Back to game coverage

Long Beach St. at Kansas coverage

Kansas defeats Long Beach State, 88-80

• 8 p.m., Dec. 6, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: KU holds off Long Beach State, 88-80

Thomas Robinson scored 26 points to go with 14 rebounds, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to an 88-80 victory over Long Beach State on Tuesday night.

Robinson made 10 of 14 shots, which included an 8-for-8 performance in the first half.

A James Ennis three-pointer cut KU's lead to 84-80 with 44 seconds left, but two free throws each from Tyshawn Taylor and Jeff Withey helped KU close out the win.

Withey finished a block short of a triple-double, ending with 13 points, 13 rebounds and nine blocks.

KU won despite 22 turnovers, with 16 of those coming in the second half. The Jayhawks were also foul-prone, surrendering 37 free throws.

Conner Teahan (14), Taylor (12) and Travis Releford (10) added double-figure scoring.

KU (6-2) will play host to Ohio State at 2:15 p.m. Saturday.

KU coach Bill Self postgame press conference.

Comments

TheStonesSuck 10 years, 5 months ago

Please don't come back, no one here likes you.

Mike Skiles 10 years, 5 months ago

Please make your departure permanent, thank you.

Doug Fisher 10 years, 5 months ago

Some of you need to take off the Crimson and Blue glasses. Pigballin is just telling it like it is. Fact is it's a down year. Self needs to do better on the recruiting trail. No doubt these early round exits have turned some away from this great program.

fansincewilt 10 years, 5 months ago

I wish they would leave the live coverage on for a while longer after the game. The automatic reset is nice. You don't have all this preview comment, etc., etc.

Ashwin Rao 10 years, 5 months ago

TT needs to act like a senior and not make so many errors... The turnovers, the unnecessary fouls etc don't help the team! Otherwise he is a good player... just needs better control.

Mike Kendall 10 years, 5 months ago

Well, I will try and catch the game on Saturday with OSU. No guarantees. My wife is having major surgery on Friday. Good luck with the Buckeyes, Hawks!

Just keep improving!

Kent Wells 10 years, 5 months ago

Major surgery? Don't even worry about the damn game. I hope all goes well...

Mike Kendall 10 years, 5 months ago

Thanks! Your advise is wise. I probably just catch a score.

Kent Wells 10 years, 5 months ago

Just don't get caught peeking at the score and let me know how it goes!

Lash 10 years, 5 months ago

I don't think his math is that good. Where was Tharpe?

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 5 months ago

Just heard Self's post game interview and I think that he is getting a bit too excited and critical! Save that for consumption at practice. He needs to chill a bit!

CRAZY4KUSPORTS 10 years, 5 months ago

If I were Self I would be animated as well. We tried as hard as we could to give the game away. My concern is why Taylor continues to be allowed to turn the ball over again and again. Then a guy like Kevin Young gets beat off the dribble and never sees the floor again

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 5 months ago

Young will never play much until he learns to play better defense. Too bad, because he's a great rebounder. And how did you like that foul on poor Withey? I guess he attacked that guy's hand with his nose.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 5 months ago

He did tug on the jersey before the lbs went up for the shot.

Bill Shaw 10 years, 5 months ago

How many points were scored off of those 16 2nd half turnovers?

Lash 10 years, 5 months ago

I respect Self as person, coach, allegiance to players. This is TT fourth year and we still struggle at the point. Nobody will ever take it away from TT. I thought tonight we showed better ball movement when TT was out. Did Tharpe transfer? Should he?

theend 10 years, 5 months ago

Stop complaining.....this is a process. KU will be better.....and we will beat OSU.

For those of you that are not happy with Ku's team this year.....deal with it.

Brian Conrad 10 years, 5 months ago

not unhappy just the mistakes are so correctable , IF TT wants .. stop the lazy passes we win by 45 . cut turnovers to single figures and we beat OSU our defense will be tough. Sullinger will have hard time scoring against Whitey and T Rob .. our guards may be lazy passers , but they can defend.. cut out the slop and you will win .. big game boys..

Tony Bandle 10 years, 5 months ago

1] TRob was the star, but Jeff and Conner won the game. I never thought I'd ever say that.

2] Travis showed signs of actually breaking to the hoop...keep it up and make yourself a threat!!

3] I thought both coaches were going to suffer strokes..was the refereeing that bad?? It looked pretty equal to me.

4] No doubt this is the least overall physically talented team that HCBS has ever had. How we are 6-3 with all the turnovers is beyond me, but I'll take it.

5] It looks like an eight man rotation for now.

6] Ohio State will be a huge challenge..let's hope KU plays to the level of it's opposition.

7] How hard is it to tell your player..this guy shoots the three like nobodies business-stay in his grill and make him drive around you??!!

8] Just with these first 9 games, TRob may already be lottery-bound!!

9] It's amazing the range from bad plays to good plays the Prophet is capable of.

10] Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers......like a broken record.

Ian Brown 10 years, 5 months ago

<p>foxsports.com and espn.com both say TRob had 11 rebounds.

<p>KUsports.com says 14 rebounds.

Which is it? 11 rebounds and KUsports erred using homer statistics, or is it 14 rebounds and ESPN and Fox Sports are up to their usual shenanigans and inaccurately reporting all sporting news west of the original thirteen colonies? (especially if that news happens to be KU related)

Ross Hartley 10 years, 5 months ago

We just are not getting good guard play. High turnovers coupled with low assist numbers don't lead a team the way quality guards should.

Ross Hartley 10 years, 5 months ago

Brian Conrad 10 years, 5 months ago

hit the gym for 5 hours nothing but two handed passes.. Hey TT if Releford can pass the ball with both hands... stop the LAZY passing ! lazy one handed shove passes .. pitiful; put in some effort to pass and you may win a few games your senior year! IF you want to sniff the NBA .. better get turnovers down and value the ball

Ian Brown 10 years, 5 months ago

While I agree with you in that I believe Tyshawn needs to "learn" how to pass the ball and value each possession, I disagree when you say, "if Releford can pass the ball with both hands..."

Now I assume you're implying that Releford passes the ball better than Tyshawn, not only in terms of accuracy, but fundamentally as well, and that Tyshawn should take note of it and use Releford as a model... Well, unfortunately, that simply is not so. They both happen to turn the ball over at about the same rate, and it's not good.

They each have a negative assist-to-turnover ratio, both having handed the ball to the opposing team three more times than they've hit a teammate with a pass that resulted in a bucket. (Releford, 15 assist:18 turnovers; Tyshawn, 29:32).

Sadly, it's not just Tyshawn that's turning over the ball at an alarming rate and is simply careless with the ball in general. It's the entire team.

In fact, there are just two players in the regular rotation with a positive ratio. Surprisingly, Elijah has the best assist-to-turnover ratio on the team with a whopping 30:19 ratio, while Teahan has a 9:6 ratio. Everyone else is in the red.

Coach Self said before the season started that focus would be a problem for this team, EJ and Tyshawn in particular, and that wasn't just coach-talk; he was telling the absolute truth. A vast majority of our turnovers are from lazy passes and a number of different mental lapses.

How do you teach/coach focus? I'm not sure. Jaybate might know the answer to that one. But I'm afraid Tyshawn will never be able to harness 100% of his attention and focus it entirely on the play at hand for an entire game. I had high hopes for him prior to the season, but I'm afraid I was quite mistaken. Tyshawn is a better shooter and scorer than he was when he came in as a freshman, but, in my opinion, he has made very little, if any, progress in terms of maturing on the court and improving his ability to maintain focus throughout an entire game.

Mike Skiles 10 years, 5 months ago

And for gods sake, please clean up the sloppy inbound of the ball! It was a comedy (or errors) in the 2nd half of this game, a real lack of focus.