Saturday, July 21, 2007

Three Jayhawks tapped preseason all-Big 12

Kansas University's football team led the Big 12 North with three players on the preseason All-Big 12 team.

Cornerback Aqib Talib, defensive tackle James McClinton and offensive tackle Anthony Collins all made the first team in a vote by members of the Big 12 media.

No other North team had more than two selections.

Talib was the easy pick, after leading the nation with 28 passes defended and earning a slew of preseason honors already. Aside of the honor announced Friday, Talib was named to Playboy magazine's All-America team and also was named first-team All-America by Phil Steele's magazine.

Talib was a first-team postseason pick last year, while McClinton was picked second team by the Associated Press and Collins an honorable mention. McClinton hit the map after putting up gaudy numbers for an interior lineman, registering 51 tackles and 141â2 stops for a loss in 2006.

Collins, meanwhile, is one of KU's top NFL prospects, and is making the switch from right tackle to left tackle. At 6-foot-5, 310 pounds, he provides a solid blocking option for the quarterback's blind spot as he heads into his junior year.

The 27-man preseason team featured seven players from Texas, four from Oklahoma and three each from Kansas, Texas A&M; and Oklahoma State.

Three Jayhawks earn preseason gridiron honors

To the gridiron where James McClinton, Anthony Collins and Aqib Talib were all named to the Preseason All-Big 12 team.

The teams were led by Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, who was named the Offensive Player of the Year, and Oklahoma defensive back Reggie Smith, the Defensive Player of the Year. Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller, an Arizona State transfer, was preseason Newcomer of the Year.

Comments

bmcmich1 14 years, 10 months ago

Thank you ohjayhawk; one and one, just in case you missed it--see #4--I have little tolerance for those who have no better use of their time than to "correct" the J-W staff instead of posting a relevant comment (I'm pretty damn sure everyone got the gist of the article anyway)...now that we've got that out of the way...

And fabio, I usually am on the exact same page as you (and please don't take this as any form of disrespect, but...) I know that people in Nebraska probably have little else to do, but do you really think that something posted on kusports.com would rally the entire fanbase to come to Lawrence in November?? I mean, come on, most of them know they got completely lambasted in Larry two years ago and if not for a burnt KU corner and an unfortunate read in the red zone by Barmann the suicide rate in the state of Nebraska would have increased tenfold last year =) I think they may be smart enough to read the writing on the wall and just out of caution and fear of embarassment stay away from Lawrence this fall. Because, it's not like they have improved lightyears from the last two seasons and have suddenly become unbeatable in Lawrence this fall--I see it being a knock down, drag out brawl with the Hawks coming out on top and I think the majority of the Fuskers know it!! That is why I forsee the stadium being 80-85% BLUE for that WIN, and NO "Trajan" font in the stands either!

bmcmich1 14 years, 10 months ago

This is fantastic!! I can't help but think that this is a little bit of foreshadowing--Kansas leads the BXII North in Preseason All-Conference players; Kansas leads the BXII North in Wins come December????? I'm tellin' ya, it could happen!! Congrats to Aqib, James, and Anthony--I'm sure you'll make us proud this fall and ROCK CHALK!!

Michael Leiker 14 years, 10 months ago

I agree completely. I'm texting all of my meat-head Husker fan buddies up here in Omaha right now.

Beak 'em!!

sevenyearhawk 14 years, 10 months ago

This could be the start of something good!

I wouldn't mind having to take a SECOND or third trip to Texas to see KU play another football game or two!

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

It's still not correct. But I'm done wasting my time on you guys, so I won't try to explain why. Go ahead and sit in the back of the class and be ignorant. After all, I suppose ignorance IS bliss!

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

Dear J-w copyeditors:

The word in the headline you wanted was "tabbed," not "tapped." Learn English!

ohjayhawk 14 years, 10 months ago

one_and_one - Per the American Heritage Dictionary (via dictionary.com)... please see definition 4.

tap 1 (tÄp) Pronunciation Key
v. tapped, tap*ping, taps

v. tr.

1. To strike gently with a light blow or blows: I tapped you on the shoulder to get your attention.
  2. To give a light rap with: tap a pencil.
  3. To produce with a succession of light blows: tap out a rhythm.
  4. To select, as for membership in an organization; designate. See Synonyms at appoint.

5. a. To repair (shoe heels or toes) by applying a thin layer of leather or a substitute material. b. To attach metal plates to (shoe toes or heels).

Roy Scherff 14 years, 10 months ago

Could be a good sign. At the very least it should let the Jhawks know that somebody knows they are around and could be a force to reckon with. Come on football season!

Kit Duncan 14 years, 10 months ago

Dear one_and_one...

"Tapped" or "tabbed" are both acceptable. If they aren't, then some of the major news organizations are wrong in their usage of "tapped." Check it out.

Regarding the 3 preseason picks, hopefully they will help bring out the best in their teammates. We need everyone healthy and playing topnotch the whole season. Go "Hawks!

William James 14 years, 10 months ago

Dont get the Husker base more fired up than they already are. We dont need to give them more motivation to buy up the single game tickets for Homecoming in November. But, once the game is sold out, then by all means.....

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

hometownhawk and Navyhawk--

If you think "tapped" is also acceptable, please provide the the definition of it that would work in the context of this headline.

As for its alleged use by major news organizations, I read stories every day by AP writers who don't know grammar or who screw up idioms. So I wouldn't place a great deal of stock in that.

William James 14 years, 10 months ago

bmcmich-I was talking to likeness about texting his buddies in Omaha. If you are right about the stadium being at least 80% blue I sure would be happy, so I hope your right. One of the other guys must be an English professor and cant wait for fall CLASSES to get started! Mr. Professor- Im that guy that was in the back of class last semester that you were always giving bad looks. I'll be back this semester in between football games.

bmcmich1 14 years, 10 months ago

Gotcha fabio--its all making sense now! You'll have to bear with me, I was in the back of the class too...=)

bmcmich1 14 years, 10 months ago

That's the spirit jross! This time of year, it's hard not to get bitten by the football bug

Seth Peattie 14 years, 10 months ago

Dear one_and_one_is_two:

You have been tapped/tabbed to SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

ohjayhawk 14 years, 10 months ago

It's too bad you're done wasting your time on this because I'm still confused. If you substitute the word "designated" for "tapped", or even "appointed" for "tapped", why it is still not correct. In fact, I could only find one definition for "tabbed" that would work on dictionary.com. That definition is "to name or designate". Sounds the same to me?

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

ohjayhawk--

I'll respond to your post because you've been decent. It's still incorrect because, in my humble opinion, its usage here requires a preposition: "for," "as," or "to." You wouldn't say "Three Jayhawks tapped fraternity membership"; you would say "Three Jayhawks tapped for fraternity membership" ("was tapped for fraternity membership" is the example given on the American Heritage Dictionary Web site under synonyms for "appoint"). You wouldn't say "He was tapped treasurer"; you would say "he was tapped to be treasurer" or "he was tapped as treasurer." The reason you need the preposition is that "fraternity membership" or "preseason all-Big 12" is the indirect object, not the direct object, of the verb.

ohjayhawk 14 years, 10 months ago

one_and_one - I now understand your point. Although, wouldn't a preposition be needed for tabbed as well? Not trying to be a smart alec, just curious.

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps so, but "tabbed" in this sense basically means "named," and there's nothing wrong with saying, "They were named all-Big 12."

"Tapped," on the other hand, equates more with "selected for," "appointed to," or "designated as" ; hence the need for the preposition, at least according to my way of thinking. It is correct to say "He was named [this]," but not necessarily "He was selected [this]." One can be named something but not selected something; here again we run into the need for the preposition. For instance, you would have no problem saying "He was named captain," but you would be less likely to say "He was selected captain" and more likely to say "he was selected as captain." Admittedly it's a subtle distinction, and one that, in the minds of most posters here, is apparently not worth troubling about.

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

P.S.:

By the same reasoning, using the example of LAJayhawk5's obscene post above, it would be correct to say, "You have been tapped (selected/designated/appointed) to SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!" but not "You have been tabbed (named) to SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!." The meaning of the two sentences is different, and the latter one makes no sense.

Do you see the distinction?

Joe Ross 14 years, 10 months ago

one_and_one...

Who cares? Right or wrong, must be hard living life so critical, ay?

This is a football page, and you're making bones about GRAMMAR! And not, mind you, grammar that is blatantly wrong (and I'm not convinced its incorrect usage at all); rather, you're snivelling over word usage that has been accepted in journalistic style for damn EVER!

English is down the hall, second door on the right. Come to talk football, will ya?

Oops! I guess "ya" is gonna get me in trouble.

Oops! I guess "gonna" is gonna get me in trouble.

Damn...

Can we discuss football already one_and_one? PLEASE, with your permission, and with sugar on top?

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

jross--

My original post was directed to the copyeditors who were responsible for putting this story up, and was one line in length.

One line.

You guys made it into a big long hairy discussion. You're the ones keeping it alive.

Joe Ross 14 years, 10 months ago

I take that to mean you want the subject dropped. As do I. Please do your part.

one_and_one_is_two 14 years, 10 months ago

I tried to drop it once before--remember? I'll do my part if you do yours. Anyway, jross, this story is three days old. You and I are the only ones on here, and have been for about the last day or so.

Have a good day. I'm sure I'll talk to you tomorrow in this space.