Point guard Dajuan Harris commits to Kansas

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

The Kansas men’s basketball program has found a taker for its 13th and final scholarship for the 2019-20 roster.

Dajuan Harris, a fast-rising 3-star point guard who is destined to crack the Top 100 and earn a 4-star rating from Rivals.com when the updated ratings are released, announced his commitment to Kansas via Twitter on Tuesday night, just before 9 p.m.

A recent graduate of Rock Bridge High in Columbia, Mo., Harris plans to stay in the 2019 class — instead of taking a prep school year at Sunrise Christian Academy and reclassifying to 2020 — and is expected to begin classes at KU this fall.

Harris has been taking online classes this summer in order to make the move back to 2019 possible and has to finish up that work to clear the way for the move to KU.

Harris told KUsports.com recruiting insider Matt Scott that he hoped to arrive in Lawrence sometime next month.

A 6-foot-2, jet-quick point guard with good speed and vision, Harris announced his commitment via Twitter and included an edit of him in a white Kansas jersey — wearing No. 13 — with the words "110% committed" attached to the Tweet.

After initially committing to Missouri State as a member of the Class of 2019, Harris changed gears and temporarily reclassified into the 2020 class. But after recently receiving a release from his commitment to Missouri State and reopening his recruitment, Harris began fielding offers from some high-major programs, including Kansas.

That was just the beginning of his rise.

For MOKAN Elite AAU coach Chris Neff, who has seen it all and helped coach a lot of players to the Division I level, the past couple of weeks were as crazy as anything he had seen with a single player. And Neff credits Harris for his demeanor through it all in helping him land Tuesday's outcome.

“This is just a culmination of hard work and him being committed to keeping his head down and running the race," Neff told the Journal-World late Tuesday.

A strong showing at the Peach Jam AAU tournament in Georgia last weekend — he averaged more than eight assists per game in helping lead MOKAN Elite to the title — put Harris firmly on the national map and led to his decision to pick Kansas on Tuesday night.

Harris has strong connections to a couple of members of KU’s current roster — freshman Christian Braun, sophomore Ochai Agbaji and junior walk-on Chris Teahan all played for MOKAN — and also developed strong relationships with KU’s coaching staff.

"I'm very excited," Harris told the Journal-World shortly after committing. "They made me feel like home and believed in me."

Added Harris of what he will add to the KU roster: "Defense! Like taking charges and diving on the floor for loose balls. On the offensive side I'm going to make everyone around me better and set my teammates up for great shots — basically a playmaker."

Neff agreed with both assessments and said that MOKAN assistant coach Dave Milliren was locked into Harris' potential earlier than most.

"I'll never forget it," Neff began. "Three years ago, when he first joined our 17U team, I asked coach Dave Milliren, 'What level do you think Dajuan is?' And he looked at me immediately, like snapping his fingers, and said, ‘Oh, he’s a blue blood. He’s blue blood on his defense and deflections alone.' The kid has some Stacey Augmon length, going way back. You don’t want to be defended by this kid.”

Harris becomes the fifth freshman to join KU's 2019 recruiting class — all five will be 4-star prospects if Harris, as expected, gets the bump in his rating — and the sixth newcomer to join the Jayhawks this offseason, with senior graduate transfer Isaiah Moss (Iowa) being added to a freshman class that includes Braun, Issac McBride, Tristan Enaruna, Jalen Wilson and Harris.

None by Dajuan Harris

Comments

Tim Orel 1 month, 1 week ago

This is very good news. I'm happy that so many of KU's signees aren't seen as benchwarmers Maybe a walk-on or two might be a benchwarmer, but the scholarship players all seem able to challenge for minutes.. I might have been happier with a couple higher-rated players, but these guys generally seem like ones who will be around for the full four/five years to learn, grow into roles and, perhaps, become future POY's, like Frank and Dante.

Joseph Bullock 1 month, 1 week ago

My opinion on higher rated players based on how many ‘Stars’ are next to their name, is that there are a whole lot of players who are just as good, or better, but their Coaches simply didn’t Politic! I would put our 4 Star players up against any 5 Star players out there, any day! And I would also put Harris up against any of them. And we would win the game- Period!

Bill John 1 month, 1 week ago

The stars have lined up for a deep run to the Final Four!

Matt Gauntt 1 month, 1 week ago

It warms my heart to see a young man that grew up in Columbia, Mizzery see the light and want to escape that wretched state!!! Welcome to the land of milk and honey!!

Bryce Landon 1 month ago

Mine too. Cuonzo Martin has to be pissed.

Greg Bowles 1 month, 1 week ago

Watched his mix tape, this kid is a baller. Reminds me a lot of Dotson, quick, can get to the rim, takes contact and can finish and the kid can jump! Heck, when I played BB in high school, we were not allowed to dunk the ball, it was a technical foul. This kid makes it look easy. Glad to have you on board! RCJH!

Brad Avery 1 month, 1 week ago

His game reminds me, dare I say it, of Kirk Hinrich in that he makes his teammates better. Great passer. Gets the ball to others where they can score.

Russ Freeman 1 month, 1 week ago

I haven't watched any of his highlights. Glad he is a part of the program. With Dotson getting the majority of the PG minutes, with McBride backing him up, with Harris not arriving until fall, I wonder is Harris is a strong redshirt candidate. Basically take his prep-school season while on scholarship at KU.

Steve Quatrocky 1 month ago

Heck of an idea, given that he's much better off with Hudy working her magic and scrimmaging in our system against better athletes, than going to prep school. Especially when you've got Dotson to lead the team and learn from this year. Welcome Aboard, I love a kid who commits without hesitation, especially when he's from Columbia, MO

Larry Knzas 1 month, 1 week ago

Two things that come through in commitment of these 5 players - strong likelihood of staying in the program at least through their Junior year - - coach howard is routinely now referenced as a strong reason for choosing KU

Jeff Foster 1 month, 1 week ago

I remember what, just a couple of months ago when signed recruits looked a little thin and many naysayers proclaiming Self ALWAYS misses on the great prospects. Whether they're signed early or late, HCBS always comes through with a top recruiting class and when sports pundits start talking about class strengths, this freshman class has got to be top 5 or 6 nationally. #neverdoubtyourSelf

Eric Bernauer 1 month, 1 week ago

"when I played BB in high school, we were not allowed to dunk the ball, it was a technical foul"

Yeah, me too. That's what kept me from dunking, Well that and maybe the rim was too high.

David Black 1 month ago

Maybe the rim was too high......thanks for the laugh!

Jay Scott 1 month, 1 week ago

The best part of the formal completion of a deep and talented class is the effect it has on the Chicken Littles.

They're gone.

These recruits are like a pesticide that kills roaches. Hopefully we shan't see them until after a loss in January.

Unlike roaches, Chicken Littles are actually a form of entertainment, to some extent....

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 1 month, 1 week ago

This is an interesting class. It addresses the need of future classes more than next year's. I think our returning players will eat up nearly all of the available PT with the potential for Wilson to earn PT at the 3/4 positons and McBride to earn PT at the 1/2 positions. Hopefully this class will develop into the foundation for a junior & senior class that is strong across the board and offers the continuity that multiple one and done players do not.
Time will tell.

Jay Scott 1 month, 1 week ago

I'm curious why it's so often assumed that Wilson might play ahead of Enaruna who was ranked higher by Rivals.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 1 month, 1 week ago

That's just what I've heard - that Wilson is more of a finished product (for a freshman) versus Enaruna who has a very high ceiling but needs some time to polish his game and he's also very thin from the pictures I've seen. May need some time with Hudy in the weight room.

Tony Bandle 1 month ago

This class, like no other in a while, has the possibilities for a multiple number of redshirts.

The difference is that, although the freshman class has no five stars, the basketball potential of this incoming class seems remarkably high with the added bonus that, as Larry pointed out, there is a high likely hood that we have a bunch of, at least, three year players. [I think I touched my " inner Jaybate" with this sentence! ]

I miss that old hoss...I wonder if he is still on this plane of life???

Tony Bandle 1 month ago

Jay, you remind me a little of Jaybate although you can get your idea across in one sentence while Jaybate would take at least ten sentences....and love it!!

Ryan Mullen 1 month ago

Jaybate was my Uncle. On his death bed he admitted who he was. This was about 4 years ago. He told me the change of policy for posting is what killed him.

RJ King 1 month ago

Ryan - is this for real? If so, your uncle was a classic. Yoda with an attitude. I hope the two of you were close, and could opine together often and at length.

Ryan Mullen 1 month ago

He was a great guy. Very affluent.

Steve Quatrocky 1 month ago

Great Recruiting Job Coach Self! I really like this team(s).. Scrimmages are going to be against great opponents/teammates. This gives us Devon's replacement for 2020-21 while competing with McBride for minutes now. More locally grown kids here for at least a couple of years and fewer one and dones and transfers here for 7-9 months just rebuilt the program for the next run. We could even see Roy Like Substitutions if a message needs sending after a slow start. Should be an interesting road to the Final Four or at least darn close to it.

Steve Quatrocky 1 month ago

PS Also nice way to flip Mizzou the bird too, a Jayhawk of course, given the kid's from Columbia

Bryce Landon 1 month ago

Welcome to Kansas, Dajuan!

And thanks to LJW for getting the bottom-of-page ads out of control at last.

Len Shaffer 1 month ago

Hear, hear! That's the best news of all, that the endless ads are finally gone. (Oh and BTW, pretty awesome recruiting news too -- I especially love the kid's focus on defense!)

Sam Meyer 1 month ago

Welcome to KU and congrats on becoming a Jayhawk, Dajuan. He strikes me as having limited minutes this upcoming season, but the roster for 2020-21 will likely have tons of minutes for him. Excited to have him on board.

Len Shaffer 1 month ago

Given how much he focuses on defense, I wouldn't be so sure that he won't be in the rotation this year.

Joseph Bullock 1 month ago

There are a lot of really good posts here! I’m thinking 3 Redshirts. A lot of depth, which will keep kids fresh, and lessen the chance for injuries!!! Coach might use more than his traditional 7/8 deep, and we have the quickness, athleticism, and talent, to press all game, pressure everywhere with a tough ‘man to man’ defense, and not have to worry about foul trouble! I’m excited!

Brian Leslie 1 month ago

I think that this might be an "all-in" year for Coach Self, considering the likelihood of Dotson, DeSousa and Azubuike all playing in 2019-20. Lightfoot is the only one I see redshirting. Self very rarely redshirts freshmen. This will be up there for deepest KU team ever -- I'm not sure I can remember when our likely 13th-man was top-100.

RJ King 1 month ago

i believe Travis Releford and landon lucas red-shirted freshman year, Brady morningstar maybe his sophomore year? Those are the only roster players i can think of.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

“Jet quick PG” is like a Coach Self staple.

This, Harris joining 19/20, is very important given one comment from Coach that McBride is not a PG, and no clear backup. Maybe McBride can become one. I think the same comment was initially made of Frank, though that worked out great in time.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Travis redshirted but I believe it was his sophomore year. Landon didn’t play his first year but I seem to recall that being an eligibility issue. I think there was another big (Peters?) that had the same situation but he transferred. Ochai was the first freshman that I recall.