Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Jayhawk recruits plan to narrow lists soon

Two of the top frontcourt players in the recruiting Class of 2008 say they will pare their lists of colleges after this week's Reebok Championships in Las Vegas and the Price Chopper/K.C. Prep Invitational set for Saturday through Tuesday at Okun Fieldhouse in Shawnee.

¢ J'Mison Morgan, a 6-foot-10, 275-pounder from Dallas South Oak Cliff High, on Tuesday told Rivals.com the schools after him the hardest are Kansas University, Alabama, Baylor, Georgetown, LSU, Texas and UCLA. He also has Kentucky, Texas A&M;, Arizona, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, Iowa State and Nebraska on his list.

"It's all open right now," said Morgan, a former high school teammate of KU sophomore Darrell Arthur currently playing for Urban DFW Select. "I'm going to make a list of schools after this week. I want to decide on five schools and take my visits. The overall environment and playing time will be deciding factors."

¢ Olek Czyz, 6-7, 235, from Reno (Nev.) High, has a list of KU, Nevada, UCLA, UNLV, Kentucky, Duke, Florida, Louisville, Arizona State, Washington and Washington State.

Czyz, who was born and raised in Poland, has emerged as a top recruit while playing for the Las Vegas Prospects.

"I'm trying to put my mind on where I'm not going to go and not going to consider," Czyz told Rivals.com. "After this tournament we go to Kansas City, and then I'll be back in Reno for a day, and that's when I'll pick my top schools."

¢

McDonald on radar: Phillip McDonald, a 6-5 senior shooting guard from Cypress Springs High in Texas, says his top four schools in no particular order are KU, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Cincinnati.

"I'm looking for a school that plays up-tempo that can offer playing time and a place where I fit in," McDonald told Rivals.com from the Adidas Super 64 tourney. "Distance isn't really a factor."

¢

Warren thriving: KU target Willie Warren scored 23 points in Team Texas' 69-67 victory over Missouri's Titans Monday at the Main Event in Vegas. The 6-4 point guard reiterated to the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Oklahoma currently leads Texas, KU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, Kentucky and Arizona.

"I want to go somewhere where they run and gun. I can run a set offense, but I feel run-and-gun will help me get to the league," Warren said. "I know I'm good, so I want to hear everything I need to work on to get to the league. I don't want to hear, 'You're a very good scorer and you can jump.' I want to hear you criticizing my game. A college coach is not going to be all nice to me once I go there, so I don't want to hear the good stuff," he added to the R-J.

Comments

Brad Avery 14 years, 9 months ago

Someone needs to tell Willie Warren that Billy Tubbs no longer coaches at Oklahoma. They have been playing a half court offense for the last fifteen years.

mavrickkc 14 years, 9 months ago

Better yet... maybe someone should school the boy on how many players OU has in the league. 1. Ryan Humphrey, and he left OU and went to Notre Dame. You may not get all the minutes you expected at KU kid, but you'll become a better player and you'll learn to EARN minutes, just like in the league.

Tom Pritchard 14 years, 9 months ago

Keep the recruiting info coming Gary, It fills the B ball void. Good job.

frompekka2sasha 14 years, 9 months ago

mavrickkc- What about Eduardo Najera? Don't make me start defending OU!

argentinehawk 14 years, 9 months ago

IMO, if Willie were to come here, he'd probably transfer out after one year. But that's just my opinion. He just seems like a kid that wants all the attention and wants to be the main focus and take about 1000 shots a game. Now if he's really sincere about wanting a coach that'll tell him the truth, then KU is the place for him, because I'm real sure Coach Self would put that kid in check.

Change that "me me me" attitude, Willie, and we'd love to have you as a Jayhawk!!!

jayhawkinATL 14 years, 9 months ago

The more I hear Willie talk, the less I like him. He sounds like a COMPLETE idiot!!!!! Again, Bill, stay FAR AWAY from that cat.

jayhawkinATL 14 years, 9 months ago

Love to see Willie go to OU...then we can kick is a$$ every year!!!!

jayhawkinATL 14 years, 9 months ago

frompekka2sasha 14 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkinatl- "BTW...what about Eduardo?!?! You make it sound like he's some big-time NBA talent."

REALLY? Is that what I made it sound like? Re-read post above.

Jaminrawk 14 years, 9 months ago

Willie sure does love himself some Willie. I would hope that he is more like Brandon Rush in his ego than Keith Langford. We don't need any more players that the coaches have to tell to shut up around the media. That being said, he is good scorer and he can jump. :) He could work on his humility and taste in top schools.

digitalkookie 14 years, 9 months ago

do any of these kids realize that high school "stardom" does not necessarily translate to D-1 minutes????

John Strayer 14 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand the playing time issue...with the Seniors KU has and the potential league departures, KU has nothing but playing time to offer.

If that is truly the deciding factor than the case should be closed...choose KU.

Roadkill_Rob 14 years, 9 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we need to be targeting big men. It seems like we have all the guards for the next couple of years even if Mario leaves after this year which I doubt.

After this upcoming year and with Arthur potentially gone, who do we have down low besides Cole?

JayCeph 14 years, 9 months ago

Willie Warren... wow. If this kid was a chick and I was trolling the club scene, I'd make sure to but a drink for the girl right next to her and then walk away.

That kid is just high-maintenance-bad-news. It really is a sad state when someone has so much talent and so little else...

okjhok 14 years, 9 months ago

Nice JayCeph...I don't know yet about Willie. I really don't like to get the whole scoop from media types. I'd like to actually hear one of these interviews and actually see him play and see how he carries himself before I pass too much judgement. Roadkill is right about needing some bigs.

kc_wildfire 14 years, 9 months ago

Lets get some more recruiting names in the news so KU "fans" can bash on them as well.

JayCeph 14 years, 9 months ago

Let's get a new definition of 'fan' that doesn't include being a myopic drone...

kcmostwanted 14 years, 9 months ago

Willie Warren will be fine once he gets to College.. He'll learn that it's harder than what it looks and should be a little more humble.. Once this kid starts going though, We'll all wish he was in a KU jersey.. believe me! And if he did wear a KU jersey well all love him.. isn't that how it always works? -Heck if we could love JR Giddens during his Frosh year.. i don't see why we can't love Warren either

here's a story about a big.. Now let's not start bashing him... http://kansas.scout.com/2/661482.html

dmb41fan 14 years, 9 months ago

I think it's important to understand the fact that both Warren and Rotnei Clark play on the same AAU team and are great friends and it has been said that both could possibly go to Oklahoma. A backcourt tandem that even Chalmers and Collins don't match up with.
KU could possibly loose Collins,Arthur and Chalmers after this year and we won't have any offensive weapons, and both of these guys can create their own shot. Truthfully I don't think Releford can come in and have an impact like Warren can.

KURUSH1530 14 years, 9 months ago

Just goes to prove that recruits don't care about how many players a program has in the NBA. Look, haven't we been hearing all along that this guy was going to be a one and done type? Why are people so surprised all of a sudden, to the point where they are bashing the kid? I'll tell you what, KU doesn't have a run and gun type offense either unless you get a steal. But that'd be a fastbreak, which every team has. So this kid will probably go to Texas.

Jaydub 14 years, 9 months ago

Not that I'm impressed with Willie's attitude, but I do realize he's 17 years old. These kids grow up. A lot of big time athletes are cocky. I'm guessing Self knows the kid better than we do and wouldn't be pursuing him if he thought he couldn't be molded into the Jayhawk system.

JayCeph 14 years, 9 months ago

I don't care if this kid is the next LeBron or Carmello (which he isn't...). He sounds all 'me me me' and that just won't fly with KU. We don't want that kind of cancer in the locker room.

Things must be 'team' oriented and the kid should see himself as a piece (or portion) fitting into a much bigger picture of an ever-changing puzzle.

I'd love to be wrong about this guy but the interviews with him continue to make him sound like a conceited upstart.

jaybate 14 years, 9 months ago

All these guys know exactly where they want to go right now. They want to go to one of six schools. That means there's about an average of 18 scholies to those six schools. Each of those coaches at those six schools will do anyrthing for about five players and none of those five are named Warren or Clark. The players know they have to keep their lists wide open, because schools sign the five franchise players first, position needs second, and then go after the rest based on best available. This means that it doesn't matter where a player wants to go, unless he's a franchise player. He has to wait and see if his favorite fills before it wants him. Ergo, make long lists in order to get on somewhere. Self offered Clark early to find out if KU was Clarke's first choice. By turning Self down, he signalled KU is not his first choice. Warren is definitely NOT Self's first choice. Big men and wings are Self's first choice this year. Every guy under 6'5" knows this. The problem Self faces is that it does not appear that KU is any of the top big men's first choices.

kc_wildfire 14 years, 9 months ago

Well said Jaydub.

I would imagine that very few people who post on this board have ever watched Warren play more than a couple of games, let alone ever interacted with him on a personal level, yet they still feel comfortable enough to pass judgement about his attitude based on a handful of quotes.

Ironically the quote in this article seems to make him sound like a guy that people would want to come to KU..."I want to hear everything I need to work on"..."I want to hear you criticizing my game."

I'm positive that Coach Self has a much better understanding of Warren's attitude, commitment, desires, intentions, etc. than any of us will ever have. So if Coach Self feels he would be a great addition to the team I trust him at that.

Kirk 14 years, 9 months ago

Myself, I want to get to the league and ball. MySELF.

It's all. About. The. NBA.

And ME.

Do re ME fa so la ti do

rockchalkAZ 14 years, 9 months ago

Do people remember what everyone thought about brandon rush before he got here? They thought he was an extremely selfish guy that just wanted to hurry up and get to the league. He described his game as "highlights" when someone asked him. How wrong were all of those assessments? You shouldn't pass judgment on a KID before you really get to know him outside of interviews. Warren is a player that will have a good impact on whatever program he chooses. I am really hoping we get this kid.

JayCeph 14 years, 9 months ago

So, if we all thought this kid was super talented going to be a great prospect for KU, that would be a rush to judgment... and wrong, correct?

Joe Ross 14 years, 9 months ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, we bring you the voice of reason and sense brought to us by our sponsors JayCeph and Jaybate (please read above posts here).

Look people I dont care if Willie Warren walks on water. We've seen talented kids come here and implode their lives and basketball careers simply based on what they had going on between the ears. I'll concede the point that he SOUNDS like a good kid; however, he DOES sound egocentric (and he wants to coach the coaches on how to coach him):

"I want to go somewhere where they run and gun. I can run a set offense, but I feel run-and-gun will help me get to the league," Warren said. "I know I'm good, so I want to hear everything I need to work on to get to the league. I don't want to hear, 'You're a very good scorer and you can jump.' I want to hear you criticizing my game. A college coach is not going to be all nice to me once I go there, so I don't want to hear the good stuff."

Give the kid a whistle and let him coach a D1 program, I guess...you know, since he knows so much about it at his age and with the vast experience he has. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Jayhawk uniform (qualification coming...) if he's not a headcase and self-centered. Basketball is a team sport and it sounds to me as if he may have problems meshing with a team philosophy. WHEREVER he ends up...

I wish the best for this kid because I think hes got a great future in college and in the pros. It'd be a shame to waste such talent. But his youthfulness is apparent--to me, at least--with some of the comments he makes.

Jaydub 14 years, 9 months ago

A lot of basketball experts and scouts have indicated that this Willie guy can hoop so I think it's fair to predict he will be a great talent. As for his attitude, it's tough to predict when or if a 17 year kid will grow up, most do.

So a 17-18 year old kid, who is one of the best high school basketball players in the country comes off as being cocky. Welcome to 2007. Self seems to have a good handle on his players. I say bring this talented/confident baller to KU and let Self work with him.

Blake Post 14 years, 9 months ago

yep, bring in the guys who think they can play. I don't want the maybe's.

Dan Cook 14 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Jaydub. If you've seen Warren play and don't want him at KU, I wouldn't understand. If you're worried about his quotes, I do understand as he comes across poorly with most of them. But I sort of like the "don't tell me good things, tell me where I need to get better" stuff. At the end of the day, this staff wants Willie Warren and that tells me they're not concerned about handling him. That's good enough for me. And his Mom is level headed, so I doubt Willie is completely out of control anyway.

As for dmb41fan's comment that Chalmers and Collins can't match up with Warren and Clarke (did I read that correctly?), that's just crazy. Rio and Ron would wear those two out all night long, especially during their FR seasons, which is the only time they'd potentially match up. Clarke wouldn't get a shot off against Mario and couldn't keep up with Sherron. Warren couldn't guard either of them, though he may be strong enough to get to the hole on the offensive end assuming Mario didn't pick him before he got there.

okjhok 14 years, 9 months ago

No doubt, juju...dmb41fan is crazy. I couldn't believe that either. He's comparing two guards that have "arrived" at the high div 1 level to a kid that I think has mid-major written all over him and another that will be great, but isn't there yet. Ridiculous...

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 9 months ago

Agree with above about funny comparison between high school players vs. top-echelon D-1 guards like Mario and Sherron. How much do we know about Warren's defensive ability? I would like to see RussRob 'lock-in' on Warren and teach him a thing or two or three about ASSUMING what he can and cannot do once he gets to a "big" D-1 program, if he is so lucky. I do not care if it 2007 or a new paradigm regarding high school ballers' confidence, but a little humility goes a long way. Since we are commenting on soundbites from Warren, eventhough I liked the comment about wanting critique from coaches, I wonder if anyone else here picked up on the fact he would rather NOT run 'set' offenses?!? Translate that into not wanting to 'learn' or having 'trouble' learning all the plays (as was said of CJ Gile...), thus not getting PTime. It takes intelligence and patience to run a set offense (again think RussRob and Sherron, even over Mario), so read into Willie's comments what you will. What does this pretentious youngster think will happen when his 'run-&-gun' team comes up against a top 3 defense like KU? Ask Roy W. about how a team without a good set-offense pkg will fare (UNC this last season), when facing a buzz saw defense...I sooo wished KU would have faced UNC in March somehow--the D would have been a major factor. My point is a complete player cannot afford to eschew any portion of this game. The greatest thing Bill Self has done for KU is only add a set-offense pkg along with the nastiest defense in years, and fill the roster with top-level athleticism which, as you all have seen, can be spectacular on both ends of the floor. Willie has a LOT to learn, about basketball, life, and opening one's mouth...

dmb41fan 14 years, 9 months ago

I truly believe some of the comments on this board are terribly lacking any substantial backing. The only thing you know of Willie Warren , Xavier, or any recruit KU ever has been interested in is highlights from Rivals. I will bet none of you have seen any of these players play in any highschool games, or summer AAU games or the Texas vs OU highschool battle, or in Suwanee or in All Star games. Personally, I have seen both of these players and Morgan as well. I encourage you before you lay your bias opinion go to a game of theirs to see. Then I will listen to your opinion, otherwise you are talking without any facts.