Thursday, July 19, 2007

Recruit Warren lists Kansas third

Highly touted guard ranks his top eight schools; Mom has KU second

One of the top basketball players in the Class of 2008 has not only pared his list of schools to eight, but - in an interesting, maybe even unprecedented move in the wild world of recruiting - ranked the schools in order.

Willie Warren, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from North Crowley High in suburban Fort Worth, Texas, told Rivals.com that Oklahoma currently is his favorite followed closely - in order - by Texas, Kansas, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Marquette and Arizona.

Baylor, the school he committed to a few weeks ago, only to have that action vetoed by his mother, is not on the current list.

"My mom and I both had Oklahoma at the top of our lists. My mom had Kansas second on her list, and I had them third on my list. Both programs are pretty even right now, so I just decided to put Texas second on the list," Warren told Rivals.com. "The order of the schools on each list was different, but we (he and his mom) had all of the same schools."

Warren, the No. 13-rated player in the Class of 2008, soon will trim his list to five then take some visits in the fall. He has decided to finish out his prep career at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

"Kansas and Texas both have the opportunity to catch Oklahoma," Warren said.

Comments

Dyrk Dugan 14 years, 11 months ago

He and Clarke are good buds....and since Clarke is already from Oklahoma, this does not bode well for the Jayhawks. But if he takes an official visit, there's always a shot.

Kirk 14 years, 11 months ago

Yay. Warren says KU has "the opportunity to catch Oklahoma". Thank you sir, may I have another.

fljayhawk 14 years, 11 months ago

Do athletes ever list their choice of college by the education they will get or am I still living in lala land.

argentinehawk 14 years, 11 months ago

There're no doubt that Warren is a talented guy, BUT, he just seems to me like he's got a BIG head. He's not even a freakin' senior in high school, and he just seems so arrogant. I'd love to have the guy here, but he can leave his arrogance at home!

Robert Brock 14 years, 11 months ago

This information comes from Rivals - the football people. Nothing to see. Move along.

Brock

Topside 14 years, 11 months ago

Malik Hairston anyone? Smells the same.

tippy 14 years, 11 months ago

It seems like there are too many red flags with this kid which makes Oklahoma seem like the perfect fit. Either way, I do not want him.

Kyle Rohde 14 years, 11 months ago

fljayhawk, welcome to lala land, where athletes choose schools based on academics, politicians only do things for the right reasons and gas is 50 cents per gallon. :)

Christian Hinton 14 years, 11 months ago

He doesn't seem to make any sense:

"My mom and I both had Oklahoma at the top of our lists. My mom had Kansas second on her list, and I had them third on my list. Both programs are pretty even right now, so I just decided to put Texas second on the list."

So, if Kansas and Oklahoma are equal...put Texas in between them! Great idea! That doesn't sound terribly bright.

tomike 14 years, 11 months ago

He will commit and decommit twice. That leaves KU his only choice.

JayCeph 14 years, 11 months ago

The only way Kansas can 'catch' Oklahoma is if we all forget how to walk upright, forget how to use our opposable thumbs and then begin to speak in incoherent phrases such as "all y'all" and "fixin' tuh..." and anything that involves a double (triple?) negative.

Let Warren crawl down that hole. They were made for each other. Talent and character don't always go hand-in-hand. We can do without his talent since he can do without his character...

okjhok 14 years, 11 months ago

I agree JayCeph...this kid looks like an incredible talent and would definitely fill a hole, but what a chump. My momma this, my momma that. Hey Willy, nobody gives a damn about what yo momma thinks. I'm starting to think momma is the brains behind this operation. She apparently was instrumental in getting him to decommit to Baylor (the very fact that he wanted to go there, allegedly, makes me wonder about his credibility).

Oh yeah, Willy, KU's program doesn't try and catch OU or UT, and you seem to forget that you are the privileged one, not the school you select.

I was really hoping KU could land this kid...now I'm not so sure.

Larry Smith 14 years, 11 months ago

I remember all the "doubt"and negative comments people on these message boards had for DA when he was having a hard time committing. That seems to have worked out fine. Leave the recruiting and decisionmaking to those that are actually involved. I doubt Coach self would be out recruiting guys with questionable character.

milehighhawker 14 years, 11 months ago

Jayhawk86.... You took the words right out of my mouth. Who the heck do we think we are? We know nothing about this kid except what the media wants us to percieve him as. Give the kid a break. I bet when you were 16/17 you were still getting advice from your mom, what makes us all so much better than him. DA turned out to be a darned good person and you all were questioning his character as well. And I HIGHLY doubt that any of you had to go through the agony of the recruiting process, having a coach call you every day and many at every game you play in. Have any of you felt that pressure as a 16/17 year old? I, for one, will support this kid where ever he goes because he has the chance to get an education and continue doing something he loves in the meantime. All of you get off your high horse, or don't, I could care less, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of our opinions are, on his and MAMA'S.

BigTamale 14 years, 11 months ago

Can you blame the kid? Thanks to all of these Recruiting websites, Blue Chip recruits become mini-celebrities within a lot of circles. This Warren kid is gonna ride this for all it is worth, a-la Malik Hairston.

16-17 year old kids are so impressionable and naive ...C'mon, he committed to BAYLOR! Either BAYLOR rolled out the Red Carpet or his Official visit was taken from the script of "He Got Game".

My point being, KIDS (that what Willy Warren still is) love the lime light and will milk it for all it is worth. Unfortunately like most kids, his decision will be made on what is Now and what is Sparkly and Shiny.

If he commits to KU, then we will call him wise beyond years.

HawkFanEddie 14 years, 11 months ago

When can we get this kind of info on KU football recruiting??? I realize football is a second thought at KU but it would be nice to know what is going on with KU football recruiting. Besides two small paragraphs stating that a couple guys committed to KU over the weekend. In fact it would be nice to have any kind of coverage on KU football besides uni changes. It is nice to have EVERY SINGLE DETAIL related to basketball in the paper but a little more football info would be even better.

Bud Stagg 14 years, 11 months ago

This kid sounds like a one and done kid anyway. Let him go to OU. If he has that hard of time figuring out which program is better, he's not smart enough to be a Jayhawk.

JayCeph 14 years, 11 months ago

I blame the 'internet people'... also known as 'webbians' or 'information super-spyways.'

If you don't think they're real, just ask Roy Williams. He'll tell you all about them and how they make the sun and moon rise during the middle of day.

We all know this messes with kids' heads and that is what happened to Warren. He saw the sun and moon rise during the middle of the day and thought Oklahoma was a reasonable decision. Don't you see?!? It all make sense now. The internet people told him to rank his schools... this made him dizzy and all the logic spilled out of his ego.

justanotherfan 14 years, 11 months ago

What's with people criticizing Warren for taking advice from his mom? I try to avoid namecalling on here, but that's just stupid. He's 16 or 17 and still listens to his mom. I bet a lot of you that are parents wish that was true with your kids now.

I understand being upset if a kid doesn't come to KU, but criticizing him because his mother is influencing his decision rather than some coach or street agent is absurd. Complain about him having OU and Texas in front of KU all you want. Break down his basketball decisions from now until forever. But don't knock a kid for listening to his mom. That's one of the smartest thing any athlete can do.

I don't know what kind of guy Willie is, but if he respects his mom enough to listen, he can play for my team.

emeryhawk 14 years, 11 months ago

I'm tuning out all updates on Willy Warren. He's going to be a really good player. I've heard a lot of Baron Davis comparisons. But he seems really indecisive. It almost looks like he thinks the recruiting circus is a joke and is just toying around with people by changing his top schools every week or two. That doesn't mean that he's a low character guy; maybe he's just indecisive. But it's not worth anyone's time to speculate on the newest information on him, because it changes every week. Even if he commits, I wouldn't count on this guy until he's wearing the uniform. He'd be a nice pick up though. Really good player. And I agree that people need to stop bashing these recruits' character every time one of them says something a little bit dumb. It's way premature to be making those kinds of judgements.

JayCeph 14 years, 11 months ago

justanother... and emery...

Good points on the 'character' issue. I strike it from the record. However, the 'ego' issue still stands. As does the ridiculousness of having OU at the top of any list that doesn't start off with "Schools good for nothing."

The Mom thing? Shouldn't be brought up. Every kid should be lucky enough to have a strong relationship with their parents... just not the 'internet people.' They make you dizzy~

Craig Lang 14 years, 11 months ago

I'm starting to see the comparisons between WW and DA. Can somebody just induce him to have a dream about KU? Or, what if his mom has the dream? That could work, too.

I won't be heartbroken if Warren decides on OU (I get the feeling he's already made up his mind), but I have to admit that it would be quite a coup if the Jayhawks end up with him.

fljayhawk, if recruits picked schools based on academics, then it would be the professors who would do the recruiting and not the coaches.

Blake Post 14 years, 11 months ago

Yes. I know nothing about this recruit except what I just read. Do others know have more info so that they can judge him? Hmmm. As for the question of Git S, the recruit meant that KU and UT were about equal, not that KU and OU were. But I agree... catch OU? All I want to see is us dunking on their heads! Brandon would be my favorite choice for this endeavor. As for arrogance, I want the kind that makes them think their shot is going in and that they can play with anyone.

JayCeph 14 years, 11 months ago

Lebowski, I can appreciate the sentiment but I cannot agree.

If someone is being trained to be a bigot, are they forgiven for the epithets they scream at others in public? Nope. The choice is still theirs.

This kid does not live in a vacuum nor does he live in Plato's cave. He knows what is acceptable, what is reasonable, what is real. Being self-centered is not on the menu.

97jhawk 14 years, 11 months ago

Is this kid nuts? How can he even compare Oklahoma to KU? This is basketball, not football for cryin' out loud. I could understand comparing KU to say UNC or UCLA or some other powerhouse hoops school, but Oklahoma with the youngest NCAA coach? I don't think so. Give me a break. Who needs an idiot like that that can't decipher a stand out hoops school from another. Unreal.

Jaminrawk 14 years, 11 months ago

Why would Oklahoma be #1? They stink. They don't even get on Big Monday except maybe once or twice a year and that's only because they play KU one or both of those times. Jeff Capel over Bill Self? Don't even get me started on Texas. Barnes (the worst coach on Earth) ruined Durant's one season in college. How could that team not make it to at least the Elite Eight? KU is the only choice from that top three. I know it, Ronei knows it and you know it, Willie.

jayhawkinATL 14 years, 11 months ago

I agree with a lot of the posts. I guess Willie came out with his ranking system so that the schools would know just how many "extra benefits" are needed to take the lead. He DEFINITELY sounds like a chump!!!! Stay away, Bill...stay FAR away!!!!

Kirk 14 years, 11 months ago

Talk to me. What do you got for me? Can you catch up to OU? A bay bay

Joe Ross 14 years, 11 months ago

Cut Warren loose if he talks that way. Let him go...

I hope your family is reading these posts, Warren. We don't want ya.

kcmostwanted 14 years, 11 months ago

shoot.. i want him in a jayhawk jersey in 08.. He's what 16-17.. Damn i didn't love KU basketball when i was that age (i liked it but didn't love it)..I fell in love with KU basketball after i attended school there........But anyways, Willie Deserves a KU scholarship... The only reason he's debating is because Mario is only a Junior.. and Sherron is only a Sophmore.. therefore, if he comes in as a gaurd he'll have to sit for a year (he won't start)...Unless if one of them go pro he might not start until 2009...

That's KU's problem.. we're loaded with guys that are 6' 3-4" and under....

Mario..6-1 Sherron..5-11 Releford..6-3 Reed..6-3 Morningstar..6-2 Teahan..6-4

Robinson (will be gone) Stewart (gone) Case (gone)

And I have a feeling if Rush is gone after this year we might play a 3 gaurd lineup but Coach self would prefer to play someone taller~ 6-5 or so at the wing ... or it could be ---- Collins, Chalmers & (Warren, Reed, Releford)

By 2009..Chalmers will be gone but Xavier Henry (if he committs) would be a threat to start at the wing...and maybe Sherron will still be around as a Senior gaurd.. That means Travis, Reed, and if Warren committ..Once again.. there's only one more spot............

He may think that he's a one and done player so if he wants to play right away...Of course he wants to choose somewhere, where he can start...

It'll be a hard fought battle at KU for starting time

jaybate 14 years, 11 months ago

Birds of a feather flock together.

Willie Warren likes to screw with people's minds.

Willie Warren will wind up with a coach who likes to screw with his mind.

If we could do without the knife fight afficionado with the trey after he was here, we can do without Willie Warren before he shows.

justanotherfan 14 years, 11 months ago

I've never heard anything to indicate that this kid is violent or has had run ins with the law/school officials/etc. jaybate.

It's one thing to say that he's indecisive or cocky. Another to say that he's someone that would be in the middle of a brawl at a bar. I don't understand some of you fans sometimes. If Willie had committed you'd be all over him, but since he's weighing his options with schools you don't like, he's a punk, or whatever you are calling kids these days.

JayCeph 14 years, 11 months ago

justanother...

I don't think people are reacting to the fact that Warren is weighing his options with other schools (including ones that most fans don't like). To do that is simply a matter of due diligence. It is expected...

I think people are reacting to the sound of his egregious ego. Nothing more.

justanotherfan 14 years, 11 months ago

I guess because of my age (mid twenties) I remember quite clearly being a junior in high school and trying to pick a college and I understand what these kids are going through. I wasn't even an elite athlete, but I was a good enough student to merit a lot of academic offers and believe me, it was tough to choose. And I made that decision without people sticking microphones in my face every two days asking me to rank my favorites, or what I thought of which schools. I had privacy for my decision until I mailed my letter and deposit. They don't, so I guess I grant them a lot of leeway in what they say and how they conduct themselves because they are just learning how to handle the media.

chaggs 14 years, 11 months ago

momma said? Come on...let OU have Forrest Gump. It's basketball...not ping pong.