Elite guard Romeo Langford hosts Kansas coaches, sets visit to KU campus

New Albany guard Romeo Langford (1) shoots over McCutcheon forward Haden Deaton (32) in the second half of the Indiana Class 4A IHSAA state championship basketball game in Indianapolis, Saturday, March 26, 2016. New Albany won 62-59. (AP Photo/AJ Mast) by Matt Tait

Gregg Doyel, sports columnist for the Indianapolis Star, reported on Twitter Tuesday afternoon that five-star guard Romeo Langford, 6-foot-4, 185 pounds, from New Albany, Indiana, may be strongly leaning toward committing to Kansas.

In a series of Tweets, Doyel wrote: “Been talking to college coaches all day, and several believe (Indiana) is in final 2 for Romeo Langford (with Kansas). I don't like it because I want this kid in my state, but I’ve got coaches saying Romeo to Kansas is almost done. IU in it, but still... KU.”

And Tim Langford, the father of the No. 6-ranked player in the 2018 class, per Rivals.com, told Matt Scott of TheShiver.com that his son had scheduled an official visit to Kansas for Oct. 28.

Langford, already has visited Vanderbilt and also has visits scheduled to North Carolina (Oct. 13) and Indiana (Oct. 21) before checking out Kansas. If the five-star pure scorer were to choose to take his fifth and final visit, it likely would be with one of the three remaining schools that cracked his final seven — Louisville, Kentucky and UCLA.

KU assistant Jerrance Howard and head coach Bill Self were in Indiana on Monday night for an in-home visit with Langford and his family.

The five-star guard averaged 29 points per game last season and led New Albany High to a 25-4 record. He was named an Indiana Junior All-Star and first-team All-State by the Associated Press.

Comments

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 weeks ago

Exciting news, but all basketball recruiting news makes me a little bit nervous today!
Romeo would be a huge get for the program and he has the same surname of one of my all time favorite Jayhawks, Keith. What a fun name that would be as part of some Late Night skits or on some creative student signs in the field house.

Matt Tait 3 weeks ago

I don't blame you for the nerves, but you should view it as a good sign that KU and Bill Self are moving forward with business as usual...

Craig Carson 3 weeks ago

I think if KU was gonna be implicated on the Adidas scandal, it would have been known immediately

Tim Orel 3 weeks ago

I also really enjoyed Keith Langford's Mom's posts here to KUSports.

Matt Tait 3 weeks ago

It's hard to know for sure, but, if you have an opportunity to get two Top 10 guys in the same class — Top 6 in this case — you find a way to make sure there's room.

And, with Zion able to play the 3, I think there is easily room for both...

PG Devon Dotson SG Romeo Langford (or Quentin Grimes) SF Zion Williamson PF Silvio De Sousa C David McCormack

If KU lands something like that, or even close to that, in the 2018 recruiting class, you're talking about the potential for an all-time great class.

Tim Orel 3 weeks ago

And then, like Kentucky, we might have to go recruit a whole new roster the next season.

Craig Carson 3 weeks ago

maybe not exactly..KU has offered a few kids who arent high profile recruits...

Len Shaffer 3 weeks ago

The Fab 5 -- minus the recruiting scandal? Sounds great!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 weeks ago

That's the great thing about landing a couple guys early. Other recruits see the potential of playing with other great players and want to join in the fun.
You're right Matt. This class is shaping up to be one of the top classes in KU history.

Craig Carson 3 weeks ago

I always thought Grimes was KU bound, I hadnt heard too much about Langford..Im just hoping KU isnt brought up in this Adidas investigation..though I think if they were it would have been found out quickly and would have been front page type news...If KU does get Grimes AND Langford, Im not sure how Self is gonna manage minutes LOL

Aaron Paisley 3 weeks ago

Langford wasn't mentioned much with KU because he was long considered a lock for Louisville. The events of this week have obviously changed things.

Jonathan Allison 2 weeks, 6 days ago

if he is destined for an adidas school, then we are in good shape. tongue in cheek

Layne Pierce 3 weeks ago

Unlikely we get both Langford and Grimes, but who knows.
Grimes might just end up at Texas.

Craig Carson 3 weeks ago

if KU does get Langford, Id be all for Texas getting Grimes..I think its a good thing when other BIG 12 programs can land top recruits

Dirk Medema 3 weeks ago

And this class will be added to the latent group of Charlie Moore and the Lawsons. Through in a couple/few from this year's players that return and it's another knockout roster.

Almost makes you feel bad for the rest of the Big 12. Almost.

Ron Prichard 3 weeks ago

You have a softer heart than me, Dirk. Lol.

Brian Leslie 3 weeks ago

Romeo is 185 lbs; Zion Williamson is 230 lbs. They are totally different players and would not overlap at all. Zion has overwhelming physicality for a wing. Romeo is straight shooting guard.

Todd J. Bishop 3 weeks ago

If it came down to one of the two (Langford or Grimes), I think we would be better off with Grimes.

Steve Zimmerman 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Grimes and Romeo would be awesome, but I don't think that'll happen. We'll be in great shape with either one. But I agree, Todd, Grimes seems to have an edge.