Monday, February 25, 2008

KU draws sixth ‘08 commitment with PG Appleton

photo

Tyrone Appleton

The Kansas University men's basketball program on Monday received its sixth commitment for the 2008-09 season. It comes in the form of junior college point guard Tyrone Appleton.

The 6-foot-3 Appleton, who is a sophomore at Midland (Texas) CC, chose KU over Iowa State and Kentucky.

"The players, coaches and the tradition are some of the things that stood out to me," Appleton said. "I knew Kansas was the school for me during my last unofficial visit. I will do whatever it takes to win, whatever the coaching staff wants me to do. I just want to help them win a National Championship."

Originally from Gary, Ind., Appleton was ranked as the No. 124 prospect in his high school graduating class two years ago by Rivals.com. This year, he was a preseason NJCAA All-American. So far, the nation's No. 3-ranked juco prospect is averaging 12.5 points, 5.3 assists, 2.3 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game for the 26-3 Chaparrals.

The rest of KU's '08 recruiting class consists of:

-Mario Little - 6-5, 210, G/F, Chicago, Ill. (Washington HS/Chipola (Fla.) CC)

-Marcus Morris - 6-8, 220, F, Philadelphia, Pa. (Prep Charter HS/APEX Academy (N.J.))

-Markieff Morris - 6-10, 230, F/C, Philadelphia, Pa. (Prep Charter HS/APEX Academy (N.J.))

-Travis Releford - 6-5, G/F, Roeland Park, Kan. (Miege HS)

-Quintrell Thomas - 6-8, 235, F, Elizabeth, N.J. (St. Patrick HS)

For more on this story, log back onto KUSports.com and pick up Tuesday's Journal-World.

Comments

hawkitup 14 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Nice pick up. I wonder what is going to happen though if no one leaves early after this year? Does anybody think any of these new recruits will get tired of the lack of playing time and end up transferring? Or do you think there really will be enough playing time to go around?

Robert Brock 14 years, 2 months ago

Breaking News: Admitting a remarkable miscalculation, Bill Self announced that the Jayhawks inadvertantly gave away their last available scholarship and do not have one for their top 2009 target Xavier Henry.

Dalman 14 years, 2 months ago

Arthur will be gone. Rush will be gone. Chalmers maybe gone.

frompekka2sasha 14 years, 2 months ago

Dalman- Not to mention that Morningstar's pop can afford to pay for his education, if necessary.

JBurtin 14 years, 2 months ago

You get 13 scholarships

Lately we've been limited to 12

So by my count if nobody leaves early then we will have only:

7 scholarship players left + 5 incoming recruits = 12

That leaves a 13th for next year.

JBurtin 14 years, 2 months ago

To clarify, I believe Kleinman is technically on scholarship right now, which would give us 8 remaining players on scholarship.

However, Self gave him the scholly with the understanding that it was temporary and he would come back off of it if we signed another player.

So if somebody leaves early, he can keep it, if Xavier Henry comes and nobody leaves, then he'll give his away.

No problems.

JBurtin 14 years, 2 months ago

Wait, I'm retarded. We have 6 incoming guys not five. Kleinman will have to give up his scholarship to allow Appleton to come in.

However, we will still have the scholarships available, I was getting my years mixed up.

The guys that we just signed will start playing next school year (2008-2009).

If Rush and Chalmers don't leave early, then they will be Seniors next year anyway.

That opens up 2 scholarships for the year after (2009-2010) even if nobody leaves early.

Whoo, [wipes the sweat from his brow] okay I got through it. Who would have thought 3rd grade math would be this difficult. lol

Lance Hobson 14 years, 2 months ago

I think Bill Self knows best about how to manage his scholarships, but I'm sure he'll call you clowns if he needs some help

LAJayhawk 14 years, 2 months ago

Great commintment. Welcome to the squad Tyrone.

Greg Lux 14 years, 2 months ago

Arthur won't be gone ( he need another yr minimum to get the muscle needed to compete at the NBA level he is to light and his defense is to poor ) Rush will have to step it up another level, but he has the posibility of doing it. Chalmers will be here he needs to polish his long range shooting ( at the moment hes not shooting for some reason ) .. Just my take on this subject...

63Jayhawk 14 years, 2 months ago

Where did these crazy comments about Xavier Henry and lack of scholarships originate? Henry is in the class of 2009. By then Mario and Brandon will have either left for the NBA or used up their eligibility.

HawkFanEddie 14 years, 2 months ago

I agree. Plus, we have 6 guys coming in next season, right? I wouldn't be surprised if someone transfers out after the 08-09 season. If...if...if Xavier Henry/Lance Stephenson/Derrick Favors/etc. chooses to stop in Lawrence for 9 months...I'm sure they will find a spot for him/them.

ex... "Hey Morningstar, good news, you just earned an academic scholarship!" ;-)

odc213 14 years, 2 months ago

off the subject even tho i'm excited about our recruiting class>>>

Why is B. Rush resorting to off balance runners in the lane that brick off the glass when he has a perfectly opened 10-12 jumpshot available?

ODC in the 213

eastTXjayhawk 14 years, 2 months ago

they came from the same mouth that said;

"let Eaton go off, he sucks"

I do notice our guards are getting taller (I started to say bigger, but that might not necessarily be true)

ETJ in the 903

Jim Jackson 14 years, 2 months ago

Arthur should stay and so should Rush. Rush cannot seem to dribble penetrate, his ball handling is weak. He should be dunking on people Vince Carter style!! Besides I just looked and Rush is not on the draft board at all, 1st or second round. Anyone else think Tyrel Reed should be playin more?! Dude can hit the three

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 2 months ago

Agree with MILF above. A first-round NBA prospect (whatever that is--I will assume a fitting skill-set), should be quick enough to get to the rim hard to finish strong--that requires instinctive and automatic ball handling. So far, that aint Brandon...as much as I like the guy and want him to succeed for sooo many reasons. Reed very well could be a Hinrich-type all-around player. Gosh, we are going to have skilled and tall players all up and down the roster in Fall '08. I do not envy Bill Self, as now he gets all these pieces to play as a team. Maybe, he is ready to move on to new players. I hate thinking some of our current players may have plateaued. Im not down on them, just thinking about certain players based on what I have seen so far...

lee3022 14 years, 2 months ago

Jhawkerman:"Chalmers will be here he needs to polish his long range shooting ( at the moment hes not shooting for some reason ) .."

Sorry, but Chalmers is shooting effective FG % at #36 in the nation. Three point FG% is 44.7% through 2/25/08.

I do agree that Chalmers will likely stay another year based upon the scientific formula of integrity + committment = 4 years as he said he would do when he was recruited using the example of Aaron Miles. I also agree that he is more of a distributer than a scorer. That will endear him to NBA scouts everywhere. There are plenty of 6 foot scoring guards (most of whom do not make it in the NBA).

Jim Jackson 14 years, 2 months ago

Lee, nice call. Mario will for sure be here and he will def be a point guard in the league, he is 6'1 but he is a pure PG. I mean c'mon BIll gave his dad a job here! he aint leavin..ha I am sure Ronny is making around 6 figures..