Tuesday, December 2, 2008

You can’t hit ‘em all

KU nearly perfect from line

KU guard Sherron Collins goes for a loose ball against Kent State's Al Fisher in the second half on Monday, December 1, 2008 at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU defeats Kent State, 87-60

Only seven Division 1 basketball programs have posted 20 wins in the last 10 consecutive seasons. Tonight, two of those squads met in Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

Postgame: Kent State

The guys (Matt Tait, Jesse Newell) tie up loose ends following KU's 87-60 victory over Kent State. The two give their offensive and defensive grades, name their most valuable and least valuable players and talk about what they liked and didn't like from the Jayhawks in their 27-point win.

Download podcast

Audio clips

2008 KU-Kent State basketball

Reader poll

Which KU non-conference game are you most looking forward to?

• KU at Arizona 16% 385 votes
  • KU vs. Tennessee 48% 1149 votes
  • KU at Michigan State 35% 834 votes
  • Other 0% 14 votes

2382 total votes.

Marcus Morris felt as if he should apologize to his Kansas University basketball teammates after the Jayhawks’ 87-60 nonconference rout of Kent State on Monday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We made 32 of 36 free throws. I had the four misses,” Morris said with a sheepish smile after KU recorded the third-most makes in a game in the six-year Bill Self era.

“I felt kind of bad missing those four, since everybody else made theirs. I told some of the guys I’ll get in the gym and shoot some more.”

If it’s any consolation, the hard-working 6-foot-8, 225-pounder, who hit the glass for 10 rebounds, attempted at least six more charities than anybody else.

He cashed eight of 12 en route to a 14-point, 10-rebound effort in 29 minutes. He came out of the physical game with a badge of honor, a scratch under his left eye — which he insisted had nothing to do with the four misses from the stripe.

“It was a physical game,” Morris said of a game in which his brother, Markieff, was ejected in the second half for a flagrant foul in a pile up for a loose ball. The ejection was not deemed part of a fight, meaning Markieff Morris will not face a one-game suspension and will be eligible to play Wednesday’s 7 p.m. home game against New Mexico State.

“Coach said we need to still get tougher and grind it out, be stronger down low,” Marcus Morris added. “They were undersized, and we only outrebounded them by nine (40-31). We were the bigger team. They were stronger. We have to work on that.”

The physical game featured 46 fouls, 28 by Kent State. KU made the Golden Flashes pay, swishing the 32 free throws, which is six off the school record of 38 made five different times. In the Self era, KU hit 36 last year against Baylor and 33 versus Texas A&M; in 2006.

In contrast, KU hit just 11 of 20 free throws in Tuesday’s overtime loss to Syracuse.

“It’s a good sign knocking down free throws,” said point guard Sherron Collins, who made all six free throws and scored a game-high 19 points in 27 minutes. “It shows shooting 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 10 minutes after practice every day works. We come in our off days and shoot free throws. It’s showing now.”

KU coach Self gave thumbs-up to the free throwing and his squad’s overall play on a night baskets were tough to come by. KU hit 42.4 percent of its shots to Kent State’s 37.7 percent.

“It was a great game for us because it was a no-rhythm game,” Self said after his squad improved to 5-1. Kent State dropped to 3-3. “We need to win a grind-it-out game, a game with no rhythm because when you get to tournament play and conference play, especially on the road, you want it to be a muddy game.”

Collins agrees it was nice to win a game with no flow.

“It’s what we’ve got to get used to,” he said. “We’ve still got to get tougher, point-blank. There’s no other way to phrase it. We have to get tougher. We’ve got to be the aggressor. There will be more games like that one.”

KU did make a statement defensively. Freshman Tyshawn Taylor held high-scoring guard Al Fisher to five points off 2-of-11 shooting.

“I thought Tyshawn did a great job on him,” Self said.

“Tyshawn ... to be honest, I think we have another Mario Chalmers there,” Collins gushed, lauding the rookie’s defense. “I appreciate the job he did tonight.”

Self appreciates the hard-hat mentality of his team.

“Unless you have far superior talent, you want it to be a game where time of possession is important,” he said. “I was pleased. I thought we played pretty well.”

Comments

Timmay97 14 years ago

They did play a fairly decent game last night. However, these guys have GOT to start hitting the "bunnies." Taylor missed too many as well as Marcus Morris. We have to have those shots later in the year. I'm sure they will come. I might be the only one here, but I can't stand Doug Gottlieb as an announcer. I hated him in the studio, and I think I hate him even more courtside. His comments are retarded and I think he praised himself more than either of the teams. I wish I could have punched him in the face with he became critical of Sherron Collins play JUST BEFORE he exploded near the end of the game. Don't hate the guy cause he can do what you NEVER could do. This team keeps improving. I do think we will be a force come March.

phoghawk2053 14 years ago

Timmay,I agree Gottlieb is a an arrogant ass. He is definitely more concerned with himself and his career at Oklahoma State. If I had to listen to one more story about his "Glory Days" I was going to puke. Luckily he said that he did not have many more KU games on his schedule. I just wish the delay between radio and TV wasn't so defined so I could listen to Bob and watch the game.

barchawk 14 years ago

Guys, please fix the box score layout. It's a mess. Otherwise, I like the new site!

Lindsey Buscher 14 years ago

Great picture from the Coppin State game in the article about the Kent State game. I have one question for the LJ World staff: if it ain't broke, why fix it? Remind us again what was the point of changing the KUsports.com format.

Page Butler 14 years ago

I have to disagree with the comments about Doug Gotlieb. I enjoy listening to him on the radio and enjoyed last nights broadcast very much. Heck I was critical of Sherron as well and I can't even make a layup. To say that Doug has no right to be a critic when it is his job to analyze the game is ridiculous. There are times this year when Sherron has gone seemed to try to take the whole team on his back and hasn't trusted his teamates to make plays. I think when he gets angry or frustrated the whole team suffers and this is something that he needs to correct. I would say he had about 3 minutes of bad play and then he exploded to play like the Sherron we have all seen and loved.

keith horinek 14 years ago

Once again we missed the game on tv as it was on espnu! I still can't figure that one out. I really enjoy listening to Bob Davis on radio though. I used to watch the game and listen to Bob on radio all the time but lately the tv delay has made that impossible to do. One comment on the newbies, I don't think HCBS's idea of toughness is to get ejected from the game. We can be tough and still play with honor and skill. Hopefully we won't get a reputation for being brawlers like Missery. With that being said, they are getting better each game and come big 12 play we will be good!

kufan4life 14 years ago

I liked how Doug Gottlieb said The University of Indiana facilities was a dump. That made me laugh.

Brian Leiker 14 years ago

I think Gottlieb is full of chit. Saying that playing in the Phog isn't intimidating. Saying it's the talent and the coaches that are intimidating. Yet not having to play in Stillwater this year is good for us because playing there is difficult.

tis4tim 14 years ago

Gottlieb is no doubt full of himself. That said, he praised the hawks constantly when it merited such. He also broke down screening and ball movement very well. He talks too much, but he is a student of the game and shows in his broadcasts. I can always do without the tangential stories about the "glory days" from any color guy, but when it's a 20-point blowout, you've got to give the general audience something to keep from changing the channel.

Jason Roberts 14 years ago

I agree with Collins referring to Tyshawn Taylor as another Mario Chalmers. Taylor possess the same quick hands and can score when necessary. I also see a bit of Russell Robinson in him due to his ability to lock down on defense.

Rick Arnoldy 14 years ago

I like Doug Gotlieb. At least for now. I questioned his comments about AFH but other than that I think he did alright. I honestly view some of his negative comments about KU as jealousy but even given that I welcome his critical views. You have to take the bad with the good (thankfully, the good outweighs the bad).

Chris Shaw 14 years ago

For all of you that complain about TV and not being able to view it; GET DIRECTV!!!!!!I get every game and I live in North Carolina. The only games that ever come into question are the games on CBS or ABC reginal games and I most often times, not all, can get those games and the local bar. I've been a user of DirecTV for over 10 years and don't have any complaints. Occasionally a bad storm will cause the signal to crash, but it's usually not that long. I will trade off a bad storm here and there to get my Jayhawks. If it's a bad storm during my Jayhawk game; then I'm in a world of hurt, but it's never happened so I'm completely happy. I also like Doug Gotlieb. His job is to be objective and he might show a little more emotion towards KU just because he competed against them. I like the fact he is a Big 12 supporter like Bob Knight and that is rare to find with ESPN. I did like the story they did on Doug last night when he put his shorts on backwards for the start of one of his games against KU in AFH. That was pretty funny.

ChicagoJHawk 14 years ago

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the game last night. I didn't get to hear what Doug Gotlieb said last night but I have heard him defending us in the past. I can't remember all the details but some of the college bball analysts were trash talking on KU & Self, late last season, & I remember Doug Gotlieb being the one guy that had our back.Anyway, nice win for the Jayhawks! Sounds like Marcus & Tyshawn are coming along pretty fast.

Jo_Jo 14 years ago

Doug Gotlieb with Dave Armstrong is 1000% better than listening to Dave Armstrong and Greg Gurley trying to come up with nicknames for KU players. Gotlieb actually has something intelligent to say about how to play the game. For the record - he did not say that playing in AFH was not intimidating - he said coaches appreciate the history and mystique of AFH more than players do.

kc_wildfire 14 years ago

I think he was trying to convey that the fans weren't as intimidating as some other places with which I wholeheartedly agree with. The Fieldhouse is packed every game but generally isn't that loud. It is disappointing given the fact that KU has a program that all but three or four other basketball programs would trade their grandma for. We as fans shouldn't take it for granted that we will always be one of the elite programs (although under Coach Self I see no reason to think otherwise) and should enjoy each game while we are. Clap, shout...do something to make some noise. These are the defending national champions and one of the winningest programs in the history of college basketball...vocalize your support of them! See how much harder playing at the Fieldhouse becomes for the opposing team when that happens.

David Robinett 14 years ago

"Saying that playing in the Phog isn't intimidating. Saying it's the talent and the coaches that are intimidating."I agree with Gottlieb. Our fans are great, but not 'intimidating' --too friendly mid-westerners.Not exactly like Philadelphia fans who boo their own Hall of Famers (Mike Schmidt) and even Santa Claus!But that's okay by me - it's why I live here!

ku98 14 years ago

I think Gottlieb is alright... I was at that game when he had his shorts on backwards... It was hilarious... Cole and Sherron make a good 1-2, inside-outside punch, but we need the others to step up.... and please make the bunnies... I am ready to see what Mario Little can do for us... LJW, do you have an update?

Jack Wilson 14 years ago

Easy on Gottlieb .. he was all over KU winning the National Championship last year, picked us early, and picked us at the beginning of the tournament. He is a major KU proponent. Every comment can't kiss our rears. He just calls it like he sees it, and sometimes we aren't going to like it. Heck, better than listening to Vitale.

jaybate 14 years ago

Gottlieb is a prairie Vitale with a full brain case.

Tim Orel 14 years ago

Dish Network also has ESPNU. I have listened to Gottlieb and waited for him to show bias against KU from when he played against us or bias in favor of KU for being a fellow Big 12 team, and instead I think he does a pretty good job at objectively analyzing KU's play. I also like his radio show.

Lance Hobson 14 years ago

Gottlieb has some good inputs but there is no doubt he is one of those spoiled, arrogant guys. He probably never shuts up.