Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Self, KU invited to White House

President Bush gives Kansas coach special wake-up call

SAN ANTONIO - Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who slept 45 minutes Monday night into this morning after winning the national championship game, received a special wake-up call Tuesday.

"President (George W.) Bush called me at eight o'clock," Self said. "It was good. He talked about how exciting a game it was, and how happy and proud I must be of our guys. He said something that was cool, he said 'You need to get here soon. You've got great seniors. If you don't get out here soon, they won't get a chance to come, because they'll all be going different ways. If you want to come, get out here in the next month, month-and-a-half.'"

As far as Self's future, he said he was still planning on meeting with athletic director Lew Perkins and Chancellor Robert Hemenway in the next day or so to discuss his future at KU. He reiterated he would talk to Oklahoma State officials if they called about their job opening.

"I've got the best job now," Self said, but indicated he needed to talk to Perkins and Hemenway, as was the game plan all along.

Self said the Jayhawks could lose up to three players early to the NBA Draft.

"I anticipate at least two, maybe a third," Self said.

Sophomore forward Darrell Arthur and junior guard Brandon Rush are expected to declare for the NBA Draft, while junior guard and Final Four Most Outstanding Player Mario Chalmers is a definite possibility. Sherron Collins would be a fourth player considering a jump.

For more follow-up from Monday night's win and Bill Self's Tuesday morning press conference, log back onto KUSports.com and pick up Wednesday's Journal-World.

Comments

brandon_walsh 14 years, 7 months ago

anyone want to meet me for a beer at the replay?

sevenyearhawk 14 years, 7 months ago

SWEET!!

and come check out the official CBS highlights, courtesy of YouTube at:

Kirk 14 years, 7 months ago

I'll think -- now that the dust is settling -- Self will give whatever OSU serves up with the consideration his alma mater deserves, as a matter of due course, and firmly say "no".

William Cormode 14 years, 7 months ago

Can the team say they want to wait to go to the White House after January 20th so they don't have to stand next to that slime ball.

5hawkfans 14 years, 7 months ago

Self needs to stay, Arthur needs to stay, Chalmers needs to stay, and so does Collins...

brandon_walsh 14 years, 7 months ago

chalmers is a gay muslim, he took me to the movies last week

chicagohawk52 14 years, 7 months ago

dagger i totally agree. If Self leaves (and by no means do I want that to happen) Larry is the best choice. I think he is the only coach out there that would be accepted, no problem, by the KU faithful. But with that said Bill please stay!

brandon_walsh 14 years, 7 months ago

Stillwater is pretty gay, but not as gay as lawrence

JayhawkVA 14 years, 7 months ago

I hope us fans in the DC area get to see the Jayhawks if they come to the White House. There are a lot of us out here!

JayViking 14 years, 7 months ago

How long does it take a moderator to see walsh's messages?

jayhawkinATL 14 years, 7 months ago

Represent, fellas!!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

CaramelMacchMan 14 years, 7 months ago

Mario's shot is leading in polls....

Greatest Shot ever in NCAA Over Michael Jordan's shot

This is incredible!!!!

Marcia Parsons 14 years, 7 months ago

From a quote I read he is interested in years, not dollars. I can't see him leaving, at least not for Ok St.

fundamental 14 years, 7 months ago

Does anybody know where I can listen to recordings of the Jayhawk Radio Broadcast of last night's game?

Chris Kurtz 14 years, 7 months ago

Brown could take over for 5 more years and prepare Danny Manny a little more.

Mike Crosbie 14 years, 7 months ago

To Lew: Just hand bill a blank sheet of paper and have him write down what he wants to stay. I'm sure it would be cheaper in the long run than a bidding way with Pickens.

Rock Chalk Champion Hawks !!!!

Brad Devlin 14 years, 7 months ago

"Hint: First word starts with W and the second word starts with C."

Due Fan, are the words you are thinking of "Wang Chung?"

Seth Peattie 14 years, 7 months ago

Wonder how Joey Dorsey is doing today. Chump.

jayhawkinATL 14 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like Coach just wants a long-term, guaranteed deal more than anything. I say give it to him!!!!

Dan Harris 14 years, 7 months ago

wcmorbode- so you would rather have them stand nexy to a racist or a habitual lier?

brandon_walsh 14 years, 7 months ago

just speaking the truth Jay, lawrence is gay.

Dan Spurgin 14 years, 7 months ago

If KU visits the president we'd finally have a winner in the whitehouse that I could believe in!

peter56321 14 years, 7 months ago

Bill's certainly using one of the programs as leverage. But I can't tell which one.

chicagohawk52 14 years, 7 months ago

Please do not leave Bill!!! You've got it all in Lawrence. You are sitting on the throne in basketball heaven right now. To Lew: Pay the man! How do we have a billion dollar endowment, a football coach who makes 1.6 a year and someone like Lew saying that we can't match OSU? PAY THE MAN!!!!!

oldboy 14 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self has two choices, stay at Kansas and build a legacy which money can't do or go to OSU and make some money as an average coach with no real legacy. How much extra money per year is worth a step from the top to the middle of nothing?

jhawklifer 14 years, 7 months ago

We need to start a Keep Bill Self petition and make sure Lew sees it ASAP...

MGJayhawk 14 years, 7 months ago

Bill won't leave. He's smarter than that. He's using OSU as leverage to negotiate a deal. He knows what he's doing.

Dirk Medema 14 years, 7 months ago

I was happy that KU hired Coach Self, and think it would be great to have him remain, but the program is bigger than even the coach of the NC team. I hope people aren't setting themselves up for more bitterness.If Coach Self leaves, hopefully Lew will have already talked to Coach Brown. I realize that some people are already blowing off this comment, and I don't think that Larry is the answer to our coaching needs, but Danny is. He just hasn't learned to be a head coach yet, and there is no better teacher in basketball than Coach Brown. They have an existing mentor relationship, and he would love to come back to college and KU. It could be set up on a five year plan so that recruits would know exactly what was happening.Coach Self had me extra motivated in the pre-game talk when he commented on Danny being able to tell the players about treasuring this time every day for the rest of their lives. How much greater to be able to say that, and add comments about what it is like to treasure an NBA championship. Who wouldn't want to learn from the best.Either way, the program is bigger than any player or coach.Rock Chalk!

chicagohawk52 14 years, 7 months ago

dagger I couldn't agree more. If Self leaves(and by no means do i want that to happen) Larry is the best chocie. I think he is the only coach out there that would be welcomed and embraced by the KU faithful. Now with that being said, Bill please stay!!!!

Chicago_JHawk 14 years, 7 months ago

There is no doubt in my mind he'd stay for $2.5M per, but at a minimum he needs to be the highest paid in the Big XII (Barnes at $2M is currently the highest). Put in a clause stating that each year his salary will be readjusted to be at least 10% above than the second highest in the league.

speedy 14 years, 7 months ago

speedy 14 years, 7 months ago

this is not a political forum keep that stuff out of here. correct me if i,m in error butwhy is it that CBS,espn and the others all give credit to KU for 3 championships when we have 5? do you suppose notre dame, neb., o.u. sc and others do not claim any championships that came in football before the ncaa came in 1939? voted on championships should count. they do in football where they never have to date played a playoff system championship. the KU people need to correct the media and give credit where it is due. phog allen won 2 at KU in the pre ncaa days

DueFan 14 years, 7 months ago

I will not sweat it about meeting G Bush. I do understand that Bill has to go. But if I were one of the players, I would not meet him. I have two words for G Bush that I know will either get me banned from kusports.com or get this removed. Hint: First word starts with W and the second word starts with C.

bmkjayhawk 14 years, 7 months ago

I haven't read any of the above so this may appear a bit random, but here were some eerie similarities between the 2003 Final Four and this year's that had me concerned before the game (I'm a bit superstitious).In both situations:- our coach was in a whirl of rumors surrounding the possibility of leaving for his alma mater- our opponent had a fantastic freshman (in notable company, above the rest of the crowd)- we blew out our semi-final opponent- the games were played on April 5 and April 7One difference after the game, though, is the 12/30 FTs in 2003, and 14/15 FTs this year.Just an all-around good situation.

Brad Watson 14 years, 7 months ago

THANKS FOR AN AWESOME YEAR!....I HOPE BILL STAYS....REGARDLESS HE DID WHAT ROY NEVER HAS DONE..RECRUITED PLAYERS THAT WON A TITLE....REMEMBER ROYS' TITLE WAS WITH MATT DOHERTYS' PLAYERS....BILL SELF IS NO.1 IN THE BUSINESS AND DESERVES THAT KIND OF PAYCHECK!IF BILL LEAVES....LOOK FOR BIG NAMES TO APPLY...INCLUDING BROWN AND WHO KNOWS MAYBE ROY AS WELL...BUT WE ARE HOPING BILL IS OUR COACH FOR A LONG LONG TIME TO COME!

justinryman 14 years, 7 months ago

Larry left after a National Championship for the NBA, Bill may do the same, not to OSU but for the OK City NBA team. Why not do what they did when they picked Roy, go to that Carolina Bench and grab Jerrod Hasse a Former KU player, I mean bring him back to his Alma Mater and let him coach em up.That is if Bill leaves.....

brandon_walsh 14 years, 7 months ago

Self is going to leave, lawrence is a horrible town, who would want to live there anyway? God 5 years is long enough.

yates33333 14 years, 7 months ago

Mangino_Maniac says "God I love Kansas." Well, God loves Kansas. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.Has Brandon-Walsh ever been to Stillwater? Lawrence ain't much, but it's downtown compared to Stillwater. And you just can't compare KU and OSU. One is a tier one school, and it ain't in Stillwater.

Don Everett 14 years, 7 months ago

I hope Bill stays forever, but if he chooses to leave, I will be thankful for the time he spent at Kansas.If he does go, I would like to see John Calipari as the next coach. He started at KU as well. It would give Danny a few more years to learn the coaching gig.But I am very confident that Lew will step up and do the right thing.

truehawkfan 14 years, 7 months ago

It would pain me to see Self leave, and I don't think he will, but he owes us nothing. He has given us 5 good years, and if that kind of money comes his way, it would be hard for anyone to say no. Kansas is a coaches dream. The cabinet is FULL, and I really like hearing the ideas of coaches we could get. If Larry has learned from the mistake he left us in, he would be a great person to have come back. I do think it would be great for an aging coaching giant to come for 4 or 5 years, mentor Danny, and then let him build a long dynasty. Danny IS going to be the coach of Kansas in the future. I just have that feeling. He will be amazing, and Kansas will embrace him forever. He will have no pull from any other schools. The only place he would go would be the NBA, which I just can't see him doing. His whole family is here, and he would be here forever. Long live Danny Manning!!

brandon_walsh 14 years, 7 months ago

even KU's cheerleaders/ dancers are ugly.... where did you find them?!?! Shannon (the trainer) was pretty hot a few years ago when she sat behind Roy, but now, nothing... Did you see UCLA's hotties? gave me a rock chalk hard c%@k!

rcaltrider 14 years, 7 months ago

I have a feeling that the young men on this team are better people, with more respect for the Presidency than some of the idiotic posters on here that want to use this forum to trash the President. Oh, and PLEASE STAY BILL!!!

Rockonku 14 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully Bill will stay which I think he will, and mentor Danny. Then if Bill decides later on to pull up stakes Danny will be ready. He just won his first national championship and if they were to refuse to pay the man what he's worth well that would just be down right foolish on their part and you could not blame him for leaving.

jmoore 14 years, 7 months ago

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK! What an awesome season, tournament, and championship game!!! Thanks, Hawks, for all the excitement, pride, and thrills you've given us throughout the season!! Please don't leave, Bill! You've got the best of the best at KU!!!!

William Cormode 14 years, 7 months ago

speedy - This immediately became a political forum when they had a political story. jhawkdan42 - No I dont want them to stand by a racist (I am assuming you mean McCain??) or a habitual liar (Clinton) I want them to stand by Obama.

greg robinson 14 years, 7 months ago

I think it would be cool to go to the White House. I'd go on a day when Bush wasn't home. If they wait until Obama is keeping house there then the seniors will be gone. Go Jayhawks. Go Obama. Bill isn't going anywhere.

Roger Tobias 14 years, 7 months ago

If Self leaves, and I hope not, consider Turgeon ahead of Danny. The Brown idea is great, but Turg has Division 1 experience Danny doesn't, and Danny could still be there. If Self leaves, Lew should beat him out the door.

okiedave 14 years, 7 months ago

How can Bill turn down 10 million his first year and 3.5/yr. thereafter? I don't think K.U. can match it from a standpoint of simple fiscal responsibility required by State Schools. Boone has pumped $150 mil into OSU the last few years and he is personnally committed to making Looney Booney Un. a national sports powerhouse as his legacy. Pickens desparately needs Bill Self because his money does not seem to be working (either in football or basketball as they have a new fieldhouse and expanded stadium and they still can't win). Boone has to protect his legacy and investment. K.U. already has built a legacy around its history and does not need a sugar daddy to try to create one. Kansas is bigger than Bill Self or any coach as we have learned with Roy. There are many coaches out there that are just as qualified and good as Bill Self or Roy Williams who would simply prosper at a basketball magnet school like Kansas. This is Bill's decision and I would not blame him a bit if he choses to move closer to family, his roots and his alma mater, even though I think he would eventually regret the decision. He will be walking into a subservient role with Boone in charge. If Bill cannot do magic his first two years, Boone is not going to be a happy camper with Bill. Moving home is not cracked up to be what most think. After a year the grass begins to look greener in other fields again.