the coaching staff, letting them know what he sees. He will bring a fresh perspective from the outside, which is always a good thing.

featherlover 14 years, 2 months ago

Just you all wait til you meet Barry Hinson. He is one of the nicest and energetic men you will ever meet. What a great hire for Coach Self & the program. Although he will be unable to coach on the court, he will be a major asset to Coach, the program and the players. In OK, we couldnt be happier for both men and the Jayhawks!!

jaybate 14 years, 2 months ago

"I not only consider it a privilege, but an honor to become part of a storied and traditioned university as Kansas..."--Barry HinsonThat syntax. That vocabulary. Traditioned?Barry even talks like Coach Self. :-)Wouldn't you just love to hear the Edmond, Oklahoma, high school debate team?Affirmed: There is an Oklahoma dialect of English.

Jaydub 14 years, 2 months ago

Cheek has Raaaange. I've seen several youtube highlights where he hits shots from 23 feet and beyond.

Michael Mulvihill 14 years, 2 months ago

"anyone know why hinson isn't allowed to coach our players?"He wasent hired as a coach is one reason.

John Brown 14 years, 2 months ago

jyhwk, Each Div 1 team is only allowed a certain number of coaching positions. When Danny came he could not coach initially either. I think that he just has to wait until a position opens which could happen next year. So he basically will be Redshirted this year.

Martin Rosenblum 14 years, 2 months ago

If you like that one, here's my alternate most favorite description of those Tiger faithful who "invaded" our boards recently. "OPPOSABLE THUMB CHALLENGED"Use these sparingly with my compliments. Actually, there is another U of M tiger team that has their share of these as well.

jaybate 14 years, 2 months ago

memhawk,You are my official Thesaurus for Retrograde Memphis Fans.If they keep coming back, I am relying on you for descriptors.Rock Chalk!

billswinners 14 years, 2 months ago

As a Jayhawk who has lived in Branson MO. the past eight years, I can confirm that KU has a great hire in coach Hinson. We have followed the Bears the past eight years at their home games and he coached up tempo offense and in your face defense. He had a great winning percentage, but coule not get to the big dance. Several years the selection committee just seemed to ignore MSU and their record. MSU recently hired a new president and will soon open a new Basketball Arena. The long time AD has just announced his retirement, so I think the school is trying to start fresh with all new people. Coach Hinson is a class act and is a great addition for KU.