Back to game coverage

Purdue at Kansas coverage

Kansas defeats Purdue, 63-60

• 7:40 p.m., March 18, 2012
  • CenturyLink Center, Omaha,

FINAL: KU overcomes 10-point, second-half deficit, defeats Purdue, 63-60

Elijah Johnson put in a breakaway dunk with 23 seconds to give KU the lead, and Purdue's Robbie Hummel and Ryne Smith missed late threes for the lead and tie as the Kansas men's basketball team defeated Purdue, 63-60, on Sunday night in the Round of 32 at CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Neb.

KU trailed by as many as 10 points early in the second half.

Johnson led KU with 18 points. Thomas Robinson added 11 points and 13 rebounds, while Tyshawn Taylor and Travis Releford had 10 points apiece.

KU advances to the Sweet 16, where it will face 11th-seeded North Carolina State on Friday.

Comments

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, this team NEVER gives up. I said to keep the faith, because I don't give up on this team where I might have known it was over in other years. This team may not have the same talent, but they have that 2008 never-say-die and never-back-down attitude. They NEVER think they lost it. EVER.

That will keep us going. It will be REALLY REALLY hard to win it all, but that's the attitude you have to have. When nothing is going your way, you still find a way to win it.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

rtwngr 10 years, 8 months ago

That truly is your best side in the photo.

Brian Powell 10 years, 8 months ago

THANK YOU EJ FOR SAVING OUR SORRY BUTTS!

Dave Benjamin 10 years, 8 months ago

I drove 4 miles for them and want my gas money back. Nothing like stale, greasy Doritos mixed with horse meat.

Andrew Washington 10 years, 8 months ago

WOW EJ has really stepped up during this tournament. SO happy right now. ROCK CHALK!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

I probably shouldn't have had those Red Bulls...will DEFINITELY not be sleeping anytime soon!!!

Jace FitzGibbon 10 years, 8 months ago

elijah needs to wear those same shoes every game. shows something that we play our worst game all year by far and we still win.

rock chalk!

manhattanhawkfan 10 years, 8 months ago

at the 5 minute mark I screemed, "EJ, time to put yo' shoes on and carry this team to a W." Sho' 'nuff, he did.

IA4jayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm exhausted after that game. Can't even imagine how the players feel. We get a second chance. That's something that we haven't exactly had these past couple of tourneys. I hope the players and coaches are ready to go from the beginning of Friday's game. Otherwise, it will be another long night. Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

That's what Roy would say. Roy will spit in the Mississippi River but they have a battle with Ohio in the Sweet 16.

James McGuire 10 years, 8 months ago

I was thinking the same thing when that shot went up.

Jim Dickerson 10 years, 8 months ago

Another great job Jesse. Can't imagine the tension you must have felt by watching that in person. Thanks again for your work/

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 8 months ago

Plus all of the riff raff comments tonight..Kudos to Jeff! You rock (chalk) steady !

Mark Hopkins 10 years, 8 months ago

WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO BOB AND SCOTT THE LAST MINUTE!

KUAlum2000 10 years, 8 months ago

First time i have listened to those guys all year (way out here in AZ) and they sounded like grumpy old men the whole game. Bob couldn't tell if a shot was a 2 or a 3 and didn't know when whistles blew. They both hate the video reply too.

But, it was a hoot to hear Bob get excited like he does on those last few series of plays. It was awesome.

James McGuire 10 years, 8 months ago

I only caught the second half, but dang those final few minutes were intense.

As soon as I left the live blog we took the lead. I am wondering if I should stay away from it for the next game?

James McGuire 10 years, 8 months ago

I am sure everyone will miss my incredible insights to the game, but I think I can handle that.

(sarcasm font)

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

I was being sarcastic, btw. Thanks for sharing.

MimiHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THOMAS ROBINSON !! !

WHAT an amazing W !!! RCJH KU !

Ben Kane 10 years, 8 months ago

i disagree with the talking heads. there was no way TT could have dribbled out the entire 2.5 seconds and you take the guaranteed points and worst case scenario shot to tie over the less time on the clock, TT misses one of his free throws and they have the chance to win... I say TT made the right play and i hope he does it again.

Jace FitzGibbon 10 years, 8 months ago

i thought the same thing...id rather take the sure 2 points and the security that you know you can lose unless someone gets fouled on a 3 and makes it too...

Brian Powell 10 years, 8 months ago

yeah, you can't fault a player for that...

99 times out of 100 you take the made bucket.

ljmhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

the dunk was nice but he could have just thrown the ball up in the air because the clock doesn't stop til the ball comes down.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 8 months ago

I think when you look at the replays, it's clear he could have dribbled out the clock and removed all doubt, but that's easy to say from my armchair. Can't blame him for taking it to the hole.

jumpinjayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Last time a team missed a last second 3, KU won it all

rockchalkxii 10 years, 8 months ago

This can't be good for my blood pressure, and I'm 17. Whew. EJ has stones. That is all. Good night all!

Armen Kurdian 10 years, 8 months ago

Dude! I'm 41. I can't take this...it's a good thing I work out. I fully believe I'm going to die of heart failure watching a KU basketball game.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 8 months ago

What a way to go though....always want to die doing something I love.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

Did you hear the post game when LEijah was just playign the company line and tyshawn, jumps in and says... You know he was smiling when he took that shot... GO back rewind the tape., He was smiling.

Elijah's becoming a star before our Eyes.

Nice Offense from Releford too Early keeping us alive.

Rock Chalk 10 years, 8 months ago

Still shaking. So hoarse. The neighbors must be crazy. It was loud here! Oh, these guys are going to give me a heart attack.

Matt Lacey 10 years, 8 months ago

Was Painter crying at the end? He wiped his eyes in the replay walking down to shake HCBS's hand.

Janet Olin 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow. Congratulations, Hawks!! Thomas and Tyshawn made some key plays in the last 2 minutes, and EJ was definitely star of the game. EJ, you saved our bacon, and I love the humility--"just learnin' "

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

You're welcome people.

I had to abandon every single old superstition that I have had and come up with some new ones in order for us to pull this one out.

It appears I will be spending the rest of the tournament sitting on my couch in only my camouflage boxer-briefs, with my feet resting on a folded up K-State blanket (don't ask why I have one) and the remote on the floor beside the couch ( out of grabbing & throwing range ) and sucking (NOT chewing) on orange flavored ice.

You can't make this stuff up.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

Were you in that Charlie Sheen commercial? Just asking, man.

Scott Lippoldt 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey, I'm with you, Nuleafjahawk,

I wore my domin8 shirt for the first time today, and when it looked totally out of hand, I changed to a non-KU shirt. Won't wear that one until the season is over. RCJH!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

Okay, I confess. I started a new superstition. I rubbed Bill Self's face on my framed autographed picture of the Head Coach for good luck. I know it's weird but you can't make this stuff up, just like nuleaf.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 8 months ago

Wore my KU first shirt which was new to my posession for the KU vs. MU game at Allen this year. I do not know if it is good luck or bad luck.

David Davison 10 years, 8 months ago

I had on a KU polo shirt that I wore last game. We weren't doing well but I was sure the shirt had good luck in it. Decided before half that if we weren't ahead at the under 16 time out in the 2nd, I would switch shirts. So I switched to my other KU polo then. Almost switched to a KU T-shirt at the under 4, but we were closer and I thought if things go bad I may not have time to change again.

Now I'm confused on if I should wear this 2nd polo for the next game, or if I'm meant to wear a different shirt each game.

Ron Prichard 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm right there with you, nuleaf. When I watch a close game, everything in the room has to be in its place. Tonight I was straightening a tray that sits on this ottoman type thing and my wife looked at me and said, "you realize you have a problem, right?"

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

lol - after I threw off my third different shirt, my wife left the room. I'm just glad it was only the two of us tonight. I'm not that comfy in my camo boxer-briefs around most people. But I would have run around the block in them if I thought it would help - anything for the team !

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 8 months ago

Last time my wife watched a KU game with me was the VCU game last year. She said that she wanted to watch with me tonight and we started out down 11-2. I asked her to not watch with me around the second television time out and now I am going to sleep a happy man on the couch.

Chris1955 10 years, 8 months ago

In for a penny, in for a pound. Good luck with the new regimen.

John Randall 10 years, 8 months ago

Eight is not enough! Certainly can't fault the officials for their effort, though – they really left it all on the court!

With honest officiating, Purdue's three bigs all foul out early - #55 in first half, if not ten minutes. There wasn't even any attempt by officials to allow both teams to hack and grab – anything close was called under one basket, nothing short of decapitation on the other end. Worst I've witnessed in seven decades.

Jim Dickerson 10 years, 8 months ago

If a fight breaks put, I'm on T-Robs side. They pounded the livin $hit out of him for forty minutes and he still came out the winner.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 8 months ago

Tell me about it. During the game, commenters were calling him out. You can't do anything when you get mugged every play. I will say, it was not a good idea to put T Rob on Hummel. That took T Rob totally out of rythmn. EJ was the main man!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

North Carolina State is a whole different animal----Wolfpack----get it?! We might have to beat both the Wolfpack and the Tarhills----unbelievable. The NCAA didn't do us any favors, huh?

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

mikendal - I don't think there is any team out there that can beat us except the ones with " KANSAS " on their jerseys.

If we're play hard and smart - engrave that trophy now.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

Very good point, nuleaf. Hope we still have four more games to play. One at a time.

MrPilot 10 years, 8 months ago

Aaaaahhhhh! Survive and Advance! Rock Chalk!!!

ejlumus 10 years, 8 months ago

Watched replay 3 times .... Ku still won!

rob4lb 10 years, 8 months ago

It's survive and advance. KU was very fortunate to win. How many team win shooting 32% from the field? I would like to think that won't happen again. The coaching staff has a few days to prepare for the next game. I don't know much about NC State, but I hope they are not guard oriented.

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

From what I've seen, they're not. They have a pretty good, physical front line. It'll be tough, but not in a match-up way that Purdue was.

texashawk10 10 years, 8 months ago

CJ Leslie is a beast and who makes NC State go. Slow him down and KU is going to the Elite 8.

Mark Hopkins 10 years, 8 months ago

Feel good for coach too! He really wanted this win for his players. You could just tell!

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

Post game talking heads made a good point: we got a win with our two best players playing like crap. We had someone else step up big and make huge, huge contributions, especially late, to win us the game.

Kit Duncan 10 years, 8 months ago

Thomas didn't play like crap, he was mugged and the refs wouldn't call the fouls under KU's basket! Ty didn't have the best game, but was somewhat taken out of his game because Purdue kept collapsing the lane. They left TRel, Withey and KY open on the perimeter all game while manning up on either TT or EJ, whichever had the ball.

Win and advance! Go KU!!!

Ben Kane 10 years, 8 months ago

had 'em right where we wanted them all game :P

centralkskufan 10 years, 8 months ago

I scared the crap out of my cat with that Elijah three....it was on my couch and I yelled loud enuff it flew off the couch running the other way. I would be proud to get the cops over for a noise violation with one person tonight lol

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

AS often happens when Kansas Hits a big three, Cats slink away scurred..... Right Mizzou? Right K-state?

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

Yes, hopefully we got all that crap-ball out of our system!!!

iluvdbskxjayhawks 10 years, 8 months ago

congrats Jayhawks! I'm so happy for u guys. the last 2 minutes were crazy. glad we made it through. don't look down on nc state. study them well and beat their butts next week.

fansincewilt 10 years, 8 months ago

I think I read somewhere that coach said it was Elijah's time.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Crazy game. I love the heart of this team. Elijah referred to it post game when he said we've been here before and nobody got down about it. We've learned not to panick even when playing 99% of the game from behind. I believe we have what it takes to be in the Final Four. Absolutely special team! Rock Chalk!

David Davison 10 years, 8 months ago

Thats the funniest thing I've read all year. +1

Jason Pearce 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to be wearing only my #15 jersey and boxers from here on out!

fansincewilt 10 years, 8 months ago

Thank you, Jayhawks. We have two Big 12 teams in the Sweet Sixteen. I will be rooting to get both to elite 8 and the Jayhawks to the final 4. Go Jayhawks.

MrPilot 10 years, 8 months ago

I hope Baylor makes it to the Final 4 too. That means Kentucky didn't. ;-)

mispayku 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm physically and emotionally exhausted and beyond proud that we didn't give up!! RCJH!!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

Oakville-----calling Oakville-----the Hawks are gonna play in yo back yard. Are you planning to see them in person? Hope so---this is a special team. Rock Chalk!

bbeckum 10 years, 8 months ago

My superstitions: KU handtowel hanging in bathroom, unused and unwashed since second Baylor game DO Not wear any KU clothing except Jayhawk slippers and most importantly: Good Luck Dip (Copeenhagen)

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

WHEW!!! For a minute there I didn't see the "KU" before "any clothing"....I was hoping you were a monk or in solitary confinement!!! :)

brooksmd 10 years, 8 months ago

WOW, just frickin' WOW!!! Listen up guys. At 63 I can't handle too many more games like this. Now next weekend, get out there and take care of business early so I can fall asleep from boredom.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

I tried to tell Jesse that, too. Jesse predicted a 2-point win and I said, "my stomach cannot handle a close game. Let's face it---Jesse knows what he is talking about.

FLJHK 10 years, 8 months ago

Gotta give props to Purdue. Painter is a great coach (and smart - he turned down the MIzzou job). And Hummel is a class act. Tough dude after all he has endured. We were very fortunate to win.

But now things set up very well for us. With 5 days to prepare, Self will have a great game plan for NC State, and TRob and TT have their bad game behind them.

Then we'll face a weakened UNC team with no pressure on us.

Gotta like prospects for the Final Four.

reber5000 10 years, 8 months ago

That was probably our most undeserved win this season... But a Win never the less!

Mike Kendall 10 years, 8 months ago

dgaskill 10 years, 8 months ago

I knew We were OK (At about the 2 to 3 min mark) when Robinson hits his two free throws, then goes back to Taylor and says something and Taylor gets a big smile on His face, then Robinson turns around with a big smile............All was well after that.....We went into 3rd gear

Rock Chalk!

Way to go Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shanghaijhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Love EJ's response to Craig Sager's question in the post-game interview....left him speechless.

PhogAdvisory 10 years, 8 months ago

I was too busy calling relatives and cheering wildly to hear what he said. What was his comment?

shanghaijhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Sager: What took you until March to come around? EJ: (looking down at Sager from the corner of his eye): I'm still learning

I don't think Sages is used to such honesty and remembered for a moment these are not NBA players. He just paused, smiled then congratulated him

Ben Kane 10 years, 8 months ago

i love the first four days of the tournament. they're my favorite 4 days of the year. Nothing but non-stop, extreme intensity, madness.

now the real work begins.

to quote the karate kid, no mercy! Rockchalk!

dgaskill 10 years, 8 months ago

Way to Go E.J. you were part of the 3rd gear push!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

Let's say what we all really think................I have never been more disgusted in a Kansas win and here's why:

1) Jesse Newell needs to ask why on earth he had T-Rob on Robbie Hummel to start this game? I mean, that is the worst possible matchup/gameplan you could ever start with.

You give a guy who is a stand up shooter even more space to shoot where he is most comfortable...............from behind the arc?  I mean, come on coaching staff, I have no idea what were you were thinking with that matchup.  Inexcusable IMO.

Why didn't Releford start on Hummel? That mistake almost cost Kansas the game IMO.

2) Since when did jacking up 3's turn into Kansas Basketball? Did anybody else notice a similarity between this game and the VCU and UNI games? Slow, methodical, Purdue dictated the pace, Purdue pushed Kansas out of it's comfort zone and the result...............................a whopping 6-24 from the 3 point line!

I mean, Kansas shot 16 3 pointers in the first half! Are you kidding me? Kansas hadn't shot over 20 attempts in game since the North Dakota game this year and they jacked up 27 attempts (6-27) and played awful in that game as well.

I have said all year that this was my nightmare game and it almost came true. I don't know how KU won, but Bill Self is very lucky. A "W" will hide all the negatives from this game.

I could go on and on with this game, but I am so utterly shocked KU won I feel as though KU lost. That's terrible for me to say, but in no way do I feel good about this win. I didn't see Kansas Basketball............I saw a Matt Painter Southern Illinois squad from 2007, a Davidson squad in 2008, a UNI squad in 2010, and a VCU squad in 2011 all dictate tempo, have a much better game plan, and completely push Kansas around.

Ben Kane 10 years, 8 months ago

i was shocked not to see ghost on hummel at the start. but i don't get paid to make the decisions and we won, so i'm not complaining. enjoy the win, none ever come easy.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 8 months ago

I was about to comment on the 3s issue. I don't know what we were thinking, jacking threes without even working it inside-out. Perhaps all the physical play from Purdue had us intimidated or maybe we were being lazy and hoping to close the gap the "easy way". Teahan was 2-7, but it felt like way worse for some reason.

Either way, this win goes to show ya how important the inside game is for this teams success.

Larry Smith 10 years, 8 months ago

Hummel shoots like 35 % from 3 and averages 16 per game. Who the hell knew he was going to go crazy this game? He had 10 the previous game. Play the percentages.

Larry Smith 10 years, 8 months ago

FLJHK 10 years, 8 months ago

You make a lot of good points. Clearly we were very lucky to win.

I completely agree with your point about TRob guarding Hummel. It made no sense and nearly cost us the game.

I agree we shot too many 3's. But that was partly dictated by their collapsing inside defense, TRob clearly being off his game, and TT unable to effectively attack the rim. We were forced to take outside shots. Credit Painter's game plan and our own ineffectiveness at an inside game.

I also don't understand not trying harder to exploit the Withey - TRob inside game, and Teahan getting so much playing time. I don't pretend to be any sort of hoops expert, but I simply don't understand that strategy. I don't think Teahan is the defensive liability many think he is, but if he isn't hitting his shots he contributes little.

I do think that escaping this game portends good things for the rest of the tourney.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to disagree with one thing you said: We weren't "lucky to win" -- we had to work our butts off on defense to win. Hummel was making circus shots and the refs were on their usual pro-Cinderella bandwagon. I do agree that some of Self's in-game moves were at least questionable, but on the other hand if he wasn't such an incredible defensive coach we would have had no chance to pull that ugly game out of the hat.

FLJHK 10 years, 8 months ago

Also, I like to think this is a reminder of Davidson in 2008. Good things happened after that, including a sweet meeting with UNC.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree with some of the criticisms here. It really annoys me that Self is so quick to allow opponents to dictate what we do. In this game, as with the two games vs. Mizzou, we had a clear advantage inside and we just conceded it -- Withey, one of our best players, was a complete non-factor in all three games because Self decided to go small against smaller teams. Withey made some nice plays early in the 2nd tonight, then Self promptly benched him for the rest of the game. At times we even had a 5-guard lineup, and we were quicker defensively, but then couldn't secure a rebound. I just wonder how this game might have gone differently if we had just played to our strengths the whole time and made them adjust to us, not vice versa.

HOWEVER... Now that I've got all that armchair coaching off my chest, I have to acknowledge that Self deserves a lot of credit for this win -- maybe not for in-game decisions, but for instilling such strong defensive principles in his players. There aren't too many teams that have the defensive chops to survive a game like this when we can't buy a bucket.

eastcoasthawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Gotta wonder about a lot of things from this game. TRob finally figures out that he can dish the ball to Withey in the second half when the double and triple teams come, we get the basket and Bill immediately pulls Withey out. EJ realizes that with 3 guys dropping back on TRob he can get to the lane and hit a 8-10 foot shot. But we never see it again.

If I am correct Perdue led this game for all but 43 seconds. So for 39 minutes and 17 seconds we were chasing the game. Unbelievable. We were ahead when it counted.

Major kudos to the guys for hanging in there, battling through a very tough grind it out game. Can only hope this is the start of something going into the Sweet 16.

JayHawkFanToo 10 years, 8 months ago

I said it after the Baylor game in KC that it and the MU game at AFH would end up helping KU the rest of the way. This team has learned that no matter how far behind they get (hoping they don't do it too often) they have the talent and will to come back and win. They sure did that tonight...in spades.

The prophet sure shined on Sunday; praise the Lord. The game to go to the Final Four is on Sunday; praise the Lord again.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

1] The KU football team had games that weren't as rough as this one. 2] Referee whistles are against the law in Nebraska. 3] I could have sworn it sounded like Allen the last two minutes. 4] Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. 5] Hummel in the first half was one of the most unbelievable shooting displays I have ever seen. 6] I think we can win against NC State but I am afraid it will be quite difficult to beat a #1 seed on short rest for this team. 7] Still, there's always hope with Roy and the his weird out factor when playing Kansas!! 8] Barkely was right, however, if we pull this kind of start against NC State we'll be toast!!

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

5 - Hummel looked like he'd done his scouting report.

KU has been very prone to defeat by the trey over the past several years in the NCAA Tournament. Below is a list of 3 pointers by KU and it's opponents back to 2005, which is where the agony of losing to much lower seeded teams started for me!

Listed is the year, the opposing team and their number of 3's, then our team and our number of 3's.

1. VCU 12. KU 2
  2. UNI 9. KU 6
  3. Mich St 5. KU 3
  4. Memphis 6. KU 3
  5. UCLA 8. KU 4
  6. Bradley 11. KU 7
  7. Bucknell 8. KU 1

Every one of these games that the opponent outshot us from three resulted in a loss, except for the 2008 game. I'm not suggesting that we have to shoot a lot more threes, but we sure need to defend them better.

And when Frankamp gets here - Bombs away baby.

(sorry for the spacing - it looked better until i hit "post comment" - don't know why I can't seem to figure that out)

kureader 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't care what you say. You're not stupid. Good analysis, Nuleaf. I kept waiting for the punch line, and there wasn't one.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

One other thing that absolutely drove me nuts in this game was the timeout with 2:12 to go in the game. Instead of running to your bench, every single player on Kansas walked the full length of the court with their heads sagging, shoulders frumping.........completely feeling sorry for themselves.

IMO, that's on Coach Self as well! There is no reason to feel that way because you're the closest you have been all game. I don't know, I just hated the body language every player was portraying at that part of the game.

I just wish KU would have shown a least 10 percent of the passion they exhibited after the final Tyshawn dunk with 2.5 secs left.

Just glad this game is over and thankful KU is heading to next week even though it still feels like a loss for me.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 8 months ago

Maybe at that point they were too tired to jog back to the bench. Wow, BigMan, you'd think we lost. Can't you just enjoy the win?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

I'll be honest, it's hard for me to enjoy this one knowing that this game resembled too much of other post-season disappointments. Jacking up 3's and a terrible game plan from the beginning irritates the crap out of me especially, when it's happened in a similar manner in year's past.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 8 months ago

You have some valid criticisms, but if you can't enjoy this win there's something wrong with you.

FLJHK 10 years, 8 months ago

Actually, if there is a flaw in all of this, it is why does Kansas play nervous so often in the tourney. Tonight TRob, TT and Teahan all played nervous. To what extent can that be blamed on the coaching staff, and to what extent is it simply kids reacting to the magnitude of the moment?

But again, once you get past a game of nervousness, good things tend to happen.

jiminycricket 10 years, 8 months ago

I've seen us lose too many of those games....I guess playing the Nothern Iowa and the Bradley, VCU and Bucknell is not the same as Purdue.... Purdue thought they had something to lose and simply prove their own point. I never would have guessed that T-Rob could play so bad....and this team could win. Thank You Purdue. For every tournament champion needs a Purdue.

IkePikeHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

In our 1988 championship run, our closest game was the 2nd one against Murray State in the sub regional in Nebraska. I hope for a repeat. It's much better for the nerves.

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 8 months ago

That run also included a win vs. Purdue, as I recall.

Gil Ek 10 years, 8 months ago

Piece of Cake! Just pacing ourselves for the final four.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 8 months ago

First off, I am so glad that they decided not to go to Hummel in the second half. I can't understand when a guy scored 22 in the first half, why he only got 3 shots in the second half, and I don't think it was our defense.

Second, I loved the slow methodical cutting down the lead. there were times when we were lofting 3s early in the shot clock that really gave them the lead (and hummel's shooting).

Third, I know that Tharpe didn't play very long, but when we had zero and I mean ZERO offense, he hit that 3 that lifted us in the first half.

EJ was solid.

NCState first, but did anybody else see that UNC probably is losing Marshall to a wrist injury (that's a team that had the injury bug, like we had last year).

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 8 months ago

I would wager that Hummel's lack of 2nd half points was about 50% our defense and about 50% Hummel trying to get his teammates involved. It's tough to win by yourself. They went back to him near the end, but he had cooled off substantially by then.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 8 months ago

Although I agree. In the first half there were times when Hummel was well covered, he was "in the zone" and you feed the guy that is hot.

ancient_hawk 10 years, 8 months ago

1 for 5 in the second half. He burned his candle up in the first half. But he still gets a tip of the cap from me.

OmaHawk88 10 years, 8 months ago

Just got home from CenturyLink Center...WOW!!! Leaving the arena, all you could hear in the concourse and stairways was the Rock Chalk Chant--it was beautiful! The place sounded almost as loud as the Phog when Tyshawn made the final dunk. Not sure I've ever heard it that loud for a Creighton game. Way to represent in Omaha KU fans!!

justinryman 10 years, 8 months ago

Can't say the refs helped us or hurt us that game, calls went both ways.

We played a terrible 1st half, and they played an almost perfect one. We played a par second and still ended up winning.

this team over came Robbie F'ing Hummel's hot hand. Painters triple team D on TRob an off night by Taylor. The only plays Withey made were a dunk and guarding the end bound at the end. EJ stepped up. kevin Young gave some valued Defensive mins. Travis played solid D too.

Coach Self got out coached in the 1st half and came back out and showed everyone why he has won 8 strait conf. titles.

I wasn't worried until we took the lead on EJs HUGE 3, and they came right back and took the lead away.

But give this team credit they didn't fold, the adversity they had in the MU game at home and winning. Losing to MU and Duke the way those games ended prepared this team for what is happening right now!!!

It's good to be a Jayhawk!!

Roger Tobias 10 years, 8 months ago

Hard to know why HCBS started T-Rob on Hummel. Maybe the height? T-Rob didn't really have anyone he matched up well with. On the offensive end, the lack of whistles in the paint kept T-Rob in check, except for stickbacks. Maybe it's good he waited to put T-Rel on Hummel, as extra minutes early might have meant he fouled out and wasn't there at the end.

I think this may have been the best game I have seen HCBS coach, and by that I mean adapt. The opening game plan didn't work, but the adjustments, whether they be triangle-2, box-1, or just the small ball for quickness, definitely paid off. It was the smalls who got the runouts to win it for us. T-Han was throwing bricks, but the way they packed it in if we had hit a few threes it would have loosened up the paint. I suspect everybody we play is going to make us beat them from downtown.

Lastly, after the next-to-last time-out, before shooting his free throws, T-Rob and T-shawn said something that had them both smiling. We were still behind. I was amazed they were so calm/confident considering the situation. Kind of reminded me of the smiles before overtime started in the 2008 championship game.

Bee Bee 10 years, 8 months ago

Tickets for ST LOU starting at $267? Really? Piracy.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 8 months ago

If you are willing to risk going to St. Louis without tickets, the tickets can usually be paid for less just outside the arena. Just make sure you know the arena, so you don't buy the worst seats in the stadium.

Rock Chalk 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey, I'm happy for the Omaha priest that he was able to see this live and courtside. I'm sure he was praying hard the whole time for his Jayhawks. I know I was.

Ben Kane 10 years, 8 months ago

didn't we play nc state and jimmy v in the sweet sixteen in 88?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

No, Kansas was suppose to play NC State (3 seed) in the second round, but they lost to Murray State in the first round.

Kansas was then suppose to play second seeded Pitt in the Sweet 16, but they lost to 7 seed Vanderbilt

Kansas beat Xavier, Murray State, Vanderbilt, K-State, Duke, and OU in route to the Championship!

hawk_of_ages 10 years, 8 months ago

No, we beat NC State in 1986 to get to the Final Four -- that was after our narrow escape vs. Mich. St. in the "clock game" in the previous round.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

Can somebody answer my question? This has happened in year's past, but why did Kansas have to play the second game in their 4 team bracket on Friday? That doesn't make any sense to me and seems to be a disadvantage for the higher seed.

Not that it matters too much, but Purdue got to sit around, plan, scheme, take notes, and virtually scout everything Kansas did against Detroit! They got that extra 2.5 hours to prepare against Kansas and I think that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Also, NC State finished early today and basically got to do the same thing while watching the Kansas game tonight.

FLJHK 10 years, 8 months ago

Dear Jayhawk players:

At the beginning of this season, virtually all of Jayhawk Nation would have been thrilled with a Sweet 16 run and a Big 12 championship. You are playing with the house's money now. The rest of the way just play loose, play Kansas basketball and have fun. Do that and even better things are in store.

Rock Chalk!

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

in which three of our better recruits were not allowed to play because we don't play partial qualifiers Unlike teams like Purdue.

krazykansas1 10 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, guys! Another glorious week of basketball. I LOVE KU!

nwhawkfan 10 years, 8 months ago

I haven't seen the time of Friday's game posted yet...

9:17 pm Central (or 30 minutes after UNC-Ohio)

nwhawkfan 10 years, 8 months ago

Great for us out here on the coast. I won't have to lie to my boss again to get off work early !

KUlolly 10 years, 8 months ago

Our whole family was screaming like we won the whole damn tournament tonight! TRob got hacked on at least 50% of his missed shots that he didn't get calls for. If those had been called and he had gotten to go to the line, I bet we would have won by 8 or more. Just the missed travel call when Purdue was sliding on his rear for 3 feet that resulted in an inbounds play for a quick 2 points for them rather than our possession could have changed the finish. I wouldn't have blamed the refs if we lost because I think you have to figure out how to win regardless of the calls but I will say we didn't get any favors tonight.

RCJH! Have fun in St Louis!

nwhawkfan 10 years, 8 months ago

I've always been confused about the sliding issue when it comes to traveling. The way someone explained it to me, you can still slide and not be called for traveling as long as your feet don't touch the ground. Anybody know for sure?

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

I hope the team bus makes a pit stop in Columbia on the way to St. Louis. Maybe they can do a couple of laps around the campus.and press some ham for everybody to smooch!

Ethan Berger 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey guys remember that one time when Mizzou had their best team ever and lost to a 15 seed?

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Cmon Hawk90,

They had a great year. They played hard and represented themselves, their fans and their university in a very classy way.

Bwaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaa......ha.ha.ha........................ha....(Gasp!).haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaa ha ha.

I can't breathe! I can't breathe........ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok - that NSU/MU game was - by far - the best game of the tournament so far. The only game that will exceed it is when we beat Kensucky for the Title.

Craig Carr 10 years, 8 months ago

Over 30 years of this, probably will be my demise but never count the Hawks out as winning is what we do. 1 point or 30, win and advance, TRob will be so good next weekend, Another example of why it is so great to be a Jayhawk, unlike miz-out!

JayHawkFanToo 10 years, 8 months ago

...and the team that ousted MU lost by 34 point to a #7 team. That is a double whammy for MU.