Friday, August 24, 2007

Illinois prep considering KU

Verdell Jones, a 6-foot-4, 165-pound senior from Central High in Champaign, Ill., who played well at the Jayhawk Invitational in April, is still in the process of narrowing his long list of prospective colleges.

Jones on Thursday told Rivals.com that Kansas, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Oregon, Gonzaga, Tennessee and Marquette have extended invitations for official campus visits.

"I wouldn't mind going to a situation where they have a lot of guards, whether they are juniors or seniors so I can play behind them and learn from them. I have no problem with that," the slightly-built Jones told Rivals. "That could be a good situation so I can learn how to adapt my style to their style."

¢

Lane on KU's list: Brendan Lane, a 6-9, 190-pound junior from Rocklin (Calif.) High, tells the Sacramento Bee that he's interested in KU, Cal-Berkeley, Southern California and Arizona State. He's the No. 35-rated player in the Class of 2009.

"He's already one of the most skilled big kids around, and he can play on the perimeter," Rocklin High coach Steve Taylor told the Bee.

¢

OSU may lose Cooper: Oklahoma State's basketball program is sweating out the possible transfer of Kenny Cooper.

The Daily Oklahoman and Tulsa World report that the 6-10, 260-pound junior from Monroe, La., is considering transferring to Louisiana Tech.

The Oklahoman said he met with OSU coaches Thursday and will head home for the weekend to finalize a decision. Classes at OSU begin Monday.

"Kenny is going through kind of an emotional period right now," coach Sean Sutton told the Tulsa World. "A couple of close friends of his family passed away. And his brother Roy (former OSU basketball player Roy Candley) has been in the hospital. I think Kenny's family would like to see him come back and play closer to home."

OSU has lost guard JamesOn Curry to the NBA. Senior Marcus Dove is on indefinite suspension from the team after being charged with drunken driving. Also in the offseason, sophomore Obi Muonelo was cited for being underage in a bar, and junior Terrell Harris was cited for attempting to use false identification and obstructing an officer.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 15 years, 1 month ago

Anybody who is 6'4" and 165 lbs. is a lightweight and that is being nice. Bill needs to get guys with some muscle mass.

argentinehawk 15 years, 1 month ago

With all this trouble that the osu b-ball team is having, I really can't see Sutton lasting another year there. I really hope that they don't try and go after coach Self.

BigTamale 15 years, 1 month ago

argentinehawk,

No kidding! I don't think it will be an issue, but the situation will definately come up.

JayCeph 15 years, 1 month ago

KU recruit Quintrell Thomas says, "I really like the way they play the game at Kansas. The coaching staff also does a great job of developing players and preparing them for the NBA. Coach (Bill) Self isn't going to leave for another school, which is also important."

So, there you have it. Self is stayin'... right?

Jacobpaul81 15 years, 1 month ago

Guys, remember, Sean for the most part is working with what eddie left behind, which was a deteriorating program. OSU knows that Sutton on name alone should return that program to its past state. Also remember, Eddie had two sons. I suspect OSU would hire Scott, before Self, to avoid the in conference issues it would create.

chezlog 15 years, 1 month ago

Self won't switch to a different school within the Big 12. It isn't done (by a head coach.) He won't do it. I say it's a waste of energy worrying about that one.

jman18562 15 years, 1 month ago

If you thought Roy was dumb for leaving Kansas... Well you guys all receive the prize of being even dumber for thinking Bill would leave for another school. Roy is the only person on this planet, crazy or sane, who would leave Kansas. Why would this even be a discussion?

argentinehawk 15 years, 1 month ago

"Self won't switch to a different school within the Big 12"

Didn't Eddie Sutton do it when he was in the SEC??

Bill Woodard 15 years, 1 month ago

I believe that Arkansas was still in the Southwest Conference when Sutton took the Kentucky (SEC) job. The Southwest merged with the Big Eight in 1996 or 1997.

Bill Woodard 15 years, 1 month ago

And to continue, when the Southwest ceased to be, Arkansas ended up joining the (also-expanding) SEC.

argentinehawk 15 years, 1 month ago

I forgot about that bwoodard, arkansas was in the southwest. my bad.

seattlehawk_78 15 years, 1 month ago

Didn't Tubby Smith coach at Georgia before he went to Kentucky?

I think if Bill Self's intention was to ultimately coach at OSU he would have stayed at Illinois. He knew the senior Sutton was about to retire and all he had to do was wait in Champaign a few more years.

jaybate 15 years, 1 month ago

1. Self will NOT leave KU for Stillwater State unless global warming causes a rise in sea level that inundates the state of Kansas.

2. Assuming Kansas stays dry, Self will only leave KU if: a.) Hemenway starts screwing with Self the way he did with Williams; or b.) Self's buddy moves the pro team to OKC and offers "Larry Brown Money" to Bill Self to take over.

Note: Self's buddy is once again making noise in the Pacific Northwest that there is a signifiant possibility that he will move the team to OKC.

Few men can turn down $20M bones to run a pro team, unless they are already fixed for life and have their kids fixed for life, too. Self is probably fixed, but his kids probably aren't yet.

If you wanted to sell pro basketball to OKC, you just couldn't do better than Bill Self. Doc Rivers? Rick Adelman? Hell, Phil Jackson? The OKCers would shrug at NBA coaches. But Bill Self? Local boy made good comes home to build a winning franchise? Their season ticket sales would spike 20% as soon as they signed him. His buddy, the owner knows it, too. And his buddy has probably had a long talk with Eddie Sutton, not about hiring Eddie, but to ask him if Eddie Ball could work in the pros? And Eddie, the smartest basketball mind of his generation of coaches, will palm his hang dog face and nod his head and say, "Heck, yes, it will work, if a guy who really understands runs the show." And the owner will say, "Like Bill Self?" And Eddie will say, "Abso-dang-lutely, he's the best there is at coachin' my game." And the owner will run the numbers and figure what it will take and then he'll give Larry Brown a call and ask, "You don't know me from Dick, Larry, but I oown the NBA franchise in OKC." Brown, with dollar signs in his eyes, will interrupt and say, "I've never told anyone this before, but I've always loved Oklahoma City more than any other city in the country. The people there are super. I used to love recruiting there, when I was at Kansas, and you've probably heard how much I hated recruiting." But Self's buddy, the owner, is having none of LB's canned flattery. The OKC owner says, "Do you think Bill Self could cut it in the NBA?" And Brown, swiftly losing interest, will say, "Yea, of course, the kid's a natural. I gotta go now." And so the owner offers Bill $20M bones to be Coach and GM. And Bill will call a press conference and say, "KU is the greatest and there is no other college job I would even consider taking. To be frank, he offered me more money than I have ever dreamed of making, and he offered me the chance to come home to Oklahoma, and the challenge of coaching at the next level. Cindy and I talked it over and we decided the decision to go was what was best for our family at this time. I will always be a Jayhawk till the day I die, but duty calls in Oklahoma City and I feel I must answer.

If people want to hand wring about long shots, this is the long shot to wring hands about.

Jeremy Bolinger 15 years, 1 month ago

So Rontei Clark dropped KU from his schools under consideration. Im very disappointed to see this. I would love to get a shooter like this kid!