How to access Kansas basketball on ESPN+

Kansas guard Ochai Agbaji (30) gets up for a shot at the bucket after a pass from Kansas guard Christian Braun (2) during the second half, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019 at Allen Fieldhouse. by Nick Krug

With several upcoming KU basketball games, along with dozens of other Big 12 Conference events, being televised exclusively on the ESPN+ streaming platform, here’s a quick rundown of how you can use ESPN+ and get signed up.

Although this setup is impacting Kansas basketball 10 times this season — including tonight’s exhibition game and four conference games — the move was made at the conference level, when the Big 12 last spring chose to significantly expand its rights agreement with ESPN, which runs through the 2024-25 seasons.

Eight of the Big 12’s 10 schools will produce and deliver live athletic events on the Big 12 Now/ESPN+ platform, with only Texas and Oklahoma not regularly appearing as home teams during such broadcasts. Both of those schools have other existing rights agreements that could not be altered, but both will appear on Big 12 Now/ESPN+ broadcasts as road teams.

OK. So here’s what you need to know about actually getting the games in front of you.

Signing up for ESPN+ is a piece cake and comes with a cost of $4.99 per month or $49.99 for the year. Just follow this link to create your account — you’ll need to have your credit card ready and be prepared to create a username and password — and you’ll be more than halfway there.

It’s important to note that you can cancel the service at any time.

Once you have an account, you can sign in to access the games and hundreds of other ESPN+ programs through most major mobile and TV-connected platforms, including iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Android devices, Roku, Chromecast, FireTV, XBOX One, Playstation 4, Oculus Go and Samsung connected TVs.

ESPN+ content is also available online at ESPN.com.

You can view the games on your phones, tablets or computers, view them through apps and streaming installed on your Smart TVs or cast them to your televisions from your mobile devices if you have Chromecast and others by simply clicking on the casting icon on your screen.

In summary:

Create an account

• Sign in with your username and password on the ESPN app or on ESPN.com

• Enjoy the games on your TV through a casting service or watch them on your mobile devices or computers

Comments

Phil Leister 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Calling it a "casting service" isn't exactly accurate. Only a Chromecast requires you to "cast" something from your mobile device. The same is not true for FireTV or Roku, of which I have both. On them, I have various apps installed - Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, etc. So there's no clicking on a casting icon - I simply use the Roku/FireTV remote and navigate my TV like normal.

I've never understood people's beef with ESPN+. Sure $5 a month extra sucks, but I cancel once football and basketball season is over. The quality is just like any cable TV ESPN broadcast. If it's not, the problem is your internet connection.

Phyllis Hartwick 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I only used it one month last year and just to get to watch the first two games was well worth the $5. I live in AZ, so we do not get anything that is local in KS. It is worth $5 per month for me to watch the Jayhawks play basketball. The majority of games are on ESPN, but I sure do not want to miss the West Virginia or Iowa State games! I will cancel on March 5th after the last TCU game that is Senior night.

Fred Lucky 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I have ESPN+ and it works great on my computer. I have not tried it on Apple TV. My question is how can I set a device up to record the event when I'm gone or not otherwise able to view it at the time of the broadcast. Has anyone figured that out?

Dale Rogers 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I haven't figured out how to record them but I think the games are usually available for replay on ESPN+. I'm not sure just how quickly they are available, though. Our tr in the living room is not a smart tv so I connect an old laptop to the tv via hdmi cable and we watch the games on the large screen.

Kent Gaylor 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Matt -

So how much per year was KU receiving for its Tier-3 rights (Jayhawk network) before and how much is it getting now through the Big 12/ESPN+

David Robinett 2 weeks, 6 days ago

It works pretty well, and come on, it's only $5 and easy to subscribe and easy to cancel.

Tips: bookmark the starting point: http://watch.espnplus.com

When I go there, they have a pop-up that is seemingly impossible to get past - it says "you already have the monthly plan, but you should sign up for the annual plan" - there is no "No Thank You or Exit button. I just hit the Back button on my browser, and it put me in the right place, ready to select a show.

Pius Waldman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Well yes it would be great to have broadcasts on regular channels available. But it appears ESPN is really making this worthwhile. Watching the Coach Miles show is amazing. Plus available other activities like volleyball and other sports is something unavailable until now. The agreement is with the Big 12 so not only KU. Also worldwide availability.

Chandler Accipiter 2 weeks, 6 days ago

When I look at my cable/satellite sports tier I see the ACC, Big 10, SEC, PAC 12, and Longhorn networks. Hmm interesting! I like the bonus coverage of ESPN+, but that list of networks say it all when addressing most folks issues with the Big 12 .

W Keith Swinehart II 2 weeks, 6 days ago

My South Carolina home perspective:

1) KU football and basketball games l would never get to see any other way. 2) I recently watched a KU women's volleyball game.I don't know about soccer or swimming, but would bet that there are events scheduled. 3) Hawk Talk for football, mens and women's basketball. 4) Football and basketball pressers. 5 ) "Miles to Go" streaming series. 6) Many Big 12 sports events (all sports).

You can stream ESPN+ on cell phones, Kindle Fire, smart TVs. You have to watch games and events per ESPN 's schedule. No DVR. I hear people criticize, but I think it's great. $50 per year to watch my favorite college events. It's a no-brainer.

Michael Maris 2 weeks, 6 days ago

All due to ESPN's deal with the Conference Destroying University otherwise known as The University of Texas. Had Texas did what was right for the entire conference (rather than just themselves), the Big XII would probably still be at 12 (or more Universities). aTm, Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado may all have stayed in the Conference. But, the University of Texas greed destroyed the ole Southwest Conference and working on destroying the Big XII Conference. You notice that the ESPN+ deal expires around the same time that the current. Big XII & ESPN TV contract expires.

Armen Kurdian 2 weeks, 6 days ago

The whole content on demand structure is becoming too fractured for my taste. Just too many streaming services out there right now. $50 isn't much, but it's just a little bit more on top of everything else. Plus with streaming, you can't DVR...so often I have to record or pause a live showing while watching, it's rare I get to watch an entire event in real-time.