Back to game coverage

Kansas at Iowa State coverage

Iowa State defeats Kansas, 13-10

• 11:30 a.m., Nov. 5, 2011
  • Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA

FINAL: Late field goal gives Iowa State 13-10 victory over Kansas

Zach Guyer kicked a 42-yard field goal with 4:30 remaining in the fourth quarter, giving Iowa State the lead for good in a 13-10 victory over Kansas on Saturday afternoon at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa.

KU tied the game at 10 on a 19-yard field goal by Ron Doherty with 5:49 left in the third quarter but went scoreless the rest of the way.

The Jayhawks were led by Darrian Miller, who had 17 carries for 70 yards. KU finished with 39 rushes for 174 yards.

Quarterback Jordan Webb completed 13 of 21 passes for 127 yards.

KU (2-7) will play host to Baylor at 1 p.m. on Nov. 5.

Box score

Comments

kwarren 10 years, 6 months ago

And what coach is going to come to KU knowing that they have only 2 years and only one recruting class in their future ???

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 10 years, 6 months ago

No, just no. All I asked for this season was improvement, and we are worse than ever. Mark Mangino took Terry Allen's cupboard and got us to a bowl game in year 2. Even in that first season when we went 2-10 or whatever, you could tell that his players were playing their hearts out on every snap, no matter that they were down by 40 points in the 3rd quarter. I knew, even in Mangino's first year, that we were improving.

The last two seasons have taken everything Mangino worked for and flushed it down the toilet. We are much, much worse than we ever were under Mangino, and worse than we ever were under Allen.

Gill needs to go, and we need to get someone in here who will make these guys play and focus on every down. Seriously, that is all I ask, and Gill has failed to show me it.

kureader 10 years, 6 months ago

a coach who wants to make 2 million, be in a BCS conference, and have better facilities than 80% of the other NCAA teams ... and a coach who knows that KU's recent losses are as much about coaches as players.

Dan Harris 10 years, 6 months ago

I was one for letting Gill have 3 years but this game was lost by Gill not the players. I know we missed 2 fg but some of the schemes he was in on 3rd and long just plain sucked! After their qb gashed us for the upteenth time you would think that he would get a clue but I guess if you BELIEVE they won't convert,,, it will come true, right? Why do you punt with 2 min to go???? I know 3rd and 10 was a low % but not as low as kicking it away!!! FIRE GILL Hire Leach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JhawkalumJB 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm ALL for Leach too, but the missed FGs and the fumble inside the 20 really aren't on the coach.

hailtoku 10 years, 6 months ago

Has a school ever hit rock bottom so fast after an Orange Bowl?

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

can we turn the calendar to december? that way the season will be over

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Can we at least turn it to when TURNER is GONE!

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Fire Gill! Fire him now! He can't even manage the damn clock!

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

All Gill haters, step forward and go on record with your choice for coach.

I've got Gill. 4 years, no less. It's what it takes to "build" something, not "patch" something.

manginodrh00lz 10 years, 6 months ago

Bold statement...what if it was Vic Shealy? Check with me before posting. We can work together.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

It is not about hating Gill, but he is not improving our team. Tell me the positives to go on with this team? We are not getting better and I am curious what it is that you see that shows we are. I was all for giving him at least 3 years, but when what we have is not working it is time to move on.

kwarren 10 years, 6 months ago

the players are in postion to make plays, how is that a coaching problem??? Overall our team has imporved, I have coached high school football for 20 years and KU has imporved every week except on offense last week. We make more plays on offense and from the disaster that was last year, the defense is much better. Let him have one more year on defense before KU makes the decision to fire Gill.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 10 years, 6 months ago

What are you smoking? I'll have what you're having please.

I'll tell ya, the players on defense most certainly are not in position to "make plays." How did the end of the first half against KSU go? Oh yeah, we played a prevent defense and two guys tried to cover the same zone instead of one dropping deep. That, my friend, most certainly is nothing other than poor coaching.

The offense has shown signs of life off and on, and I am honestly satisfied with its performances besides last week's. The defense is the worst I've ever seen in D1 college football. That is coaching, not the players. They aren't teaching them how to play defense, and we are giving up record-breaking numbers because of it. Tell me again, how is it the players fault that they have to start 8-10 yards off the receiver every play? If Gill had fired his defensive coordinator a few weeks ago, and did anything to show he was trying to make an improvement besides his idiotic coach speak, then I may be willing to give him another year. He has done nothing to show me anything. I'd gladly take Mangino back, he's shown he can put a decent team together, and at KU that is all I want, something decent where teams have to think of us as a potential upset. Right now we are the doormat of the conference, not even a question.

Gary Wirsig 10 years, 6 months ago

...and what are your credentials? As a high school coach for 20 years, kwarren has at least a little credibility.

The defense looks awful to me too, but you should engage kwarren intelligently, not just go into attack mode.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

My job is not to find a quality replacement for Gill! That is SZ's job. That is why the university pays him. The mere fact that Gill make 2.1 mill per year is completely unbelievable! He had one decent season at a little no nothing school and lost a bowl game. Osborn didn't pick him because he didn't want him! Who else did we even interview? I have no doubt that 2 million will get us a better coach than one who has no idea of what clock management is nor any clue what a halftime adjustment is! Who runs every single time out of the wildcat????? What are we averaging on that play? Yet we still run it! You can blame the OC for that but ultimately it's on Gill! He is the one who makes the final call! We are regressing week after week! We won't be within 30 points in our remaining games!

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

So your job is what, to fire coaches?

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Are you watching the same game I am???? He can't coach! He makes no adjustments! The team gets worse every week! Look I hate that he can't coach too. I said I wanted him to be given a chance but he has not proven he deserves this job at all! He is making top 25 money in the country to coach a team and we aren't even top 100 in on field performance! Why the hell did Lew pay him this kinda cash???? Just stupid! Hell Muschamp isn't making near that and he's at Florida! Oh and he's coached a Nationally relevant team for a decade!

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 10 years, 6 months ago

No proof, but my theory is that Perkins was sabotaging the football program because he knew he was on the way out, and he's a true a@@ hole, so it was like one last middle finger as he drove into the sunset.

tbbucboy21 10 years, 6 months ago

Im on record. Fire Turner Gill. complete joke. KU>>>>>ISU talent wise no doubt and we lost purely because of coaching. This joke doesnt develop his players and is worst in game coach i have ever seen in my life. pathetic. we need to hire some young stud from a surprising up and coming d1aa school like what jim tressel did when he was hired at osu

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

You prefer Tubberville obviously, who lost to the same team in embarrassing fashion, at home, last week, with even more talent than Gill. Your point is buried in ignorance.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 6 months ago

Why does everyone on this board spell Tuberville with two b's???

peter56321 10 years, 6 months ago

Build what? Gill peaked in year 3 at Buffalo with an 8-6 record but at least improved between years 1 and two. Then got worse in year 4 with another losing record. That's the best KU can do?

James McGuire 10 years, 6 months ago

Before the last few weeks I would have said bring in a new, experienced defensive coordinator and give Gill one more year. Given that we can't do a whole lot on either side of the ball, I would say get rid of this staff and go after Mark Richt at Georgia. I know there are a lot of reasons he would never come here, but he's been on the hot seat for a few years.

kureader 10 years, 6 months ago

Sounded like a good idea ... But, a really good defensive coordinator wouldn't take the KU job, because it could be a one year thing, given Gill's tenuous position.

Bellator 10 years, 6 months ago

I've found that those who throw the hater term around are usually on thin ice with their logic or position.

kuhawks28 10 years, 6 months ago

Good thing you "got" gill. The rest of us want a disciplined, competitive football team that isn't a joke.

TLR 10 years, 6 months ago

Are you really this stupid or is your real name Perkins. This guy is not the right man for the job.

Cora Smith 10 years, 6 months ago

I would start with this list. Although a year old, the Iowa State coach is making half of what Coach Gill is making. There are other qualified names at less money. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-coaches-contracts-table.htm

Billy Derringer 10 years, 6 months ago

you my friend need to put the pipe down its clogging your brain!

Rich Noever 10 years, 6 months ago

TG is not qualified to be a D1 coach. First of all, he only had 1 winning season at Buffalo and it wasn't his last season. No experience as a coordinator or an assistant at the D1 level. I really feel sorry for the team as they seem like they are lost. No improvement over last year.
Not surprising considering his lack of experience. Shealy doesn't seem to have it either. Chuck Long is another problem. Yes he had success at OU. Could that have something to do with the draw of OU? When he left OU and went the San Diego State, his record was 9 Wins 27 losses. How about Mike Leach or Pat Sumlin? I am sure there are coordinators at successful programs that would make us forget TG in a minute.

Kenny Terry 10 years, 6 months ago

This coaching staff is the laughing stock of college football. Turner Gill about to do postgame interview. Think I'm going to get sick

kuhawks28 10 years, 6 months ago

Shouldn't you be out taking someone's senior pictures? Leave the football talk to those of us who work for a living.

ZDKC 10 years, 6 months ago

I suppose you want a list of recruits and a full playbook along with those names?

Just wondering: Do you have a part time gig as a clown?

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

OK - the gloves are off.

Turner Jel - short for Jelly - is THE worst coach in the history of Kansas football. Probably college football. Maybe any level of football ever.

It really ticks me off to see the kids playing their butts off - they know they're the laughingstock of the Big 12 / country / universe - and they're doing the best they can with what they have. The problem is - they have an idiot for a coach.

I LOVED the 4th down at the TWO - 2 !!!!! yard line call. Oh - we can't move the ball 6 feet - and then have the other team 98 yards away if we don't - let's kick the damn ball and tie it up.

Good call if you're LSU or Alabama - Lame azz, weak, idiot call if you're KU vs Iowa State. Does any of you give a crap if we TIE Iowa State ??? I don't - I'd actually like to win a game.

That did it for me and Turner Jel - I'll drive him out of town myself and use my own gas - somebody give me a call.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

KG - give em to me brother - I need em bad!!! lol

kureader 10 years, 6 months ago

nuleaf, do what I do, and you'll be fine. I watch every game with a couple of my best friends ... Jack Daniels and Jimmy Bean! The three of us have had some great conversations this year (they're good listeners).

kureader 10 years, 6 months ago

...er-r, I mean Jimmy Beam $*(^#$ (hic-cup)

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

kureader - life (or at least KU Football life) was so much easier when I was friends with Jack and Jimmy.

I had to give them up because, well I took advantage of them and they made me look stupid.

Kind of like everyone does to our team.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

So far all I've heard is Leach. This is amazing. NO NAMES!

James McGuire 10 years, 6 months ago

I know, but it would better that what we have and its not the same old "Leach or Stoops" talk.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

But he wouldn't come. How's that better?

James McGuire 10 years, 6 months ago

If he were, by some miracle offered the job and took it, it would be better.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

I like Sumlin. He's not exactly playing our schedule though, is he? Tough to say he would fair any better. Running the spread is only a patch, not a long term solution. Sumlin will probably never amount to more than a gimmiky offensive show.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 6 months ago

He's a winner. He was at OU at one point I believe. He can recruit Texas.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Gill recruits Texas. Our OC was the OC at Oklahoma for a national title. What's your point?

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Last year his team went 5-7, the best thing to happen to Sumlin is Kennum.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Bill Young, Nolan Cromwell, Mike Leach, Mike Stoops, Brent Venables, Larry Fedora. Read the posts if you're gonna ask then you gotta read em! This list contains 6 coaches that are all possible hires. Every one is better than Gill! Hell I'm betting their wives could do a better job!

Bellator 10 years, 6 months ago

Give you one Jack@ss? I know only know one and it's KGphoto.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Unless your name is Zenger how do you know that? Do you realize what top 25 money will buy? Our facilities are second to none and the city of Lawrence is awesome! I don't get paid to pick our coach. I'd love to have Leech or Tressel or Bob Stoops, or Brent Venerables. All you're gonna say is they won't come! So your solution is to keep paying Gill and be content with losing week in and week out. We could get a good coach to come here even if he is an up and coming D-coordinator. Hell start looking at High School coaches in Kansas! Maybe Dreiling or Deiner would want it! They cannot do any worse!

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

The solution is to have patience and let him build the team. What are you 4? Some things take time. That's the solution. See Randy Edsall at UConn.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Look I don't hate Gill. And I agree to a point. It will take time to recruit good players and get them to buy in to the system no doubt. Just point me to how this team is improving or progressing? Halftime adjustments have nothing to do with talent on the field. If we weren't making plays after adjustments that's one thing but we flat aren't making any adjustments! We are not getting better! The game plan stays the same no matter what! Run Run Pass Punt! Run Run Pass Punt! Run Wildcat(run) Pass Punt! It's like the play calling is drawn out before the game and we run a play based on where we thought we'd be after the previous play. The Defense is rediculous so we don't even need to talk about them. Do we even have a D1 player that could start for any team in the Big12 playing on D????

James McGuire 10 years, 6 months ago

UConn under Edsall has been slightly better than mediocre. I know that's better than where we're at now, but that won't cut it in the Big 12.

Aside from rebuilding taking at least four years, is there any other reason you can give for keeping Gill?

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Reggie Mitchell, Carl Torbush, Darrian Miller etc. He has spent his time building and not patching. It takes time.

Pitthawk34 10 years, 6 months ago

Our facilities are second to none? The shell of the stadium sure is not second to none. Have you been over to the West side...terrible. How about a track at our stadium. How can we be taken seriously with a damn track. This is 2011 not the 1970s. The shell of our stadium is far behind.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

Did someone pee in your friggin cereal this morning? Why are you such an ass seriously? Right now it is hard to say who the coaching options would be because we could consider lots of people depending on who maybe interested in coming. Yes Leach is a popular choice because he is a winner. Word is Jeff Fisher wants to coach in college so it would be interesting. Other options: Phil Fulmer Major Applewhite Brent Vennables Vantz Singletary has been mentioned as a candidate.

You happy numnuts?

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Nope. But thanks for at least stepping to the plate. Major Applewhite is hilarious. Where did you come up with that? He's the reason the Texas offense is down right now. I don't see any of those others as options. can you explain why you do?

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey, I applaud your research. It's all I asked for. At least there is something to talk about instead of spitting venom on Gill. I'm not an apologist. I'm just saying he deserves the chance to implement his recruits into his system. He's been dealt a terrible hand. 4 years.

Billy Derringer 10 years, 6 months ago

KG is Gills personal but licker or his agent one

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

This was the most frustrating game of the year for me, and I'll tell you why. I listened to the game in Omaha on the Iowa State network, and their announcers are good and very fair. These are some samples of what I heard (paraphrased of course). "What kind of a play call was that on third and goal when you only need a yard?" "Irresponsible punt coverage by Kansas. That fake was too easy!" "When are the Kansas coaches going to recognize Iowa State likes to run Barnett on third down and put a spy on him?" "Terrible clock management by Kansas. A minute and a half went off the clock and they aren't even rushing out their punt unit!"

Good coaching wasn't going to win the OSU game or the OU game, and I'm not into moral victories. But a better coached game WOULD have won this game, and it didn't! THIS SUCKS!!!

lv_jhwk 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, listened to that broadcast as well (well, the fourth quarter while out of the house and away from the computer). I had the same "telling it like it is" opinion of the ISU announcers, and have every belief that they would agree with your last two sentences.

Doug Fisher 10 years, 6 months ago

KGphoto, are you TG's daughter or something?? You are perhaps the only Gill supporter on this thread. He can't even beat a lousy ISU team!!

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Interesting you call me a girl, noman. Yes perhaps I am the only person on this site that has any vision or patience. You'll have to do better than that.

peter56321 10 years, 6 months ago

nomansland wasn't calling you a "girl", nomansland was implying that only one of Gil's immediate family members would be crazy enough to actually be sticking up for this guy.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

The implication was that I was his daughter. And I'm not crazy. I'm the only reasonable person left on this thread. It takes time.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Explain how calling someone someones daughter isn't calling him a girl?

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Hmm well there is this big work called implying, but hey someone as foolish as you doesn't understand. Do I need to spoon feed you? Look we are all proud that you made it to college for a semester. Truly we are.

to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated: His words implied a lack of faith.

He very much suggested both. By choosing a female he implies that he is a girl. For instance, "you eat like a pig"

By your logic (or lack of) you would say he's not calling him a big. But because the statement was there, the implication was also there.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Kg you just don't get it. It's not about gill "building" it's about a coach going for it on 4 th down on the 5 but kicking it on 4th down on the 1. It's about a coach punting with under 3 minutes left and expecting the worst defense in division 1 to get a stop. Consistently throwing short passes on third and long or running it up the middle.

The problems on the field have nothing to do with turners type of players or what he is trying to accomplish. It's about ineptitude on the coaching staff and their decision making.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Dude you hit the nail on the head! No question he's a nice guy but his coaching is poor at best!

Lloyd Kinnison 10 years, 6 months ago

Gil will say, "we made progress today' actually scored 10 points. Time for Gil to resign.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

We held them to 10 points so that is the improvement. We did score too so milk and cookies for everyone! Oh, and each player can say one cuss word this week without getting in trouble.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

They will be allowed to say damn. Should have mentioned which word it will be. Eye contact with a girl? That could lead to a lack of focus and execution on the field. Now you are getting crazy.

frank mcguinness 10 years, 6 months ago

I can't hear the post game comment from Gill, somebody please tell me what he is saying has improved.

TLR 10 years, 6 months ago

KG Photo is really Perkins trying to justify his weak hire.

rhollinshed 10 years, 6 months ago

Did everyone buy their slice - o - matic? They had to show that commercial every time out. That was as bad as losing a winable game.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I'd buy the dumb thing if I could use it to slice up Turner Jel's contract.

FreddyinLA 10 years, 6 months ago

I went with the Bosley hair replacement instead.

Fox really makes money showing these games?

Kenny Terry 10 years, 6 months ago

I feel sorry for our seniors next week. RG3 is going to torch our defense.

kuhawks28 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wish the tshirt fans who just started being fans when they bought the 'best year ever' shirts from a few years ago would stop telling the rest of us who know football what constitutes a good coach or how long it takes to have a winning program.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

Please explain this post. I'm curious who this is aimed at exactly and what it is you know about football that other do not. I'm not even being funny here. If you make a post like this, I would expect some sort of ammunition and a few facts to make your point.

Ibajayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Hi, I'm your head coach and due to the fact the Mr. Howard, Ms. Gray-Little and Mr. Zenger all want me here, you all are screwed. So for the next three whole years ENJOY!!!!

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

You just said screwed so does that mean you are cussing? Did you just break your contract by cussing? You are fired lol

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

KG, I admire your patience and I was like you a couple months ago. I have a feeling that Gill is going to get another year to prove himself, and I really hope you end up being right about this. But I just don't see it, and I'm getting more frustrated every week. Something needs to change. If we can somehow eek out a win before the season ends, maybe I'll become more optimistic, but not so much right now.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Interesting that Les Miles was quoted about that this week. He mentioned that his consistency was the key to his success. Not that he changed at the first sign of adversity.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

I actually agree that some type of consistency is one of the most important parts to any program. I have spent a lot of my life in Nebraska, and they rarely change coaches, even coordinators. Maybe you'll be right when it comes to Gill, but you are definitely right that at some point we have to find some. Anybody who doesn't understand that should remember what happened when Mason did his Georgia two-step and the program just faded away into Terry Allen.

Kenny Terry 10 years, 6 months ago

This season is over. There is no way we get a win in our last 3 games. Baylor will destroy us and no way Texas A&M and Missouri will lose to us.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Bring it!!! I'll take you all on!

"I'm Kick @ss", and I'm not going anywhere.

babyjay1 10 years, 6 months ago

I have to say that I was a little relieved TG did something stupid and lost the game. Maybe that helps "seal the deal" a little more for SG. Gives little room to think TG is coaching better and why not give him another year... Wishful thinking?

Ibajayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

kg is really tg's daughter using the athletic depts computer.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Haha. There goes the emasculation again. Really?

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

Personally, I like that KG is on here. I may not agree, but KG is obviously pretty passionate about KU football, and I think we can all get on board with that!

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

It should be noted that kg is also in favor of keeping the track!

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

If that's the case, KG just lost me!!! OMG, do I hate that track!!!

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

If you burned that track, the stadium might catch on fire and they would have to build a fancy new one for nobody to sit in. That would be sad.

Brian Skelly 10 years, 6 months ago

I wonder who we all need to cut checks to to make this happen?

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

You can not teach talent, it is not possible. I have had many people work for me that were bad hires from previous administration (and even a few were my bad hires) and the first thing I did with those who had no talent was to get rid of them. It would be a waste of my time as a manager to spend time with those who have no talent. With all of the coaching blunders on the field, can The University of Kansas afford to wait and see what most of us already seeing, that Turner Gill is lacking in the talent department?

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't use your real name if you are firing personnel without cause. Performance related fires are a little slipperier outside of the sports world.

That said, I think Gill's first real recruiting class has been exciting. I love watching these running backs. Darrian Miller is the most exciting RB, perhaps in my KU lifetime.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

I should have went into more detail, those who were let go were not without approval from a strong HR department, and in my line of business performance based issues are grounds for termination and those who do not have talent are quick to make mistakes that warrent termination with cause.

I do agree with you, I think that there are some pieces to build upon player wise but the coaching staff is making to many mistakes and not using that talent to its fullest potential in my opinion. The even bigger question for me is if Gill is fired do those players stay or transfer.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

My guess is you don't hire people to 7 figure 5 year contracts with the only way to get rid of them is pay them 5 years of salary either! We only do that at public universities where the alum cough up the buyouts!

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

I know my whole post was more geared towards talent, I understand the whole contract issue.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah I was just pointing it out to a few who are Gill's sack!

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

8 figure...must have been a round error. 10,500,000

Mat Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

The defense played well enough to win, and the offense hasn't shown up since the first half of TT. I like Chuck Long as a person and as a position coach, but as the OC, the offense is going nowhere fast. They're moving the ball, but unfortunately, it isn't forward. He was a good coordinator at OU, but with theit talent, it doesn't take a great playcaller to win games. I believe Gill will be back, but there needs to be a bit of a shakeup on the staff. The good news from today's game was that the players haven't quit on the season. I saw some fight, and I was proud of that.

tbbucboy21 10 years, 6 months ago

i think the trouble with long is jordan webb. Long ran a pro style @ OU and would like to run that @ KU but Webb is not a qb who can run the pro style. Webbs not a bad qb but he isnt the qb for long. we need a qb tall enough to see over the line without having to snap the ball 7 yds deep in shotgun each play. (brock berl. any1 next yr?) we need some playmakers on the outside 2

Mat Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

Totally agree. I don't think Webb is the QB. I just don't see it. He isn't good. Good arm? Sure, but he has no idea where it's going. Speed? He runs the 40 in 4.5. Sadly that's 4 minutes and 50 seconds. I honestly don't know what the answer is. He isn't the QB that is going to lead us. Seems like a good kid, but he isn't getting it done. Either go with Mecham or move Pick back. What we're doing isn't working, and to keep doing it is the definition of insanity.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah Webb is NOT a Big12 caliber QB. I'm not sure he'd play at most JUCO's!

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Also noted: Kg sends an edible arrangment to Ray B after every women's volleyball loss with a note to cheer him up.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Ha. What are you bored? Do I bother you?

seattlehawkfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Turner Gill at KU reminds me alot of Tyrone Willingham at U W

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Weren't you just admonishing me for name-calling?

manginodrh00lz 10 years, 6 months ago

Mocking us will get you no where. Stay focused my friend....stay focused.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 6 months ago

Yes, always focused - forever... and ever.

Chris Bailey 10 years, 6 months ago

What do all of the following have in common?? Bill Young, Nolan Cromwell, Mike Leach, Mike Stoops, Brent Venables, Larry Fedora.......... Everyone of their wives could out coach Gill and staff! Hell just hearing these guys talk you would pick up some coaching abilities!

manginodrh00lz 10 years, 6 months ago

Jhawkinnebraska! You're back...we missed your simple, hayseed wisdom.

FreddyinLA 10 years, 6 months ago

Entertaining game. ISU’s a tough place to win. Their QB is a tough kid, and good to boot. ISU coaches couldn’t figure out how good he was? That’s bad coaching.

Why wasn’t Bourbon or Sims used inside the red zone?? Love Miller’s shiftiness, but not so much inside the 10.

Sims fumbles and never plays again. It was a terrible fumble, but worthy of being benched the rest of the game??

I hate it when the play-by-play guy figures out we need to shadow the ISU quarterback way before our coaches figure it out.

I find it hard to believe our coaches have finally figure out our kicker can’t kick. This is after coming up empty twice on nice drives in the 1st half.

Why go for it on 4 and 1 on the 5 and not 4 and 1 on the 1??? And then bring in a kicker on his 1st attempt ever. Head scratcher.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Kg thinks Terry Allen was one more year away from turning the program around

Mat Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

Whoever said we should hire Mike Stoops needs to pee in a cup. Yeah, hire a guy who was just canned. That'd rally the troops. He's a good coordinator, but he was marginal at best at U of A and he was there 7 years. Just an observation.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

I hear some of those chicks are hot! lol

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Uconn didn't break .500 until year 4 and got blown out by Temple in year 3 of Edsall's tenure. Temple. Two years later he won the Big East. He did that with the same philosophy as Gill's. He was hired by the same guy.

No comparison?

deathtomizzou 10 years, 6 months ago

I guess the best thing we can hope for is a change in the coach and the coaching staff. There seems to be no adjustment made during halftime and during the week. I wish no one to lose their livelyhood but we as fans and more importantly these athletes who work their butts off all year long deserve better than Turner Gill and his staff. It's time to end this nightmare in KU football.

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Those players are totally behind Gill.

Annette Lee 10 years, 6 months ago

Superior line and good running backs = win in this game ! Why did we loose ? Poor tackling and inferior coaching ! Also I would replace BELIEVE with KNOW as in KNOW YOUR JOB !

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 6 months ago

That doesn't answer the question of where he/she is!!

Oh 100.... where are youuuuu???

Mickster 10 years, 6 months ago

Please remind me again why Coach Mangino was fired? Oh yeah...I forgot. He was MEAN to the players. So...how's Gill's LOVE FEST working out for us?

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Tell me when Mangino was under fire who stood up and defended him? Yay when players don't defend their coach, you have problems.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

KG- Ill give you names.

Kirby Smart- Defensive Coordinator Alabama John Chavis- Defensive coordinator LSU Bill Young- DC OSU Brent Venables- DC OU Mark Helfrich- OC Oregon June Jones- HC SMU (this is a stretch)

Coaches we should NOT HIRE Mike Leech- Reputation Jim Tressel- Reputation Mike Stoops- Already failed Tommy Tuberville- You seen Tech the past two weeks?

rob4lb 10 years, 6 months ago

I agree that a coaching change should be made, but I suspect Gill will get another year. I think it will be too much of a financial hit. I can see some spin coming from the administrators referring to the tough schedule and some of that may be valid. OU, OSU are dominating everyone except for that Tech game. OU has put 41 on A&M and they killed K-State. UT seems to be improving every week. In the losses to the Techs, there were flashes of competitiveness. I can't figure out the K-State game, but these other schools are not just blowing out KU.

I do believe that coaching is a problem. I think the TT game should have been more competitive. I watched the ISU game and wasn't thrilled with the play calling. I do think the coaching staff does not have alot of confidence in Jordan Webb which is why the play calling is so conservative.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

I think it's naive to say there's "no chance!" He might get fired, but I hope, for your sanity, that you aren't really that sure it's gonna happen. If you are, you may be sadly disappointed. Six million dollars is a lot of money.

rob4lb 10 years, 6 months ago

I think I just became a fan today of my other alma mater. Northwestern looks like they are going to get a win in Lincoln.

rockchalkjhawk1 10 years, 6 months ago

Is anyone else actually happy that we lost. Guys this means we can fire the dumb a$$ and get a real coach

FLJHK 10 years, 6 months ago

Just a few alternative thoughts on the Turner Gill situation… At this point I lean toward supporting a coaching change, but believe the decision should not be made until the season is complete. If KU wins any of the remaining games, another year may be in order.

There are some factors that favor keeping Gill. Virtually anyone knowledgeable about college football (I’m speaking of other folks, certainly not me) says that you need to give a new coach at least 3-4 years to implement his system and recruit his type of players. That takes a great deal of patience and whether or not Gill deserves that is to me an open question. From what I’ve observed, he appears to have done a decent job in recruiting.

Also, one thing folks seem to overlook is how tough the Big 12 is in football. Top to bottom, I’ve heard from several national evaluators that the Big 12 is by far the best conference. Certainly the two best teams in the nation are in the SEC, but otherwise the SEC is having a very down year. Ark. and S. Car. are fairly good, but the rest are mediocre to weak. By contrast, every team in the Big 12, except KU, is either very good or at least competitive. So the Big 12 isn’t a very conducive environment for trying to establish a new program.

Another positive for Gill is that it appears to me that he has not lost the locker room. If so, that is not an insignificant achievement, given the difficulties this team has experienced.

And of course, there is the contract.

However, if as most on this site believe, Gill is simply in over his head, and not making a coaching change will only set this program back even farther, then he needs to go. Also, if keeping Gill further alienates the fan base, as would seem to be likely if the opinions on this site are reflective of the broader Jayhawk Nation, there may not realistically be a choice.

My heart still hopes the team wins out from here, and lays the groundwork for a top-notch program headed by Gill for years to come. My head says that ain’t gonna happen and that a coaching change is all but certain.

FLJHK 10 years, 6 months ago

Unless you are promoting from within as happens only occasionally and generally with elite programs, when you are bringing in a new coach and staff you are by definition establishing a new program.

Gill has given me no reason to be a supporter and I'm not re-opening the Mangino firing question. But generally speaking, it does take more than two years to establish a new system. It's not looking like Gill deserves that generally needed amount of time but I'm willing to wait three more games.

FLJHK 10 years, 6 months ago

The critique of Gill is fair, but the comparison to those other programs is weak. USC and Auburn have about a century of excellence, and Oregon was blessed with a major cash infusion from Paul Allen, I believe.

Mangino's overall Big 12 record was poor, but the team was competitive, and I agree that Gill has made a competitive team a non-competitive one.

James McGuire 10 years, 6 months ago

Oregon is blessed with a constant stream of cash from Nike cofounder Phil Knight. Paul Allen is the cofounder of Microsoft and owner of the Portland Trailblazers.

James McGuire 10 years, 6 months ago

Chip Kelly was promoted from within, but he was still able to extend, and increase, the success they had while he was offensive coordinator to when he became the head coach.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

Chizik, first off has a very average team this year. Second, Chizik had a average Iowa State team and proceeded to make it a bad team. Terrible example

bud9514 10 years, 6 months ago

i think Kansas needs to get a Coach like Jim T from Ohio St. They need a good recuiting coach.. Mr.Gill this is not Buffalo This is a big 12 school so they need a good coach to recuit flordia Cali States like thAT MANGINO did a great job while he was in lawrence so anyway GO KU JAWHAWKS

HAUS

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 6 months ago

All the way with a red hot poker! A red hot poker!!!

(Name that movie... go ahead)

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Coaching Names that are more qualified than Coach Gill: Leach, Fulmer, Stoops (although this isn't a good choice), Sumlin, Gruden, Cowherd, Herm Edwards (although I'm not sure if he is terrific), Jim Tressel, Urban meyer, Mark Mangino (just put that out there, because he is more qualified), Kyle Willingham, Boise State head coach.

I could go to Assistant Coaches like Venables, anybody on the Alabama or LSU coaching staffs.

I'm sure there are others, but clearly there are some people making a lot less and would be interested in coaching again.

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

I am not a Gill hater if that is what some people think. I am always a supporter of a coach to succeed and do well. Each week I root for us to do well and possibly win. Gill is a good man and anyone knows that. If he were to win the last three games or at least produce a competitive team I would think the team is improving and to consider bringing him back for year 3.

At this moment I don't see overall improvement from this team and the coaching is shown to be highly questionable. I will put this question out there just for the sake of it and let's see what people think okay. Let's say Gill gets a shot for year 3: What changes need to be done? Realistically what should be done if for some reason he got one more year?

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Is moving Gill to waterboy an option?

On a more serious note, I don't thin TG gets a third year, but if by some reason he does, Vic Shealy is not qualified to be a DC. He has to be replaced. We have co-defensive coordinators and co-offensive coordinators. It seems like we have too many people involved with the decisions. In most places they have a clear line of authority. Unfortunately TG isn't authoratative, so he has just co-delegated, I don't think that works. TG has to be more authoratative, including getting in the face of coaches and players.

Offensively we are very repetitive, one of the things that MM did was move the pocket around, screens, counters, and an occasional trick play. TG needs to mix in some type of options (not the option) into the playbook, right now every defensive end and tackle can set their sites on 2-5 yards behind center and he is going to either get the QB or the RB (so predictable) and easy to blitz to a point.

Defensively, there is a reason that very few teams run a 3-4 defense, because you have to have a talented nose tackle. If you don't have that the 3-4 doesn't work and will never work. I'd love to run a complex scheme, but the fact of the matter is, we don't have the key piece for that defense, so we shouldn't be running it. Additionally, we have to get pressure and that means blitzing. We have to be creative in getting pressure and since we are giving up such big plays all the time, we may need to take a chance here and there.

Minimally, Vic Shealy is out. Long should be out, but probably won't be, but he needs to come up with some improved plays and play calling or that should be shifted to someone else.

I think I hit on some things, but I am not a coach and I'm sure there are other things.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Common problems that Gill defenders rely on: 1) Gill needs time to build a program--Gill was actually not hired to build a program, he was hired to "elevate the program to the next level". That means taking a team that was playing about .500 ball, beating the teams it was supposed to, and being competitive against top 25 teams was expected to be better under TG's tenure. 2) Gill can recruit--Um he recruited one 4 star QB that he can't get to practice. He also has not been able to get one of the top lineman he recruited to KU. This year he has about 10-15 scholarships to give out, and he can't fulfill them, and it sounds like some are starting to consider whether to back out of their oral commitments. 3) Gill turned around the Buffalo program--Gill had a 20-30 mark at buffalo with one winning season 8-6, with 3 overtime victories that year and a bowl game loss. He may have helped buffalo, but turning around a program is not what he was hired to do as mentioned above. Additionally, the following year he had a losing record...hmm that sounds like another coach we had. 4) Need 3-4 years to build a program--Nick Saban needed one at Alabama, Bob Stoops needed 2 at OU, Gundy needed 1, Harbough 1, I believe that Jim Carroll at USC was competitive after 1, Urban Meyer after 1, Les Miles at OSU and LSU, Leach 2, Mangino 2, Snyder 2, Kelly 2 at cincy and ND, Lou Holtz at ND, Sperrier at FU, 5) He has shown improvement--I haven't seen a coach that was bad in his first two years that was given 3-4 years that ended up doing good...The colorado coach, Neushasel at UCLA, Houston Nutt at Ole Miss, Charlie Weiss, Rich Rodrigues at Michigan, weinstaft at Pittsburg, Jim Fisher is at year 2

The fact of the matter is you can tell a lot after 2 years, that is the timeframe that you can evaluate and personally it is easy to evaluate TG, he is incompetent and let's admit it, in his contract it says if he is incompetent he can be dismissed with cause.

Case closed...get rid of him, pay him a negotiated buy-out and let's move on.

JhawkalumJB 10 years, 6 months ago

4 is a great observation. It seems to me that in the coaching world, you either got 'it' or you don't and Gill has not shown that he's got 'it' at all. I would love to see Leach on the sidelines in crimson and blue. He would bring instant credibility to KU football.

JhawkalumJB 10 years, 6 months ago

Yea! Somebody with zero coaching experience! Perfect! He's an icon yes, coach no.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I vote for the High School coaches at Hutchinson, Smith Center, Beloit or Gardner-Edgerton.