Sunday, May 27, 2007

Brother says Rush tore ACL

Jayhawk guard to go under knife next week, JaRon Rush says

JaRon Rush spoke to his younger brother Brandon on the phone at 10 a.m. Saturday, just after the injured Kansas University basketball player climbed out of a soothing pool of water.

Brandon was in good spirits, big brother said, even after informing his sibling he'd need surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.

"He tore his ACL. He'll have surgery next week (performed) by the KU doctors. He said they told him four to six months (rehab time)," JaRon Rush said. "Everything is good. He knows he'll be back. He knows he'll be fine."

KU coach Bill Self - who has declined comment about the possible severity of Rush's injury that was sustained playing basketball on Wednesday - on Saturday reiterated there would be further examination of Rush's knee early next week, with a final evaluation made at that time.

"He tore his ACL. He wouldn't have decided to pull out of the draft if it wasn't that," JaRon said, referring to Friday's announcement that Brandon had withdrawn his name from the NBA Draft and elected to return for his junior season. "You always want to get a second opinion (in this case from a Colorado specialist), but it's a torn ACL."

JaRon said he talked extensively with Brandon about ACL injuries during their phone discussion Saturday. JaRon Rush tore his left ACL in November of 2005.

"I was back playing in May," JaRon said, "but it took longer than that to get strong. I didn't have the expert attention Brandon will have every day at KU. I think he thinks they'll do a great job (on the knee) and he'll be back this season."

Amazingly, JaRon and Brandon hurt their knees the same way.

"I was going up for a layup, and my knee went out on me. He did the same thing. It wasn't even a game or anything. My friend says it's the 'Rush curse,'" JaRon said.

JaRon said Brandon's mood had improved considerably since Wednesday, when he suffered the injury.

"He was crying to his mother that he hurt his knee. He didn't even want to come back to school," JaRon said. "I talked to him today, and he's fine. He does want to be totally healthy (before playing again)."

KU coach Self said his stance involving comment on the matter was the same as Friday.

"He has hurt his knee. He'll be evaluated in detail next week. Anything more than that is speculation," Self said. "We'll find out how severe when it's evaluated fully."

Rush's AAU coach, John Walker, said Saturday "they said they need to let some of the swelling (inside of knee) subside and let the specialist in Denver evaluate the tests."

He agreed with JaRon that Brandon was handling the injury well.

"To be hurt is tough on anybody. He's handled that part well, knowing he's going to be back at KU because he loves his teammates and he loves being there.

"Even during the whole draft process, he's been talking about the team and the team's schedule and how competitive they could be. I think this (coming back) will reaffirm the progress he has made at KU, and he'll still have the opportunity to land a dream job that's been his goal."

More on the bright side ... "I think it will give him a chance when he comes back to be an improved player, because much of what he can do at first will be things like dribbling drills," Walker said.

JaRon said his brother could handle whatever surgery might entail.

"Of course. He messed up his arm (in tumbling accident 10 years ago) and came back from that," JaRon said. "He's a hard worker and will do what it takes."

¢ Wedding bells: Former KU basketball player Christian Moody was married to Nicole Lynn Henry on Saturday in Lawrence. Henry is a 2001 graduate of Lawrence High and a 2006 graduate of KU. Moody is a 2002 graduate of T.C. Roberson High School in Asheville, N.C., and a 2006 graduate of KU.

¢ Wright on Celts' radar: Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge told the Boston Globe that KU's Julian Wright was on the squad's list of draft possibilities.

The other players: Florida's Corey Brewer, Al Horford and Joakim Noah; North Carolina's Brandan Wright; Chinese forward/center Yi Jianlian; Georgetown forward Jeff Green and Florida State forward Al Thornton.

The Celtics are focused on players 6-foot-7 and taller, the Globe said.

¢ Dicky V impressed: ESPN's Dick Vitale praised KU coach Bill Self in his Friday blog on ESPN.com.

"You have to give Kansas coach Bill Self a lot of credit for his willingness to play a tough nonconference schedule. He already faces the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M; and Texas Tech in the Big 12, yet he is willing to face a competitive list of foes out of conference," Vitale wrote. "Consider this: among non-Big 12 opponents this season, Arizona, Southern California, Georgia Tech, Miami (Ohio) and Boston College each played in the 2007 NCAA Tournament, while DePaul advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT. Self compares it to the 2005 season, when his schedule strength was ranked number one in the RPI. USC (with O.J. Mayo), Georgia Tech and Boston College are also on the road, making it even more challenging."

Comments

Thomas Michaud 14 years, 12 months ago

When I read about the swelling, I had thought that he might have done more than sprain the knee - my knee ballooned up after I tore my ACL and always hoped it wasn't a tear. It would be great to hear next week that he didn't.

My thoughts and prayers will be with ya Brandon.

LAHAWK 14 years, 12 months ago

When I first heard the news that BR was coming back I was very sceptical. Now I know why. I'm sorry that this happened B, maybe there is a reason for it. I personally feel you will benefit from this by being able to work on your ball handling skills, for we all know the you need work on your left hand (ask the NBA). Also, having Danny Manning around you during your rehab will be a blessing. You know what he went through, so having him there to push you will help. Get well, work hard on your rehab, and welcome back. I'll see you next year when you come to SoCal to play SC.

emeryhawk 14 years, 12 months ago

Poor guy. That's a tough injury. He'll get good medical attention and if he works hard at rehab he should be back playing next season. Good luck Brandon!

yovoy 14 years, 11 months ago

i tore my acl 4 summers ago, and it didn't swell like everyone said it should've. i chose not to go under the knife. while i don't have the "ups" that i used to, i still get up alright for someone my age, and i have VERY little pain. it's my hope that b-rush gets the best attention, and heals very, very well; at least as well as i have (without med intervention) not because i want him to be ready to compete for us (i do), but because i want him to have the best chance to test his potential (in the nba).

let's just hope that he doesn't turn out to be as hobbled as langford was.

tis4tim 14 years, 11 months ago

He went crying to his mother? Nice, JaRon. Way to toss your brother's dignity under the bus.

Greg Woolen 14 years, 11 months ago

I feel terrible for BR. This guy had put himself in a position to meet the goals he had set for himself. I had long ago given up the idea of him returning to play his junior season, and only wanted him back if he felt he needed another year to perform.
Obviously he is welcome as far as I am concerned, but didn't want to see him return for this reason. This is kind of like getting a win because the other teams best player got hurt. Bittersweet. Good luck Brandon. Work hard to get strong and improve your position for next year.

kstrebor 14 years, 11 months ago

Here is my take.

Your wife says she wants a divorce. Then, three months later she looks in the mirror and comes to the conclusion that she can't get it any better than she has it now. (Four kids, no job, no education, 40 dozen donuts later, you get the picture.) She then gets her older sister to call you and tell you that she has changed her mind not to divorce you because she's not the uber hot prospect that she once was. Oh yeah, and while I've got on the phone, she has a bum leg now and you will have to work twice a hard to pick up the slack. The sister should know as she tried it and had miserable results.

Look, I'm glad the guy is coming back as much as the next guy. I'm also glad he dipped his toe in the water instead of diving in head first. What the hell is wrong with getting a top notch education at the best University in the best friggin' State? Then get a job that pays millons of dollars to PLAY A GAME.

Welcome back B-Rush. Good luck on the surgery and recovery, hurry back and rain some 3's.

Gosh, Dang and Sheesh!

actorman 14 years, 11 months ago

I'm glad Brandon's coming back (although I'm not glad for the reason), but I'm a little bugged by what he said about it. Does anyone recall that he said he was leaning towards coming back anyway and that the injury was not a big part of his decision? Now it turns out that it's a torn ACL, so I'd guess the injury was probably the MAIN part of his decision. That's kind of like Julian saying he wasn't leaving for the money but then saying he has to take care of his family. Why can't these guys just be honest?

emeryhawk 14 years, 11 months ago

actorman - that confused me too. He was clearly staying in if he didn't get hurt. I'm not going to second-guess him too much though, as this is a tough break for him. Hard to say how much he'll be able to give us next year. Hopefully he heals quickly and is back to being effective. No way he was coming back otherwise though. Jaron says as much.

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 11 months ago

Hard to read too much into statements, again made by youngsters just learning to talk to the media. Brandon, actually has only spoken thru prepared statements, so far. The "official word" from KU Athletic Dept. is correctly tight-lipped at this point. There are 5mos until late October, and personally I am MORE interested in what the news is at that point: If it is 4-6mos of rehab, how is Brandon doing at the 5mos mark????? The unfortunate thing in all of this is that he cannot really improve his game all summer, and we all wanted him to make that next step in development, for every single reason. And how tentative will he be when he first comes back? My best regards to Brandon for a speedy and strong recovery.

lee3022 14 years, 11 months ago

Interviews are so often padded we don't get the whole truth and sometimes no truth at all. Rush had the problem of saying the right things to get an invite to Orlando (saying he was coming back reportedly cost Dominic James a spot in Orlando). I don't pay much attention until decision time is here (June 18) unless a player has signed with an agent. I read that 39 underclassmen declared and stated their intention not to sign with an agent. No way Orlando can accommodate all of them and the ones also who have signed with an agent and cannot withdraw.

I appreciate Brandon's dedication to his obvious future profession. If you had a chance to intern with the employer you most want to work for wouldn't you jump at the chance also?

And I agree brother JaRon is seeking attention for himself while throwing Brandon under the bus (if he really said those things).

sevenyearhawk 14 years, 11 months ago

kstrebor ...

that was a fairly decent analogy!

Spencer Goff 14 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, Jaron always was a total dumbass.

Brandon made the right decisions to every wrong decision Jaron made. That would have to make a guy jealous.

Somebody earlier mentioned Danny, and that got me thinking (look out):

Back when Danny tore his ACL, it was the kiss of death on your mobility. But in today's world, honestly most guys recover. It makes me happy for Rush, yet I cannot help but be sad for Danny. Sports medicine just hadn't caught up with him at the time.

kubbjunkie 14 years, 11 months ago

I'm glad B is back, and sure D Manning will do everyting in his power to help B get through the surgery and rehab. As far as feeling sorry for D Manning.....yes, it is too bad about his knees, but he was an ALL Star 2 times after he tore his ACL's as well as winning the 6th man award. D is still living his dream...he's a coach at the best place for college b-ball and he is home with his family. And now after 20 years, and the team we have returning, the first weekend of April is looking might nice for another national championship! And another ring for D. Manning!

engineer57 14 years, 11 months ago

Who pays for the two to three hundred thousand dollars in medical and rehab costs?? Keep sending in those dollars fellow Jayhawks.

Spencer Goff 14 years, 11 months ago

What are you getting at engineer57?

When you play for a college team, they foot your medical bill. I don't see the colleges bitching about how much money they get from bowl games and the basketball tournament, or filling their stadiums.

To insinuate that the school should not be paying for their athletes medical bills is pretty ludicrous. You might view it different if you were an offensive lineman getting your knees trashed playing football at KU, or your ankles worked over playing basketball.

Either way, I am sure KU will financially survive this, as will I, LMAO.

emeryhawk 14 years, 11 months ago

Krohnutz - thank you. The fact that NBA caliber players are required to spend a year in college, where they will be paid nothing and where other people will reap the benifits of their talent is reason enough to expect that these schools would at least cover their medical expenses. I love the college system, but anywhere else in the world athletes of Rush's caliber are getting paid to play. He's worth every penny we spend to rehab his knee.

Kit Duncan 14 years, 11 months ago

If Brandon did, in fact, tear his ACL, he'll be in for a long rehab. This is the very reason he probably decided to jump to the NBA now instead of staying. Once in the NBA under contract, he would have been covered financially with insurance. He may have some form of disability insurance already (if he can afford it-technically his family can't pay for it).

Sad it takes this to have him back, but I hope he doesn't push too hard to play too soon. I would take a few regular season losses, even losing the Big XII championship to have a 100% Brandon Rush lead the 'Hawks through to the NCAA tournament championship. Get well smart, Brandon!

jayhawka15fan 14 years, 11 months ago

JaRon is still a MoRon!!! It is pretty sad when you have to use your brother's injury to get your name in the paper.

justanotherfan 14 years, 11 months ago

BABBOY:

I don't think that the family should have to wait on the ok from the KU staff to comment on what happened to "their" son and "their" brother. Not tacky.

The injury is unfortunate. The rehab will be tough, so there's no guarantee that BR will be at full strength until next January or February. And even then its tough to say how long it will take before he feels comfortable on the knee.

And to everyone --- probably not the smartest thing to openly and vehemently criticize the immediate family of your star player. Just a thought. BR does care about these people and may see your foolish comments and take them personally.