Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ryan Wood’s KU football notebook

Jayhawks' TV-less

It doesn't appear any of KU's nonconference football games will be aired as part of the Big 12 television package this September.

The game with the most realistic shot may have been the Sept. 1 season opener against Central Michigan, the defending Mid-America Conference champion.

But five other games featuring Big 12 teams are set to air that day, including three as part of the Big 12 television package - Nevada at Nebraska, North Texas at Oklahoma and Colorado State vs. Colorado. Kansas State at Auburn and Oklahoma State at Georgia will air as part of the Southeastern Conference package.

Kansas, to this point, has one game guaranteed for television - the season finale against Missouri on Nov. 24. It's probable that more are aired, though - most announcements for televised games in Big 12 play are made just 12 days in advance.

New roster out

KU has updated the football roster on its Web site to include incoming freshmen, all of whom are believed to have enrolled for summer classes and started summer conditioning.

The uniform numbers issued to the newcomers are: Isiah Barfield (29), Carmon Boyd-Anderson (32), Dezmon Briscoe (80), Anthony Davis (30), Patrick Dorsey (92), Steven Foster (43), Chris Harris (16), Jeremiah Hatch (77), Stephen Hoge (14), Richard Johnson Jr. (97), Jake Laptad (91), Rell Lewis (6), Brian Murphy (31), Ryan Murphy (23), Jeff Spikes (74), Justin Springer (45), A.J. Steward (11) and Johnathan Wilson (81).

Another network

The Big 12 and Fox Sports Net have agreed to sublicense five football games to the Versus network.

Though it's undecided exactly which games will be shown on Versus (Sunflower Broadband channel 116) this year, there is one already set: Iowa at Iowa State on Sept. 15.

Versus is known more for broadcasting NHL games and formerly the Tour de France. It used to be called the Outdoor Life Network.

The agreement means Big 12 games will be shown on five different networks in 2007.

New commitment

Kansas received an oral commitment from 2008 wide receiver Daymond Patterson, according to Rivals.com.

Patterson, a 5-foot-8, 165-pounder out of Mesquite, Texas, picked Kansas over early scholarship offers from Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Utah, Rice and Colorado State.

As a junior, Patterson had 40 receptions for 493 yards.

Comments

Alan Halvorsen 15 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the football article Wood, it was much needed with the football article drought.

Shirley KU CMU will be televised. Who cares about OU North Texas, Nevada Nebraska. All though I am very much looking forward to seeing KSU get clobbered. I predict Auburn by 40!

I've never heard of the versus network, I hope that its on cable.

Patterson's small, he's gonna have to bulk up.

Alan Halvorsen 15 years, 5 months ago

Why does this updated roster still have Jerome Kemp on it...I'd love to have him another year, but he's gone.

TrueBlue92 15 years, 5 months ago

"No players from the 18-man signing class in February are missing from the roster, meaning it's likely all qualified and will be eligible this fall."

GREAT JOB, FROSH!! GREAT JOB, COACHES!!!

sevenyearhawk 15 years, 5 months ago

That is definitely good news about the roster!

I didn't realize OLN (outdoor life) had changed to Versus. I can get it here in KC, and I only have the package a step up from basic ...

YES, football news is welcome here!

bmcmich1 15 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I think Versus is pretty accessible along the lines of (almost) basic cable. Not offered on your bare-bones package, but one step up it is--sevenyear's got it right I think--shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to pony up to that package should you not have it already, which is niiice.

Plus, FSN will probably pick up a lot of our games last-minute as well. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like almost every single one of our games last year was televised. Judging by the sickening result of some of them, I don't know whether that was a good thing or not! But still, let's hope it's the same way this year!

prairie_dog 15 years, 5 months ago

No TV in September? Nothing to do but show up then. Good fellowship, cold beer, some burgers on the grill, the Mass. scene after the game. Shoot, I would rather be in Larryville anyway!

William James 15 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of television- This is gonna be my first season utilizing TV for my tailgate. For you guys whose tailgate is a few years more advanced than mine, what all will I need besides the TV itself so I can watch the games while Im enjoying my tailgating?

sevenyearhawk 15 years, 5 months ago

i'm not a tailgater myself, but have seen plenty in my travels ...

fabio, you're going to need some power ... i've seen someone who's a Kansas/Texas Tech fan in the grass lot north of the Stadium with a generator ...

I know Radio Shack makes a deal that can turn your cig lighter into an outlet, but not sure what that would do to the battery.

I don't think there are outlets at the base of the street lights in the stadium parking lots - anyone? There are outside Duke's basketball arena, as well as ethernet connections for computer, now that's kinda cool!

bmcmich1 15 years, 5 months ago

Fabio--use the adaptor sevenyear mentioned. All you have to do is remember to fire up your vehicle about every hour or so to re-juice your battery and you're golden. Also, you'll need an uber-antenna to ensure the best reception of CBS and ABC. Both can be found at Radio Shack. Oh yeah, and you'll need beer, lots of beer...

Alan Halvorsen 15 years, 5 months ago

Anyone know what the deal is with Aaron Mack? First I heard he was coming, then I heard well he's academically ineligible, then I heard he was gonna take summer classes to get eligible, and then come. Then I heard that KU dropped the scholarship from him.....does anyone know any different than I do?

William James 15 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the help guys. I sure appreciate it and thanks for reminding me about the beer. Wouldnt that be a bummer if I got everything setup on September 1st and I reached for a cold one and all I had was yoo-hoos.

greatabu 15 years, 5 months ago

Jimmy_Dean:

I believe that we dropped him and are using the scholarship on a JC O-lineman from Illinois named Jason Hind. He redshirted and will have 3 years of eligibility. He'll probably be a left guard, either starting opposite of Hartley or adding some much needed depth.

Alan Halvorsen 15 years, 5 months ago

Thanks great, that really sucks not getting a good pass rusher....but that is nice to have some much needed depth.