Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Markieff Morris accepts diversion agreement

Audio clip

KU coach Bill Self comments on Markieff Morris diversion agreement

Kansas University freshman basketball player Markieff Morris has accepted a diversion agreement which will require him to perform 20 hours of community service in connection with an Airsoft rifle incident last August at Jayhawker Towers.

Morris — who was originally slated to appear in court on a battery charge Friday for allegedly shooting a BB gun from his apartment window and striking a woman with a pellet — was required to pay a $300 fine, $61 court costs and write a letter of apology to the community.

He accepted diversion on a reduced charge and continues to deny shooting the BB at the woman.

“We’ve talked about this a lot, and I’ve told Markieff and our guys that obviously they have to make better decisions and be much wiser in their judgment,” KU basketball coach Bill Self said Wednesday.

“We need to do a better job as a staff of educating them, not only on campus policies, but housing policies. If we had done that, they would have known these type of Airsoft guns would be not allowed on campus. Markieff has accepted this and will do 20 hours of community service. That will be the end of this.”

Morris issued a statement saying: “I’ve learned a lesson from this, and I apologize for any embarrassment this caused KU and the basketball program. I’m going to do my community service so I can conclude this matter and concentrate on academics and the rest of the basketball season.”

Morris’ attorney, Brad Finkeldei of the firm Stevens and Brand, also commented on the matter:

“We are satisfied the charges were reduced to the infraction of missiles,” said Finkeldei. “Mr. Morris took it (diversion) to conclude the matter and get on with his academics and extracurricular activities.”

Comments

JayCeph 13 years, 8 months ago

Good, let's get this thing behind us and move forward.

plotku 13 years, 8 months ago

Good. Now if he can control himself on the court. After he gets ejected from one game (which I didn't get to see) he made the statement he had learned from the ejection. How well did he learn? In the following game against New Mexico State, on a break away layup, He forearm shivers the kid in the middle of the back. Earning an intentional foul.

Joe Joseph 13 years, 8 months ago

20 hours? That's junk. I was ordered to do 100 for a similar incident. (Long time ago, when I was young and stupid. Well, stupider...)

jayhawkr34 13 years, 8 months ago

first what is an airsoft rifle? second, how dangerous could a "rifle" be with the name "airsoft" in it.....come on people we have people killing, raping, robbing,crooked politicians and so on.....its no wonder kids these days are doing more serious crimes...they cant have any fun anymore. lighten up....hell we had waterballoon lauchers when we were in school...

adamjhwkfan 13 years, 8 months ago

An airsoft "rifle" or any other kind of airsoft gun is a toy, rubber bee-bee shooting device that are made to resemble a real gun very closely.. they can shoot pretty hard, but from the distance they said he was, I doubt the impact could have caused any major harm. The Kent state ejection was baloney. Go find a replay on YouTube, MM was the one to get elbowed (twice). The NMS foul was somwhat silly, you have to remember he is a freshman though...

jaybate 13 years, 8 months ago

Kieff,Do the time and grow from it.People here don't realize what you grew up in. Its a different world, but that's why you came here. Part of being a Jayhawk is doing the wrong thing and learning from it. I can guarranty you that 99% of KU graduates did something they thought was kind of insignificant and yet had to come to grips with the consequences. It can happen with grades in the classroom, or with goofing off, as happened to you. Lawrence is the place to make your mistakes and learn from them. Stupid as this incident probably seems to you, it will help you one day hang on to your money you are going to make, if you let it help you.

GBedoreNum1fan 13 years, 8 months ago

yes, Jaybate, because there are thousands of students on campus with airsoft rifles shooting out windows... Stop being so ignorant. What he did, especially following Columbine and Virginia Tech, is ridiculously stupid. An Ohio University player did the same thing and GOT KICKED OFF THE TEAM.Markieff is lucky that Self needs big men, because he'd be off the team if he had Darnell Jackson, Darrell Arthur, Cole Aldrich and Sasha Kaun in front of him.

jayhawkr34 13 years, 8 months ago

now that ive done some research....ITS A F-ING TOY!!! it looks like a toy, it shoots like a toy......ive seen alot worse go on on campus and people turn their heads. including staff, campus police, coaches.

kerbyd 13 years, 8 months ago

I agree with jaybate. When you are going thru school a lot of what you learn seems like bs. A professor once told me it is not about how smart you are, but more about perserverance. You need the experience to be smart enough to avoid the consequences but sometimes doing something stupid is the only way to get the experience.

jayhawkr34 13 years, 8 months ago

I believe thats called "live and learn"

4jhawks4ku 13 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully, Mk will prove to be just as accurate shooting on Naismith Court as he was from his dorm room.

Jeff Hargate 13 years, 8 months ago

Maybe he will get a Red Ryder for Christmas?? "...you'll shoot your eye out, kid".

jchief40 13 years, 8 months ago

GBedoreNum1fan - you're a moron. This whole thing was ridiculous. Just because an Ohio University player got kicked off the team doesn't mean it should be taking soooo seriously. Virginia Tech? Columbine? Shut up dummy. Tell you what, dummy: it's banning guns from schools that leaves good people defenseless. Armed students and teachers would have been able to protect themselves. Bad people will find a way to get the guns - the rest of us, law-abiding with guns taken away, are sitting ducks in these instances. You punish those by taking that right away. A lot of people lost their lives - moreso than if a responsible gun owner had stood up to the attackers. Right to carry states, ironically, have less crime - Google it. Because when you go up to rob somebody and you stand a chance of getting your butt shot - you think twice. Liberal Lawrence wouldn't understand, I know... because they too are dummies. You care bears need to grow a pair!!!

jchief40 13 years, 8 months ago

oh and I hate Republicans too. (Except for maybe Ron Paul).

KEITHMILES05 13 years, 8 months ago

MK no doubt has had a learning curve. I also have firm faith in HCBS and Dooley to keep these guys on the straight and narrow. You can be sure HCBS instituted his own punishment.

KUPROUD 13 years, 8 months ago

Way back in the day, some of the most important lessons I learned in college were from the consequences I paid for doing dumb things. My gut tells me this is a good young man who will make the jayhawk family proud. Now Mr. Morris, get your tush moving and crash the boards and slam some dunks.

BigBlue4KU 13 years, 8 months ago

wow, jchief40, you are a trip. I suppose you think intelliegent design should replace evolution in the classrooms as well. Unbelievable. Shooting anything at any human being is absolutely, without question, an incredibly stupid act. That you are trying to defend it truly makes YOU the dummy. Brain up, dummy.

jchief40 13 years, 8 months ago

BigBlue - intelligent design over evolution?? What did I say to make you think we should be preaching in our schools? I'm not going to get into that debate. I am not one of those quacks who think the Earth was created 10,000 years ago. And no I am not saying what Morris did was a good thing. I was taking issue with GBedoreNum1fan making it seem like it would have been justified to have him kicked off the team.. especially since we had the VT shooting! That's silly. You can tell on Self's face that this was stupid, sure. But waay overblown!! 20 hours of community service is just fine. Here's a thought. In school - what's wrong with teaching both sides of any one argument? Sounds reasonable. And since you think evolution is such a no-brainer and so black and white you probably also think we just exploded into existance from a single ball of energy (how it got there we don't know) etc etc. You take issue with creationism, fine, but it shouldn't automatically mean that what science theorizes is absolute Truth on the other hand. 'Sometimes people ask if religion and science are opposed to one another. They are, in the sense that the thumb and finger of my hand are opposed to one another. It's an opposition by means of which anything can be grasped.'~Professor Sir William Bragg

VancouverJHawkr 13 years, 8 months ago

jchief40 wrote "I'm not going to get into that debate." and then"Here's a thought. In school - what's wrong with teaching both sides of any one argument? Sounds reasonable. And since you think evolution is such a no-brainer and so black and white you probably also think we just exploded into existance from a single ball of energy (how it got there we don't know) etc etc. You take issue with creationism, fine, but it shouldn't automatically mean that what science theorizes is absolute Truth on the other hand."Let's teach the flying spaghetti monster debate, too.

JayCeph 13 years, 8 months ago

You can say that Jews are no better than Mexicans... and that may be true. But it just doesn't sound the same as saying, "All men are created equal."- Charles Bragg

GBedoreNum1fan 13 years, 8 months ago

I guess I should have thought about the target audience here...

jchief40 13 years, 8 months ago

Vancouver I admire your sense of humor buddy.

BigBlue4KU 13 years, 8 months ago

Cute. However, evolution and the big bang aren't theories without scientific support. Creationism isn't even to the point of theory. I have no problem with our schools teaching many sides of any argument, I simply find it absurd to present points of view with no foundation whatsoever. It opens the door for all kinds of personal ideas, feelings and beliefs that have no business being taught in our schools along side science. If you want to take science and align your religious beliefs, fine, but I will teach my children at home regarding religion, it has no place in our schools. If you disagree, then, I will be interested in hearing how you feel about Hindu, Budism, Zen, Islam, atheism, etc. being taught as well. As I understand, each have their own understanding as to how this whole existence began.By the way, I don't believe much of anything is a "no-brainer". I do believe that calling someone a "moron" or "silly" or a "dummy" because they are offended by someone shooting a pistol at another human being is stupid, silly and dumb. I think athletes represent our school in an especially visible way. Thus, it is imperative that even minor misdeeds should have significant consequence. I hope the young man has learned a valuable lesson and that he is a better person for it. The punishment seems appropriate. The hoopla seems appropriate. Your criticism, on the other hand, seemed a bit much. Maybe even . . . . arrogant.

Lance Hobson 13 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding me? He actually got punnished for that? Twenty hours for a stupid wannabe BB gun? This is ridiculous. And why are people talking about evolution?

KUFan90 13 years, 8 months ago

What does this have to do with Devendorf? Shooting a toy gun is different than punching a woman in the face.Syracuse, New York (WSYR-TV) – Syracuse Orange basketball star Eric Devendorf got a chance to clear his name and tell his side of the story in front of a panel of students and administrators at Syracuse University Thursday night.The hearing comes after harassment allegations in which a woman claimed Devendorf punched her in the face on the night of November 1.Kim Smith, a 20-year-old SU student, claimed she was sitting in her car when a group of people approached her, yelling and kicking her car. Once she got out of her car, she says Devendorf hit her.

GBedoreNum1fan 13 years, 8 months ago

Because it's both the same charge: assault.

Tony Bandle 13 years, 8 months ago

JaybateMaybe we should continue our discussion on the Post Modern Movement in European architectural design and conceptual transportation systems for making Allen Fieldhouse a mobile structure and see if we can get any of these posters to hook onto this train of thought?Actually, there are points made on both sides of this argument. I think it depends on what standard of criteria you hold up for Kansas and since that, too, is a matter of personal value, there is no true "right" answer, although I will admittedly come down on the side of less tolerance.{And this comes from a guy who many, many years ago help design and build a water balloon catapult that was mounted on a scholarship hall roof and hurled water bombs that smashed windows in another scholarship hall across the street, in retrospect, probably a lot more dangerous than an "Airsoft Rifle". Yes, I was 19 and, yes, I was an idiot, yes, I learned a lesson.....make the trajectory a higher arc so the balloon would explode on contact without doing damage.}

jchief40 13 years, 8 months ago

"I will be interested in hearing how you feel about Hindu, Budism, Zen, Islam, atheism, etc. being taught as well"It's called comparative religion which I think is important as well as political science which most people never take going to public school. If it were my call I wouldn't mind it being taught. "I do believe that calling someone a "moron" or "silly" or a "dummy" because they are offended by someone shooting a pistol at another human being is stupid, silly and dumb."True. I'm not perfect nor do I try to be - I should thought I really should... never happens."I think athletes represent our school in an especially visible way. Thus, it is imperative that even minor misdeeds should have significant consequence."So people should be punished based on their occupation or affiliation? If KU had some standing to take action on him, they would. No concern of yours I would have hoped. Aren't you quite the social conservative. "I hope the young man has learned a valuable lesson and that he is a better person for it."Thanks, Dad. =)

Martin Rosenblum 13 years, 8 months ago

BB guns vs. Airsoft rifles.Yes, what Ralphie got for Christmas was a bb-gun. It looked like a rifle that was used for hunting. Airsoft rifles are mostly made to resemble assault weapons, regardless what it shoots. The whole Airsoft trend evolved into something similar to the paint-ball craze. But, the fact remains that if you saw an Airsoft rifle sticking out of a window on an upper floor of a dorm or any other building, would you instantly recognize it as a "knockoff"? Would the campus police or the LPD take defensive action if they were to witness anybody aiming one of them out of a window? I hope so. Kids and adults have been killed through mistaken identity of such weapons/toys. Let's not take this issue too lightly. Back to basketball...

bayareajhawk 13 years, 8 months ago

This is ridiculous. People will argue over anything on the internet... So I might as well get involved. :-)Airsoft guns are really not very dangerous. My roommates had a couple of them at my old apartment and we would semi-regularly have "pellet wars" where we would shoot them at each other from across the apartment (and sometimes from point blank range if somebody was unlucky enough to run out of ammo). These wars usually took place on weekends at about 3:00 AM, but we definitely had a couple when we were sober too. The pellets don't hurt. In Markieff's case, I think the story went that the girl was sitting outside when she felt something hit her. She looked up, saw the guys laughing in the window, got pissed and called some authority figures. I guess a little community service sounds about right to me. But I wouldn't be outraged if they got off with a stern "don't do that again." I would definitely be outraged if the LPD, or anyone else, shot at a college kid hanging out of a window with an airsoft gun, though. Cops shouldn't shoot first, and if a cop gets shot at with an airsoft gun he could take the shooter in for assaulting an officer. Or he could just have a sense of humor.

KEITHMILES05 13 years, 8 months ago

His incident involved the mother of a KU student; not the student herself.

DrRoach 13 years, 8 months ago

He's not KU material--he needs to go!

anna2221 13 years, 8 months ago

i know you did not do it auntie got your back good or bad have a good season.

s6u6r6f 13 years, 8 months ago

A Flying Spaghetti Monster? What a crazy notion. Only a madman could accept such a thing. Touched by his noodly appendage, indeed. The Invisible Pink Unicorn is clearly the truer path to follow. Or is it? Now I'm confused. Rock Chalk.

Michael Auchard 13 years, 8 months ago

Wow. It takes a special kind of brain to WANT guns in school. And that's my 2 cents.

distracted 13 years, 8 months ago

And this is what we get when there isn't a game to discuss...Saturday can't come soon enough.

JBurtin 13 years, 8 months ago

So what star rating does Rivals give to the flying spaghetti monster?Is Self going to recruit this kid or what?He could be the key piece that we need for next year. His red sauce would make the floor slippery for defenders and he could simply fly over their heads and slam it home.Next time Markieff should just look at his bracelet and think:WWFSMD.

nnelson 13 years, 8 months ago

jayhawkr34...there are hundreds of airsoft models, but does this "look like a toy?"http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/images/SVDb.jpg